InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Miroku & Kagome continued ❯ Lament of the two-tail ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Miroku and Sango, atop Kirara, looked above them to see a bright pink bubble descending. “Hello, Shippo. You bring good news, I wager?” Miroku asked The bubble popped and the young kitsune landed on Kirara. “Yep. Kagome tricked Kouga into giving us his shards. Now it's all up to you guys.” Miroku looked to Sango who was staring at the ground as they walked. “Sango? Is something the matter?” Sango looked up and smiled. “No. I was just wondering how we would go about removing Kohaku's shard. Kagome uses her miko powers to extract them, but she isn't here.” “I suppose we'll just have to do it the old-fashioned way.” Sango gasped. “You don't mean…” Miroku took Sango's hands. “Sango. You must understand, that shard is the only thing keeping Kohaku alive. Even if Kagome just used her powers to painlessly extract it, he would still perish. He died Sango, just like Kikyo did. And, like her, he was brought back to a world in which he no longer should be a part of. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?” Sango nodded, tears falling down her face. “Yes. I know what we have to do, Miroku. I just wish there were some other way.” With that, the two set off to find Kohaku.
 
It was moments later that Kirara spotted the once departed slayer. They landed immediately and Sango ran over and hugged her little brother. “Kohaku! We found you.” Kohaku turned to face his sister. “S...Sango? Is that you?” “Yes, Kohaku. It's me. You're finally free of Naraku's spell.” She looked to see that Kohaku was crying. “What's wrong, Kohaku?” “Oh, Sango! I killed them, didn't I? I killed Father and I tried to kill you!” “Kohaku, it wasn't your fault! Naraku put you under his spell. It was him that killed everyone. He was just using you because he was too much of a coward to fight his own battles. But he's gone now and you're free from his grasp.” Kohaku smiled, then, his face fell yet again. “But, Sister, you need my shard, don't you? The one that keeps me alive. Without my shard, you'll never complete the jewel.” Sango sighed as the tears welled up once more. “Yes, Kohaku. In fact, that's why we came looking for you. I'm so sorry, Kohaku. If Naraku had never used you in the first place, none of this would have to occur. We would just be one happy family, liked we'd always been. But Naraku had a knack for destroying everything in his path.” Kohaku looked up at his sister. “Do it quickly, sis.” “What? Kohaku, I…” “No. Don't argue, Sango. You need this shard to complete the jewel and restore balance to the world. I won't let the world turn to chaos just so I can keep running from demons all my life. So just do it, Sango. Before we both lose our nerve.” Sango nodded slightly and pulled out a small dagger. Quickly, she plunged the dagger into Kohaku's shoulder and, mixed in with the blood, she saw a hint of pink. She began tugging on it slowly, but that only seemed to cause more pain for her brother. In one movement, she pulled out the shard. Kohaku gasped and his eyes began to close. “Sango,” he managed to say, “ I love you…sister.” With that, his eyes closed and he took his final breath. He died there, in Sango's arms. Sango began to sob loudly, clutching the shard in her fist. Kirara, in her smaller form, came and sat next to her loving owner, mewling in lament.