InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unlayering the Soul ❯ Getting Down to Business ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, hopefully you like the shorter time it took me to update. Let me know how you like this chapter. By the way, the radio stations on VH1.com really help cure writers' block. At least they do for me.
 
This might be the last chapter I write from San Diego. I'll try to get one more for each of my stories out before I go to school in San Francisco. But, be warned. My parents are unwilling to leave me alone for more than two seconds, fearing that I might disappear before they take me to college.
 
Thank you to all my reviewers, especially the ones who do so every time. You guys help me gauge how I'm doing. Even a few words helps me find out what works.
 
ATTN: Victor Maxwell- e-mail me you wannabe lecherous monk!
 
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
 
Unlayering the Soul
Chapter 7
Getting Down to Business
 
111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
 
Kagome sat in her desk chair typing furiously, trying to finish her work for the day as quickly as possible. Although many of her coworkers would be finished with the work week in a few minutes time, Kagome Higurashi was not so lucky.
 
Hopefully, if she finished typing her boss's letters and filing a few more documents, he would let her leave early on this Friday evening, not so she could get a head-start on partying or going on a weekend road trip like most other twenty-five-year-old women.
 
No. Kagome Higurashi had to go directly to night school. Kagome knew the reason she had lost her old job at Tenseiga was because she was dispensable. To fix that, she had been attending night school. She hoped an employer would be less likely to randomly fire her if she had a degree. She had earned a bachelor's degree in fashion merchandising and was working on a master's in business administration.
 
Although night school let her acquire these degrees in a much shorter period, they did take time away from her seven-year-old daughter. She tried to be there as much as possible, but it just wasn't enough for Kagome. It seemed like only yesterday she was a toddler. Now, her little girl was finishing the first grade.
 
It was hard being a single mother, but her baby was worth it.
 
Seiki was very different from Kagome herself as a child. Whereas Kagome was outgoing and lively, Seiki was calm and reserved. However, they both shared a great deal of kindness and compassion. Seiki had a heart of gold, a trait clearly found in her mother.
 
As Kagome finished typing the last sentence of the last letter, she glanced at her inbox. To her glee, it was empty. She picked up her black office phone and pressed a button adjacent to the numbers belonging to the speed dial and picked up the receiver. A loud buzz indicated that her employer heard the beep and he answered.
 
“Houshi.”
 
“Miroku, I'm done. Do you mind if I leave a bit early and head to class?”
 
“Go ahead. Oh Kagome, can you get Kaede to babysit? I have a date.”
 
With a sigh, she agreed. After all, Miroku wasn't Seiki's dad. It wasn't his responsibility to take care of her. He had already done enough. He, despite his usually lecherous ways, was a good male role model for her.
 
She couldn't be angry with him for wanting to live his own life.
 
“Alright. Bye Roku.”
 
After clicking the receiver, Kagome made arrangements for Kaede, the kind, elderly lady who moved into Manten's old apartment, to babysit. She missed Manten, but was glad he finally found a girlfriend. She met her a few months ago.
 
The girl was very flirty and wore revealing clothes, but she and Manten shared the same hair fetish. Yura was a hair stylist and had all kinds of hair tools and accessories. She had a large number of wigs that Manten let her adorn him in as she pleased.
 
In the end, they both got what they wanted. Yura got a man who was surprisingly well endowed and didn't mind her passion for hair, and Manten got an attractive woman who wanted to be with him and who provided him with a new hairstyle whenever he desired. Even better, Yura was surely not after the fortune Kagome didn't know Manten had. Although Manten's family wealth was vast, Yura's was exceedingly more so.
 
She was happy for both of them.
 
At least, she would have been happy for them if she had time to. She was late. Even though it was considered okay to be late the class was designed for busy members of the workforce, she didn't want to be late for her first class.
 
That just wasn't cool.
 
2222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222< /div>
 
Sesshoumaru was quite pleased. After dropping in sales over the past few years, this quarter, profits were up. This resulted in part from his partnership with Ookami enterprises. Katomaru Ookami was an intelligent, yet rapidly aging businessman.
 
This partnership, at least for him, was one necessary for the survival of his company. His health was steadily declining. However, his son was not yet ready to take over. Katomaru hoped that Sesshoumaru could help speed that along. If Kouga saw how the son of a mogul ran his father's company in an ideal manner, that might spark the growth Kouga needed to emulate Sesshoumaru's success.
 
If only.
 
3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
 
Kagome had walked into the classroom on time and with five minutes to spare before the six o'clock class started. The room had only twenty seats in rows of five seats across and four seats deep.
 
She searched for an empty seat, but unfortunately, the only available one was in the very front in the second row from the left. She sat down. On her left a girl with dark brown hair. She had rich, brown eyes and wore magenta eyeliner. It certainly made her eyes pop out.
 
Kagome tried to engage the girl in conversation. She appeared to be the only person in the room about her age, or maybe a year or two older.
 
“Hi, I'm Kagome.”
 
The girl looked up and smiled. “Sango. It's nice to meet you.”
 
The two girls heard the door slam shut. They looked up to see a man in a brown dress shirt and black suit pants. It was a rather ordinary combination. However, the beautiful, royal blue, silk tie drew one's attention to his amazing blue eyes. After shaking herself from her trance, she noticed he had shoulder-length ebony hair that was pulled into a high ponytail. He was young and hot.
 
He walked behind the teacher's desk, and laid down his brief case.
 
“Hello, class. I am Kouga Ookami. Seeing as how I appear to be younger than some of you, you may call me Kouga.”
 
He walked around to the front of his desk and sat on top of it.
 
“This class will be a refresher course for some, but for others” he glanced around, his eyes stopping on Kagome for only a moment, “it will be a profound experience that will change how you perceive you interactions with others.”
 
He stood up.
 
“Your first lesson- negotiation.” He looked at Kagome and nodded in her direction. “You.”
 
Kagome, caught unaware, had the `deer-in-headlights' look on her face as he approached her desk, placing his hands on both sides of it and leaning over.
 
“Would you go out with me?”
 
Genuinely confused, Kagome could only question his sanity, or maybe just his timing. “Excuse me?”
 
“You know, dinner and a movie after class.”
 
“You're serious?”
 
He leaned a bit closer, with a sly half-smile. “Like a heart attack.”
Although class would be over at seven, Kagome couldn't even consider it. She had Seiki, and Kaede would need to go home soon after Kagome could get back.
 
“No.”
 
Rising up a little, he addressed the class. “This is a classic negotiation situation. I want a date with...” he looked at her.
 
“Kagome. Kagome Higurashi.”
 
“I want Ms. Higurashi to accompany me on a date. However, she does not seem as interested. What do I do?” He looked over the room.
 
One student answered, “Offer something she wants in exchange?”
 
“You're on the right track, but we can do better.”
 
Sango answered this time, “Do something she wants?”
 
“Bingo. Now, that leaves me to figure out what she wants, find a way to acquire it, and exchange it for what I want.”
 
After that last sentence, the bell rang, dismissing the class. He got up and headed back to his desk.
 
“Homework, practice your negotiating skills. See you on Monday.”
 
Kagome, being the klutz she was, dropped her things. As her classmates filed out, Kagome was left to gather her fallen possessions. As she lifted her bag, heard a voice, “So what do you say?”
 
Kagome turned around to face the gorgeous man. “Huh?”
 
“About that date?”
 
“Oh. I'm really sorry, but I can't. I have responsibilities that leave my schedule full. Thank you for asking though.”
 
She was almost at the door when he replied, “That's too bad, but I will see you next class. That's when we'll cover persistence.”
 
She smiled a tired grin, and left.
 
“Persistence, great,” she said to herself as she left the campus. She had the professor's `persistence' to look forward to next class. Well, she might as well enjoy the weekend while she could.
 
4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444< /div>
 
AN— I know this looks like I pulled it out of nowhere randomly, but I swear, there is a purpose for it. Just a reminder, this is a SessKag fic.
 
Hopefully, I'll get back to you soon.