InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Eight-Fold Path ❯ A Different View ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Different View
 
Sango sat in a patch of moonlight by the waterfall, glaring at it as though she could will the water to stop.  But after a moment, her frame sagged; as though he weight of her heavy feelings had defeated her.
 
He wondered what she was thinking… and for the first time since they'd married, he wondered if she would tell him if he asked.
 
Hanging his head and deciding if she didn't tell him it was his fault anyway, he finally worked up the courage to go sit next to her.  They sat in silence for what felt like months - years - eons… until Miroku finally capitulated.
 
“I'm sorry, San-”
 
“No.”  She held up a hand and his eyes met hers.  “No.  Don't apologize to me when you don't even know why.”
 
Miroku cocked his head, silently asking her to explain.
 
“It is not Haruo's fault that his mother died.  It is not your fault… or your father's… that yours died, either.  The fault is Naraku's.”
 
Miroku nodded, but his reluctance to believe his amazing wife must have shown on his face.  Her eyes hardened and she shook her head.  “If you believe it was your fault… if you blame that beautiful, innocent child… then you've been lying to me all along.”  Miroku's eyes widened in confusion.
 
Tears sprung to her eyes as she continued, “If it was Haruo's fault… then it was Kohaku's fault he killed father and the others.  It was nothing anybody could control.  It's the same thing.”
---
“The Eight-Fold Path” is a serialized fic, written based on prompts from the mirsan_fics community on LiveJournal.
“A Different View” was originally posted June 16, 2009
Word Count: 250
Prompt: “Father”