InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through the Rose Colored Lenses ❯ Explosive Developements ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: You guessed, I don't own Inu Yasha and Co.

Through the Rose Colored Lenses

Ch.23

By Sailor-Scribe

"How could she have gone alone?" Inu Yasha growled as best he could in his human voice. "Doesn't she watch movies? Doesn't she know that the person that goes alone to be the hero always gets killed?"

"Unless it's an American Film, then they save everyone and end up really beat up, but still able to limp out of the warehouse." Miroku corrected.

"But this isn't an American Film! This isn't a movie! This is real life, and what she did, besides stupid, is highly dangerous!" Inu Yasha screamed. They were in his father's office again, reviewing the situation. Inu Shantino was on the phone with an old friend speaking in an unknown language…something youkai. Inu Yasha was wearing a hole on the office floor from his pacing, and Miroku and Sango sat in front of Inu Shantino staring helplessly at him. "If she gets her stupid ass killed…I'll go to hell, bring her back, just so I can ring her neck myself! That stupid bitch!"

"I know you're worried Inu Yasha." Sango suddenly stood up. "But screaming at her when she isn't here isn't going to bring her back. Save that for when we get her back here safe and sound with Souta. Then we'll take turns strangling her."

"And until then, what do you suggest we do?"

"Kick Naraku's sorry ass?" She suggested.

"And how should we do that when we don't even know where he is?"

"You are the richest family in all of Tokyo, Japan and, probably, Asia…you guys can buy anything, even information."

"We've tried, but all ends come back empty, and my contact hasn't gotten in touch with me."

"Contact?" Miroku asked surprised.

"I have a spy in Naraku's organization."

"Wow, you kept that secret well…I'm surprised Kagome didn't tell me." Sango mumbled.

"She didn't know."

"What? You had a spy in Naraku's organization and you didn't tell her?" Both Miroku and Sango screamed in unison.

"Keh."

"Even human he has a limited vocabulary." Miroku scolded.

"Didn't you think that little piece of knowledge might have given her hope while she was pacing aimlessly with worry earlier today?" Sango was ready to rip the hanyou-turned-human to shreds.

"Keh."

"That's the problem, Inu Yasha, you don't think!" Sango would have continued to berate her friend, but a knock at the door interrupted them.

"Come in." Inu Shantino ordered. A young red-head detective walked in.

"Mr. Morrimotto," her smooth voice echoed in the room. "We have found the van ditched in the river with three unrecognizable burnt bodies in the back, none of which was of a twelve-year-old boy. Miss Higurashi is still missing, and no one has phoned. I think it's time you were honest with us. What is really going on here?"

"Something you wouldn't understand, Detective Hitomi."

"What I understand is that this isn't an ordinary kidnapping, and that most likely, Miss Higurashi has left to reunite with her brother! I know that there is a bigger picture and it revolves on this family name! What is going on here?"

"I'm taking over." Detective Hiikaru stepped in. He flashed his badge at the other detective. "Orders from above."

"Bastards." The young detective replied as she left the room eyeing her colleague suspiciously.

"The Youkai Council has taken over this investigation." He explained once she was gone. He brushed one hand through his dark brown hair and looked at Inu Yasha. "You look a bit human."

"Keh."

"Happens to the best of us. Now, what is this that Miss Higurashi has disappeared as well?"

"We believe she was contacted without our knowledge by Naraku." Inu Shantino explained.

"That is a heavy accusation you are laying. I hope you can back it."

"When we find Souta, we will."

"The Council has been after Naraku for a long time; this is just the excuse they were looking for. I am going to regroup our forces to get the man power you need. Perhaps you should prepare your team…I assume you will wish to take revenge personally."

"Keh, no good if we don't know where she is going." Inu Yasha grumbled.

"I'm sorry. I was under the impression she had a cell phone on her." Inu Yasha looked up before grabbing his cell phone.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Kagome maneuvered herself between the oncoming traffic with one thought in mind, "Souta." She had to formulate a plan, and so far, all she had gotten was, go in, kick Naraku's ass, save Souta, and go home. Unfortunately, she was sure that she needed to figure out how to kick Naraku's ass first. She swerved in front of a few cars, and then silently thanked that Kami wasn't interested in her dying today. She felt a vibration from her belt. "Damn phone." She pulled it out on the next red light thinking it was Naraku, but one look at the Caller ID and she muted it. "Inu Yasha." She sighed. She wasn't very happy with him at the moment, but she couldn't help somewhat understand him. In the time they had been together, he hadn't opened up to her much. Granted, she didn't think much of it at the time, but now, she realized the hanyou wasn't used to sharing. "Besides, telling someone your night of the month is like telling them your most intimate secret."

Kagome sighed. There was another more prevalent reason why she was avoiding Inu Yasha tonight: he was human. She hadn't been completely honest with herself before, but she knew it. "He is vulnerable tonight." She sighed again. Part of Inu Yasha's charm was his invincibility complex, and as much as she hated his smug looks, knowing that he couldn't be so easily taken from her made it easier for her to accept him. She had lost so many in such a period of time. "How can I survive losing anyone else? No…no, it's better if I keep him protected…at least for tonight. When I am done with this, I'll make it up to him, but for right now, I need to protect him."

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"Damn you bitch! Stop being stubborn and call me back! You can't face the fucking bastard alone!"

"Inu Yasha!" Sango interrupted the dark haired man's ranting. "It's the third message you left her. If she is going to call you back, she will."

"No, she won't. She would have answered the phone by now!" He yelled as he threw the phone across the room causing it to break into pieces. It felt good, or at least it did until he realized how much harder it would be for his spy to contact him.

"Miroku and Kaede are working on spells we can cast to fight Naraku's youki, and Hiikaru is working with Hitomi to get the police ready to back us up."

"What for? We can't even trace her unless she makes a call or answers the phone?" Inu Yasha protested, but was silent when Sango slapped him.

"My friend is out there looking for her missing brother, who could be dead. I don't care how helpless this situation seems, I have to believe that she will call…that she will be fine, and when she asks for my help, I want to be ready for her. So you can sit here all night and wallow in your self-pity, or you can get your act together like the rest of us!"

"And do what? You are a martial artist; Miroku is a Buddhist monk; Kaede is a miko, and I am nothing but a worthless weak human!"

"You're only weak because you want to be!" Sango began to storm out, but she stopped at the door and turned to him. "Did losing your demon blood also cause you to lose your marksmanship?" She left him to his own devices.

"She's right." Inu Yasha sighed.

"You admit it?" Inu Shantino asked in surprise.

"If I want Kagome back, then I am going to have to get her back myself. That means using whatever skills I have left in this form…"

"You want the gun?"

"And the sword…in case dawn comes in time."

"I'll have Jaken retrieve them."

"Also have the Cadillac prepared. I want to be able to move the minute we get notice." He walked out of the office to find Hitomi waiting for him

"I don't know how you got me replaced, but I'm warning you, I will find out what you are hiding."

"Look wench, I don't care if you got replaced or not. Right now the woman I love and her brother are missing. The only thing that matters is saving them." He stormed off leaving a very surprised woman.

"I bet a week's salary that he didn't realize what he just said."

Inu Yasha made his way towards his friends with one thought in mind, "I can't lose her too. Kami, you can't take them both from me."

*** 50 years ago ***

"May I help you?" A young miko approached him with a quiet smile. He was stunned by her beauty and calmness. They made him feel welcomed.

"Keh, I hope so." He handed her the letter his father had given him and waited for her response. What ever this pending business his father had with her must have been important if it was necessary to send him to this shrine on this cold but sunny April day. It wasn't so bad. The flowers had begun to bloom, and the sun made the chill less harsh. He notice the God's tree, and smiled lightly at the little girl hiding behind it.

"Kaede, it's not polite to stare." The miko said without looking up, and the little girl blushed before running off to play. "What your father wants will take a few days to prepare. Come back Sunday." She bowed and took her leave.

"Keh." He turned to leave, but stopped. "Can I have your name?" The girl froze halfway to the well house.

"Kikyo."

"Inu Yasha." He smiled shyly before leaving her blushing. Inu Yasha returned that Sunday, and every Sunday after that. The couple had become close, and even Kaede liked Inu Yasha's company, but the happiness was not to last.

"You still have that cough?" Inu Yasha asked one rainy November morning.

"You still have that shirt?" She teased him about his favorite red shirt.

"You said you liked how I looked in it." He complained.

"It doesn't mean that I want you to wear it every time you visit." She laughed, but soon stopped as a coughing fit overtook her. Inu Yasha frowned.

"I thought you were going to see a doctor."

"I am a good enough healer. I don't need to see a doctor." She quietly protested and gave him a sad smile. "Thank you for your concern though."

"Kikyo, I've known you for six months, now; that cough keeps getting worse. Just go to make me feel better. Please." She looked in surprise at the young hanyou. He never asked please.

"Fine. I'll go in the morning."

"Keh, that's more like it." She smiled again. That was more like the man she had fallen in love with. The truth was she knew what was wrong with her, even if she didn't know the name of the disease. She could feel it in her bones, in her failing spirit, in the cold sweats she had at night. She was dying.

"Cancer?" The word sounded foreign in his mouth as he stared at the door of Kikyo's hospital room. The doctor had tried to explain what it was, but all Inu Yasha could think was poison. "Cancer in her lungs."

"She will be lucky to see the New Year." The doctor had explained. "It is important for her to get rest and closure, now." Inu Yasha fidgeted with the ring he had in his pocket. He had bought it two months ago, and now whish he had had the courage to use it sooner. When Kaede had called him and told him her sister was in the hospital, he had ripped through half the mansion. The treatment had not had any results, if anything, she was getting worse. Then there was Naraku. She had told him he was just a lost soul that sought comfort in the Shrine, but Inu Yasha did not like the way he eyed Kikyo, as if she was dinner. She always felt exhausted after his visits, not that it would stop her from performing her duties as the Shrine miko. He smiled; this is why he loved her after all. With a deep breath, he stepped into the cold hospital room. He tried to smile, but she was so pale and thin. She tried to smile back, but it was too much effort. She was sleepy again.

"Hello beautiful." He whispered in a raspy voice holding back the need to cry. A nod was all she could muster today. "I have something I want to ask you." He got down on one knee as she looked at him confused. Taking her hand in his, he placed the ring on her finger, "marry me." The shock on her face was more than evident, and if it had not been for the illness, it would have been amusing.

"Inu Yasha," breathing was an effort, talking was exhausting.

"Let us enjoy the little we have left." The tear slipped from his eye, but he did not care. Only she could see him cry.

"Hai." He kissed her lips softly as she gave into the fatigue.

The ceremony had been quiet, but then, the bride wasn't up to anything else. She had seemed a bit more animated the past few days, and a small bead of hope had begun to form in the hanyou's heart. They sat together, now alone in the cold room as the first December snow began to fall outside her window. "They want to give you the medicine now, Kikyo." Inu Yasha whispered.

"A few more minutes, please."

"But you must be in allot of pain."

"It makes me very drowsy…please Inu Yasha. I want to remember this day as clearly as possible."

"As you wish."

"I love you."

"I love you too." He kissed his wife softly memorizing her taste like he did every time their lips touched.

"Inu Yasha, I don't want to stay here."

"What?"

"Their medicine isn't going to heal me. I rather spend what I have left at home, with you and Kaede. Not in these four walls. You said we had to enjoy what time we had left." She pleaded.

"I'll talk to the doctor." He eased her down as the nurse came to inject her nightly dose into the miko's IV.

"I love you, Inu Yasha." She smiled before she closed her eyes one last time.

*** Present day ***

"Miroku!" Inu Yasha stormed into the living room pushing back his memories of his beloved wife. "Are you ready to go?"

"We know where we are going?" He looked up with hopeful eyes.

"It's only a matter of time."

"I just need to load up the car."

"Get going on that…"

"What is bothering ye, Inu Yasha?" Kaede eyed the hanyou worriedly.

"Even with your powers and Sango's skill, we are still going to need some youkai strength…" Before anyone could reply Inu Yasha picked up a phone and dialed. "I wouldn't be calling if I had another option, but I need your help." There was an audible thump on the other end of the line. "I take it you haven't heard the news…Souta was kidnapped earlier today, and Kagome has gone out on her own to rescue him."

"What?"

"Oh, and there is one more thing…it's my human night…Fine, I'll let you know where they are as soon as we know."

"Inu Yasha?" Sango asked cautiously as he hung up the phone.

"Kouga will be joining us."

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

"Kouga, how did you fall of the bed?" Ayame asked as she peeked from underneath the covers. With all the wedding plans, they had not had time to themselves in a month. Business was piling up, and things within the pack had been strained at best. They had even missed Sesshomaru's wedding due to unresolved family issues. All he had wanted was a small holliday away from all the problems, so he and his future bride could remember why they were getting married in the first place. Now, the Inu Kurro had called him and asked for help…for his help. The situation had to be worse than it sounded if that hanyou would humble himself in front of his greatest rival, and there was no way in hell Kouga was going to let him down. Rivalries aside, Inu Yasha was a loyal friend.

"That was my emergency phone, Ayame…There is a problem." He observed as the red headed green-eyed beauty sit up with concerned.

"Souta was kidnapped; Kagome went after him, and Inu Yasha is human."

"Naraku?"

"I suppose."

"Grab our bags. I'll drive. No one messes with my friends and gets away with it."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kagome eyed the vacant warehouse warily. She knew she was walking into a trap, but that wasn't going to stop her now. Her brother needed her; that was all that mattered. She stared at the grey doors with the pealing red paint and the fading black letters that said 'Storage' with disbelief. This was it and with only three minutes to spare. "Kami, please…I beg of you: help me. I don't know if I can do it on my own…" She silently prayed before taking a deep breath. "Remember girl, he can smell your fear." She took one step forward and walked towards the inevitable.

The door was unlocked and unceremoniously announced her arrival with a loud squeak when she pushed it open. She stepped into the dark building with her head held high as she kept herself aware. There was one obvious ragged breathing pattern, which she hoped belonged to her brother. Otherwise, there was only an overpowering dark aura: Naraku. The lights came on the back, and she walked towards it without a hint of fear, though she felt it concentrate into a ball in her stomach. She wanted to throw up.

Slowly, she approached the unfamiliar scene, feeling as if she was in an interactive play, not real life. She gasped as she saw Souta hanging from the ceiling in the center of the light. His arms were tied above his limp head. She noticed the way his toes hardly touched the ground. She started to sprint towards him, when a voice from above caught her attention. "Not yet." The cold raspy voice had a tinge of malice and slime imbedded throughout every syllable. She recognized it immediately. Slowly, she turned towards it with a defiant scowl in place. She noticed the mask-like handsome face and the long wavy hair, but his condescendingly evil smile was what she worried about. "First the jewel."

"I had a better idea. How about I just take my brother and the jewel and walk straight out of here? In return, I won't purify you…today." He chuckled at her response. "Just like a man," she sighed as the group of shadow demons walked up to the light, "he has to do everything the hard way." Silently thanking Kaede, she dug her hands in her pockets and pulled out a miko bomb. She released it upon the unsuspecting demons and watched them scream in surprise when the overwhelming purifying aura surrounded them. Kagome wasted no time in moving towards Naraku, kicking anything that got in her way. By the end of the evening, she was going to purify his sorry behind.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

"Hitomi, I've been thinking." Hiikaru started as he poured her another cup of coffee. "If Naraku is waiting to make his move, that means he is probably watching the house."

"That makes sense. He sounds like the type to would monitor our every move…perhaps we could use that to our advantage." Hiikaru smiled at the young woman with big blue eyes. After he had explained the situation to her, omitting the demon references, she had become quite helpful in the investigation. He wasn't surprised. The young woman had risen among her ranks quickly and earned the respect of her peers with good hard police work. She was respectful to all who were respectful to her, and liked to dish out what was given to her. She was definitely his type of cop.

"Exactly what I was thinking…in fact, I thought we could…"

"Where is Junior going in such a hurry?" She asked looking past him. He turned to see Inu Yasha raced towards the garage.

"Who knows, but I was thinking we could…" Hiikaru quickly explained his idea.

"Sounds good, I'll get the props; why don't you get Inu Yasha to cooperate."

"Is this the last of it Inu Yasha?" Miroku asked as he helped him put a giant boomerang into the back of the Lexus SUV.

"Yeah, what the hell is this thing?" Inu Yasha grunted

"A present from Kaede for Sango…It's supposed to be a weapon, but how she is suppose to use something this heavy is beyond me!"

"May be she's suppose to ask him to carry it for her?" Inu Yasha suggested.

"It's called a Hiraikotsu, and it is used to slice through your enemies." Sango replied picking up her weapon and placing it inside the car. The two boys looked at her in surprise and followed by grunting something about them faking the heaviness.

"Miroku, I have something for ye." The older miko approached the group. She handed the young man a set of beads with a glove and asked him to put it on.

"Hey this is stylish." Miroku joked.

"That is the glove of the Kazanna." The miko explained.

"Oh…" Miroku became quiet remembering the family history.

"As long as ye wear it, you will carry the burden of your family curse."

He sighed, "The one that was ended when that monk died without a son."

"Do not overuse it."

"I'll try."

"About fucking time!" Inu Yasha growled as he looked down at his replacement cell phone. After he broke the old one, he had to wait an hour before the telephone company could connect him a new one. He was finally getting his old messages. "I'll take my car. You guys follow close."

"Inu Yasha!" Detective Hiikaru called.

"I'm on my way out! Kagome has been gone for over an hour, and I can't wait any longer." Inu Yasha called back.

"This will only take a minute."

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

"Not bad." Naraku noticed as Kagome worked her way up the steps armed with a dart gun. The darts were not as good as real arrows, but they were effective enough to take down his lackeys and required less reloading. He noticed the nervousness of Yura and Bankotsu behind him, but he didn't care much. Sucking the life of Kikyo's reincarnation little by little was going to be his sole bed time treat tonight. "Kikyo," the name ran like bitter honey through his mouth. Kagome had finally reached the top of the stairs. She threw her empty dart gun to the side and with a smile jump forward, dropping another miko grenade in front of her opponents. Bankotsu remained unaffected as Yura jumped out of harms way. Naraku seemed unfazed by the bright light. There was a large thump followed by someone screaming,

"Nee-chan!"

When his eyes came back to focus, Yura had returned to his side and Naraku, though singed, still held his ground as he smiled demonically at his prey. "Nee-chan?" Bankotsu wondered, and realized that must have been Souta. He turned to where the young boy had been tied up to only find a cut rope. "The boy has escaped!" Bankotsu screamed in surprise without hiding his relief. This 'I'm rotten to the core' act of his was getting old. He needed to move fast and get his revenge. He couldn't take much more of working for Naraku.

"Nice move, Kagome…may I call you Kagome?" Naraku asked as he took a step forward.

"No." Kagome replied as she raised her spare gun to his level. "Another step and I will purify you."

"But you plan to purify me anyway, don't you?"

"Can you blame me?" Naraku laughed in response.

"But you can't do it alone. Could it be that you are waiting for your hanyou lover? I know you saw him before you left…do you think he is on his way here?"

"No. I didn't tell him where. I didn't even tell him I was leaving. This isn't something I can't handle." Somehow she managed to keep from trembling. His youki was getting stronger. How was she supposed to purify something that strong?

"Well, then why is he leaving his house?" Naraku asked as a screen behind him turned on. On the screen, a clear image of the front of the Morrimotto estate was visible from afar. She made out Inu Yasha's red cap, the one she had won for him in the carnival, the one that had become his favorite, on the head of a familiar figure. Inu Yasha made his way to his Cadillac and got in. The deafening roar knocked Kagome to the ground. She must have been standing on the speakers because she could still feel the vibrations bellow her.

"You bastard…" She whispered as she stared at the massacre in front of her. The car had been blown to bits and there was fire everywhere. She watched in disbelief as the lone red cap burnt while swimming through the air. The jewel began to glow around her neck as her skin became hot with power. Anger and grief sparked a new life in her eyes. "You killed Inu Yasha!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hey guys. I know quick update, but this is it for a little while. I have to catch up on my school work. The only reason I updated was because Meche had a horrible past 4 days, and she deserved something special. She didn't get to correct all of it, so you will see a few extra mistakes. I thought I would give a quick break. Two more chapters to go…Can I make them cliff hangers? Let's see! Some of you complained about them, but if you remember, this is a challenge I gave myself. Now, if only I can end the story with a cliffhanger…but I think I rather not have you guys kill me. I am beginning to think that I will need and extra chapter now…you can thank Meche for that. She was the one that kindly reminded me that I hadn't told you guys the full Kikyo history. Don't worry. There is still more to come on that history. ::Looks around and sees fuming readers:: You guys wouldn't be mad because I killed Inu Yasha would you? ::Reviewers begin to light torches and pick up pitchforks:: Well, review if you want him to survive, but I don't know how that would work…it is his human night ::gives reviewers evil smile:: Thank you for the 575 total reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Meche who got finally got to be the first reviewer on both mediaminer and fanfiction!!!! ::Gives her a bag full of cookies::