InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Weakness ❯ Hello ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

******************************************

Playground school bell rings, again

Rain clouds come to play, again

*******************************************

Sesshoumaru stood motionless in an open field. No matter which way he looked, there were bodies of dead demons scattered about. All of them killed mercilessly by his very hand. His eyes were still glowing red, his body tense while his beautiful white hair lifted with the breeze. Lightning flashed in the sky, lighting up his eyes dangerously. The thunder that crashed sounded out the growls that wanted to break free from his own body.

"Naraku…" The only word he was able to utter. The filthy half-breed had sent an army of demons to attack Sesshoumaru, but Sesshoumaru had not been alone. He had been traveling with Jaken, Ah and Un and…Rin. Quickly his thoughts cleared and he began looking around the bloodied field. He quickly found Jaken near a tree. The small demon was not dead, but had been injured greatly.

"Jaken, where is Rin?" Sesshoumaru asked, trying to keep his temper under control. The imp wasn't able to reply, merely turn his head in the direction of the small girl.

The demon lord found Ah and Un's bloodied body at the edge of the field. Clearly, the demon had tried to remove Rin from the battle. He stared down at the creature in an emotionless gaze and then lifted his eyes to the small lifeless body of Rin, a few feet from him.

*******************************************

Has no one told you she's not breathing?

Hello?

********************************************

Sesshoumaru walked gracefully around the dead creature and approached the human child. Instantly, he felt his chest tighten. The proud demon did not understand his reaction as he gazed down at the innocent being, now lying lifelessly in front of him. He had witnessed her in death before, but now was different. Rin had followed and obeyed him without question. Showing him respect and even love, like no being before. Sesshoumaru glanced down at the hilt of his Tenseiga, awaiting the pulse that would grant him the ability to bring her back. Moments past and Sesshoumaru felt his pulse quicken. He glanced at the girl again and back to his sword.

"Why are you denying her, Tenseiga?" He asked in a cold tone. He was positive the sword had been a curse placed upon him by his father. The fact that he, Sesshoumaru, was given the ability to bring back life when he would much rather take it away, was a slap in the face. Now he found himself growing frustrated, but refused to break his cold demeanor. This sword, that taunted him with the ability to save those he felt deserved death, would not grant him the ability to bring back the one being he wished to see live.

Sesshoumaru pulled the Tenseiga from it's sheathe and held it in front of him, studying it with an intense gaze. "Why do you refuse?" He questioned in a low voice. He took hold of the hilt tightly and swung it above the child. He stiffened when her body remained motionless. His grip on the sword tightened as he stood staring down at Rin. Finally, he sheathed the sword and looked up at the sky.

*********************************************

I'm your mind giving you someone to talk to

Hello?

*********************************************

Sesshoumaru straightened his body, standing to his full height. He gave one last look at the child on the ground. `She is merely a human. I, Sesshoumaru, do not care of such a creature's fate.' The words played in his mind trying to ease the pain that he was feeling, yet didn't understand. Again he glanced at his sword, willing it to awaken.

*********************************************

If I smile and don't believe

Soon I know I'll wake from this dream

**********************************************

The demon lord knelt down and lifted the child's broken body from the ground. He gazed at her face for only a second before he stiffened and set his sights straight ahead of him. He did not believe his sword would truly deny his wish. He held Rin tighter to him, ignoring the coldness that was already setting into her body. His Tenseiga would not deny her life. He began to walk slowly away from the field, awaiting the pulse of his sword.

He stopped when he smelled his brother and the humans that he traveled with. They had come for the jewel shard that one of the larger demons had possessed. He turned to see the InuYasha and his comrade's stunned faces, the state of the battle field clearly horrifying to them. Again, Sesshoumaru glanced at the hilt of his sword. "Damn you, Tenseiga." He growled under his breath.

***********************************************

Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken

Hello?

***********************************************

Sesshoumaru stood facing his brother unmoving, not showing any emotion as he held Rin's lifeless body. Slowly, the young priestess stepped towards him. "Oh, Sesshoumaru…" She said with a look of sadness that caused him to bristle.

"I do not need your pity, wench." He snapped at her and pulled Rin's body tighter to him. His eyes narrowed as his gazed moved to each one of them. All of them, even his pathetic half-breed brother, were looking at him with pity.

"Do not presume to attach pathetic human emotions to me. I do not need nor want your pity. This human's death does not affect me." He stated coldly, while again willing his Tenseiga to come to life.

***********************************************

I'm the lie living for you so you can hide

Don't cry

************************************************

Sesshoumaru took to the sky with Rin still in his arms. It took him only moments to return to his castle. The rain was beginning to come down and he covered Rin protectively. How she hated the sound of thunder. The bright flashes of lightening continued around him, making the world appear surreal.

Sesshoumaru's thoughts kept wondering to the small child he held in his arms as he landed gently in the gardens. He gazed at the beautiful flowers that she loved so much. Memories of her running to him with flowers in hand, flowers a demon such as himself didn't want, began to flood his mind.

He sat her down softly in the grass. Surely, being here, in the place she loved so dearly, would wake her. Certainly, his Tenseiga would feel her desire to be here, to run in the gardens and pick flowers. He stood there watching her face, expecting her eyes to open at any moment. Again he looked to his sword. He then glanced at Rin and felt his control snap. Alone, in her garden, he felt tears for the first time.

**********************************************

Suddenly I know I'm not sleeping

Hello?

**********************************************

Sesshoumaru knelt by Rin's body. The reality that he would never again hear her voice or see her smile began to set in. His eyes were beginning to burn from the tears that he had never before experienced. His chest tightened as he lifted her to him. Her scent was so familiar, so comforting. Never before had Sesshoumaru contemplated mortality. His mind couldn't grasp the harsh reality that something he held dear was forever gone.

There, surrounded by the beautiful blossoming flowers, engulfed in the torrent of rain and the brilliant flash of lightening, Sesshoumaru held Rin.

**********************************************

I'm still here, all that's left of yesterday

***********************************************

The sun began to rise, bringing the world to life. The clouds were cleared away and there was promise of a beautiful day. Sesshoumaru still sat in the garden, holding Rin's body. He couldn't leave her alone during the storm. The small human was terrified of the loud rumbling of thunder and the intense flashes of lightening. So many times she had come to him frightened. Always, he sent her to Jaken, not wishing to have such an annoyance himself. Finally, he laid her body near the rose bushes she so adored and stood.

Never again would the Great Lord Sesshoumaru love. Never again would he feel pain and tears for the loss of another being. He gave the small child one last fleeting glance and turned to his castle. Now, he was truly alone...