InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unlayering the Soul ❯ Routine? ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here it is. What was lost now is found. My handwritten, fully transcribed chapter went MIA for a few weeks, but it's back now!
 
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000
 
Unlayering the Soul
Chapter 4
Routine?
 
11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 111111
 
Miroku really liked Kagome. She was a sweet girl. That was one of the reasons he let her borrow some of his designs. That and he wanted to get her to stop trying to kill him. She had a nasty habit of always trying to do that.
 
Luckily for Miroku, she had gone to get that picture for her ID taken. She walked straight to the studio, ever fearful of how her unphotogenic self would appear this time. Maybe some make-up would help. She saw a woman who might be a make-up artist as she entered the studio, but she didn't want to get her hopes up. Most of them would probably be at the fashion show that some of the designers here had pieces. All the models were there.
 
No. That wasn't true. The one model the photographer would use in the shoot today was in the building. Kagome knew this because that model had had Miroku's tongue (and various other body parts) down her throat that morning.
 
Anyway, as she entered the studio, she saw the woman and approached her.
“Excuse me, but I'm here to have my picture taken and I was wondering if you were a make-up artist.”
 
The green-haired, effeminate man glanced at her and began to squeal with delight. “Yay! I thought I would have to pack up and leave without using any of my lovely brushes today. I love what I do so much and that would have upset me terribly. I might have even gotten a blemish. I have been waiting for you for such a long time.”
 
Kagome's reaction at hearing the person's obviously male voice had been shock. She felt strange for confusing the man's gender. She tried to awkwardly carry on the conversation. “Oh. I just thought I was taking a picture. I didn't know the company included this kind of...treatment when taking pictures.”
 
The man stared at Kagome as if she had sprouted another head. “Where have you been? Make-up is always included in these kinds of photos.” The man turned and looked in another direction, only to call out to someone else. “Hiten! Your subject is here.” The man quickly began work as another, more familiar one burst into the room, his presence commanding her attention.
 
Oh no. The chauvinistic ass from this morning. “What are you doing here? I thought pigs lived in barns.”
 
Hiten smirked seductively at the fire in her eyes. “So the kitten has claws. Please, do not take this morning as an accurate portrayal of me, my dear girl. I thought you were somebody else. As an apology, let me take you to lunch.
 
“I'm sorry,” she began in a mocking tone “but I have plans...with my boyfriend.” `Good one, Kagome.' Inner pride radiated at his initial reaction. Rejection might teach him to treat girls better. However, he recovered far too quickly to be a good sign.
 
“Then your boyfriend knows how important you work is to you. Perhaps we could discuss business over lunch, with your boyfriend of course.”
 
What? What was he trying to pull? He definitely threw her for a loop. “I don't think that would be appropriate. He isn't into fashion.”
 
Hiten's smirk grew. Uh oh. That smile could be dangerous if it went unchecked. “So, he's coming to pick you up?”
 
“Umm...yes.” Way to sound smart Kagome.
 
“Good. That means you can spend the time it takes to wait for him with me.”
 
“What?! I never agreed to that. I'm just here to get a picture taken.” Who did he think he was? What made that presumptuous ass think she would be around him more than necessary after this morning?
 
He once again allowed his eyes to travel up and down the peppery, unrestrained beauty's delectable body. However, this time his gaze was filled with a scrutinous and calculating eye rather than his prior lust-filled gaze. Upon second glance, she was perfect. She wasn't as thin as most girls he'd worked with, but her curves and eyes did wonders to convince him of the goldmine he was staring at. She seemed to have a genuine, expressive quality to her. She would do nicely.
 
22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 2222222222222
 
This guy had nerve. Why did he have to stare at her like that? “Who gave you permission to look at me that way?” Her voice teemed with unrestricted rage.
 
“Relax. I'm just trying to figure out what lighting would be best.”
 
Kagome would have thought he was lying, but her instincts told her he was being entirely honest, for once.
 
“You put on that outfit, let Jak get you ready, and I'll take your picture. After that, you wait for you `boyfriend' with me in my office. I'll tell the receptionist in the main lobby to inform anyone looking for you of your location.” He walked over into the light to make adjustments, leaving her in confusion.
 
The flamboyant man, Jak, set a quick pace to complete her face's flawless coverage. “Honey, we've gotta move. I need you done in ten. Now, I think you best colors could be...”
 
Wait. What was going on? Wasn't she, a humble fitter, a not-even designer, just supposed to be getting a routine photo for her staff ID card? Since when did Tenseiga West start pulling out all the stops for something so menial as this?
 
33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333333333333
 
Kikyo Iwata felt overwhelmed. There was so much to be done in the few meager weeks before the wedding. But it was worth it to marry the love of her life.
 
It was really quite a shame. The man in question, one Inuyasha Takahashi, wasn't completely honest with his bride to be. Oh sure, maybe at one time he loved her and she him. Hell, even now he at least cared for her, but did he love her?
 
They grew up together against their fathers' wishes. They even had plans to elope when they were seventeen. However, his emotions for her grew cloudy and ambiguous after Kikyo's father sent her to a French finishing school.
 
In that time, he grew confused and melancholy. He felt lost. With Kikyo gone, his soul felt torn and ragged. He didn't know what to do.
 
That was until he met Kagome Higurashi a month later. She had been his guiding light, a beacon to a brighter tomorrow. She was his salvation. With her around, his loneliness melted away.
 
They fought a lot. In that, he and Kagome shared a love-hate relationship.
 
No. That wasn't right. They had never once hated each other. They both had fiery tempers, but neither one hated the other. In truth, their arguments got his blood racing. The energy she put forth in their bantering affected her personal appearance in a way that affected his personal appearance. (Some parts more than others).
 
Something basic and fundamental irreversibly changed in him forever.
 
They had had a secret relationship for about a year-and-a-half. He proposed to her one magical night in the summer. He offered his mother's ring, and he, reluctant though he was to outwardly wear a ring declaring his love for her, wore a sacred necklace of ancient teeth said to be from a powerful demon and brown beads said to protect the wearer with holy magic. The necklace was supposed to bind the heart of the wearer to the bestower for eternity.
 
Although Inuyasha was 19 and Kagome 17, they were willing to elope in Las Vegas and spend the rest of their lives together. She was willing to throw away everything for him. That's just what she did.
 
He sure found some way to repay her faith in him. He hadn't given her an option, hadn't even said goodbye. Then again, he didn't have much option either.
 
What was she doing right now? Was she shopping in some LA boutique? Taking some college final? Wrapped in the arms of a man who was not him?
 
Whatever it was the girl was doing, he had no doubts she could take care of herself without anyone's help.
 
44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 4444444444444
 
She needed serious help. She was trying to call Manten. Hopefully he could help her.
 
RING RING
RING RING
 
“Hello.” Manten sounded calm and collected. Good.
 
“Manten, I need you! Please come down here. Some creep won't leave me alone until my `boyfriend' picks me up. I haven't had a boyfriend in years. I know this is a lot to ask, but-”
 
“Kagome, calm down. I'm on my way with Seiki.”
 
“Thank you. You're a lifesaver and I love you for it.”
 
He hated when she did that. She openly said `I love you' to all her close friends. He felt lonely and when she'd say that...
 
He might never get her in the way he wanted, but those words only instilled his heart with false hope. He wished she would stop.
 
55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555 555555555555
 
“Sesshoumaru,” Hiten called as he barged into the most lavish office in the building. “Those pics should be great. I just got done with her and she was fantastic.”
 
That wasn't possible. Not when 10 minutes ago Sesshoumaru's imp clung to the very expensive chair before him, as he had the misfortune of telling his boss that the only model in proximity to the building was the fired, now ex-girlfriend of Hiten Iwata.
 
This was a strange circumstance indeed.
 
“I'm so glad she lived up to your standards.” Sesshoumaru truly had no idea what happened, but if he admitted so, it would make him appear unorganized and having no control over the company.
 
“Boy did she ever.”
 
`Indeed. Now to unravel the mystery.'
 
66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 6666666666666
 
The creep walked in 20 minutes ago, and now she was unable to get rid of him. When would the nightmare end?
 
“So how long have you been doing this?”
 
“Doing what?”
 
“Surviving the world of high fashion.”
 
“...”
 
“Okay, so I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks. Would you go with me?”
 
“I'm sorry, I already have plans.”
 
“Oh, forgive me,” mocked the arrogant asshole. “I forgot about your `boyfriend'. What kind of suicidal maniac could want you as a-”
 
KNOCK KNOCK
 
Hiten walked over to the door, surprised at the interruption. He opened the door the familiar, yet unexpected man before him. The balding figure carried in his arms a little girl.
Well don't that beat all?
 
“Hey Manten, I'm sorry. I'm a little surprised to see you. I thought my secretary called to cancel our...Wait. Why do you have a...baby?”
 
“Actually, I didn't expect to see you here either. I'm here to see...” He stopped after Hiten fully opened the door to reveal Kagome.
 
“Hey Kagome.”
 
“Wait a minute. MANTEN is your boyfriend?!”
 
77777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777 77777777
 
AN- I know it's been a long time coming, but I hope it was worth it.