InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Succubus Wife ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any characters associated with it. This story is rated for a mature audience.
 
Citrus Warning (For entire story)
 
*******************
 
The entire day was ruined for Inuyasha. With Sango in tears and Kagome doing her best to help her through things, it was his job to entertain Yumi and keep her away from the two women so she didn't bother them. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy spending time with her, but today was supposed to be a family day - for a family that included Kagome. It was to be one of the rare times that they could all go out together.
 
Yumi lost interest in TV quicker than Inuyasha had wished. He wanted to stay around a little longer and listen in on the women in the kitchen, but it became obvious that Yumi wouldn't let him. So he took her out for lunch, ice cream and shopping to hopefully burn off some of the tremendous amount of energy she had. Before stopping at a Ramen shop for dinner, he spent time burning daylight at the playground. Luckily, none of the moms bothered him as he sat on the bench watching Yumi dash from one structure to the next. It was almost nine when he returned home, carrying a daughter that was fast asleep on his back. As he expected, Sango was still there.
 
Well, there goes tonight's plan… He immediately gave himself a mental kick for thinking so selfishly. Sango was going through an extremely rough time and he was thinking only about how it affected his sex life. Both turned their attention to him as he passed the kitchen.
 
“Evening,” he said, nodding towards them.
 
Kagome gave him a weary smile. “I see you managed to knock her out again.”
 
Inuyasha knew by the look in her eye that there was a second meaning behind her words. It was as if she was looking at a wasted opportunity. She's just as disappointed as I am.
 
“I'm sorry,” Sango said miserably. “I know it was your day off and you were planning—” She quickly trailed off as Kagome spun around to give her the `you're-not-supposed-to-tell' glare. “To enjoy your day off,” she finished lamely, obviously not what she originally intended.
 
“It's fine. Stay here as long as you need to,” Inuyasha said with a smile. To Kagome, he continued. “I'm going to put this one to bed.”
 
Standing, Kagome moved over to gently kiss Yumi's forehead before running a hand through the young girl's hair. She stirred slightly, but remained asleep. “Thanks,” she whispered softly before returning to the table.
 
Leaving the woman to talk, he made his way to Yumi's room, trying his best to gently remove her from his back and lower her into bed. Her eyes opened slowly, giving him a groggy look as she grumbled incoherently before groaning in annoyance at having been awakened.
 
“Shh,” he whispered softly, smiling as he pressed his lips against her forehead. “Go back to sleep.”
 
“Where's Mommy?” she cooed softly as he rolled the covers over her body.
 
“Mommy is busy talking.”
 
“I want-ed to play with Mo-mm-y t-o-o,” she said, each word dragging on longer than the one before as her eyes drifted closed.
 
“Tomorrow. We'll all play together tomorrow.”
 
“Nn,” she whispered before falling back asleep.
 
Carefully backing out of the room, he gently closed the door. Taking a few steps away from the door, he let out a tired sigh. She was tired enough that he didn't have to sneak out of the room, but it was an old habit. Straightening, he headed back towards the kitchen. Both Kagome and Sango were waiting for him, their eyes on him as soon as he entered the room.
 
“Miroku called earlier, didn't he?” Kagome said before he could say anything.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“You talked for quite awhile.”
 
Is she accusing me of something? If she wasn't, it sure sounded like she was. Immediately, warning bells began to go off in his head. He really didn't like how they were looking at him. They had the serious expressions of a jury who were just about to give a guilty man his sentence. “I guess so.”
 
“And?”
 
“And what?” he said, instantly on defense. Know that Yumi was out of the room, Kagome was releasing her anger.
 
“What did he say?” Kagome pressed impatiently.
 
Inuyasha glanced nervously from Sango back to Kagome. “Uh—that he fucked up?”
 
“Well that's obvious!” snapped Kagome.
 
“Kagome…” Sango whispered softly as she rested a hand on her friends arm.
 
“No! I can't believe he did that to you!”
 
“It's fine. I feel a lot better now. It's my fault after all—”
 
“No it's not! Stop saying that! It's his fault.” She set her hand atop Sango's as she looked up at Inuyasha. “Isn't that right?”
 
Caught off guard, he floundered helplessly for words. “Uh—”
 
“I can't believe you're taking his side on this!” she exploded when he didn't answer fast enough.
 
“What!? I didn't even say anything!”
 
“Uh, Kagome—” Sango said helplessly as Kagome rose from her seat, eyes locked with Inuyasha's.
 
“Yeah, because you think this whole thing is Sango's fault! You're always taking his side!”
 
“I didn't say anything about him not being wrong! I just think that maybe he isn't entirely to blame for this!” He tried his best to keep calm, but it was hard to keep things together when someone was yelling at you.
 
“I can't believe you!” Kagome shouted. “He cheated on Sango! There is no justification for that!”
 
“Um—Yumi—” Sango whimpered, her voice lost in the ensuing argument between Kagome and Inuyasha.
 
“He was—is—confused. I'll admit he was an idiot and did a poor job of handling the situation, but you can't honestly say this was all because of him!” His plan to stay as far in the middle as possible was completely lost now. What struck him as unfair was that he never got to pick his side. His side had been nailed onto his chest with a sledgehammer.
 
“It's just like you to take his side!”
 
“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”
 
“Given the chance, I bet you would—”
 
“Hey!” Sango yelled, silencing both of them. When both gave her surprised looks, she shrank in her seat. “Sorry, but you both were a little… Maybe I should just go home.” She stood.
 
“No, I said you could stay here. At least for tonight, okay? You can sleep in our room.” Glancing at Inuyasha, she flashed the look that dared him to say otherwise.
 
Sango looked from Kagome to Inuyasha, obviously torn. “Uh, the couch would be fine.”
 
“No. That's where Inuyasha will be sleeping.”
 
“Kagome—” Inuyasha began. He never had the chance to finish.
 
“You. Couch. Now.”
 
One minute he was standing at the edge of the kitchen, the next, he found himself sitting on the couch staring blankly ahead. Blinking, he looked around in confusion, trying to figure out what had just happened and why he was sitting on the couch. Several seconds later, his brain connected the dots. She used magic on me! Rage boiled inside him as he stood up, nails digging into his palm as he clenched his fists. Just like that, she had broken one of the promises they had made on their wedding day: that she would never use magic on him unless absolutely necessary. Using it on him during an argument was hardly what he considered absolutely necessary. Their promise. Their wedding day. Did those mean as much to her as a little heated argument?
 
But just as he rose to his feet, Kagome was still in the kitchen with a horrified expression. “I-I,” she started, obviously panicked. “Sleep!” It was the last word he heard as darkness swallowed him.
 
*******************
 
“Kagome, d-did you just?”
 
“What did I just do?!” Kagome whimpered, dropping back into her chair, resting her head in her hands and allowing disbelief to wash over her.
 
Sango rushed over to Inuyasha, who had just crumpled onto the floor. Glancing over him, she sighed, relieved that the fall hadn't seem to have injured him. With several grunts, she managed to lift him enough to roll onto the couch. Letting out a tired sigh, she glanced back at Kagome. “I'm sorry, I never meant for any of this to happen.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “No, I lost control.” She had a miserable look on her face as she eyed her sleeping husband. “I can't believe I did that. I haven't used magic on him since we got married.”
 
“You mean before--?”
 
“I might have suggested some things from time to time to make him more comfortable doing things, but nothing this major.” She shook her head, resting her hand on her forehead as she looked down at the table. “How am I going to face him tomorrow?”
 
“I'm sure he'll—”
 
“No! He isn't going to just let it go, not like that. He hates not being in control. I promised I wouldn't either…”
 
Sango gave a weary sigh as she settled back down in her seat. “Why does it seem we are always having problems with men these days?”
 
Kagome smiled bitterly, resting her arms against the table. “I'd rather have men problems then other problems.” She knew she didn't need to elaborate on what those other problems were when Sango began nodding in agreement.
 
“Sometimes I just wish things were like they were in South America. At least then things were simple.”
 
One of Kagome's eyebrows rose as she grinned. “As things were before or after you tried to kill me?”
 
Sango returned Kagome's smirk. “After, and for the record, I wasn't trying to kill you. It just so happened you were there helping that damn monkey demon.” She was silent for a moment. “I never asked you, why did you save me back then? After all, I did come pretty close to killing you.”
 
Kagome shrugged slightly. “That was a long time ago. Does it really matter now?”
 
Sango considered it for awhile before shaking her head. “No, I guess not. I never did thank you though. Thank you for saving my life.”
 
“Don't mention it,” she said, smiling slightly. As the silence continued, her smile faded as her thoughts returned to the present.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Hmm?” She turned her attention away from her sleeping husband and back to Sango.
 
“I've decided…” Kagome tilted her head in confusion. “I need a favor,” Sango said, reaching across the table to rest her hands on Kagome's.
 
“Anything,” she answered immediately.
 
“Can you get me a meeting with Myoga?” Sango asked, looking at Kagome with pleading eyes.
 
“The land god?” Sango gave a quick nod. “I—of course I can, but why?” She didn't mean to put off her friends request, but meeting with the land god was an odd request. Yes he was incredibly wise, but going to Myoga for a problem like hers was a little…
 
Sango shifted nervously in place, looking away. Her hands never left Kagome's. “I… want to break my contract,” she whispered softly.
 
Kagome's eyes widened. Suddenly, everything made sense. “So that's why!” Sango nodded. “Since you never use magic, I thought…”
 
If she is still bound by a contract… There was only one way for a human to use magic, and that was by contracting with a demon, something Sango had done in the past. Demon contracts were rarely fair and incredibly difficult to break. Since Kagome had not seen Sango use magic for such a long period of time, she had always assumed that she had managed to escape it. So that's why she didn't accept Miroku's proposal. While Sango was protected in the contract, Miroku wouldn't have been. Since marriage was a human ritual binding one person to another, the contract would therefore extend to Miroku as well. It was a small loophole in the contract. Since Miroku was technically a different person that wasn't there when the contract was formed, he was not protected by the contract yet still bound by it due to the marriage. This meant the demon was free to posses Miroku as it saw fit.
 
“Why didn't you say anything sooner?” Kagome asked, tightening her grip on Sango's hands.
 
“I—I just wanted to forget my past and move on. It wasn't until Miroku proposed that I realized I was still chained to my past.” Tears began to form once more. “I don't want Miroku to suffer because of my mistakes.”
 
Kagome shifted uneasily, trying to find a way to put things to her friend gently. “You should have talked to Miroku about this.” She debated whether she should continue and decided Sango really needed to hear it. “I think it would have helped this situation a lot.”
 
“Don't you think I know that?!” The first tears ran down her face, causing her to withdraw her hands to wipe them from her face. “But there are things I don't want him to know about my past. I don't want to remember my past. I'm afraid he would think differently about me.”
 
“But—”
 
“Do you tell Inuyasha about your past?”
 
Her friend's accusation cut through her like a knife burying itself in her chest. “…Some,” she responded after a slight pause.
 
“But not everything.”
 
“No, not everything,” she reluctantly admitted. There were things she didn't want to talk about, but if Inuyasha asked, she would tell him. Since he never asked, she never mentioned them.
 
“Then you understand why I didn't say anything.”
 
“I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that.”
 
“It's fine. The sooner I talk to Myoga though…”
 
“I'll track him down tonight.”
 
Sango looked slightly surprised. “I didn't mean you had to go out right away.”
 
“I don't sleep, remember?” she said with a smile.
 
“Right,” Sango replied sheepishly as her cheeks reddened.
 
“Speaking of sleep,” Kagome said as she stood, “you should probably get your rest. It's been a long day and Yumi gets up early. And when Yumi gets up, everyone gets up.” Nodding, Sango stood up as well. “Oh, you can grab a change of clothes in the closet. Inuyasha has some t-shirts in the second drawer. I would offer you mine but…” Her voice trailed off as she glanced down at her friend's chest. “Mine might be a little tight to sleep in.”
 
“Thanks Kagome. For everything.” She glanced towards Inuyasha. “I know I've caused a lot of trouble coming here.”
 
Kagome waved it off. “It's not your fault. Things will work out—for both of us,” she added quickly. Sango nodded. “Now quick,” Kagome said, waving her friend off towards her room. “Go take a shower and get changed. You'll feel a lot better. I'll change the sheets and go find Myoga.”
 
Taking a deep breath, Sango nodded before heading back towards Kagome's room. Pausing, Kagome took a second to glance over her shoulder at Inuyasha. I need to bring a blanket out for him too. One thing was certain; she wasn't looking forward to when he woke up…
 
*******************
 
Finding Myoga turned out to be far simpler than she had expected. It was ten minutes past midnight and she was halfway to the temple where he spent most of his time when she nearly stumbled over him.
 
“Hello Kagome,” he said, smiling up at her. She had met several land gods throughout her life, and Myoga was by far the shortest of them all. Most others spent considerable energy giving themselves a grand and hauntingly beautiful appearance. Myoga, on the other hand, remained a small, almost feeble looking old man.
 
“Myoga!” Kagome said, holding a hand to her heart at the sudden appearance of the old man. She took a second to catch her breath. “I was looking for you.”
 
He smiled. “I know.”
 
“I take it you know why too?”
 
“I believe I do.” Good, so I don't have to explain it. “You are worried about Yumi and the upcoming ritual. You fear that because you haven't told her the entire truth about who she is, she will be unprepared for her life as an adult. There is also the strain this is causing to your relationship with Inuyasha.” Kagome stood there, stunned. Everything he said was true, but unexpected. “Oh, and there is Sango's problem.”
 
“Hearing you say that…”
 
“It all seems a bit overwhelming, doesn't it?” Kagome nodded. “And I fear the worst is yet to come.”
 
“It can get worse?” She had meant it lightly, but his expression told her just how grave the situation was.
 
“Sadly, yes.”
 
She gave him a sad smile. “You're not going to tell me what it is, are you?”
 
He had a sorrowful expression as he shook his head. “I am bound by the rules of my people. It is not yet my time to become involved.”
 
Taking a deep breath of the cool night air, Kagome pushed her hair back before letting it fall against her back. “You know how things are going to turn out, don't you?”
 
“I know only of possible outcomes. The future is always shifting.”
 
“Free will.”
 
“Yes.”
 
Kagome chuckled. “I wish I could see the future right now.”
 
“About Inuyasha?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
Myoga bowed his head, his face scrunched in concentration. Kagome waited patiently as the man thought. “He will be angry.”
 
“Wonderful,” she muttered.
 
“But it will soon pass.”
 
“That's good to hear.” Immediately, she felt a little better about tomorrow.
 
“I'm afraid not. His anger will pass not because of forgiveness, but will be forgotten due to greater emotions: worry and fear.” He held up his hand, stopping her question before it even formed. “I cannot speak any more about this. More and I will begin to have an effect on the future.”
 
“I understand.” There were a thousand questions she wanted to ask, but she quietly pushed them aside. Remembering that she originally came for Sango, she figured that it was a safe topic to switch to. “And Sango?”
 
“I shall meet with her tomorrow.”
 
“Where?”
 
“At the temple where I usually reside. She may come at any time. I will be waiting.”
 
Kagome gave Myoga a hopeful smile. “Any chance you could give me a hint of how the Sango-Miroku thing will turn out? I promise I won't tell anyone.”
 
“Their relationship fails.” She felt her shoulders slump as her heart seemed to fall in her chest. It wasn't what she wanted to hear. “They work out their problems and their relationship is saved but continues in an awkward limbo, never moving forward. They recover their relationship and share a long and happy marriage. They recover their relationship and enjoy a short marriage which breaks up later due to infidelity on both sides. Sango accepts their current relationship and they both live happily together, sharing one another with multiple partners. Sango accepts their current relationship and lives a miserable life with Miroku who she shares with multiple partners. Sango accepts their current relationship and lives a wonderful life with Miroku who she shares with multiple partners.”
 
“Okay, okay, I get it. The future is how we make it,” Kagome said, holding her hands out in front of her, mind spinning with Myoga's possible predictions.
 
Myoga smiled, amused. “There are six thousand seven hundred and thirteen possible outcomes of how Sango and Miroku's relationship will turn out. An endless amount if you count subtle differences between them. Some are more likely than others, but none are impossible.”
 
She shook her head in amazement. “How do you even keep track of this stuff?”
 
“It is the same way you know how to absorb energy from your partner or how to breathe: you just know.”
 
Kagome sighed. “I just hope everything works out well for her. I wish I could help more.”
 
“You will, and at the same time, she will help you.”
 
“With what?” He was silent. “Right, you can't tell me.”
 
“I am sorry.”
 
“Just curious, but why can't you? I mean, seeing the future is an amazing ability. Aren't you tempted to step in and guide people to a certain happy outcome?”
 
“Long ago, we tried. We land gods appeared to a few key humans and gave them warnings and words of guidance. We were sure we could guide humanity in the right direction with their assistance. We were wrong. With free will, we had no control over how they used our words. They took our warnings and used them to their own advantage. Twisting our guidance, they used it for their own personal gain. None were expected outcomes. We were so sure things would go as we saw them. It proved that we were not as infallible as we believed.”
 
“I had no idea.”
 
He smiled bitterly. “Not many people do. Few people who lived during that time survived. The number that has survived to today is even fewer.”
 
Kagome gave a weary sigh, leaning back against the stone wall. “Now I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow.”
 
“Focus on the present and take each day one at a time. Trust yourself and those around you and things will work out.”
 
She raised an eyebrow in interest. “Sounds to me like you just gave me some advice. Won't that have an effect on the future?”
 
He shrugged. “It was vague enough that it only made sixty two possibilities less likely and four more likely. It is small price for making you feel better.”
 
“I don't feel better.”
 
“You will,” he said, getting to his feet. “Now if you will excuse me…” He began to hobble off down the road. “Do not forget to tell Sango about our meeting tomorrow. I look forward to it.”
 
Kagome watched him until he turned a corner, disappearing from sight. “Right…” Taking a deep breath, she dug her hands in her pockets and headed home.
 
*******************
 
Inuyasha was every bit as furious as she expected he would be, but instead of the argument she had been sure would follow, he was silent. In fact, he didn't talk to her at all. Ignoring even her most profuse apologies, he immediately shut himself in their bedroom. Luckily, Sango had awoke before him and managed to change her clothes and leave the room before he stormed into their room and locked the door behind him.
 
“Are you two going to be okay?” Sango asked, giving a concerned look over her shoulder towards the closed door as she tugged at her tight top. As Kagome suspected, her shirts were a couple sizes too small for Sango. Either of them could have corrected it with magic, but Sango refused to use it and the stress and worry had taken its toll on Kagome's energy store. Not to mention the fact that she hadn't used magic as powerful as a charm spell in quite awhile. It exhausted her more than she remembered.
 
Kagome thought back to Myoga's words the night before. “Eventually, yeah.” She smiled, resting her hands on Sango's shoulders. “You don't have to leave so soon. I can fix something to eat first.”
 
Sango politely shook her head. “No thanks. You've done enough for me already. Besides…” She glanced over towards Yumi who hummed happily as she watched TV. “You have enough to worry about.”
 
“Well if you need a place to stay, you're always welcome here.”
 
“I know. Thanks for everything.” Wrapping each other in a tight hug, they remained connected for several long seconds before slowly untwining. Taking a deep breath, Sango moved towards the door with Kagome in tow. “Good luck,” she said, opening the door.
 
“Thanks,” Kagome said, watching as Sango stepped out the door. Closing the door tightly, Kagome moved back into the apartment.
 
“Mommy, why is Daddy mad?”
 
Smiling, Kagome moved over to sit next to her daughter. Wrapping her arm around her, she pulled her tight. “Daddy is mad because Mommy told him what to do.”
 
Yumi clicked her tongue several times as she quickly tossed her head side to side. “Daddy doesn't like that. He likes telling other people what to do.”
 
Giving the child an amused smile, Kagome tightened her grip on her. “That's right.”
 
Yumi frowned, looking down. She played with the bottom of her shirt as she spoke. “Is Daddy going to leave like Uncle Miroku?”
 
Blinking in surprise, Kagome looked down at the anxious girl. “What? No! Of course not!”
 
“But both Aunt Sango and Uncle Miroku are fighting and he left.”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes in suspicion. “You were listening to us, weren't you?”
 
Yumi nodded slowly. “I know Daddy didn't want me to hear, so I tried to watch TV…” She looked up at her mother, eyes wide with fright. “Am I in trouble?”
 
Squeezing her, Kagome tapped her nose gently. “No, of course not. Just don't tell Daddy you were listening. And Mommy and Daddy are fighting because of different things than Sango and Miroku. So don't worry, okay?” She gave her daughter a wide smile. Several seconds later, Yumi smiled as well.
 
“Okay!”
 
“Good, now how about some breakfast?”
 
“I want pancakes!” the young girl squealed.
 
Kagome wondered if she had the required ingredients for pancakes. Getting up off the couch, she headed towards the kitchen. “Let me check if I can make them.” She had just opened the refrigerator when the doorbell rang. Frowning, she looked towards the door as she closed the refrigerator and walked towards the front door. It was a little early for visitors. Did Sango forget something? Peering out though the small hole, her eyes widened at the sight of who waited outside. Unlocking the door, she quickly swung it open. “Mom? Kikyo? What are you doing here?”
 
“We have a problem,” her mother said, pushing her way inside. Dread passed over Kagome at her mother's words, briefly remembering the warning Myoga had given her the previous night.
 
“Grandma!” Yumi screamed, rushing forward into the older woman's arms.
 
“Oh my, you're getting big!” she said, happily scooping the girl off her feet. She turned her head back to speak to Kagome. “Kikyo will fill you in.” Attention back to Yumi, she carried her off towards the living room, taking in hushed tones and tickling the laughing girl.
 
Kagome watched her mother disappear around the corner before looking over at Kikyo who was doing the same. “What's this all about?” Looking around, Kikyo gestured for Kagome to step outside with her. Once outside, Kagome set her hands against her hips as her sister closed the door. “Well?”
 
“Nana and Aya are dead,” Kikyo said grimly.
 
“T-that's terrible.”
 
“That's not the worst of it. They were poisoned.”
 
Frowning, Kagome gave her sister a disbelieving look. “Poisoned? How is that even possible?” As far as Kagome was aware, succubi were immune to poison. In fact, nearly all demons were either completely immune to poison or had an incredibly high tolerance to it.
 
The worried expression on Kikyo's face did little to relieve her own growing anxiety. “We don't know.”
 
“Then what do you know?”
 
“Not much I'm afraid. We found evidence that they were feeding at the time they were poisoned.”
 
Kagome looked down, crossing her arms as she thought. “Where did you find them?” she said, returning her gaze back to her sister.
 
“Both were found outside mother's store—inside the illusion charm.”
 
Her eyes went wide. “Then—”
 
Kikyo nodded. “It wasn't an accident. Whoever did this knew what they were and knew what they were doing. Mom's spells aren't something an amateur can break past, especially without raising any sort of alarms.”
 
“So what—this was a warning?”
 
Kikyo shrugged. “Or a declaration.” Her voice lowered. “Mom and I think it's the Silver Cross. Odds are, we aren't the only ones to think so.”
 
“Impossible! They were wiped out years ago.”
 
“Naraku wasn't the only ranking person in the Order. With Sango's help, we managed to track down a lot of them over the years, but we haven't got all of them.” When Kagome still didn't look convinced, Kikyo continued. “It's the best we have. They have the knowledge to do something like this and the hatred to actually put it in motion.”
 
“Okay, so if I do go along with this crazy idea, what do we do now?”
 
Kikyo gave her a sheepish smile. “Actually, we came to ask you that.”
 
“What? Me? Why?”
 
“You're Mother after all.”
 
Kagome frowned. “In name only, Mom still does all the actual work.”
 
“Until something important comes along. Kagome, like it or not, you are the leader of our people now.”
 
“I haven't the slightest idea of what to do!”
 
“It's because you don't try.” Both Kagome and Kikyo jumped at the sound of their mother's voice. Beside them, their mother silently closed the door behind her as she joined them. “You hold yourself at arm's length from your people. How do you make informed decisions when you try your best to have nothing to do with us?”
 
Kagome shifted uncomfortably. “It's not that I don't want to…”
 
“Inuyasha is going to have to accept you for who you are, it's as simple as that. He was the one that ultimately made the decision to marry you. Yes, you have duties as a wife, but before that, you have duties to your people.”
 
“But—”
 
“Kagome, you and your daughter are the only two succubi not affected by the curse and until your daughter undertakes the ritual, I cannot attempt to remove it from others. That means that until then, you are the only true succubi left. You can do things we cannot. Please, I beg of you. Help us.”
 
It was weird, hearing her mother like this. The strong and confident woman she had always known was vastly different than the weak and lost woman before her. It was unbearably painful to see. Even if she was always butting heads with her, Kagome wanted her old mother back. Even Kikyo seemed desperate.
 
“I understand,” she answered finally, giving a slow nod. “I'm going to have to talk to Inuyasha about it first.”
 
“Thank you!” her mother said, grabbing her hands and pressing them against her lips.
 
Kagome quickly withdrew her hands. “Stop it, both of you. It's weird seeing you like this.”
 
Kikyo smiled, resting her hand on Kagome's shoulder. “I knew we could count on you. I'm looking forward to working with you again.”
 
She brushed her sister's hand off. “Yeah, yeah, I got it. Now if you'll excuse me,” she said, stepping past them to open the door. “If I'm going to be of any help, I have to patch things up with my husband first.”
 
“Don't be too long,” her mother said. “The longer we wait…”
 
“I know.” Closing the door, she rested her head back against it. Two succubi were dead and more would undoubtedly die the longer it took to find out the cause behind it. Cold fear gripped at her as her thoughts drifted to Yumi. In less than two weeks, her daughter would need energy, not food, to survive. If we don't find out before then… Her thoughts drifted back to her conversation with Myoga. `I fear the worst is yet to come.'
 
Damn it Myoga, I hate when you're right.
 
*******************
 
“Are you sure it was okay not to tell her?” Kikyo asked, giving an anxious glance over her shoulder towards Kagome's apartment building. “I mean, wouldn't it be better if she knew?”
 
“No, I don't want to worry her any more than we already have. Besides, it concerns us more at the moment than her.”
 
“But the neck marks—”
 
“Prove that it isn't an actual vampire,” her mother snapped.
 
“I think an actual vampire would be welcome at this point. A vampire we could fight against, but a human with vampire traits? It could be anyone.”
 
“We just have to be cautious about who we feed on. It isn't a true vampire, so the poison is weak.”
 
“Tell that to Nana and Aya,” Kikyo muttered bitterly.
 
Her mother sighed. “I know it's frustrating, but we have to do our best and deal with it.”
 
“And what about Inuyasha?”
 
“What about him?” her mother parried, glancing over.
 
“One of the reasons we came here was so you could check him out.” When her mother was silent, Kikyo placed her hand on her mother's shoulder, stopping her. “Well?”
 
“I'm worried about him.”
 
Kikyo's eyebrows rose. “Oh? Here I thought you didn't really care for the guy.”
 
“It's not that. I'm worried about him being so close to Yumi and Kagome.”
 
“Why?”
 
Her mother shrugged off her hand. “It's just a feeling I get.”
 
“A feeling?” Kikyo said flatly. She resumed walking. “Here I thought it would be something more profound.”
 
“Something's different about him.”
 
Kikyo turned around to face her mother, walking backwards. “Yeah, he's a half-demon now. Of course things are going to be different about him. Maybe his powers are awakening or something.”
 
“I certainly hope not!”
 
“Huh? I thought you said it would be okay for that to happen.”
 
“Well normally, yes, but for him to develop powers means his body is more accepting of the demon entity inside it.”
 
“What's so bad about that? If he embraces more of the demon, maybe he'll lay off Kagome some.”
 
“The entity inside him is evil Kikyo. Naraku was trying to summon a demon from the other realm. There is a reason why they are locked away from our realm. I would find it suspicious if Inuyasha's powers started awakening the exact moment a man with vampire traits is nearby.”
 
“You think they have something to do with each other?”
 
“I pray they are not.”
 
“And if they are?”
 
“…Then we have harrowing times ahead of us…”
 
*******************
 
Another chapter finished. Thanks to Jay for editing.
 
Hope everyone is enjoying the story so far. Hopefully I'll have another chapter for next week. Thanks to everyone who left a review. I appreciate them.