InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Obsession ❯ My Obsession ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
DISCLAIMER: I do not own Naraku, Sango, or any part of “Inuyasha”.
 
 
 
 
 
Effortlessly, he darted through the trees. Sango was right behind him.
He was her life now, for he was the one who had stolen her former existence.
One day, Naraku would pay for the things he had done. Today.
She could hear him chuckling at the futile swings of her hiraikotsu. Every time she struck, he parried.
The interlacing branches above them were like the bars of a cage. The sunset in the west smeared the bare boughs red. Blood-red. Shiny, slippery, sickening blood on the bark. Was it hers? His?
“Faster, taijiya!” he called out. “Surely you plan to catch me before dark?”
That mocking voice cut her to the bone. He was testing her. Always. In his mind, he was teaching her a lesson. Soon enough, she would teach him with her own.
“Hiraikotsu!” she yelled, letting the huge boomerang fly. It missed her target with yards to spare. Her breath came in harsh pants. She'd missed.
“You'll have to be better than that, taijiya.” His voice echoed through the woods around her. At the moment, his voice was the loudest sound on earth. The only sound on earth.
Naraku glided from tree to tree whilst Sango ran below. As long as she kept him in her sight, it would be fine. He had to land. Somewhere. Sometime.
With fury behind her arm, she again tried to strike the rapidly moving demon. Again she missed.
“You're not even trying, Sango. Accuracy, taijiya. Accuracy.
Sango. Did that evil thing just call her by name?
By momentarily puzzling over this insignificant detail, she'd almost lost his fleeing form. Now, she was below him once more. Directly below him. Why couldn't she just kill him?
It was all or nothing now. Closing her eyes, she aimed up at the monster that was above her. She heard the distinct sound of branches breaking and twigs snapping. Achingly slow seconds passed. Then, at last, she chanced to open her eyes.
Her hiraikostu lay by her feet. He had dodged her attack yet again.
No, not dodged. I never even—
Darkly, he chuckled. She automatically swung her gaze over to the malevolent being in the furred pelt. There he was. Smirking at her apparent confusion.
“I'm here, taijiya. Slay me. Slay me now.”
How easy he made it sound. Could it end? Could it end right here?
Trembling, Sango knelt down and picked up her bone boomerang in shaky hands. She'd waited months for this moment. This exact moment.
Lightly, she ran her trembling fingers over the carved weapon. This could be the end.
And, in that end, she remained frozen.
Triumphantly, Naraku rose up in a cloud of miasma. He had grown tired of this game.
“You could not kill me, demon slayer. You had the opportunity, but you did not.”
In a wave of anguish, Sango ran after his rapidly retreating shape. However, there was to be no help for it now. She'd missed her chance.
“You could not kill me, demon slayer. You had the opportunity, but you did not.”
No, I couldn't. I couldn't because I need you to feel alive.
Over her shoulder, the blood-red sun had sunk into the hills.
She would chase him until the stars appeared.
My obsession.
His amusement.