InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Much Needed Healing ❯ Changes ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

To the reviewers, thanks you for the awesome words of encouragement. Without all of you, none of this would be possible.
 
To MoMo and EP, you are my writing soul mates. Thanks for everything that you do.
 
 
 
The faint noise of the tail end of the party could be heard through
the paneled glass doors and the light from inside the decadent ballroom made a feeble attempt to penetrate through them as well. It failed miserably, and the cool evening air remained dim, lit only by soft candles placed around the potted plants on the balcony. The flames flickered momentarily as a chilly breeze swept through the night, and Kagome felt the small hairs on the back of her neck lift softly in the small gust. Placing her forearms on the edge of the balcony, she bent over it, peering down through the dark night to look at the small figures who walked the streets below.
 
The sound of revelry grew louder for a moment as one of the doors opened- women's laughter and men's serious chatter sliced through the quite solitude she had found for herself- before all was once again muted and still, interrupted by only the occasional chill breeze.
 
Kagome didn't know who had come out to join her in her escape, but she knew that they were not human. She could feel the soft press of demonic energy against her skin and she heard no footfalls against the cool marble floor. She didn't bother to look at them, as she had no enemies here. In fact, she only knew two people at this party. So she continued to stare at the little humans walking the city streets of Tokyo below.
 
“They're so tiny from up here. And they don't even realize that all these stories up, Japan's business elite are celebrating the return of a half-demon to the country.”
 
She heard a sigh and a warm and heavy coat was placed around her shoulders. “You're going to catch your death out here.”
 
Looking over out of the corner of her eye, she saw that Kouga had adopted the same position as she; arms placed on the edge of the balcony, looking at the street below.
 
“I should be down there with them.”
 
Cool blue eyes slid over to meet hers. “You never belonged with them. You wanted to be with them, to help them, and that was admirable, but you were never, and will never be one of them Kagome.” He pushed himself off from the wall with both arms and stood, offering her a hand, which she gracefully accepted.
 
“I don't belong here. I'm not a demon or a businessman. I'm a human.”
 
“You're a miko Kagome; probably the very last one. And you're incredibly powerful. While you may have been born of humans, raised by them, you are not one of them. You never will be. You with your heart so full of love and forgiveness, so open to everything and everyone, you could never be of humanity.” He looked at her seriously, the blue of his eyes icy in the candle light. “Do you want me to tell you a secret?”
 
Looking at him thoughtfully, Kagome knew that what he would tell her would not be pleasant. “Will it hurt?”
 
“Yes.”
 
She considered him for only a moment before sucking in a breath and holding it. When she released it she said only one word, “yes.”
 
“You are the only one of your kind. You are special, and that draws other special creatures, like demons, to you. We can see you, smell you, for what you are; powerful and kind and open. But above all else, you are alone.”
 
It was true. She had known it was true for a very long time now, possibly her entire life. But to hear the words spoken aloud was a complete shock to her system. Her vision started to fade, and the muted voices from the party inside stated to swell. Every muscle in her body seemed to give up, and she felt herself begin to slip slowly towards the ground.
 
Kouga saw her lashes flutter and slipped one strong arm around her before she could hit the hard marble floor. Looking down into her calm face, he saw the underlying beauty.
 
 
Kouga bent his head to place a kiss on her brow. “I never loved another,” he told her softly. “I am sorry that one such as you has to be a solitary creature.”
 
As if in response, Kagome's skin began to glow a soft pink, and Kouga felt his hands begin to burn. Holding back a scream of pain and placing her head gently on the cool marble ground, he stood and stared. Her entire body was engulfed in a shimmering light which began to grow brighter and brighter until he was forced to cover his eyes with his arm.
 
And as suddenly as it had begun, it was over. She was just Kagome, the miko he had known and loved for over 500 years, passed out on the floor of a balcony outside of the final moments of a fantastic party that all of Japan would be talking about tomorrow.
 
Moving closer to her, Kouga saw her open her eyes, and for a moment he could have sworn that they were the most lovely shade of silver he had ever seen. But she blinked, and they were blue, and the moment passed, leaving only concern for his friend. Sinking to his knees at her side, he reached out for her, if only to stroke her hair, to assure himself that she was indeed whole and alive.
 
But she startled him when her lithe little hand shot out and grasped his in midair.
 
“I am alone aren't I?” she whispered sadly to him.
 
Not knowing what to say to comfort her, he did the best he could. “You have your friends. You have me. You have Inuyasha.”
 
“No mention of Sesshomaru?” She paused and a deep sadness crossed her face. “So he's left me then.”
 
“He had business that forced him to leave tonight…”
 
“Help me up.” She interrupted, extending her other hand to him.
 
He did so, glad that he did not have to keep up the pretense of where Sesshomaru had gone and why. She stood and brushed off the blue silk gown before handing him his coat and heading for the glass doors.
 
“It looks like everything is winding down in there. I should get back. Inuyasha will be wondering where I've gotten to and I don't want him to think that you've kidnapped me again.” She shot a little smile over her shoulder.
 
As she pulled open the door, another breeze came whipping through the night, this one more biting than the last. It caught what were now Kagome's slightly tousled deep ebony locks and her scent went whipping through the night to Kouga.
 
He breathed deeply, not trusting what his senses told him to be true.
 
The miko's scent, so familiar for 500 years, had changed.