InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One way out ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One-Way Out
Summary: when tragedy strikes so hard, sometimes it seems the only way out is the most painful, for every one.
Lyrics by James Blunt: Beautiful
I know it doesn't seem like it fits but trust me at the end it will make sense
*****************
My life is brilliant.
My love is pure.
I saw an angel.
Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.
 
Kagome hid behind the tree, trying to hold the tears that begged to be freed.
`Why InuYasha?' her mind thought frantically as she fought the tears once more. She balled up her fist around her shirt and felt her heart breaking slowly. She listened intently as the pair talked, she had no clue why she still was listening but she was.
 
“InuYasha, when shall you leave that wretch and join me in hell?”
 
“Once the Shikon no Tama has been completed. Then I can tell Kagome of my choice and tell her we were nothing more than passing strangers or friends in a short manner.”
 
“How do you think my re-incarnation shall take the news?” she asked in a deceitful tone.
 
“Really, I don't care”
 
Kagome felt her heart breaking more then any other time.
She finally gave up and ran. She was tired of hearing the two.
She passed by the camp, not even stopping to tell the others, she just ran.
She paused at the Bone-Eaters well- she had been there a few moments when she felt an eerie presence.
 
“Kikyo” she breathed out
 
“Miko, I know you were there and heard my and InuYasha's conversation”
 
“Yea, what of it? He chose you, so go- leave me alone”
 
“No, since you are finally leaving- forcefully or not- I shall tell you my true intentions”
 
“True intentions? Kikyo what are you talking about?”
 
 
“Are you so foolish? Can you not see through my plot?
If you were truly my re-incarnation you would have known and tried to stop it, but that is where we are different.”
 
“What are you talking about?”
 
“I do not love InuYasha. You know this as well as Keada and the two companions you travel with, seems as though only InuYasha does not know.”
 
“Why are you telling me this?”
 
“Since you are leaving, I thought you should know. As I was saying, I plan to drag InuYasha to hell so he cannot have you. Both you and he shall be miserable. But that is not it, only one shall go.”
 
“What are you talking about? He said he would join you- you won't be alone.” She shouted
 
“I know -he will though. I shall rip out his heart and consume it so I may live again and he shall die, taking my place in hell.” She said with an evil but solace smirk.
 
“You bitch! How could you? He loves you and you are taking his love and screwing him over!!”
 
Kikyo had never heard Kagome use such language, so she never expected when Kagome launched an arrow at her- hitting her square in the chest.
The souls of the dead women exited her body as she let an earth-shattering scream escape causing InuYasha to arrive.
Kagome was walking towards Kikyo's ashes and picked up the shards she carried as well as saying a small prayer for her soul- that is when InuYasha arrived. She felt his presence immediately and looked up to see his golden gaze staring painfully at her.
 
“InuYasha.....” she breathed
 
You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw you face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.
 
She never saw it coming. His hand connected harshly with her cheek.
She went flying back by several feet- landing at the base of the well and hitting her head on the side.
 
“What the fuck Kagome? Why did you kill her?” he screamed as the girl touched the tender area of her cheek.
 
Tears that threatened to fall before fell. She slowly got off the ground and approached InuYasha. He had knocked her back by about 5 feet.
 
“InuYasha, I'm sorry she gave me no choice. She was going to kill you so she could live” she sobbed
 
“No. we were going to go to hell together and you couldn't accept that so you killer her. I always knew you hated her but...... I never knew you would..... Kill her” he stuttered as the anger in his voice began to appear
 
“InuYasha, I love you, you know I would never purposely hurt you” she begged
 
“I thought you loved me.”
 
It was an awkward silence. Kagome stared at the golden eyes she had come to love. At one point she thought she had seen love but if it was there it wasn't now. Now all there was was resentment.
 
“InuYasha I know you only see me as a shard hunter but I had hoped you would.... I mean maybe at one point.... “Tears began falling once more
 
“No Kagome, I never loved you. You knew I had feelings for you, but they were merely of a ....”
 
“Passing stranger?” she offered
 
“You heard?”
 
“Every word of it” she cried “I saw you had run off, so I followed as always. I saw you and her locked in a passionate kiss and then heard you talk”
 
“I didn't want you to find out that way”
 
“Well I did”
 
There was a long silence before Kagome spoke.
 
“I'm leaving”
 
“How long?”
 
“Forever”
 
He looked shocked for a moment but he had expected it.
He knew when he slapped her and when she cried that last time that she would leave, forever.
 
“Kagome...... “
 
“No you made it clear that you loved Kikyo.” She held the newly completed Shikon jewel and handed it to him “Here wish her back”
 
“Do you hate me?” he asked quietly as he took the jewel
 
“I could never hate you. I probably should, but I don't”
 
“I can't say I love you.....”
 
“I know it's not like I had hoped that at the end of this journey you would see me as more then just a friend. I mean it's not like I wanted you to return my feelings or anything”
 
“Good to know you understand” he said stupidly
 
She had her legs over the lip of the well, readied to jump in.
 
“You will always be the oblivious hanyou I fell in love with” she whispered as she dove in for the last time, not realizing her heard her
 
`Kagome, I hope in time you can forgive me'
0o0o0o0o
 
Yeah, she caught my eye,
As we walked on by
She could see from my face that I was,
Fucking high,
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last till the end.
 
Back in her own time zone, Kagome snapped.
She slammed down on her pillow and began crying enough to flood the earth. Her body was in tremors as she sobbed harshly on her bed.
 
“Why...: sob: can't.... you...... love me:hiccup: why do you hate: cough: me?” she sobbed harder. She then pictured what would have happened had she not killed Kikyo. She merely sobbed harder.
 
Finally after a while, she got up and walked to her mirror.
 
`I look horrible' she mentally scolded
Her hair had been matted and her face was flushed
She grabbed her brush and began trying to comb out the mattes but only to slam down the brush in frustration.
 
“KAGOME DINNER” her mother yelled down stairs
 
She walked down the hallway and the stairs until she reached the kitchen
Her mother took one look at her then...
 
“Sweetie what's wrong? Did you and InuYasha get in a fight?”
 
“I can never go back” she whispered
 
Her mother dropped the plates on the table and walked to her daughter, locking her in an understanding embrace
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“I sealed the well. He wants Kikyo not me. I want him to be happy, but I killed Kikyo. She was going to destroy him so ... I killed her” she calmly and sadly said “InuYasha didn't love me, he only saw me as a `passing stranger'. So I left.”
Her mother digested what she had said before re-iterating
 
“So, he claimed you weren't his friend? Did he tell you to leave? Or was it of you own accord?”
 
Kagome was silent for a moment before....
 
“In his own unsaid words he wanted me to leave. “ Kagome said while walking up the stairs before realizing how stupid she sounded
 
0o0o0o0o0
Back in Feudal Japan
0o0o0o0o0
InuYasha sat by the well with his head slumped, picking at a piece of grass.
 
`Kagome, if only you could understand. I had too I'm sorry.' His mind welded in the pain of losing her.
He stared at the well, it looked back, unforgiving.
“I had to, she didn't belong here, and we didn't belong. “He yelled at the well.
The well seemed to stare back in disbelief
“It wasn't meant, she belongs there, and ...... not with me” he screamed again before realizing he was alone.
0o0o0o0o
Normal time zone
0o0o0o
Kagome was up in her room, lights turned off, CD player on low, and lay sprawled out on her bed, tears still pouring.
It had been three weeks since the event and she still refused to leave her room. Souta placed food by her door hoping she would eat- she refused it.
Her friends came to try to comfort but only left her in inconsolable sobs
Little did she know, on the other side of the well, InuYasha had been the same. InuYasha had been sitting by the well for the entire time.
Shippoe would bring him food only to have the depressed hanyou shove it aside and tell him to leave or die. Sango would come by regularly to check on him just to find him sitting there looking far away.
Miroku had given up as well as Keada, they knew the only person who could help was the one who did this, and she wasn't coming back.
 
Kagome was still on her bed, she had no will to move.
She even refused to sleep, claiming to wake in the middle of the night dreaming of InuYasha.
 
You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw you face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you
 
Kagome had grown weaker, paler and thinner.
InuYasha had also grown pale and thin. Both sat, un-moving, refusing anyone's help and desperate to forget.
Kagome sat up, having the sudden urge to go to the well.
She slowly slid open the screen door, it looked the same it had since she left over a month ago. She sat leaning her back against the well.
She felt sudden warmth engulf her body.
 
“InuYasha” she said unconsciously
 
On the other end InuYasha lay with his back against the well as well.
The same warmth engulfed him of that of Kagome.
His mind rushed to her, the one woman who held his heart, which he pushed away.
 
“Kagome”
 
As the world continued on, two oblivious lovers closed their eyes for one final time. Having been content with the small contact the well permitted, their souls were finally at ease as they slipped from their owner's body.
 
You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.