InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Leash ❯ Settling In ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I always find myself having to listen to Linkin Park when working on any Inuyasha story…well, mainly this one and when I was writing MLV. My brother Jason is my hero for saving my story, so-to-speak; if he hadn't recovered chapter 16, I'd be even further behind schedule. You know, this was the chapter I ended MLV; don't worry, plenty of OaL left to go. Changed all the names to their 'proper' form. (I just caught the mistake with Chapter 17 and Kikyou's name…whoopsie… Fixed that, naturally.) You guys are really good at figuring out some of the stuff in my head. Kudos to you!

*Check this out!* Michelle Latta enjoyed Chapter Fifteen so much…she drew a picture from the end of the chap! It's entitled "don't scream" and the link is in my bio and I will include it here. (Just be sure to take out the spaces when typing it in the URL).

http:// www. tenthplanetart. com/ color/ dontscream.jpg

I feel so honored and loved. ^^Thank you, Michelle, for drawing such a wonderful picture and being the first one to do a fan art of my stuff. I really am flattered.

Chapter Eighteen: Settling In

Dinner was superb, especially since Inuyasha was allowed to eat it at the table rather than the cold tile floor. It was only simple fish filets, white rice, and some soy sauce, but he didn't care. The food itself was perfect.

Souta, between sneezes, was telling Mama about the huge snow fort he'd built out back and how he wanted to have Kohaku over to have a snowball fight; Mama had to remind him that she wasn't sure, due to the sudden-but very much wanted-appearance of Inuyasha.

Gramps was eating, making little mutters to himself, usually about the gift shop's stock.

And Kagome had to help him use chopsticks after such a long absence of using anything other than his mouth and fingers (or paws); chopsticks took more coordination than a knife and fork.

"Here, Inuyasha," she said patiently, resetting the sticks in his hand. "Now, watch me." Kagome demonstrated with her own, separating a bit of fish from the rest, dipping it into the soy sauce and popping it into her mouth. "You try."

He worked the chopsticks a bit awkwardly, and his ineptness infuriated him. With an angry, quiet snarl, Inuyasha lifted a piece of fish to his mouth and gobbled it before it could teeter all the way off. He chewed it, fuming. "I can't believe I'm so bad at this…"

Kagome patted his shoulder, smiling consoling. "Don't worry. You've been out of practice. I'm sure after a few more dinners, you'll be back to using them normally."

"Yeah…" Inuyasha continued to work on his chopstick technique; all the while something perpetually pestered him. He'd told Kagome's family all the pertinent stuff, but he felt like there was something he'd yet to do.

Souta let out a loud sneeze.

Mama looked to him, handing him another napkin. "I think you might have a bit of a cold."

"No way. I don't want to have to take some nasty medicine."

Medicine… Inuyasha thought, his attention piqued. Catching a cold….

"A strong demon potion," Miss Kumiko said, leaning away from the quiescent waif. "… Master Sesshoumaru's daughter Yuki had a terrible cold a few weeks ago, and a bit of this helped her get over it in two days."

Inuyasha blinked, his memory jogged. That's right; Sesshoumaru would probably want to know what the hell's going on. He knows more about what might be going through Naraku's pea brain than me. If I want to keep Kagome and the rest of the Higurashi's safe, I probably should say what my annoying brother has to say since I'm back to normal. He didn't want me leaving when I'm not in my human form, so he's got a reason that he hasn't let me in on…

He hurriedly finished off his dinner and stacked his bowls onto his napkin before scooting away from the table. "Uh, 'scuse me," he half-assed mumbled, dumping his dishes into the sink.

"Is everything all right, dear?" Mama asked, gazing at him with motherly-loving brown eyes.

"Yeah, everything's fine. The food was great. I just have something I need to do." He whisked out of the room, catching the glimpse from Kagome as he did.

Inuyasha ducked into 'home base' and rifled through the red coat Sesshoumaru had given him for the business card. He swore to himself when it dawned on him it was still in the green jacket he'd left at the mansion.

Buyo waddled past the doorway, apparently going to take his fifth nap-tough job to be a fat cat. "Something wrong, Inuyasha?"

"I don't have the business card Sesshoumaru gave me. It's still at the mansion."

"Aren't you just a little genius?"

"Shut up, fur ball. I need that phone number."

A dot of black hopped from Buyo's backside to where Inuyasha crouched. "Lord Inuyasha," Myouga began, perching on a stack of brightly colored papers, "perhaps I can be of some assistance here. Ahem, I happen to know your brother's cell phone number as well as his work number and home. Amazing the things you can learn by simply looking around."

Inuyasha snorted. "Well then, old man Myouga, you're going to give me the cell number. I won't have to go through a bunch of people, will I?"

Myouga shook his head. "No, Master. Lord Sesshoumaru answers this one himself."

Stalking to the far hallway, the hanyou picked up the cordless phone and punched in the number his retainer gave him, choosing to hold it by his mouth and relying on his keen hearing to catch the noises coming from the human earpiece. He ducked into the den. Pick up, you bastard, he berated, slumping against the wall.

On the fifth ring, a cool voice said, "Yes?"

"Sesshoumaru, it's me."

"Inuyasha?" he sounded as surprised as was possible for him. "I was not expecting to hear your voice so soon. Returned to being a half-demon again, have you?"

"No, I'm a flying monkey--of course I have," he snapped, sliding to the floor. "Anyway, you said not to leave until I was human again, so what do I do now? I'm sure you have some reason for not wanting me out yet."

"Of course. I am merely taking precautions for you sake, little brother."

Inuyasha's eyes narrowed slightly. "What for?"

"Without going into detail, it seems that Naraku might go after you, as he already knows where Tetsusaiga is, it would be the next logical step."

That's what I was afraid of. Naraku might come here himself… "Won't it put the Higurashis in danger?" asked Inuyasha, ears twitching anxiously at the soft hums from the hallway.

"It may and it may not."

Sesshoumaru's statement wasn't all that reassuring. The thought of the Higurashi family in some form of peril made the hanyou's stomach knot up guiltily.

"It all depends," Sesshoumaru continued, "on how well we keep the fact that you are alive and back to your natural state out of the ears of Naraku's operatives. Though I am certain that he does not know the details of the prophesy or the clue left to me, Naraku knows Tetsusaiga is involved."

"I remember him and Kikyou talking about me one time," Inuyasha said, thinking aloud. "I hadn't been a dog too long, and they were talking by the car. Couldn't hear everything they said, but I know Naraku was looking for me."

Sesshoumaru made a thoughtful noise. "Perhaps he had thought you carried the deed with you. Regardless what happened in the past, Naraku now knows you and Tetsusaiga are needed to access the deed-but it is possible that he is not aware that only you may wield Tetsusaiga."

"Probably. It did accept me anyway. The old priest is dusting off my sword technique." Inuyasha shrugged to himself. "Do you still want me to stay here?"

"For the time being, yes. It would be wise to learn from Father's friend while you are there. While you have an obligation to the Higurashis, this must take precedence. We cannot allow our family's political power fall into the hands of someone so unworthy."

"Yeah, and Naraku's the worst kind of scum."

"Ambitious, powerful scum, indeed. We will talk more during your spell of humanity. I still have some preparing to do. Until then, Inuyasha." With a small 'click', Sesshoumaru left Inuyasha in the company of that parting sentiment, and a few things to think on.

Inuyasha shook his head lightly before rocking it back into the wall. "What am I gonna do…?" Can I really stay here without letting the Higurashis get into trouble? Seems unlikely…

"Mind explaining what's going on?" a voice queried, making the dog-hanyou start. Inuyasha turned his head as Kagome entered the room, peering at him curiously. "What's going on?"

"Uh…" he stalled.

She plopped down before him. "No secrets, Inuyasha. Just come out and tell me."

He swiveled his noggin away slightly. "I'd rather not…but I guess you should know."

From there, Inuyasha launched into explanation about his connection to Sesshoumaru, which Kagome admitted she had wondered about when he'd mentioned he'd gotten clothes from him; he told her about the deed and what he and Sesshoumaru had to do, the clue and the idea of a prophesy, how he'd darted off to see his brother the second time he became human, and anything he knew about Naraku-which was not much.

Even so, it felt like as if that terrible encumbrance he had been suffering for the past month or so had been lifted from his chest when he told her, and Kagome had listened intently, absorbing every word.

"So, what are we going to do?" she asked, one leg tucked up against her chest with her arms wrapped around it.

Inuyasha had gotten to his feet during his elucidation and leant against the doorframe. "I'm gonna go see Sesshoumaru and find out some more details about retrieving the deed. You are going to stay right here and NOT tag along."

"'Tag along'?" Kagome repeated, incredulous as she stood. "What? You think you're going to go off by yourself and see Sesshoumaru?"

"I don't think so, I AM. You don't need to get mixed up in this, Kagome."

"But I already am." She locked gazes with him. Kagome began to count reasons off on her fingers. "I released you from the spell, you live here, you're my fiancée, and Tetsusaiga was technically mine before you came - I have the right to go with you, and you're not going to stop me." At the last statement, she let her hand drop to her side, shaking her raven-haired head defiantly once.

"Don't be stupid!" protested Inuyasha, stepping right into her face. "If Naraku finds out you're involved more than you already are, you and your family could be in serious trouble, Kagome."

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

Kagome near-shouted, "You're not invincible, Inuyasha! And if it's true that Naraku sent those bees into the mini-shrine, we already are in 'serious trouble'." Frustration and worry lighted her face.

Inuyasha let out a growled exhale. "Kagome, I'm trying to keep you safe. Naraku is after me, not you."

"Let me go with you," she pleaded again, visage carved by tenderness. "I told you earlier that we'll face everything together-and I really meant it."

The hanyou felt his own unyielding mask soften as his fiancée looked so beseechingly at him. "Kagome," he said quietly, just as silently and unwittingly as he took her hand into his, "I don't want to see you or your family get hurt because of me. I wouldn't be able to bear that guilt." He squeezed her hand gently, feeling her silky skin against his calloused palm.

The blue diamond-sparkling eyes of Kagome remained fixed on the hanyou-boy's molten ones. "Please, Inuyasha…" she whispered.

"…I did agree with you, Kagome…that we'd face anything that came our way together…. As much as I hate to expose you to danger, I will let you come with me when I go to Sesshoumaru's. It probably would be best if you knew anyway."

"I'm not worried about being in danger. You said you wanted to protect us, Inuyasha, and I know you will." She smiled faintly, yet warmly.

Inuyasha only peered musingly at her, but lovingly so. I promise I will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

Rolling onto her side, Kagome stared listlessly at the window. Buyo mewed something out of protest from the foot of her bed, but the girl didn't pay him any mind. Curling the covers up to her chin, she heard the weak tinkle of the bell of her analog clock. Three in the morning…. Kagome watched the glistening lights from the other side of the city diffuse into the frosted glass.

It's so cold in here, she thought, feeling Buyo swagger lethargically up to her face and flop down before licking the tip of her nose. Divulging a hand from the pocket of warmth to scratch the calico's head, the girl slightly smiled as he began to purr and his yellow eyes squint happily up. The bit of heat the feline gave off was pleasant, but Kagome still couldn't force down the shiver that touched her bare toes.

Why is it so darn cold in here? And why does the bed feel so big? Eyelids slipping together, Kagome allowed her mind to wander-searching for the answer. They slid open again, coming to a conclusion. Inuyasha used to sleep in here…. He used to generate a lot of body heat, so I was always toasty warm. She adjusted her position on the soft mattress again. He took up plenty of room--he was an awful big dog, after all. I guess I just miss having him nearby…after all this time; I've just gotten so used to having him in here…

Quietly, Kagome got out of bed, carefully placing Buyo on the pillow before sneaking downstairs like she had the night before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

Inuyasha tried to get comfortable on the futon, but it didn't seem right. Yesterday, it seemed perfectly fine, since he had been a bit tired from transforming and everything and it being as late as it was that night. But tonight, Inuyasha just wasn't used to the feel of the thin mattress. He'd lain every which way. He had pulled on blankets and kicked off blankets. He'd even tried sleeping against the wall-having been moved from the den to his bedroom, formerly known as 'home base'.

No matter how hard he tried, nothing seemed right, it seemed like something was missing.

For the past few hours, Inuyasha had spent some time thinking about his life thus far, whilst staring at the dark ceiling high above him. As a hanyou, he'd lived for seventeen years, and as a dog he'd gained an extra fifty. While his life wasn't filled with the best things through and through, and even though right now he was in a bit of indirect jeopardy-and engaged to boot--, living with the Higurashi family had proved to be a wonderful thing, dog or hanyou he was the most content he'd been in a very long time.

"Inuyasha?"

"Huh?" Looking from the rafters to the cracked-open slider, Inuyasha saw Kagome, dressed in the same purple pants and purple cat shirt she'd worn the night before. "Hey, what're you doing up?" he asked, rising his back out of his earlier sit-up position. He slung his arms over his knees and let his hands hang down in the gap between his legs.

"I couldn't sleep." Kagome walked over and sat down beside him. "Why are you still up?"

"Couldn't sleep." Turning to the futon and giving it a light punch, he said, "I can't get comfortable. I don't mind it being dark in here, but something seems off."

She nodded. "I know what you mean."

The starting pings of hail stones tatting against the shrine sounded in the brief silence.

Inuyasha gazed to Kagome again. "Just what we need: more hail. Last time I got stuck in the thick of it on my way to Sesshoumaru's. That was fucking annoying."

"It was awful. There's probably going to be a lot of unhappy people with dented cars." Kagome traced a circle with her index finger on the futon. "It's really chilly in my room, and I can hear the hail in there. It can get really loud sometimes. I…" She felt the blood rush to her face. "I was wondering if I…if I could sleep in here with you…" she barely managed.

"Uh…" Inuyasha's ears began to grow warm. "I-I'm not sure if that's such a good idea, Kagome," replied a squeaky-voiced Inuyasha.

"I don't mean anything bad! I just mean…like…cuddle or something--like before, you know?" By this point, Kagome's voice had faded to a near inaudible timbre.

"I, uh…" Inuyasha blinked widely, gaze darting to the solitary pillow on the solitary futon. "I g-guess that would be ok…. I mean, it's 'cause you're cold, right?"

"Yeah…" Basically. Wriggling beneath the comforter, Kagome laid down. "Well, um, good night, Inuyasha. Sweet dreams."

He nodded once, ears twitching to the rhythm of the falling hail. "Yeah, you too." It wasn't until Kagome had made herself comfortable and her breathing became even that Inuyasha flopped down beside her. The gentle scent of rose touched his nose coupled with her quiet warmth near him, and he relaxed.

After all, he had regained what was missing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Whew. I hope this was good fluff. I wasn't expecting this at first, but Inu and Kag wanted this so I did. Thanks for all the reviews. I can't remember if there was anything else I was going to say, so for now, I will say "later".

~Moonlight Shadow

P.S. Thank you, Mom, for the title; I was really stuck.