InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul Within ❯ To Escape ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hi everybody! Welcome to my newest story! Yes, some of you are probably thinking `What happened to Forever Yours?' Well, it's completely finished! I just posted the epilogue a few minutes ago. I wrote this chapter a little while ago and it's time to finally post it! I hope you enjoy this story! Beauty and the Beast inspired it but I plan to make it much different than that. Please Review!
 
Summary: Unable to accept the destiny her father has chosen for her, Kagome runs away from the life she has always known, into a mystery involving time, magic and an angry youkai. [InuKag]
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the Inuyasha characters; they belong to the great Rumiko Takahashi. However, I do own the story and all of the original characters that may appear in it. This disclaimer applies to all chapters.
 
**********
 
The Soul Within
Chapter One
 
“That's it, Kagome. That's it!” exclaimed Kaede in delight. “Absolutely wonderful. Now relax your energy.”
 
The seventeen-year-old exhaled slowly, focusing on dismantling the barrier that she had created. It slowly faded from sight.
 
“Ye have been getting much better,” Kaede said proudly, handing her some water. “Take a break.”
 
Kagome gratefully accepted the offering. She knelt down, tipped her head back and allowed the cool liquid to soothe her parched throat.
 
It was a beautiful summer day in late June. Kagome, a young miko-in-training, was giving some practice to using her powers to make barriers in a grassy meadow outside her tiny village. Kaede, her mentor, was helping her.
 
“It will not be long before ye surpass me,” Kaede said, shaking her head in amazement.
 
Kagome blushed at the compliment. “No way, Kaede. There is no way I can be better than you…you're the village miko!”
 
“And ye are the apprentice of the village miko,” Kaede said with a smile. “Ye have more power within ye, than I. Ye just need to remember to relax when ye are making barriers. Ye try too hard and use up needless energy.”
 
Kagome nodded. “I don't plan to stop practicing any time soon,” she said, taking another gulp of water.
 
Kaede beamed at her student in pride.
 
Kagome looked at her mentor and stood up. “Can we do some archery now?” she asked.
 
“I think we should wrap up our training session for today,” Kaede said. When Kagome protested, Kaede said, “I want to talk to ye for a bit…and give ye something.”
 
Interested, Kagome sat back down.
 
“Your birthday is in three days, aye?” she asked.
 
Kagome raised her eyebrows in surprise. “Yes it is. How did you know?”
 
Kaede chuckled. “This old woman is sharper than ye might think, child. I was going to give ye your present on your actual birthday…but since ye are doing so well in your training, I want to give it to ye early.”
 
“Oh Kaede, you didn't have to get me anything-”
 
Kaede waved her hand dismissively. “Nonsense. Come with me to my home.”
 
The two miko stood up and started to walk. On their way back to the village, Kagome could hear birds chirping, adults talking excitedly and children laughing happily.
 
Three days…that's all the time I have left to just be me.
 
Kaede opened the door to her hut. “After ye, Kagome.”
 
Kagome stepped inside the cozy hut. There was a tiny bed in the corner, a small chest in which Kaede kept some items and some miko weapons at the far side of the room. Kaede didn't own much, but she said that she had everything she needed.
 
Kagome had agreed. She loved Kaede's home and her company; she spent more time there then she did anywhere else.
 
Kaede walked over to the corner of the room. She picked up a bow and a pouch of arrows and set the bow in Kagome's hands. “Take a look.”
 
Kagome trained her eyes down onto the bow. It was…perfect. Sleek and polished, powerful and well made. Her hand gripped the bow and she felt like it was made for her. “It's beautiful, Kaede.”
 
“Aye, it is. And it is all yours.” Kagome looked up in surprise. “I requested Shiro to make it for me to give to ye for your birthday.”
 
Shiro was Kaede's 30-year old neighbour. Kaede had once saved his daughter from a terrible sickness and since then, Shiro was always happy to help Kaede with anything she needed.
 
“The pouch of arrows is yours too,” Kaede added, handing it to her.
 
Kagome eyes shone brightly. “Thank you, Kaede. At least something good came out of my birthday.”
 
Kaede looked confused for a moment before realization dawned on her. “Aye…that is the day ye will be married, is it not?”
 
Kagome looked away. She nodded slowly. “My father decided that he will marry me off to Naraku on my eighteenth birthday,” she said emotionlessly.
 
Kaede saw right through it. “Ye do not want to marry young Naraku, do you?”
 
Kagome slowly shook her head. “When I was little, my mother would tell me stories about a princess who would get lost in a forest and get attacked by a youkai. Then, out of nowhere, a handsome prince would save her and they would live happily ever after…she always described such strong feelings of love…” Kagome trailed off.
 
Kaede gazed at her apprentice sadly. “Naraku is not your prince is he?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “Many years ago, Naraku's father, Takumi, saved my father from a deadly youkai…my father was so grateful that he told Takumi that he would give me to his son when I turned eighteen.” As calm as she was trying to be, Kagome clenched her fists in anger.
 
“Kagome, what do ye think of Naraku?”
 
Kagome's eyes narrowed. “He's the exact opposite of the one I have always dreamed of! He's arrogant, spoiled and he treats me like a trophy! The few times that our fathers have arranged for us to get together, he would just show me off to the village men,” she said in disgust.
 
Kaede chuckled. “The curses of being the most beautiful woman in the village.”
 
Kagome blushed. “I'm not that special. Why couldn't he have married someone else!” she suddenly exclaimed in frustration. “Practically the whole female population of our village wants to marry him! And yet, I'm the one who gets stuck with him!”
 
“Kagome, I love ye like a daughter or granddaughter, I do not want ye to be unhappy.”
 
Kagome laughed bitterly. “I'll be perfectly happy until the day my birthday rolls around.”
 
Kaede sighed sadly. “Ye deserve so much better, Kagome. Even though ye don't think so, ye are very special and ye deserve someone that will love ye unconditionally.”
 
Tears stung the back of Kagome's eyes. “Believe me…that's all I want,” she whispered.
 
“Why don't ye leave the village, Kagome?”
 
Shocked, Kagome looked up. “What?”
 
“I hate to suggest it, but I really don't want ye to spend the rest of your life chained to a man that ye don't love, who will use ye only as a way to bear him children.”
 
Kagome made a face. “Ew. Another disgusting thought. Me? Bear Naraku children?”
 
Kaede nodded. “However, there is another village about five or so miles away. They are in desperate need of a village miko. I think ye are strong enough to be that miko. Ye can start fresh. There is no reason for ye to stay here.”
 
“Yes there is!” Kagome exclaimed. “I have you! I have…” Kagome stopped to think. She sort of had her father but he barely even looked at her since her mother had died, eight years previously. She didn't really have any friends either. “Yeah…I have you,” Kagome said lamely.
 
Kaede chuckled. “And ye will always have me. But for now, I want ye to do what is best for ye. Do ye really want to stay here…tied to a man ye don't love, just for the sake of me?”
 
Kagome got quiet.
 
A brand new life. Away from Naraku…it's too good to pass up! For once in my life, I am going to do what's right for me!
 
Kagome locked eyes with her teacher. “What do I have to do?”
 
Kaede smiled at her. “Pack a few kimonos, weapons, personal items…anything ye really need. Then, meet me here when the moon has risen.”
 
Kagome nodded.
 
**********
It was dark. Kagome had a small pack of items and was making her way to the elder miko's home. The tiny hut came into view and Kagome could see Kaede waiting for her.
 
“Ye all ready?”
 
Kagome nodded. She came this far and she was not going to turn back now!
 
“I have a horse for ye to travel on and a map to the village.” Kagome smiled her thanks. “And…don't forget this.”
 
The older miko handed Kagome her new bow and arrows. Seeing her new present, the tears that Kagome had been trying so hard to hold back erupted with the force of a waterfall. She hugged Kaede tightly. “I'm going to miss you so much,” she whispered.
 
Kaede smiled. “I will miss ye too, but we will see each other again. I am happy that ye are getting a chance to run your own life.”
 
Kagome nodded with a tiny smile. Swiftly, she got on top of her horse and took one last look at her village, her home and the miko giving her an encouraging smile.
 
“Kaede…thank you,” she whispered. With that, she urged the horse forward and rode off into the moonlight.