InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My First Love And How I Want To Hate Him ❯ That Was Work ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's Note: I do not own Inuyasha by Rumiko Takahashi or Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi by Shungiko Nakamura. This is a fan based fiction piece written in my spare time. I am not getting paid to write this. Also please note that any cultural references on Japan are based on internet research and some influence by my current country of South Korea. Also note that I have no idea how a publishing company is run, I'm basing this off of my previous work experience in advertising. Creative liberties and whatnot. Please review and let me know if I should continue writing or let it collect Internet dust.

CHAPTER 1: THAT WAS WORK

KAGOME

Ten years ago…

I had spent most of my afternoons in the library at my high school. My friends and family just thought I was diligent about studying and getting into a good university but I had an ulterior motive. It was where he would frequent…

“Oh, I'm sorry Takahashi-senpai.” We had reached for the same book and for a brief moment our fingers touched. He often reread his favorites and when the book was returned, I would check it out. He turned to look at me and I couldn't look him in the eye but felt my face get hot.

“How do you know my name?” his voice was hard but monotone. I couldn't read his emotion behind the question. He must think I'm such a loser. God, Kagome just walk away.

But I can't walk away. I panicked. I had been looking at him from afar for four years. I would never have the courage to speak to him, to ever let him know how I feel. But since he was right in front of me, I couldn't control my emotions. They were building up and spilling over. I tried to hold it it but--

Senpai.

I love you.

I love you.

I love you.

I love you.

“I love you…”

He was quiet. A silence fell across the room. I couldn't hear anything over the sound of my beating heart and it banged against my chest. The air had left my lungs as I dared to look at him through my bangs.

“Ah...what I meant was...uh…” words, words, oh God I couldn't find words to take what I said back.

Now…

My resume sat atop of the pile of papers the secretary had in her hands. I had fixed my resume seven times before submitting it and knit-picked everything on it. Higurashi Kagome. Age 25. ID photo taken last week at a photobooth in the subway station. I hated how it turned out but was not about to spend another 1000 yen for a new one. Previous experience: Junior Editor of Literature; Higurashi Publishing. My grandfather's company that I worked at straight out of university. After being there for three years, I realized I will never get respect for my work as I am only seen as The President's granddaughter. No, this time I will prove my worth and show that I can be top editor in Japanese publishing.

But unfortunately, someone threw a wrench into my plans.

“There has to be some mistake.”

“There's no mistake Miss Higurashi, my superiors gave me your file.” The secretary kept flipping through the stack of papers to keep herself from looking at me. That made me even more irate.

“But I applied for the editor position of the literature department. I was a junior editor at my last company.” I started making motions with my hands. I always do that when I'm upset.

“I understand that but my superiors have placed you in the Shoujo Manga department.” She found the memo with it written on it. It looked like a printed off email. “This is where you will be working.”

“But I specifically applied and interviewed for the literature department. I don't know anything about editing manga!”

“I understand Miss but my superiors are in charge of placement not me. I've only been ordered to show you your new office.”

“Please, can you check one more time? Something must have been changed or someone made a mistake--”

“Miss, please. I understand your frustration but it is not my job on deciding placement. Now I can show you your office and then you can decide from there. If you decide not to sign your employment contract then you will have to do it through the proper channels in Human Resources.”

At that point I knew I had to just keep my mouth shut. I'm so mad I'm literally shaking. Okay deep breath. I need to keep my composure and look professional. I did this for a reason. Maybe this can be temporary until a position opens up in the Literature department. They're more likely to transfer within the company than to hire someone from the outside. I don't even read manga...

We took the elevator to the sixth floor as the secretary tried to change the mood of the conversation.

“I know the office isn't much to look at right now. You're all a bit squeezed together in one section or another but our manga section is well known due to the current Editor-in-chief. He's done some amazing work and has turned this company's reputation around. They've even received an award from the company's President!”

“Oh?” I had to fake my enthusiasm but even she could tell I wasn't going to be happy no matter how much information she spewed. We got out of the elevator and I noticed certain cubicles were color-coded.

"You'll be in the emerald section. It's a popular part of the floor because of the lighting but they prefer to keep the shades closed during month end. It's also a bonus that all of your coworkers are handsome men!"

"Wait all the editors are men? I'll be the only female."

"Well the last female editor got promoted three years ago and now she's head of sales. But don't worry, your coworkers are nothing but professional."

I already want to quit. But that's not an option. I have to prove myself. Plus on the big exit from my grandfather's company, I also moved out of the family home. I have too many bills to be picky right now. I'll just stay for a month before I decide anything.

We make our way towards the emerald section and I shift my eyes to the floor to prepare for my introduction.

"Everyone. This is your new team member." I begin my bow as the secretary motions towards me.

"Nice to meet you, my name is Higurashi..." I look up and to my horror none of the staff seems to be alive! The room is dark with people passed out either on their computer screens or in their seats with their mouths open. I could even see one laying a pile of manga on the floor. No one looks like they have slept or left the office in weeks. I turned to my side to see the secretary is no longer there. I quickly turn around to see her bolting towards the elevator.

"Hey!" I scream at her.

"I'm sorry, they must be in the middle of a deadline. Good luck!"

That bitch. How could she just leave me in this hellhole? My eye started to twitch from anger and it took all my strength to regain my composure. If I wasn't so determined to become my own person I would have just ran back home. No, I'm braver than that. I can do this.

I tip toed my way in towards the first person I see. Oh god, he's drooling over his keyboard. That's not sanitary. I gently place my hand on his shoulder and shake him awake.

"Excuse me."

The man jolts awake and starts flailing his arms around then turns to me.

"Ah. Oh god sorry. Can I help you?" He said in a groggy voice. It was only then I noticed the half eaten instant ramen cups surrounding him like a sarcophagus of putrid smelling sodium.

"I'm the new junior editor. Today's my first day."

"That was today?" He asked rubbing the sleep from his eyes. It didn't make him more awake and seemed like a futile gesture. "Tanaka-san." He said across the room. It was so dark I could only see shadows in the graveyard of despair. There was no answered so he started to yell.

"Tanaka-san! The new editor is here! Are you awake?!" Still no answer. "BOSS!"

"God damn it, I can hear you now shut up!" A light turned on in the back of the room. It was a man sitting in a chair with his head leaned back with a manga over his eyes. I walked over to him as he removed the manga and replaced it with black-framed glasses. His desk was cleaner in comparison to the rest of the staff but his clutter was of papers and stacks of manga.

"So who are you? A part timer?" He asked rubbing the back of his neck and yawning.

"I'm the new full time junior editor." I put emphasis on the "full time". What a jerk.

"Your name?"

"Higurashi Kagome."

"Oh that's right, I heard someone like you was coming." What the hell is that supposed to mean? "Welcome. I wasn't at the interview but they told me you have editing experience?"

"Yes I was an editor for three years at Higurashi publishing."

"What did you work on? Shounen? Seinen?" He asked as he started to tidy up his desk.

"No I was in the literature department."

"What? Literature?" He looked at me tilting down his chin so he could see me over the rim of his frames.

"Yes."

"So you're new to manga?" He said in a monotone voice.

"Well...yes." I gave a nervous smile. I didn't know how to read him. Maybe it was because he was tired that he acting unreasonably cranky.

"How useless." He said nonchalantly.

You're lucky I can't murder you. I stared at him trying not to let my face show how upset I am.

“Tanaka-san, Akiyama-san is here with the manuscript. She's waiting downstairs.” said one of the workers also rising from their dead slumber.

“Got it.” Tanaka said as he stood up and grabbed a sketchbook and pen. “Come on newbie. Show me that you can do your job.”

This guy is hellbent on making it onto my shit list isn't he? I quickly followed him down the hallway into the elevator as he pressed the button for the second floor.

“Is this the original manuscript or the replacement?” I asked.

“Replacement script for this month.”

“When is it supposed to go on sale?”

“Seven days...no six days.”

“Six days?! When did they start drawing the replacement manuscript?”

“About three days ago.”

Seriously? How did they expect to meet their deadline? I stopped asking questions and followed Tanaka out of the elevator and into a conference room. We were met with a young woman who I assumed was the author. I took a notepad out of my bag and started to take notes.

“Hello Akiyama. Thank you for your work.” Tanaka sat across from her and started to go over the manuscript she handed him. She looked as tired as he did. “You've done some fast work. I'm sorry I doubted you.”

“Oh no, I understand. I wanted to do the impossible. I hope I delivered.” She held her bag in her lap and hugged it to her chest. Tanaka thumbed through the pages for a few minutes before responding.

“There's something about this kissing scene.” He turned the page over and laid it out on the table in front of her. She quickly grabbed some sketch paper out of her bag and some drawing utensils. “Could you make it a little bit more dramatic?”

She quickly started to sketch it out. What? A redraw while the printer is waiting? Is this appropriate?

“Like this?” She asked.

“Try like you're watching it from this angle.” He said motioning the direction with his finger. He becomes annoyed with her redraw. “No, not like that. Think of it from this perspective. Have you ever kissed someone?” Oh my God, that's borderline sexual harassment!

“Um…” She stammered. Poor girl, why can't he take it easy?

“Isn't it fine this way? You have to think about the time crunch. This is asking too much.” I said as I peered over his shoulder. The artwork seems fine to me.

“It can always be better.” He motioned to me using his thumb. “Amateurs should stay silent.” AMATEUR!??!?!?!? I kept my mouth shut but my teeth were starting to grind with anger.

“It's just that...well you can't see how you're kissing someone if you're the one doing the kissing…” The artist continued. Her forehead had beads of sweat forming. Tanaka took a moment then stood up from his seat.

“You've got a point,” he said. “Fine, I'll give you an example and but draw it quickly.” Thinking he is going to have to run back to the sixth floor, I jump in.

“Where are the samples? I can grab them myself and bring them down.” Tanaka ignored me and kept eye contact with the artist.

“Draw it from an angle where you can see them being grabbed by the chin. Also adding a wind whirling about effect will change the emotion of the panel.”

“Sir. I can grab those samples, just tell me where they are.” I said hiding my annoyance. Why is he ignoring me?

“Quickly because I'll only do this once.” Tanaka said as he grabbed my arm and made my body face towards him. What is going on? Quickly and calmly, he grabbed my chin with one hand placing his other hand at the small of my back and leaned into kiss me. I was taken aback. My brain couldn't process fast enough and for five seconds we held that kiss until I jumped back.

“GYAAAAAAA!” I screamed as I turned my back towards him and the artist. I rubbed the back of my hand against my lips to remove the feeling of him touching me.

“Did you get it?” He asked the artist. She quickly nodded. “Good then hurry up and finish it in ink. Send it up when you're done.” He grabbed his sketchbook and my arm and dragged me towards the elevator. I sternly pulled my arm out of his grasp as we got in.

“What the fuck was that?!” I yelled at him.

“What do you mean?” He said as he cleaned his glasses with his shirt. “What just happened?” I nodded. “That was work.”

I already hate my boss.

Author's Note: End of chapter one. Don't forget to review and let me know if you have any critiques.