InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Eight-Fold Path ❯ Face The Future ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Face The Future
 
“I can't do this anymore.”
 
With five words, Sango knocked down all the walls between her and her silent husband.
 
“And I can't do this without you.”
 
Miroku blinked. `Do what?' The family remained isolated at Mushin's temple. Because of donations, they wanted for nothing; he pointed this out to her with no small amount of trepidation.
 
“But we do need something,” she responded matter-of-factly, a hint of steel in her voice Miroku hadn't heard since the days of hunting Naraku… and Kohaku. “I want revenge.”
 
Miroku's eyes widened and he was quite certain his mouth had fallen open. He couldn't lie and say he hadn't entertained similar thoughts… but to act on them?
 
It was obvious Sango had seen the reluctance in his eyes - but it wasn't enough to sway her.
 
“I want my life back - and I can't get that without knowing they won't come back for us later. I won't be ashamed of associating with our friends… and I won't be cowed into pretending I am.”
 
Miroku could not argue; he just wasn't sure if this was the right path. `The path to the end of suffering is self-improvement. Revenge is not the way…'
 
But thoughts of the murderous bastards writhing in pain burned away some of his sorrow… and the freedom from that pain was a weight from his shoulders.
 
Mushin's lessons began a slow, twisting dance of corruption.
 
`The third truth… suffering can be overcome by removing the cause. And the cause… those brutal thugs…'
 
---
"The Eight-Fold Path" is a serialized fic, written based on prompts from the mirsan_fics community on LiveJournal.
 
"Unwelcome Surprises" was originally posted March 1, 2010
 
Word Count: 250
 
Prompt: "Sign"