InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Eight-Fold Path ❯ Uncertainty ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Uncertainty
 
The moment he saw that forced smile, he knew his luck wasn't about to turn around.
 
After sending the curious children, minus Haruo, back to Kagome and InuYasha's hut, Miroku jumped into the tale of what he knew and what he had only guessed.
 
She began fussing over the shy boy, commenting on the lingering bruises and serving him up some dinner, bemoaning how he was “simply flesh and bones.” Miroku breathed a soft sigh of relief; he had feared, he admitted mentally, that she would shove the boy out. But Sango was a mother, first and foremost, and would never leave a child wanting.
 
He studied her face as he fell silent; his chest felt tight as he realized… there was nothing to see.
 
Miroku could have handled Sango's anger; he'd felt it many times. He could have dealt with tears, too, though each one would rip through his heart.
 
Hell, he would have happily accepted her feelings of betrayal, unfounded as they were, if it meant she was talking to him.
 
But her eyes were empty. They recalled a time years ago, when she'd faced her brother, in the grip of Naraku's plans, and once again lost him. It was as though she didn't know what to think, or how to feel, and so had decided to forgo emotions and thoughts.
 
This time, though, she wouldn't even look at him.
 
Miroku's heart stuttered. He had feared losing his wife; but more importantly… had he lost his best friend?
 
 
---
“The Eight-Fold Path” is a serialized fic, written based on prompts from the mirsan_fics community on LiveJournal.
“Uncertainty” was originally posted April 19, 2009
Word Count: 250
Prompt: “Friendship”