InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ This Simple Life ❯ When Things Go Wrong ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Simple Life
By: Keito-chan

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Sesshoumaru has things to say concerning this wedding! And just when Kagome thought that it was the last she would have to deal with the Sukidos - think again! They would be becoming apart of her life whether she likes it or not!

Chapter Two: When Things Go Wrong

He had doubted his younger half-brother’s intelligence, but he had given him greater standards than he deserved - it was obvious now that the half-blood was completely inane. To pick a random woman of the lower class?! If he had been a lesser being than he was he would have cringed. It was obvious why this woman clung repulsively to him - money, fame, fortune, everything an average wench holds dear. Certainly Inuyasha’s woman was the same. They all were.

Oh, yes, the splendid news had flown in like a bird with a broken wing one Sunday morning over breakfast. Of course they all had known that Inuyasha was romantically involved with a woman, but Sesshoumaru had thought it a fleeting thing - his brother was always fickle, it wouldn’t have surprised him if the woman was just some pretty piece of flesh to occupy time. Only if he had known, the relationship would have ended before it had to a chance to develop into something so serious, so repulsive.

Inuyasha had announced the news - and Sesshoumaru had been surprised that he had finally decided to grow up. Sesshoumaru’s father and his father’s wife had been overcome with joy - so much that Sesshoumaru found himself excusing himself from the table to head off to work early. Little had they known who the girl had been. The way Inuyasha had described her was that her family owned a prestigious catering company and that she was very beautiful (although Sesshoumaru did find it odd that the name ‘Higurashi’s Catering’ wasn’t familiar.) Other than that nothing was said about the matter and nothing was questioned. Of course Sesshoumaru had cared very little for his half-brother’s interests or girlfriends - God knows there had been plenty. The bills could prove that.

But, alas, the time had come to meet the family, and that was when Inuyasha had decided to come clean. When the truth was out, naked and shivering in front of their eyes, Sesshoumaru had acted on pure instinct. He had bitterly told Inuyasha what women like them wanted, he spared no feeling or emotion with his words, they were like blunt knives thrown only for the purpose of hitting a mark. Sesshoumaru had definitely hit his mark and a few nerves along with it. If you think it was pity that had spurred
Sesshoumaru to tell his brother the ways of a female’s perfidious behavior, you are mistaken. The mere thought of this being announced to the press - the already bothersome reporters, the rumors; all of which he would eventually have to deal with, grated upon his nerves. The shame of a simple commoner and the rest of her wheedling relatives to come into their unpolluted and sophisticated life was like a stain on a once beautiful piece of silk - tainting and no longer worth a cent.

And then came the dinner party - where they had to host these barbaric soon-to-be-relatives. Sesshoumaru had considered the possibility of missing the party with the excuse of being tied up at work - if he had been a less significant individual. But as it was he was a celebrity and vice president to one of the top companies in the world, duty called to him. He had arrived late, however, and when he had entered the dinning room his eyes had rested on the woman who had forever fated the Sukidos with that ignominy that bit at his heels wherever he went.

He’d give it that she was beautiful, but beauty was all that he gave her. Her laughter polluted the air, her scent contaminated the food, and her loving glances at his repulsive half-brother burned his eyes. When he had seated himself he had allowed a better look at the rest of the family. The oldest woman was the mother, it was obvious. Her hair was fashionably short and she always seemed ready to smile - a habit that irritated him and brought about a certain weakness to a person in his opinion. Then there was what looked like another sister - slightly older that his brother’s fiancé. She was beautiful also, but the way she looked at him in that captivating manner nearly made him growl. Did she even think she stood a chance? Did she think that just because of his half-brother’s mistake that he would welcome them just as dearly? Oh, no, no, no. Poor creatures, he almost pitied them - almost. His hatred leveled higher.

Then there was the boy. He wasn’t worth the bother - obviously the look on his face was pure boredom and the way he played with his food, savage. Aside from that Sesshoumaru almost found himself agreeing with him. The whole evening was tedious and extremely lowering. The grandfather was like any other old man, Sesshoumaru barely spent a second contemplating him.

And then there was her. The youngest looking one out of the sisters. She had long raven hair and the bluest most unusual eyes you had ever seen in their kind. She sat there with a sort of fury electrifying her face, starting from her sapphire blue eyes and rippling through the rest of her body. Sesshoumaru could almost taste her hate and resentment and he was surprised. He found himself slightly perplexed in not finding her in the ecstatic attitude the rest of her family (other than her brother) seemed to swim in. Every woman dreamed of being near him - marrying him - being a part of his life, family, in any way, shape, or form - and now this girl was, but it was more of an irate sense of feeling he acquired from her than a sense of profound joy. She seemed to be disgusted and would occasionally fidget with her napkin or toss her unruly hair over her shoulder. It seemed she sometimes tried to pay attention to the conversation around her, but soon lost interest. He found her fretful behavior an aggravation, but strangely couldn’t forget her existence as easily as he had the others. And he had somehow come to notice that her attire was rather plain than compared to the rest of her family’s. She wore a white blouse with a black skirt and a simple pair of black dress shoes. It seemed she tried her best to dress as to just get by not being called casual. She certainly had not out done herself just to impress them.

As for himself, he had dressed in his least favorite silk tie and the least expensive of his Armani suites - failing to look unattractive. But that was, and always would be, an impossible feat.

When the family of shame had turned their pitiless attentions to him, he found himself being bombarded with questions, which he supposed they thought he would answer. Ignoring them had seemed the way to go, but it was always damn duty that compelled him to act at least on some type of lesser formalities. Eventually they had left him to himself and his own devices and musings, obviously a little more than displeased in the answers he supplied.

The rest of the night had gone rather smoothly, and then it had ended. When they had left, Sesshoumaru’s family had met in the living room for brandy and to talk about the evening’s happenings.

Sesshoumaru had said that they were simply vile and not worth the time of day. He voiced his concerns about their greed for money and power - but these were pushed aside, surprisingly, when his family had said ‘pish-posh’ and how absurd his reasonings were. That Kikyo (Sesshoumaru had dimly registered that that was the woman’s name) was an exquisite girl and quite charming to say the least. And even though, they had concluded, that the family wasn’t a multimillion dollar corporation, they were decent and well bred.

Sesshoumaru had been expecting the eventual betrayal from his father’s wife and Inuyasha’s mother, but his own father - it only strengthened his conclusions about the brutality and infidelity of the opposite sex. But here they were practically accepting this foul event in which the Sukido name would be forever associated with the common people.

Sesshoumaru had scoffed at them and told them their idiotic thoughts were only the beginning to a path of utter destruction, about how their money would be swindled down the drain - Divided amongst these blood thirsty witches for their own imperative needs. He hadn’t failed to notice that more than half of this woman’s family was female, which only fortified his contempt for the family. How could anyone turn out normal with such a horrendous influence? Male dominance was something he believed in strongly.

Women had always been a migraine inflicting cause. In his many experiences with the opposite sex he had come to the inference that they were emotional, materialistic, flowery, and, most of all, pestering and burdensome to mankind. A pregnant woman was the worst. Not to mention the girth that traveled her everywhere making people clear out of the way - while she decided to walk right down the middle of the street. That experience had not been pleasant.

Yes, so as you can see, this Sesshoumaru Sukido found women to be the most dreadful creatures on earth.

Sesshoumaru gripped the steering wheel tighter as his thoughts wandered from the present to the past last six months - and the past six months’ bills for that matter. Ridiculous, had crossed his mind at how much his appalling brother could spend on this woman.

And now his family was actually going to invite them to their country club for tea and a game of golf! He wouldn’t have it, but his father had told him that he would be expected to attend, being one of the Best Men for the wedding and the only other brother that Inuyasha had. He knew better than to argue with his employer and father, so instead he had gotten into his silver BMW sports car and was road-rage driving - it always helped to clear his mind. The wind whipped furiously at his face and hair, which billowed behind him and he smirked silently to himself.

It was time to take this little wedding into his own hands once and for all.

.-.-.-.

“You will be watching Rin and Souta, Kagome! Now not another word!”

Kagome huffed indignantly. She was 19 for crying out loud - going on twenty! She wasn’t some 16 year old with nothing better to do than baby-sit a bunch of kids at a snobby country club. Okay, so golf wasn’t that much of an alternative, but at least it would be more interesting and less tiring than watching a constantly sugar high cousin and her brother - and speaking of him, he was 15! He could handle himself along with Rin!

“Mom, listen, Souta is old enough to do it - make him watch Rin! And I’m sure he can watch himself.”

Rin had come up from California in the United States with her mother (Kagome’s aunt) who had been divorced more than the fingers on both her hands combined. She was the first to know about the engagement with Inuyasha and Kikyo - go figure. Kagome felt bad for Rin. Because of her mother’s living-it-large life style the girl was practically ignored, and so very shy. Rin was a sweetheart and not a bother to watch…but Kagome was feeling as though her mother still thought of her as a high school teenager than the adult she obviously was. Actually, she felt everyone treating her as such.

“Oh, and by the way…” Kagome’s mother continued, “Rin will be dropped off soon along with Aunt Susumi. We’ll be heading over to the country club right when they get here, so it will only be you and Rin in the house, Souta doesn’t get back from karate until 12, and we have to be at the golf course at 10.”

“So…?” Kagome grumbled leaning against the kitchen counter. Knowing it was something she wasn’t going to want to do.

“So, you will have to drive Rin and Souta to the country club pool - I’ll leave you directions to Sukido Country Club right here.” Her mother patted the counter as she continued to clean up the kitchen from the early breakfast.

Kagome groaned - they owned a country club too?! She wouldn’t be surprised if they owned their neighborhood along with it.

“Mommmm!” Kagome whined as she let her head drop to the table, “You’re killing me! I have a anatomy test tomorrow!”

Mrs. Higurashi stopped what she was doing and turned to face her daughter with an irritated sigh, “Kagome, how old are you now?”

“Old enough to not baby-sit some --!!” Kagome started angrily only to be cut off.

“OLD ENOUGH to learn how to plan your time better! Honestly! You can study and watch the kids, how hard is that?” Mrs. Higurashi turned back to her work while Kagome stomped from the room.

She was sick of it! What was this? Was she now the unpaid ugly step-sister or something? Everything was fine before this engagement, but now she was being treated as a personal servant! Well, she wasn’t! She was a college student being treated like a bum with nothing better to do than cater around a bunch of kids and plan a fancy, overdone wedding.

Kagome stepped into the shower and let the water pour over her. Sure, dump the work on good ole’ reliable Kagome, she thought sarcastically. Okay, maybe she should be at least a little more happy about Kikyo’s wedding and ‘good fortune’ of being engaged to Inuyasha Sukido (If that’s what you wanted to call it.) But they made it increasingly hard to even enjoy the small things about the event when they did things like - things like dumping the kids on her while they went out to socialize and relax!

Kagome scrubbed at her hair as she caught the sound of the doorbell ringing and the overly sweet sing-song voice of Aunt Susumi, “I’m here!”

Ah, yes, and then there was Aunt Susumi she had to deal with. Her aunt was a sweet person…but her personality was definitely obnoxious after a while. Materialistic should have been her birth name. She loved fashion, make-up, men, and - of course - anything at all related to the glitzy part of life. Her mother had told her that much, and that was basically why she was living in California trying to land small parts in soaps.

Thinking about it, Aunt Susumi was perfect for those types of people and that type of life. But, was Rin? Rin was the total opposite of her mother - innocent, sweet, quiet, loving, and shy. Definitely shy. It had taken up until recently for the 6 year old to even talk to Kagome!

Kagome heard the adults chattering and laughing about something or other while she finished up with her shower and stepped out. She quickly dried herself and didn’t bother with blow drying her hair as she threw on some jean shorts and a white tank.

Kagome left the haven of her room to greet the hellish fate of reality as she slipped down the steps to the front foyer of the house to smile warmly at her aunt and little cousin.

“Hello!” Kagome piped cheerfully as Rin’s face visibly brightened and she ran forward and buried her face in Kagome’s knees with a tight hug. Kagome laughed.

“Well, hello there, Rin! How are you?” Kagome asked as she picked up the little girl and rested her on her hip. Rin just smiled and pointed to her teeth. Kagome noticed one pearly tooth to be missing in her cousin’s smile.

“Oh! Rin - that’s wonderful! Did the tooth fairy leave something special?” Rin beamed even wider and nodded her head.

Kagome smiled, her anger dissipating at the mere sight of her cute cousin. Maybe she had been overreacting about babysitting this adorable little girl. It didn’t seem that bad after all - and thinking about it she definitely preferred the company of her brother and Rin than that of the Sukidos or the rest of her fawning family. Maybe the distance would do some good to calm her nerves? Who knew.

Kagome lifted her head to smile at her aunt, “Hello, Aunt Susumi. How are you?”

Her aunt flicked her eyes to Kagome and she smiled, “Oh! Absolutely lovely, darling! Now where’s that lucky sister of yours? We have SO much to talk about! I mean - it’s not just anyone who captures the heart of one of those knock-out brothers! Now trust me if I was younger…” Aunt Susumi let her sentence trail off with a girlish giggle, “Well…I think you understand.”

Kagome’s mother sighed and laughed, “Susumi! You’re still the same as ever!”

Unfortunately… Kagome finished in her head as she turned at the sound of feet on the stairs.

Kikyo was skipping down the steps in a pastel pink tennis shirt with a white skirt and a pair of white tennis shoes, finished off with a white visor and a pair of expensive looking sunglasses. The overall effect of looking country club material. Midoriko followed behind dressed in plain tan slacks and a white thick strapped tank-top.

“So there’s the girl who the whole world’s talking about!” Aunt Susumi cried as Kikyo smiled.

“Aunt Susumi!” Kikyo squealed as she rushed to hug her.

Aunt Susumi smiled and greeted Midoriko in a similar fashion and jested about her catching the eye of the elder brother of the Sukido family, Sesshoumaru - and how perfect it would be to have a double wedding! Kagome had had enough by then and decided to leave the four women to their gossiping and cooing over the Sukido brothers - none of which she wanted to have part in.

Kagome heard the phone ringing, so shifting Rin in her arms, she headed towards the kitchen and picked up the receiver.

“Higurashi residence, whom may I ask is calling?” Kagome had always been told to answer like this since forever. They never knew when a customer would be calling.

“Hi, is Kikyo there?” Kagome frowned. How rude! Not even giving his name - even thought she knew it was Inuyasha. Kagome grumbled a ‘one minute, please’ as she left to go get her sister.

“Kikyo!” Kagome called, “Inu-chan is on the phone for you!” Kagome emphasized ‘Inu-chan’ with an overly sweet voice. The four women ceased their giggling as Kikyo’s cheeks flared red and she rushed to get the phone.

Kagome watched as the women’s eyes darted amongst each other with secret knowing glances. Ugh, this is unbearable! Kagome thought before turning towards the kitchen once again when she heard Kikyo giggle, “Oh Inu!”

Kagome glanced at the clock and noticed it was 9:45. She sighed and yelled from the kitchen.
“Might want to get moving! It’s 9:45 right now!” She listened as she heard startled gasps and a quick - ‘See you soon Inu-sweetie’ before the initial slam of the front door.

Kagome sighed as she settled Rin in a high chair (which they stored in the kitchen for so such occasions) and made a funny face by crossing her eyes and sticking out her tongue. Rin giggled and propped her heart-shaped face on her hands and asked with a sigh.

“Are grown-ups always so funny?” Kagome stifled a chuckle as she poked Rin’s nose and answered in a whispered voice, like a secret that nobody else was to hear.

“Boys.” Kagome said, shaking her head sorrowfully, “They do stuff to ya.”

.-.-.-.

“You’ve GOT to be KIDDING me!” Souta screamed from the top of the stairs still decked out in his karate gi and duffle bag flung over his shoulder.

Kagome stamped her foot - it had been like this for the last 15 minutes since Souta had gotten home and she told him the news.

“SOUTA! Please!” Kagome yelled in a tone somewhat softened by desperation, while clamping her hands together in a pleading manner. “I don’t want to go either, but if we don’t show - we’ll be in some big trouble with four love-struck women - and trust me it won’t be pretty.”

Souta rolled his eyes and let the duffle fall off his shoulder.

“Fine! BUT you owe me!” He stamped off to his room while dragging his bag across the floor.

Kagome scowled. Owed him? No. Definitely not. But she just let it slide - he was listening to her anyway - what was the point of aggravating it?

“Rin!” Kagome called as the little girl poked her head out from behind the kitchen door.

“Kagome-chan?” She mumbled whipping the cookie crumbs from her face.

Kagome walked over to the little girl and placed her hands on her shoulders, lowering herself to the little child’s level. “How would you like to go swimming?”

“YAY!” Rin danced around the kitchen until finally coming to a bouncing stop at her little pink bag resting against the wall.

“I have two new swimsuits to wear!” She stressed this by holding up two of her little fingers.

“Really?” Kagome asked amused. “The sooner we get you cleaned up the faster we can go!”

Rin nodded her head excitedly as she bounced from foot to foot.

“M’kay!”

Kagome straightened herself as she watched Rin jog off to the bathroom. Souta better hurry up! She thought nervously glancing at the microwave clock - 12:25 - They should be there by now! The Sukidos had arranged tea and lunch on the terrace at 1:30!

Kagome waited until Rin got back from the bathroom before grabbing her car keys and Rin’s bag while shouting, “We’ll be in the car Souta - and HURRY!”

Rin tugged on Kagome’s shorts and whispered, “Boys.” With a similar shake of her head Kagome had done earlier.

Kagome smiled and patted Rin’s head, “You’re learning.”

.-.-.-.

“Soooo how’s the company going along Sesshou-kun?”

He had had enough. This Aunt Susumi was quite the example of the most frightful female yet. How many times had he told her Sesshoumaru?

“Fine.” He answered with a perfected emotionless tone. The nickname wasn’t working for him. Something distracted the female as she turned to the sound of Kikyo’s laughter. It seemed his half-brother and his wench were clinging to each other and whispering into each others ear - God only knows what.

Altogether it had made a rather repugnant sight.

“Aren’t they adorable!?” The woman standing next to him swooned.

Abhorable, preferably. He thought to himself and then wondered if that was even a word - and if not - it should be.

She turned to him fully then and glanced shyly up at him through her long lashes. What was this deceitful creature planning?

“You know it gets so lonely being a single mother and all! I just worry for my Rin! Without the influence of a…” The woman sniffled a few tears before continuing, “Strong, wonderful father…I just wish that maybe I could find the right man to support us…” She had trailed off.

Disgust - pure and utter distaste for the woman next to him. Oh why did she have to be his golfing compatriot?

“That’s truly a shame.” Sesshoumaru offered, trying to keep the sarcastic edge of his voice from cutting in. The fact that the woman had practically thrown herself on him was so shamelessly revolting - and desperate. And he had learned that a desperate woman was the most dangerous one of all (aside from the pregnant ones.)

He walked forward to take his turn when her hand reached out and grabbed his upper arm - quite tightly.

“Oh! Don’t feel pity for me! Please! I’m sorry to press you with all my worries - it just gets so diff-” He cut her off as he jerked his arm away from her offending hand.

It had been over the limit when she had even dared to venture forth a conversation with him, but it had been completely unacceptable when she had touched him. He turned to her fully then and in a tone of uncaring laced with a well contained rage he bit out, “I pity the man who mistakenly took you as his wife and I pity the ears of the people who have to survive your presence - I most definitely do not pity you.”

With that he took his put.

He felt the startled stares of the people around him and conveniently ignored them. He would show up - play the part of brother to Inuyasha, but he wouldn’t enjoy it and neither would he endure the treatment of such as he had.

He turned back towards the woman and flipped his long silver strands from his face.

She stood there, as if shocked that a man would dare to reject her. Her eyes were exceptionally wide, her mouth slightly open, and her hand still poised in the air where his arm had been. Altogether the sight was incredibly humorous to the elder Sukido brother. Her alarm and mortification lifted his spirits significantly and as he tossed his putting iron to the caddy standing at attention near their cart he said, quite coldly, “Your turn.”

Her shocked expression quickly faded and she snapped her eyes back to his face with a look of absolute fury she huffed indignantly and fumbled to get her iron while muttering something along the lines of, “Well - I’d never!” and “How rude!”

Rude? No. If the truth was offensive or distasteful, then so be it. Learn to deal with it. Sesshoumaru Sukido wasn’t one to lace decorative words or dull the sting of the truth, he was one to give it - no matter how ‘rude’ it would be considered. And if he didn’t feel like speaking the truth - no answer would be given. This Sesshoumaru Sukido wasn’t a liar - many things maybe - but not that. Prideful, arrogant, egotistical, he would except - only because he deemed himself to be rightfully so, but rude - no.

He had let it slide though. The woman was clearly not worth the bother. These types of females, once put down, wouldn’t attempt again - they’d find another fresh catch.

Her existence grew bore some.

He let his eyes roam from figure to figure across the green. They were all there…except this Kagome. Her mother had apologized and said that the girl would be watching her younger cousin along with her younger brother at the pool area of the country club, but would join them for tea and lunch at 1:30.

He hadn’t minded, no, not at all. But he found himself wondering what she was like compared to the rest of her monstrous family. She had seemed different. Possibly her traits were that of the father’s side? Yes, that thought had been appealing. If he was fated with sisters-in-law such as these, the hope of at least one being tolerable had considerably lightened the resentment.

But hope had never been something Sesshoumaru much believed in or cared for. Hope was for those with little money trusting the lottery to bring them better days.

Hope was hopeless.

.-.-.-.

“Under the Sukido tab?” The man questioned unbelievingly at the front gate of the club - eyeing suspiciously at the already used and re-bought light-blue Volvo.

Yes.” Kagome sighed in exasperation. “Listen if you don’t believe me take it up with them - I’m sure they’d like that.”

The gateman’s amused smile faded to a grim expression as he quickly opened the gate with no more question, but not before saying threateningly, “If I find out -”

“Yeah, yeah, I know.” Kagome answered before speeding on through. Her first impressions on the place wasn’t very high - thank you, gateman. Neither were her spirits or patience.

“Geez, where is this place?” She asked while she wound her car down the granite road. Green and green and more green was the only thing she could see.

At least there’s one road. She thought sarcastically as they continued on their way. She assumed just to keep following on this path and she’d eventually find the pool. They still had time - being only 1:05.

“I think that’s it.” Souta said as he leaned forward from the backseat. “Christ, that’s one huge pool!” Souta’s eyes had widened in fascination.

It really was something, but a pool certainly wasn’t it. It was more like a little lake! Rin’s childish features were those of pure excitement.

“Rin wants out! Rin wants out!” She started to chant, struggling to unbuckle her seatbelt.

“Rin.” Kagome said in a warning tone.

Souta rolled his eyes and then whispered, “Rin you know what lurks in the Sukidos’ pool?”

Rin shifted towards Souta as she whispered, “What?”

“SHARKS!” Souta yelled and the little girl’s mouth dropped.

“SOUTA! I SWEAR!!” Kagome growled furiously. “Rin don’t listen to him, he’s just a stupid boy.” Kagome said as she parked the car and unbuckled her seatbelt.

Rin, remembering an early conversation, slapped Souta’s arm and said, “Be quiet, stupid boy!”

Souta glared up at his sister as she opened the door to help Rin remove her seatbelt, smiling.

“Don’t mess with us, Souta, you’re outnumbered. Good, Rin.” Kagome cooed as she patted the little girl’s head.

“Whatever - go ahead and corrupt her and turn her against the whole male population - but wait till we turn on you.” Souta said pointing a warning finger at her as he pulled his bag from the back of the trunk. “I’ve got a Kagome-hating-posse, ya know?”

“And I’ve got the driver’s license, ya know?” Kagome flashed a quick smile before locking up the car and heading towards the pool with Rin in her arms and Souta trailing behind.

“Damn, can’t beat that.”

.-.-.-.

After convincing Rin that the pool was definitely not shark infested the little girl jumped in. To Kagome’s relief she could swim and Souta had agreed to get in the water with her while Kagome kept watch from a reclinable chair on the pool deck.

She had spent most of her time studying and occasionally glancing up to check on Rin. Somehow, between studying and watching Rin, Kagome came to notice her surroundings. The pool was definitely something. It had a diving well separate than that of the main swimming pool, and a little baby pool. The diving well was quite elaborate, with a brick-like structure holding up two diving boards, a low dive and a high dive. Up the side of the brick structure ivy crawled, making it look like some enchanted waterhole - as ridiculous as that sounded. But it was quite impressive, finished off with a little fountain built into the front center of the brick construction, water tumbled into the pool below. The sudden beeping of her watch brought her back to the present as she glanced down and sighed, 1:25. Tea time was almost upon them. She snapped her text book shut and stood up to stretch.

“Hey guys! Time to get out and get ready for lunch!” Souta turned to her and shouted back an “Okay!” And went to fetch Rin.

Kagome smiled and then turned back to their belongings to snatch a pink and white dress embroidered with flowers from Rin’s bag and a pair of white sandals. Souta could dress himself.

She turned and threw Souta a towel which landed on his head. He ripped if off and shouted an indignant “Hey!”

Kagome just laughed and said “Get ready - we only have…” Checking her watch, “CRAAaa - crud!” Remembering Rin’s presence “We only have 2 minutes!” Souta’s mock anger faded as he promptly grabbed his stuff and headed off towards the boys’ locker room while Kagome quickly grabbed Rin and headed off towards the girls’.

Again, somehow, she managed to notice the extravagant design of the Sukido Club. The woman’s dressing room had double doors leading into a foyer of silk teal green sofas and cushioned chairs complete with a big screen TV. Connected to the main room was a powder room with mirror walling and little light bulbs lining the top with tables complete with baskets of brushes, hairdryers, make-up of all kinds, hair spray - everything. The final room that Kagome investigated proved to be what she was looking for. It was a line of elegant shower stalls with a rack of shampoo, conditioner, and soap in each one. She choose one and quickly shoved Rin in and turned on the shower.

She dried Rin quickly and dressed her even faster, pulling back her hair into a lopsided ponytail in her rush - and surprisingly it looked good on her. Rin was quite content with her pretty dress and was spinning around in it while Kagome hurriedly changed from her casual clothes into a blue skirt and a red, white, and pink thin striped shirt. Her flip-flops would just have to do.

With that she grabbed Rin and rushed to the pool deck once again to find Souta just emerging from the boys’ locker - she dimly wondered what that looked like, before shouting a “Let’s go!”

And the trio rushed off to the club’s terrace to find the unbearable people that sadly they would be related to one way or another.

.-.-.-.

“I’m sure they’ll be here soon. Little Rin must be having too much fun in the pool! You know how six-year-olds get!” Mrs. Higurashi played off a laugh while secretly fuming at her daughter’s tardiness.

Mrs. Sukido chuckled and nodded her head, “Oh, yes I know! When Inuyasha was little - he was such a wild child! I swear!”

Aunt Susumi gave a grave nod of her head, “Yes, little Rin can be a trouble sometimes - I think she gets it from her father’s side of the family…”

The three mothers where thence engaged in conversation.

Kikyo, Midoriko, and Inuyasha were chatting conversationally while Mr. Sukido read the daily stocks and then there was Sesshoumaru.

Sitting uninterestedly at the end of the table.

By him were two empty seats on his left side and one on his right. Apparently for the little child and the two more family members of the Higurashis. Children were also something he wasn’t fond of. Their nonexistent ability to hold a decent conversation and instead ramble on uselessly about something trivial, annoyed him. Almost too much like women. Their brain capacity was also too much like a woman’s - diminutive.

Sesshoumaru sipped his tea with great restraint of just gulping it down altogether. What a taxing afternoon - children and women - it was almost too much for him. But he was surviving little by little. He had a plan. Finish about two cups of the soothing green tea, have a little miso soup and then head off to work - excusing himself politely and then slipping away from the bothersome chatter. Simple, sweet, and hopefully successful.

He idly swished the jade liquid in his tea cup as he watched the activity throughout the table - and that’s when he saw them. A girl with odd blue eyes, a boy with a familiar bored look upon his features, and a little girl sitting on the young woman’s hip looking quite shy. He frowned at the sight, but otherwise kept silent.

Mrs. Higurashi had paused in her conversation as she turned to her daughter, son, and niece.

“There you are Kagome! We were starting to think you got yourself lost! What took you so long?”

Kagome smiled slightly, embarrassed now that all heads were turned for her answer and all talking had ceased. Thanks a lot mom. She thought sarcastically before forcing a smile and saying, “Sorry, I guess I just lost track of time - I hope you weren’t waiting very long?” Kagome asked and explained while she placed Rin on the ground and brushed out her skirt. Souta took a seat to the right of the eldest brother of the Sukido family.

Mr. Sukido smiled fondly at the young woman, instantly liking her, “That’s quite alright, dear. Do take a seat - I think there are two more seats available near Sesshoumaru down there.”

Kagome’s eyes snapped instantly to where Mr. Sukido had gestured. Oh great! She groaned inwardly. She just had to sit next to the king of ice? Well not technically… She took notice of the two seats on the left side of Sesshoumaru - she would still be close to him, but Rin could sit next to him. She almost felt bad using Rin as a barrier like this, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

With that thought Kagome picked the girl up and placed her in the chair and took a seat next to her. To Kagome’s right was Mrs. Sukido and to her left was Rin. Next to Rin was Sesshoumaru.

A delicate arch of the eyebrow was the only reaction when the girl had placed the child next to him. The little girl peeked shyly at him - like mother like daughter. He turned his stare on her and she quickly blushed and turned away, burying her tiny head into her cousin’s shoulder. Sesshoumaru leaned farther back into his chair and started his second cup of tea.

Soon, very soon it would all be over. He would escape to the safety of his office away from his dreadful in-laws.

Kagome looked at Rin quizzically as the little girl buried her head into her shoulder. What the…? She glanced from Rin to Sesshoumaru and suppressed a sigh.

She really didn’t feel like this. No not at all. She bent down and whispered, “Rin, ignore the silly boy next to you - he’s not very nice, okay?”

Rin looked up and nodded her head.

Kagome sighed thinking everything was solved right when Rin turned quickly in her seat and looked straight at Sesshoumaru.

Rin stuck out her pink little tongue and with that pointed a finger and said, “Meanie!”

Kagome quickly placed a hand over her little cousin’s mouth and bit her lip. Oh, no!

This - this devil child had dared to…! Yes, yes she had. Sesshoumaru tightened his grip on his tea cup, the fragile glass cracking under his vice like grip.

A crackling laughter echoed throughout the table from none other than Mrs. Sukido who looked from Rin to Sesshoumaru to Kagome, having noticed the little girl’s antics.

“Well, well Sesshoumaru you certainly have a way with the ladies don’t you! Ahahaha! Dear Rin is such an adorable little girl isn’t she?”

Sesshoumaru growled, “Very.”

His patience was shortening with every minute. He left them alone - what was it with these females? Didn’t they understand?

Kagome, noticing the tension, laughed a little nervously before replying, “Well, I think Rin was just being rude.” Giving a pointed glare at the girl before continuing, “Sorry about that.” Kagome said while glancing quickly at Sesshoumaru, directing the last sentence towards him.

He seemed to be angry. Kagome dimly registered his furrowed brow, cold golden eyes, tense muscles in his neck and arms, and the way his left eyebrow seemed to rise in agitation. Kagome grimaced at how much she had actually taken in. Had she truly observed all that? No! She was almost becoming as bad as the rest of her family.

Sesshoumaru didn’t reply to the girl’s apology, but instead took another sip at his tea and to his frustration found it cold. He placed it down with aversion and summoned a nearby waiter and with clipped tones ordered a glass of the finest wine available. He needed something to stultify his nerves. He placed his hand on the bridge of his nose to ward off the oncoming headache. This is what this family reduced him too. A jumbled bunch of raw nerves threatening to explode from his cold, well preserved exterior.

He hadn’t lost this much control since…since forever.

Kagome had started to take a sip of her tea when Mrs. Sukido turned to her.

“Well, Kagome, how’s Tokyo University? Your mother tells me you are studying to become a surgeon?”

Kagome placed her tea cup down and smiled, “Oh it’s very exciting and very big. At first I was a little intimidated, but now it’s like a second home to me. And yes, I’m aiming for a medical degree to become a surgeon.”

Sesshoumaru listened, much against his will to the conversation between his mother and this girl, Kagome. She did seem to be something different than her sisters and the rest of her family. She seemed to be…interesting. Hmph, a surgeon? He thought to himself. She did know how much schooling that would take - maybe 8 to 10 years until she could become a full fledged doctor.

She had dedication too.

Mrs. Sukido nodded, “That’s quite interesting. But surely you’ve found yourself a nice boy that you might possibly marry?” Kagome nearly spat out her tea.

“Well..umm, you see…--” Kagome began completely caught off guard.

“Oh! Do tell who is the lucky boy!” Mrs. Sukido’s eyes flashed with excitement at the chance for a new bout of gossip.

Kagome ground her teeth and flashed a smile, already annoyed at the woman. “Well you see, with my studies and now this upcoming wedding I really don’t have time for any boyfriend. It’s hard enough to see my friends.”

Mrs. Sukido’s amusement faded and she nodded her head, “I see. What a pity! I think I would die in your position! Study! Study! Study! What a bore! Wouldn’t you agree?”

Before Kagome could answer the deep voice of Mr. Sukido interrupted.

“There, there, Izayoi, leave the poor girl alone!” Mrs. Sukido smiled slightly and then turned to Kagome, “Sorry dear, I get a little carried away sometimes.”

Kagome smiled somewhat wearily. “It’s quite alright.”

Mr. Sukido smiled and turned to the young woman his wife was previously harassing. “Well I think it’s wonderful to find a girl in this day and age not with her head up in the clouds. I find it absolutely refreshing that you are studying to do something very difficult I hear. Eight to ten years I hear it takes to get a master’s degree.”

Kagome nodded her head, “Yes, it’s going to be tough, but I think that if I like it enough, it will all be worth it.”

Sesshoumaru had been listening intently - much against his natural instinct to ignore. But he had listened and was drawn into the world of this simple girl, Kagome. She was a mystery compared to the rest of her boisterous family. She seemed to be intelligent, bashful to some extent, and…he couldn’t tell quite what, but she had a certain radiance about her that drew a person’s eye and held it. She was one of those people whom one found interesting.

In Sesshoumaru’s opinion she was just an attention-grabbing specimen meant for further observation. Nothing more, nothing less and when he figured out what she truly was (because of course it had to be a farce) he would be satisfied and let her on her merry little way. Until then she was due for further observation.

Mr. Sukido talked a little more to Kagome before lunch came of various sandwiches and soup.

And with that Sesshoumaru made his escape - his secure and female-free office was calling. Along with a certain business engagement that would end all the headaches. Sesshoumaru smirked as he unlocked his car, it would all be over soon and these last months would just be a horrible memory.

Yes, it would all be over soon, quite soon.

.-.-.-.-.

AN: First off - to the reviewer!Me: Thanks so much for your review! I’m really glad you are enjoying this story, and do not worry Sesshoumaru is definitely not going to love Kagome right away or even very soon. (As you can see). As for updating each week, that is, and I must say, impossible for me. Life is too busy and to write well and sufficiently so that my story isn’t a load of crap I have to take my time. I know there are writers who are wonderful and can update like WHAM! but, alas, I am not one them. But I do hope that you continue to read my story, even if the updates are exactly speedy!