InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Eight-Fold Path ❯ Closer To Home... ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Closer To Home…
 
The sounds of tears, of shouting - of generally unhappy children drew Miroku from his ongoing funk. He stifled a curse as he realized the cries were coming from the direction of the field where his daughters often played under Shippou's careful watch.
 
Miroku had just gotten to his feet when the girls raced through the trees; one in tears… and the other with her face set remarkably like her mother's at her most dangerous. The two rushed inside to where Sango sat.
 
The girls safe, Miroku turned to search for Haruo. He didn't have far to look. Just down the path, the child leaned against a pair of red-clad legs, tears dripping down his cheeks.
 
With a look of thanks to InuYasha, Miroku hugged Haruo close. “What happened?” he questioned.
 
“They don' like me,” Haruo mumbled. “They said,” he sniffled, “'m not fambly.”
 
Miroku sighed and rubbed his son's back lightly, trying to figure out what to say. He was so deep in thought he almost missed Haruo's muffled admission, “Wanna real fambly…”
 
“I know, Haruo… and we're your family now. We love you.”
 
Later that night, it was obvious the girls were still upset with their half-brother.
 
“I did the same to Kohaku when we were young. They're just jealous,” Sango explained quietly. “After all, we left them with Kaede and Rin and took Haruo to visit Mushin.”
 
Miroku grew silent, wondering when he had begun overlooking such details… and felt a new wave of guilt wash over him.
 
---
“The Eight-Fold Path” is a serialized fic, written based on prompts from the mirsan_fics community on LiveJournal.
“Closer To Home…” was originally posted April 2, 2009
Word Count: 250
Prompt: “Jealousy”
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha or any other characters from the anime/manga. They all belong to Rumiko Takahashi. I just play with them