InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Second Best ❯ Only One Thing ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ms. Higurashi is slightly OOC, but I figure I'm allowed to have a minor character be slightly OOC once in a while. Sorry for all you Ms. Higurashi lovers…
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome cracked open her eyes. Her water-marked ceiling slowly swam into focus. Along ith the face of her mother.
“Kagome? Kagome, are you awake? Oh thank God!” Her mother exclaimed, mopping Kagome's brow with a damp towel.
“Mom?
“Inuyasha brought you back. He said you fainted while on the trail? The doctor already came he said it was just a case of exhaustion. But I was still so worried; I mean even doctors can be wrong…” Her mother fluttered anxiously, patting different parts of Kagome as she spoke, as if to reassure herself that Kagome was really there.
“Can I have some water?' Kagome rasped, becoming aware of how dry her throat was.
“yes, yes, of course.' Her mother handed her a glass.
“I'm terribly sorry, but I have to rush off to work. I'm really horribly sorry to leave you alone right after you woke up, but it just was unavoidable, I have a conference with a very important client and I just couldn't miss it.” Ms. Higurashi wrung her hands.
`It's ok Mom. I'll be fine, I think I'll just sleep some…” Kagome murmured, not really aware of what she was saying.
“Well, if you're sure, I'm terribly sorry darling.” She planted a quick kiss on Kagome's forehead. “I'll be back around 7, there is some broth in the fridge if you want to heat it up later, and I really must leave now. Mummy loves you.”
“Mh.” Kagome sank back into her world of tranquil darkness.
 
When Kagome woke up, the first thing she noticed was how warm her room had become. Her entire body, wrapped in a down comforter, was soaked with sweat. She sat up, and glanced at her bedside clock. It was 6:30. Her mother would be home in an half an hour. To fuss over her more. She doesn't really care. She just thinks that's what a good mother should do. Kagome was too spent to argue. She slowly stood up. The room spun around her, then steadied. Holding onto the wall for support, she made her way down the stairs with one thought in her mind. Get to Inuyasha. Her common sense told her she was being irrational. There was no way she could go down the well in this condition. But Kagome blocked it. She only had days, maybe hours left before she snapped. She couldn't waste it being sick! She glanced at her heavy backpack resting by the front door, and shook her head. She was doubtful that she could make it down the well, never mind carrying a heavy backpack. She opened the door.
The cool evening air of Tokyo swirled around her. She shivered, then stepped barefooted out into the yard, sliding the door closed behind her. Step by painful step, she inched toward the well house. A few yards from the doors, she tripped and fell into the icy mud. She was too tired to even cry out. She was too tired to sleep, too tired to care, too tired to even think. Her mind was swamped with black tar that covered everything except one fact. She had to get to Inuyasha. She had to pretend he loved her, or she'd break right there.
Her dignity was long covered in the sticky black tar of hatred and sorrow. So she crawled through the mud. It soaked through her already damp clothes, staining her t-shirt. She felt her knee bump into something, and looked up. Doors to the well house loomed above her, stretching up to disappear into the dark sky. She pulled open a door, and crawled to the first step. She put her hands on it, but they slipped, and she tumbled down the stairs and cracked her head against the well. She could feel a trickle of warm blood running down her temple. She reached up and grasped the lip of the well. Her feet scrabbled against the ground, and with one final effort she managed to send herself spinning into the depths of time.