InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On My Own ❯ On My Own ( One-Shot )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Okay, I added an addition. ^_^ I hope you like the new part... I didn't add it as an extra chapter, so you'll have to scroll down a little bit... ^_^ Thank you for reading!!!


On My Own


"The cursed well. How I hate you! You brought me so much pain I can't imagine a happy life! Why was it me?!" Kagome fell down to her knees. She was now twenty-one years old, she hadn't seen Inuyasha or anyone in three years.

The final battle with Naraku had been long and tiring. Kagome's happiest memory happened on that day. Naraku was blowing things up with his baboon puppets, bees, anything he could use. Kagome was stuck, hanging on to the edge of what used to be the wood floor. Kikyou also dangled from the floor, not two feet away.

"Inuyasha!" the girls screamed. Kikyou more just spoke, emotionless, her pale eyes never moving from a spot directly across the room. The situation was very cliche, who would Inuyasha save? Kagome found it almost hillarious at the situation she was in. She waited for Inuyasha to hear her and come running over, finally having to make his final decision.

"INUYASHA!" Kagome used the last of her energy screaming. Inuyasha heard her and his eyes darted around the room wildly.

"Sango! Miroku! Take over, Kagome's in trouble!" he yelled orders as though he were a drill instructor and this was merely boot camp. Sango and Miroku nodded and continued battling Kagura, and some mindless puppets Naraku had conjured.

"Kagome, I can't see you! Where are you?" Inuyasha called, looking everywhere but down.

"Inuyasha down here! The edge!" finally he was coming. The moment of truth. She looked down, it was a three story fall, at least, and there was some kind of lava looking liquid. Far to cliche for Kagome, she laughed out loud.

"Kagome!" he spotted her. Kagome counted in her head, waiting for him to see Kikyou.

"Three... two..."

"Kikyou." Yep . She thought. Now it's over. I should just let go. There is no way I can bring myself back up, and I can't hold on much longer. Kagome wanted to much to say good bye. But she couldn't bring herself to do so. She knew if she said good bye he would save her and then regret it for the rest of his life. So she tried one last time to pull herself up. When that didn't work, she let go. She felt herself falling freely. She closed her eyes, the last image that flashed before her eyes was Inuyasha's dazzling amber eye's. She felt tears in her eye's. With a sudden jerk she stopped. She felt herself being lifted rather then falling.

"Inuyasha?" she opened her eyes. Inuyasha was lifting her with both hands. Soon she was touching solid ground.

"Kagome," he gently touched her cheek, pressing his forehead against hers, "Why did you let go? You could have died." Kagome allowed more tears to freely fall as she smiled widely.

"You saved my life. But Kikyou.." Kagome was soon cut off.

"You are what matters Kagome. Kikyou did, I can't forget her, but she died. Fifty years ago. What I felt for her couldn't have been love. We didn't trust each other." Kagome felt bad now. She would have bet her life, and nearly did, that Inuyasha would save Kikyou. That led her to the conclusion that she didn't trust him. But she did love him. Am I just confused? she asked herself.

"I love you Kagome." he brushed her lips gently and she melted to his touch. Allowing him to do whatever he wanted.

"I love you Inuyasha."

"I am glad you two are so happy. However, there is a giant evil demon trying to kill us all. Could we focus?!" Miroku was standing next to the couple and looked very angry.

"Sorry." Kagome grabbed her bow and arrow which had been forgotten, and began rapidly shooting.

Soon Kagura was down. That was easy. Kagome thought. They all fought, using various strengths to make combined efforts and kill everything that stood in their way. Naraku himself was all that remained. He was out of puppets, and spawn's to send after the Hanyou and his companions. Sango hit him three times with her big boomerang*, allowing Kagome to hit him with her sacred arrows to pin him to the wall. Miroku had sucked in a lot of demons, and some poisonous insects, so he was sitting this round out, so to speak. Inuyasha walked up to Naraku, who was immobile at this point.

"You," Inuyasha breathed heavily, though not from exhaustion, but rather frustration, "you made my life hell. You made me think that I was a horrible person. I will be the happiest hanyou alive as I watch you die right now." with a look of malice and pleasure spread across Inuyasha's face, he unsheathed Tetsusaiga. One quick blow and Naraku was sent to oblivion. Inuyasha didn't stop though, he sliced Naraku until various body parts lay scattered throughout the room. Finally he put Tetsusaiga back into its resting place.

Kagome walked up to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. She then noticed the glowing shards of the Shikon no Tama. She picked up the pieces and watched as they fused with her pieces. The jewel was complete.

"Let's go. I've done what I sent out to do." He grabbed Kagome gently and began walking out of the room. Until a sudden gasp caught his attention. He turned to see Sango hugging Miroku.

"You are fixed! I am so happy for you!" Sango hugged Miroku again and he allowed his hands to wander. Meriting a slap, but a smile none-the-less.

"Sango. I am sorry we couldn't save Kohaku." Kagome said sadly as she hugged her friend.

"Thank you for your comfort. It was meant to be." Sango reasoned with herself. Kagome nodded, but didn't know that she agreed. She wished she could have done something. Everyone had what they wanted, Inuyasha had avenged Kikyou's death and his betrayal. Miroku's hand was fixed and had secured that future generations wouldn't be cursed. But Sango, she got nothing out of this. Except friends, Kagome reasoned.. No, more then friends. She got a family.

The group walked, stopping to make camp a few hours later. The next morning they walked some more, until finally they were home, at Kaede's hut.

"Kagome. You must go." Kaede said simply.

"What?"

"If you stay here with the completed jewel things will go terribly wrong. You must go home and seal the well. You can never speak of this day again. You must leave, flee." Kaede was kind of scary. She looked enraged as she forced Kagome to leave the hut. Kaede pushed her all the way to the well.

"Listen ya old hag! I am not letting Kagome leave. Now without me." Inuyasha stood between Kagome and Kaede. Kagome smiled happily to herself. Yeah, stand up to Inuyasha. I dare ya.

"Move Hanyou! This doesn't concern you." Inuyasha turned to Kagome and did the last thing she suspected. He bit her. Where the space between the neck and the collar bone dipped in slightly, she had a slight incision. He turned back to Kaede.

"Now it does." he had made her his mate. Anything that concerned Kagome, now concerned him. Kagome took a minute to think of what he meant. She then remembered a conversation she had with Miroku a few months back. Demon's would bite their mates to claim them. I'm his mate! She smiled happily inside and out. She wrapped her arms around Inuyasha's torso and he slightly jumped at the action. But he allowed her to cling to him.

"IF SHE DOESN'T LEAVE WE WILL ALL DIE!" Kaede yelled loudly, in a tone Kagome had never heard from the gentle old women. She released Inuyasha and stood paralyzed, her happy feelings gone.

"What do you mean? The jewel has lived here before. Nothing bad happened then. Why can't she just guard it?" Inuyasha asked, obviously not afraid of the old women's tone.

"She isn't Kikyou. The jewel was suppose to die with my sister. This girl will kill us all! Now get in the well!" Kaede must have got Inuyasha off guard because he was soon on his ass, confused as to how he fell onto the ground.

"I am sorry Kagome." Kaede pushed her into the well. The last image that flashed before her face was Inuyasha screaming her name. Tears forming in his amber eyes.

"Don't cry Inuyasha."

Kagome opened her eyes. "Don't cry." she told herself. She still sat next to the well. She had been thinking to all the pain the past had caused her. Then she reasoned with herself, as she always did, that it was for the best.

"Without Inuyasha, I might never have learned to love. I might not know how to be as strong as I am. Even though emotionally I can be a wreck. I know I am stronger because of him. I have to be thankful." Kagome took a deep shaky breath, trying to calm herself.

She looked around at the cold desolate wasteland that was her life**.

~~~ And now I'm all alone again
Nowhere to turn, no one to go to
Without a home without a friend
Without a face to say hello to
And now the night is near
I can make believe he's here ~~~

Kagome walked into the house, which had been abandoned for some time. Her mother had died a year ago in a bullet-train accident. It broke Kagome's heart, but she was strong for her brother. Her Grandfather had died as well, not because of the bullet-train, he had died of natural causes when Kagome was sixteen. Now Souta lived at boarding school most of the time. Kagome lived on campus, but the family still owned the house, though no one lived there.

Kagome went to visit it often. It reminded her of her mother, and Inuyasha. One summer she bet him forty packages of ramen that he couldn't spend a week in her world. He won the bet, and she was out forty packs of ramen. She laughed as she remembered everything that had happened to her when she was younger. Traveling with her best friends, wondering if Sango ever bore Miroku's children. Wondering if Inuyasha ever found someone. She prayed he did, she wanted him to be happy.

Another part of her wanted him to always long for her though, like she longed for him. She wondered if she was a bad person for thinking such a thing. Kagome laid on the floor in what used to be her room. The cold hard wood felt soothing against her blotchy hot cheeks. Kagome couldn't stand being lost in her thoughts anymore. She wanted fresh air. She walked back out into the cold brisk autumn air.

~~~ Sometimes I walk alone at night
When everybody else is sleeping
I think of him and I'm happy
With the company I'm keeping
The city goes to bed
And I can live inside my head ~~~

Kagome walked in the park, imaging that Inuyasha was next to her. She knew it was silly to wish for, she knew they would never be together again. Absentmindedly she caressed the imprint on her neck. She still had the scar from Inuyasha's love mark. She felt more tears. But they were tears of joy. She loved him, she didn't care if she was never with another man. She had, had the love of the only man worth her heart. That was good enough for her.

~~~ On my own
Pretending he's beside me
All alone
I walk with him till morning
Without him
I feel his arms around me
And when I lose my way I close my eyes
And he has found me ~~~

Kagome closed her eyes to thoughts of Inuyasha. She reflected on one time when he had caught her in the hot spring.

Kagome sat in the spring peering around making sure Miroku wasn't peeping. She rested against a moss covered rock. She closed her eyes and sighed heavily, enjoying the warmth of the water against her aching joints. She exhaled deeply and opened her eyes to see a huge spider dangling in front of her face. She screamed with a high-pitched sound that could have awoken the dead. Inuyasha had, of course, come running.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" he stopped to see a rather naked Kagome. He waited for her to scream angrily and 'sit' him until his back was broken.

"It's a really big spider," Kagome groaned. Inuyasha opened his eyes and smiled, laughing. He swatted the spider away and continued to smile.

Kagome noticed this and quickly sunk into the water. "Leave." he continued to stand in place. "Sssssss.." Inuyasha braced himself for a command. Kagome laughed and told him again to leave. He quickly agreed and ran off. His silver hair bouncing as he leapt from tree to tree.

~~~~ In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever ~~~

Kagome snapped once again out of her daydream. She was sitting on the ground in the park. She stood up and walked to a bench. Not a soul in sight, just how she liked things. She closed her eyes, wanting his beautiful face to reappear in her mind. "Inuyasha." she said out loud.

~~~ And I know it's only in my mind
That I'm talking to myself and not to him
And although I know that he is blind
Still I say, there's a way for us ~~~

She fell asleep there, on the park bench. Her thoughts clouding over with visions of Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango, Shippo. Inuyasha's voice called to her, but he seemed so far away. She was trapped in a black abyss. All around her she was engulfed in darkness. Inuyasha's hand reached down to her, a small speck of light. She reached out to him, but their hands never touched. She began to weep. She cried loudly, trying with all her strength to reach the man above.

"Young lady. Are you alright?" a kind elderly lady looked down at Kagome. It was morning, she had slept all night.

"Yes, I am sorry. Thank you." she sat up and walked passed dozens of strangers, already up and about for the day. She came to a small river and dipped her hands into the cool liquid before splashing some on to her red face.

~~~I love him
But when the night is over
He is gone
The river's just a river
Without him
The world around me changes
The trees are bare and everywhere
The streets are full of strangers ~~~

Kagome wondered back to the well. The sun was well risen and she passed many people, couples, holding hands, parents leading there children off to play on this bright Saturday. Kagome sighed heavily as she found herself collapsing against the well. "I wonder if you found love. I hope you found someone. Maybe Kikyou didn't die, and you could be with her. I really hope there is someone with you my love." she found that she wasn't crying anymore, like she had done every time thoughts of Inuyasha flooded her mind. Perhaps she had nothing left to give. "Maybe someday you will come back for me." she laughed in spite of herself.

~~~ I love him
But every day I'm learning
All my life
I've only been pretending
Without me
His world would go on turning
A world that's full of happiness
That I have never known ~~~

"I hope you found peace Inuyasha. I am still looking, and will always look, because without you, I'll never find it." she wanted to cry. Her eyes burned, but tears could not come out. She took the Shikon no Tama off her neck, where it dangled from a small chain. She threw the jewel into the well and sealed it. "Good Bye Inuyasha."

~~~ I love him
I love him
I love him
But only on my own ~~~

Kagome took out a penknife she kept in her pocket. She opened the blade and stared at it. It was fairly sharp. She gazed at the well and then at the cold desolate wasteland that was her life. Inuyasha's face took over her minds eye again. She smiled to herself, as she poured her crimson soul.

Kagome's hand dropped to her side. The death was long, and painful. She closed her eyes, bleeding heavily. "Inuyasha". she looked, in her mind, at the image before her. The white haired god who she had not been able to live without. Slowly, the light faded, darkness surrounded her. How this dreaded darkness seemed to call to her. She enjoyed the feel of the darkness, she embraced it. Her eye's fluttered open, the pale blue sky still shined, the birds still sang.

"They will move on. The world wont stop spinning. My life is complete." Kagome allowed her eyes to close again.







Addition ~~~~~~~~~~

§¤ -- §¤ < thoughts

"They will move on. The world wont stop spinning. My life is complete." Kagome allowed her eyes to close again.

§¤The world around me turned into a swirl of blue's and gray's. I felt superior, maybe that wasn't the best word, I felt, happy, like this was what was meant to happen all along. I opened my eyes. Why am I still here? Stupid well! Wait... I hear a siren. What is that?§¤ Kagome opened her eyes to see an ambulence and many EMT's at her side.

"Luky she missed that artery. She would have been dead in minutes had you not gotten to her first." An elderyly lady said as Kagome was lifted onto a stretcher. "What would posses a young lady to do this to herself?" the same voice asked.

"I think I know." A man's voice called from somewhere Kagome couldn't see, possibly outside the well house. Kagome allowed her eyes to drift shut, but she kept snapping them open.

§¤ That voice, I know that voice §¤ She waited for a moment when she could see the owner of the voice. Out in the sunlight she tried to shield her eyes, but her arms wouldn't move. She was carried onward into a waiting ambulance. Then she saw what she was looking for when the voice spoke again.

"What hospital is she going to?" Another voice spoke, inaudiable, and then the man's once again, "Okay, I will meet you there." Kagome braved against the sun again, she saw him.

She tried to call out, but her voice wasn't working. §¤ No... No please... Inu §¤ her eyes drifted close again.

The steady beeping of a heart monitor could be heard, under that the mundain dropping of the liquid from the ivy attached to Kagome's arm. Kagome allowed her eye's to open wearily. She almost flew off the bed to what she saw.

"Kagome! Sit down, it's okay. Relax. Are you okay? Gods scare me half to death why don't ya!" the angry approach to dealing with this tragedy. Kagome smiled at, what she assumed to be, her rescuer.

"How did you know?" she asked.

"Are you sure you are okay?" he ignored her earlier question.

"Inuyasha?" he looked over at her. He was now holding on to her shoulder's leaning gently on top of her, making sure she didn't move any further.

"Hai. Why would you do that?"

"You are the most dense baka on the face of the planet!" she yelled angrily.

"I see your strength is returning, and your still as fiesty as ever." Inuyasha sat on the edge of the bed, finally having released his gentle grasp on Kagome.

"Why are you here?" she asked again. "How did you get here? The well, Kaede. What happened?"

"Okay, calm down. Here goes. How old do you think I am?"

"Around twenty." she said hesitantly.

"Try about five hundred and twenty." he smiled at her broadly as her eyes widened.

"Does that mean?"

"Yep, I've been waiting for you." she smiled brightly and blushed slightly at the comment. "Five hundred years is a long time. I moved all around the world. I was in Antartica on an expedition when I realized I was late to 'meet' you." she gave him a confused look. "Let me explain. I work for the FBI or something like it, I am really not at liberty to say. Because I am a demon, it makes me a vaulable asset. Anyway, I left the mission, got on a plane and came back here. But I couldn't smell your scent, the one at the shrine was far to old. I looked all around the city for you. Finally this morning I picked it up at the park, and followed it, back to the shrine. Your blood was thick in the air so I called nine, one, one, and they were there in like a minute. I was impressed. Anyway I kept the blood from flowing with my jacket. Finally they took you away and now you are here." he finished his story and Kagome felt horrible. §¤He actually waited for me for five hundred years?§¤

"Then I find my mate, and she is trying kill herself." Kagome blushed again and tilted her head in shame.

"I am so sorry Inuyasha. I was stupid, I thought that you didn't care about me. I know I only waited three years, but, I guess," she took a deep breath and said, "I guess I didn't think you loved me."

"Are you insane?" he gently cupped her chin with his hand, "Kagome. I love you. I have since I met you. You are the only one for me. Always." she smiled and blushed again, tears of joy welling up in her eyes. "Now give me a kiss." she let out a small laugh and graciously obeyed his request.

There lips brushed lightly, Inuyasha begging enterence, she complied with no hesitation. Inuyasha searched her mouth, wrapping his hands around her frail figure. Kagome wrapped a hand around his neck, the other imobile from machines and tubes, she ran her hands threw his hair and pulled him closer into her. Desperately graving air they reluctantly seperated.

"I love you Inuyasha."

"I love you Kagome..." he kissed her again, with even more passion and vigor, "Always."


Yay, happy ending, don't ya love me? ^-^ Okay it might not be that great of an ending, but is better then thinking your life will end in eternal misery right?! Yay! Okay Review please and read my other fics ^_^ hehe love you guys!!!



Hey all of you lovely people! Hope you like the Fic. I have tons of ideas and I am working on two other fics for you guys ^-^.. but I decided to write this because I've been listening to the song for weeks and I've been wanting to write a Fic for it.. so I did ^_^ Yay go me...
Oh yes, and the ** if you love me, remember this line! ^_^
As for the other ** I know the name of Sango's boomerang but I knew I would butcher the name so I just boomerang ^_^