InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unlikely Love ❯ Unlikely Love ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Unlikely Love

He found her where they had rumored her to be. Beside the waters that shone with it's own inner lights during the darkest of hours and rippled on the stillest of days, giving it the slight tinge of mystery that most in this era would not search out. This is where she had banished herself. A life of solitude that perhaps would heal her injured soul.

A soul abused by that hanyou, Inu Yasha. He did not deserve her peacefulness, her calm, and her beauty. Her willingness to stand up for herself to get what she wanted.

Her very spirit is what had attracted him in the first place. Her arrow cocked to strike down those before her, her hair flowing behind her as her lips pursed in concentration on her target. She was wasted on that jerk.

The stupidity of that one almost astounded him. He had left this one, this treasure and opted for HER? When this one, so much more true at heart, to herself, and to others.

And when he came there, she sensed him. Knew him for what he was with a passing glance. Saw HIM, what he was meant to be, and what he could do.

He had feared that she would bar him from her presence. One movement of her eye signaling disinterest would have sent him away, though it would have threw his mind reeling into the void. Unhappiness, all light ripped from his world.

Nevertheless, she did not. Instead, she accepted his presence for what it was. He did not come there to harm, but just to BE…. with her, for her. And it was as if all his hopes for his life could come true just because of this admission into her sanctum.

For a time, he watched her, going through her rituals. The rituals she did every day seeming to give her the solace she needed. And seeing this, he wanted to see her find comfort in his arms. Now was not the time.

When the time came, both would know. The knowledge would overcome his senses and everything would fuse into the moment of warmth that would envelope them. He would be sure, true, and calm in the face of that moment.

Then it came. Winter, frosty, but dry morning. The cold bothered neither of them, both past such troubles because of past life experiences and lessons. Lessons that taught that the truest cold was not without, but within.

She made her graceful way down to the lake, the snow shifting about her feet. A branch that had fallen the evening previous, before the soft crisp snow had overshadowed the countryside, adding shapelessness to the landscape, caught one slippered toe. She fell forward.

Time seemed to slow. She did not put her hands out before her, her face was calm, as if the snow covered ground were but arms to welcome her into it's embrace. This was the moment. Both had waited. It was here.

Before her now, she fell into his embrace, much warmer than that of the ground. His arms about her waist, Kouga breathed her sweet earthen smell, and his heart lifted, soared above the snow-laden clouds above.

Pulling her close, he nuzzled her neck. Turning her face slightly, her lips pressed against his ear and whispered four words.

"I've waited for you."

Kouga could do nothing but whisper back, his heart within every word.

"And I, you... Kikyo."