InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On the Outside ❯ Sacrifice ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter 11 - Sacrifice (Stella's Soundtrack Challenge - I Talk to the Rain)

Kagome sighed as she stared out the window at the rain. It seemed as if nature knew how she felt, even if no one else did, and it was commiserating with her. She blinked back the tears that brimmed her eyes and watched the water drip from the leaves and cause ripples in the puddles on the ground. The sound of a chair scraping the floor beside her snapped her out of her thoughts and the miko quickly wiped her eyes, attempting to hide the fact that she'd been on the verge of bursting into tears.

Inuyasha knew better as he sat next to his only friend. He could smell the salt on her as well as sense the deep depression that was darkening her usually brilliant aura. The hanyou bit back a growl. He knew why she was upset, knew that her heart was broken, and he wished there was something he could do to help her. She was an angel sent directly from the heavens to save him, but in doing so, she'd caused seemingly irreparable damage to herself. It hadn't been hard to figure out.

At first, she'd been angry with Sesshoumaru, outraged by his behavior. She was constantly apologizing to him for his elder brother's harsh words and cruel actions. After a while she became more annoyed than angry as she struggled to understand how her friend could have had such darkness hidden inside him for so long without her ever seeing it. It seemed as if she had expected him to change, to move past his hatred and bigotry. Surely if he cared for her in any way, Sesshoumaru would have done so. From there, she became sad, clearly disappointed that she was losing a long time friend over something she saw as insignificant, Inuyasha's parentage.

After he'd learned that his half-brother was secretly in love with Kagome, Inuyasha had used that knowledge to torment the taiyoukai, mostly because he'd never been in a position to be able to do so before and a little revenge sounded good. Not long after that, however, something changed. Something had to have happened between the two of them because Sesshoumaru had changed drastically. He had never seen his elder sibling hide from anything, but for the last week he'd been doing exactly that. At the same time as the taiyoukai's self-imposed isolation, Kagome's mood had shifted as well. Now she was devastated, obviously depressed, and she seemed a shell of her former self.

Inuyasha hadn't figured it out right away, but after a few days of watching her behavior: her furtive glances towards Sesshoumaru's locker every time they passed, the way she refused to visit his home, and many other little things; he realized it. Kagome was in love with Sesshoumaru. At first he tried to deny it. It wasn't fair! The only person to ever treat him as anything other than a leper could not be in love with his greatest tormentor. As the days ticked by, though, he began to accept it.

He couldn't take it any longer. Kagome did not deserve to suffer this way. She was giving up everything so that he could have a friend, but if he sat back and did nothing to help her then he didn't deserve her friendship anyway. Though it went against every instinct he had, Inuyasha knew that he had to do something. He had to find a way to bring them back together, even if it resulted in him being completely alone once again.