InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On the Outside ❯ Heartbroken ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
This was written for Iyfic_Contest at LJ's prompt: Safe Answer
Summary: Kagome evaluates her feelings.

Kagome felt incredibly guilty. She'd never intended to let Sesshoumaru know her true feelings for him. Sure, he defended her humanity and their friendship to his other friends, but there was no way he would ever be all right with her falling in love with him. He'd never liked hanyou, but she'd never witnessed just how nasty he could be when faced with one.

When Inuyasha showed up, she'd thought... maybe. Maybe this would be her chance to test the waters. If he could accept a hanyou as a friend then perhaps she had a chance at his heart. The fact that Inuyasha was his brother had made her think that it would be easier to be around him than just any hanyou, but it seemed that their shared blood only made his hatred worse.

Sesshoumaru's refusal to even breathe the same air as his half-brother had broken her heart and shattered any illusions she'd held that maybe they could be together. She'd never been so disappointed in her friend and she'd never hurt so much in her life. Ending her association with the taiyoukai had been the hardest thing she'd ever done in her life, but she was sure it was the right thing. Staying friends with Sesshoumaru would have only made the pain worse. Being reminded daily that she could never be with him, that she would never have his heart the way he had hers, would have been torture.

No, they were never meant to be. It would have been impossible, because even if he would lower himself to date a human, he would never mate her because their union would result in hanyou. All the time she'd spent daydreaming about what their children would look like had been a waste. When he turned his back on Inuyasha, when he tried everything he could think of to get her away from his half-brother, Sesshoumaru might as well have looked her in the eye and told her she wasn't worthy of his love.

Still, when she'd told the taiyoukai about her feelings, he hadn't looked disgusted. He was certainly shocked, but there was something else in his expression that tugged at her heart. Now, no matter how hard she'd fought to keep it from happening, hope had flooded back into her. She knew she was only setting herself up to get hurt, but she couldn't help it. The fact that Sesshoumaru hadn't returned to school since that day confused her. Was he staying away out of disgust or had she really seen heartbreak in his eyes?

She needed to know, she needed some kind of answer, and so she dialed his home phone number. Two rings later, a servant answered and asked whom she wanted to speak with. Kagome was silent for a long moment while her thoughts ran wild. Then she sighed. She couldn't do it. She couldn't ask the questions she needed answered.

"Can I speak to Inuyasha, please?"