InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Steel Destiny ❯ Returnings ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If you're reading this, then you know I don't own Inuyasha.

Chapter 2

Returnings

The cherry blossoms had been in full bloom that day. They fell all around us: Lord Naraku and I. This had been one of the rare days I had actually allowed myself to be dressed as a young lady befitting of my station. The kimono had been golden with a crimson sash and cherry blossom pattern over it all. It had been one of the few I actually liked.

Lord Naraku sat proud and regal, as always, oblivious to all those around him. He did not care that the imperial court found him pompous and conceited. He did not care that the imperial court thought his father, my uncle, was cynical and demented. But, of course, sitting across from me on this hill as he was, why should he care?

Quite suddenly he turned to face me and I was caught completely off guard as his ebony eyes bored deeply into my unbelievably common mahogany ones.

"Kagome," he began eloquently, " the blossoms are very awe inspiring this year, are they not?" His cast off smile took my breath away.

"Oh, yes," I answered quickly as I vainly attempted to hide my blush. "I come to this hill often just to look at them, even if they aren't in full bloom." I returned my gaze to his face slowly. He seemed puzzled.

"Even when they are not in full bloom?" he replied dubiously. "But then, what do you come here for? These trees' only purpose in being is to add beauty to the land. Without their blossoms, they are worthless. What is there to admire but dark, brittle bark?" Now I was puzzled.

"Just beauty? Just vanity?" I asked, consternation covering my brow as I contemplated the words aloud. "How is it that you can only see that? Everything has a purpose, a reason for being, yes…

"But when I look at these trees, I see myself. For months they put all their strength and effort, these dark, brittle pieces of bark as you put it, into creating the tiniest of blossoms. And then, slowly, they open only to shed there beauty upon the world and fall to their deaths.

"It is a shallow being that lives only for fleeting beauty," I finished.

Throughout my lecture, he had listened, silently contemplating my words within himself, but without warning he leaned forward until our faces were nearly touching and spoke, his warm breath cascading down my neck.

"Ah, but, Kagome, that is exactly what I want for you…" And he kissed me.

It was repulsive, oozing with desire, passion, lust, and vulgarity, but there was nothing I could do against him. I had been so young. Just newly twelve. He had been eighteen.

And those beautiful cherry blossoms, those awe inspiring cherry blossoms, continued falling regardless as a single tear rolled down my cheek.

-

Kagome woke with a start as the dawning sun washed over her. She quickly put a hand to her face. Why had these nightmares of her past suddenly returned?

-

"Lord Inuyasha, it is a pleasure to see you once more," greeted none other than Myouga. The stout retainer languished casually before his lord as he took measure of how much he had changed.

Lord Inuyasha much resembled the rambunctious seventeen year-old, red-clad commoner, warrior lord he had left behind five years ago, but something was different. He seemed perhaps more subdued, more attuned to that around him. What could have brought such a welcome change in him?

(AU: The reason Myouga calls Inuyasha a "red-clad commoner" is because in the Hiean era, public station could be distinguished by color. The color red was associated with the fourth rank, a soldier's rank. However, Inuyasha is an exception due to his station as a Head of Guard of sorts, and because of his lineage. As a Minamoto, he is related to the emperor. As such, he would either rank as a high third rank, but most probably second rank. He should wear blue associated colors. Ironically, Sesshoumaru does, along with the emperor's gold and chrysanthemums….)

"Really…" Inuyasha began. A wry smirk began at the corners of his lips. "So, Myouga, where have been for five years? Your wife has been going nearly insane over you." Myouga's easy demeanor quickly evaporated. He had come to conclusions far too quickly…

"Why, Lord Inuyasha, did Jaken not tell you I had gone north to settle some final affairs of your father?" Myouga inquired with false calm. "As for Tsubaki, she is more of a besotted mistress than an actual wife…" Inuyasha cocked an eyebrow in disbelief. "But tell me, Lord Inuyasha, what has progressed here in the capitol since last I was here? I have heard that a new member was inducted into the Four Samurai a few years ago…" Inuyasha smiled gently.

"That would be Kagome, the daughter of our old ally, Higurashi Hiyotomi. After you left five years ago, her uncle, Higurashi Asano, tried to take the hereditary lands of the Higurashi, the hills of Asuragi. He nearly accomplished it, but we were swift in arriving. Unfortunately, only Kagome was saved. Her father, mother, and younger brother were all killed. Sesshoumaru and I decided it was our duties since our families had always been close, to take her in. Since she was a great fighter, she was later inducted into the Defense Ministry and the Four Samurai. You may have heard of her, actually. Back in Asuragi she was the hero and scourge: Unmei Suchiro." Inuyasha grinned broadly at his retainer's reaction. He was shocked.

"The Unmei Suchiro?" He asked astonished. "Of course, I'd heard of the stories, but I never thought he- I mean, she- would be the daughter of Lord Higurashi, himself." He sighed lightly as he changed topic.

"You are aware that tomorrow is the Gion Festival?" Inuyasha nodded. "Then you will know that Lord Michinagi and Michizane, old and sickly as they are, have requested the presence of the Four Samurai. As Captain, this is something for you to concern yourself with."

"Of course," Inuyasha agreed simply. "All four of us will be there: Sesshoumaru, Kouga, Kagome, and I. And Miroku will probably find an excuse to come along, too."

"You know, there was a time when I expected him to become one of the Four…." Myouga said ponderously.

"Why's that?" Inuyasha exclaimed incredulously. "Who needs to be an honorable warrior to get women, when you have a "Buddha's face" and can get so many more women as a lecherous priest giving "confessions"…."

-

Hope you liked it. I thought I'd finish on a brighter note than last time. Hopefully, I clarified a lot of the blurs in chapter 1. And, YES, I am fully aware the characters seem precariously OC. Please forgive me, but remember two things: 1- This is Hiean Japan, a completely different era, and 2- I would have them like they should be, but then it might not flow right if I had everyone exactly as their character should be. I'm trying to make them less OC, okay, so cut me some slack. Well, please review.