InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Methods of the Heart ❯ Rain Deep in the Heart ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Hello all! YIKES! I’ve been gone a while. See, I’m in my fifth (and hopefully, final) year of college. For those of you who don’t know what that means I’ll explain. Imagine your worst teacher in high school and multiply him by five. Then have said teachers believe that his class is the only one that matters and should be the only one you’re taking at the time. Have said teachers all assign you a ‘month worth of work’ project every week plus one great final project that hangs over your head until December where you get to panic about it for two hours. You’re drinking ten cups of coffee a day despite hating the stuff and when you can get a full hours sleep, you’re lucky. Now add in friends that want to speak to you at the worst moments, a mother that’s mad cause she’s paying your bills and your not perfect, two head colds, migraines and a sever lack of any protein.

This is my life ladies and gentleman. And I am thankful for Thanksgiving... break. Hopefully my next update won’t take as long. But for a hint, I like reviews from you guys. It inspires me to write more, quickly. And if I hurry I should get another chapter out before the end of Christmas break. Hey, I would have had this one out sooner but finals struck like lightning. I’m still trying to catch up on the sleep dep.

I hope everyone likes this chapter. It might seem like I’m going a little sideways with Sango, but remember... She a strong woman and everything that entails. Kind and proud. Strong and defensive. I try to incorporate all of that when I write about her. Else she’d be Inu-Yasha, human and female. (ACK! It’s Inu-Yasha 1/2!)

-------------------------------

Chapter Five: Rain Deep in the Heart

-------------------------------

Piddip-piddip
< br> Sango pulled the blanket tighter around her shoulders as she shivered.

Drip…. Drip…. Piddip

She curled her legs under her body; Anything to keep warm. The rain fell harder to the ground, mocking her pitiful attempts to thaw her frozen limbs.

Piddip piddip piddip piddip drip drip drip

Wasn’t Miroku supposed to be back by now?

Drip.…... Driiip.…... Driiiiiiip.

“Dammit!” Sango slammed her fist in the ground. It had been raining since he left four days ago. Sango reminded herself that she didn’t care if he made it back or not. But the information he was getting for her… Well. He had to come back soon right?

Miroku had set off for her sake, to find news about Kohaku for her. She could still remember his solemn face when he left. She remembered his words like he’d just said them. “I won’t come back until I find something. I promise.” “Kagome keep watch over her for me?” “Don’t leave the village, at least until I get back. Please, Sango?”

PiddipPiddipPiddipPiddip

After a day and a half, Sango began to wonder if Miroku would ever find anything. Inu-Yasha had mistaken her far off look for one of worry. ‘Don’t worry. He ain’t stupid enough ta get himself killed.’

Sango knew that. She didn’t need the reminder. Of course Kagome had to reply. ‘But he did promise and you know Miroku. It could be that the only information is in Naraku’s camp.’

‘Aww come on. You don’t think he’d actually do something THAT dumb do ya?’

Kagome just looked at Sango.

Piddip piddip piddip drip splash

Kagome’s words were the smallest doubt placed in her head. It didn’t help that this morning Inu-Yasha finally sent out a search party for him. Miroku would have returned. Miroku would have gotten in touch. Miroku would have sent a message.

Yet there was nothing. Not a word. Not a sign. And it wouldn’t stop raining.

Sango’s mind kept filling with images, against her will, of Miroku’s body lying mangled somewhere, holding a last message to her. No he was stronger than that. That wouldn’t happen.

Then again she’d only known him for a month. She’d never seen him fight, not once. It was probably easy for even one of Naraku’s cronies to twist him in half and throw him into a hole in the ground never to be seen or-

She needed to get out of this hut and out of this place and get something to do. She was really far too bored and everyone seemed to go out of his or her way to keep her from having anything to occupy her attention.

She’d tried to clean Kagome’s tent, not that she was very good at household work, but it was something. Inu-Yasha had kicked her out. She’d offered to teach the kids again and Kagome (with a hint of reluctance) said she was their mother and she missed them. She’d offered fighting lessons, help hunting, fishing, gathering herbs and food. She’d been shot down left and right every time.

Dripdrip piddip-piddip splash PIDDIP drip piddip

The sun had either set or started to. The rain had a cold chill that gave the village a certain lethargic feel. It made odd harmony with the knowledge there was nothing more to be done.

CRAAAAASH

“We found him!! Inu-Yasha get Kagome quick!!!!”

Sango didn’t even hesitate to throw the door open. Men rushed in carrying Miroku on their backs. Kagome right behind with her medicines. Inu-Yasha had started to follow. “Please. Watch the kids, Okay?” Inu-Yasha just nodded. He was gone back out the door in a jump.

Miroku was pale; his skin looked clammy. Kagome pressed her hand to his forehead. “He’s burning up. Miroku! What happened?” Sango just stood there. What should she do? She backed further up until she was against the thin wall of the tent. She was cursed. That was it. Everything she touched it seemed. Everything that got near her. Anything she’d started to care about... It was always dust and ash in the end.

“San... go...” He looked right at her. He was conscious again.

“Miroku what was it! Was it the insects? How many?” Kagome tried to get his attention; get him to focus on a treatment.

“Sango... I.. I have to... T-tell... you.”

No. Not for her. She wasn’t worth misery or getting hurt over. She wasn’t a reason to die for. He should tell Kagome how to treat. Not her. Not her. And yet- “Is he.. Kohaku is...”

“No.” He licked his lips. “He… lives.” With that he turned to Kagome, his voice raspy and fading with each word. “Message. Pocket. Bees… Fif… teen.” His eyes closed, face falling to the side.

Sango practically jumped on Kagome. “What did he mean by that. Miroku wake up!” She looked at how still he was and backed up again. “Is he...?”

“No. Not yet. I think he left a message for you though.” She was already mixing herbs; her hands only shaking slightly. She was afraid. Sango could see it. She realized what had the immensely talented healer so afraid that even her sure and steady hands would shake.

Kagome might not even be able to help him.

Sango couldn’t stay there another minute. She couldn’t watch him lie next to death knowing that he wouldn’t be there now if he’d never met her. If he’d never made her that promise.

It wasn’t until she felt the rain on her face she realized she was outside.

“I never asked him to go. He didn’t have to. He shouldn’t have. He’s such a-“

“Fool?” Inu-Yasha startled her. “Ya woke up Sora screaming in the rain like that.”

Sango regarded Inu-Yasha as having some sort of grudge against her. He must have because every time she saw him he looked ready to pick a fight with her and this time was no different.

She turned away from him and took a step. “Tell your daughter I’m sorry and please go back to sleep. It won’t happen again.”

“Hey. Sango. Miroku does what he wants because he feels it’s the right thing to do.” The hanyou crossed his arms. “The idiot is to damned moral for his own fucking good. So just let it go already, okay? Just hope he gets better.” Inu-Yasha marched back off to his tent.

Sango started to shiver. She needed to get out of the rain. “Ya comin in er not?” He humphed. “I ain’t puttin up with ya if ya catch cold.” She hesitated one moment before running inside.

-------------------------------

When she stepped in the hut, Inu-Yasha immediately thrust a piece of paper into her hand. “Miroku had it. It’s fer you.”

Sango nodded. She’d never really learned how to read, but she could make out some of it. And after looking the letter over a few times, she could tell what it was saying.

Dear troubled Sango,

First of all, your brother is alive. If your reading this then I couldn’t make my way out of Naraku’s fortress without trouble. I know you probably think me a fool for going there, but the information I sought was there and there alone.

A rumor has spread that you have died, killed in an explosion caused by rioters. Naraku seems to believe for the most part that you are dead. Some suppliers of information have told me that the boy kept in the deepest dungeon by the name of Kohaku has been moved. No one is sure where, though there are many theories. I’m going to give you this message and start checking some of the believed places.

I’m not done looking yet... No matter what.

Miroku’

Sango held the note close in her fist. It wasn’t fair. Her brother may very well be safe while the man that had shown her more kindness then anyone in her life lay dying. And for what? To tell her she worried in vain? That she was a selfish little brat that didn’t deserve the nurturing he lavished on her? She just knew there was no way to repay him for this.

-------------------------------

“Sango wake up.” The older girl opened her eyes to find Kagome’s face in front of hers. She backed up just a little startled. Had she dozed off?

She rubbed her eyes. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to fall asleep.” She tried to look outside and see the time.

“Feh. I’d hardly call it sleeping. Ya came in and sat in the corner where ya shivered until you passed out for an hour.” Inu-Yasha laid flat on a mat between his children, arms crossed above his head.

“Be nice Inu-Yasha. I suppose this blanket threw its self on Sango?” Kagome’s eyebrow arched as she smirked. The hanyou just scoffed, rolling to his side to face away. “I’m done with Miroku, but he needs to be watched tonight.”

Sango froze. “I.. Um... I don’t... That is I really-“

“So I’m going to stay with him but I want to get some sleep. I was wondering if you minded a roommate for the night. And we can take turns.” Kagome thought Sango’s reluctance was from not knowing anything about ministering to injuries.

If only she knew how worried Sango was that she’d jinx Miroku to his death.

But it didn’t look like there was a way out of this... And she owed him. “Alright.” She gave in.

-------------------------------

Sango immediately started moving things around to make a bed for Kagome. Miroku’s hut wasn’t that big and everything was so cold with the rain in the air. Sango wondered if it would ever stop.

“It’s very easy. I already heated up the water in the bowl. If he starts to stir, take the towel off his head and soak it in the water. Ring it out once and put it back, okay?”

Sango just nodded at Kagome’s instructions. She already knew how to treat a fever. Lots of Naraku’s warriors would get infected wounds. Sometimes they survived; sometimes they didn’t. Sango herself had been bed ridden once.

She’d tried to remember the last time she’d taken care of someone. He was a warrior like her, but she hadn’t really known him. He was supposed to die in the ring. Instead he won but not without many injuries. He had made it back to the holding pen but hadn’t lasted the night.

Sango banished the memory to the back of her mind. Miroku was not that stranger.

“I’m gonna get some sleep. Wake me if he’s getting worse or if you really need to rest, alright?” Kagome had pulled out a blanket and was already fast asleep.

Sango suddenly found herself alone with two sleeping persons, one of which was counting on her to save his life. She took a deep breath and grabbed the towel, doing as Kagome had instructed her.

As she put it back, Miroku’s brow creased. “Ugh.. F... father.”

“Shhhh.” Sango gently dabbed his head with the cloth.

“Mm. Sango.” His eyes cracked open for a moment, and Sango wondered if he was awake. But he looked far to muddled to know where he was, let alone that she was there. It was a fever dream. His eyes slowly shut again, this time into a serene and peaceful sleep.

-------------------------------

It was mid-afternoon when Miroku finally opened his eyes. Frankly, he was surprised to be still alive. He knew he’d been trying to get back to the others when he’d been attacked.

Naraku bred poisonous bee demons under his control since the wind tunnel curse had first been administered to his grandfather. Now at least one always flew with Naraku’s monsters. The ones he sent to attack, anyway. Occasionally they’d even spy for the warlord.

The sky had been filled with minor demons and the bugs. He knew he’d been caught leaving the camp. He had managed to defeat most of the monsters and lose the rest and he was heading back when he couldn’t move anymore and then everything was black.

He must have been closer to the mountain then he realized if the others found him and brought him back.

He looked to his side and saw Sango sleeping, sitting up, a large bowl of water to her side and a towel hanging between her fingers.

His tender nurse.

How easy would it be just to reach around and take another feel? But he couldn’t! She was sleeping so peacefully and she just abhorred his method of showing affection. She had obviously helped save his life, staying up for hours just to make sure he didn’t meet his maker one day sooner. He would be lower then scum if he grabbed her rear now.

So he reached up and gave her breast a good squeeze.

“EEEE!!” SMACK! Sango woke up, realized what was happening to her and smacked Miroku all in record time. She glared down at him. “Just when I think it’s safe to trust you.”

“My hand slipped, I swear.” His throat was dry; he found it hard to speak up. But he gave his most innocent and charming look. Sango watched him critically. She grabbed a small glass of water and helped him sit up enough to drink.

“My thanks, Sango. It would seem I owe you my life.” He smiled, reaching his hand around her waist to better sit up. His hand landed on her derriere as soon as his throat was no longer dry. After all, she was awake now.

And for his endeavor he received a matching fist-print on the other cheek.

Kagome came back just as Miroku finished his groping and Sango started her slap. She dropped everything she’d been carrying and kneeled down next to Miroku.

“You’re awake! Thank god! I thought you’d died!” She hugged her brother-figure tight, nearly strangling him. “If you EVER do that again I’ll kill you.”

“Kagome!” He gasped. “Air?”

She immediately released him. “I’ll make some tea. You be good to Sango. She barely slept last night. Hands off, got it?”

Miroku nodded, watching as Kagome immediately ran back out the door telling anyone she passed that Miroku was alive and well. Miroku smirked.

“Well... I’m glad you’re okay.” She started to get up but Miroku’s hand shot up, beseeching her not to. Not yet.

“Is it true? Did you stay with me all night?”

Sango, who again moved to sit next to Miroku, pulled her hand back and shrugged. “Yes... Well... How could I not after you went to so much trouble? You wouldn’t have been there if not for me and-“

“It wasn’t trouble. I wanted to bring you good news.” He shook his head. “I’m sorry I haven’t yet. Did you get the letter?”

Sango blinked. “Huh? Yes. And I read it. You don’t have to go back out. If my brother isn’t trapped in Naraku’s dungeon then...” She looked down at her hands, wringing her fingers together. “Well... there’s a chance he’s fine. I’ll find him. But you shouldn’t have to-“

“I want to. And you shouldn’t have to look alone.” There was a silence between them for a long moment. “Kagome isn’t my sister. I’d mention that once to you. But we act like it don’t we?”

At her nod, he continued. “We’re from the same village she and I.” Miroku looked up to the roof and smiled to himself. “She was the first girl I asked to marry me.” When Sango’s face grew increasingly enraged, he quickly amended his statement. “Of course at the time I was only six and she was three.”

He turned to look at her. “Kagome and I were neighbors. We grew up together. But our village was destroyed by Naraku. We are all that’s left.”

As he continued he drifted further and further away from the here and now, wrapping himself up inside the memory. “We saw a ghost of a beautiful woman and followed her for days. She led us here where we met Inu-Yasha and with a few mishaps... started to live here.

“We were saved by that ghost, as were many other orphaned children. But this place heals all wounds with time. And as the founders, Kagome and I like to speed that process alone. Her, the physical wounds and I, the spirit.”

He turned to Sango and smiled. “I guess I was rushing things with you.”

Sango stared down at her lap, pausing for a moment. It was time to finally say something. It had been long enough. “I’m orphaned from my village... as well. By Naraku. I watched my mother die in front of my eyes. My father died protecting all of us. They wanted to kill Kohaku too but I wouldn’t let them. My mother told me to protect him and I-“

“You did everything. I’m sure he’s safe.” That was false hope and he knew it. With Naraku, Kohaku may be gone forever. “Your mother would have wanted you to live.”

“I know. I’m just... so..”

“Alone?” He supplied. She nodded and he reached out to pat her arm comfortingly. A kind and friendly gesture. “I promise. I won’t go anywhere until you don’t feel so forlorn anymore.

Sango nodded.

"Thank you, Miroku." And she leaned down and hugged him. And he, being the occasional gentleman, hugged her back letting her know that she had a reason to continue living. Her freedom.

Converting /tmp/phpZhDKDC to /dev/stdout