InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unliving ❯ Accidentally freaked out ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Just talking to this youkai proved more of a challenge that anything she'd ever come across, in her entire life. And her life hadn't actually been a smooth one! His calculated movements, his cold appearance and that husky voice formed a sight that intimidated Kagome a little. Okay, a lot!
 
 
Formalities aside, he was difficult to understand as it was. He was perfectly composed and not a muscle was moving on his face, except for when he spoke. And even then, he had no mimic. He was just immobile.
 
 
For an immobile person, he was damn graceful! Because when he did move, his entire body seemed to flow. His black clothes forced her to look at his face and hair, so white in comparison. Actually, she thought they were incredibly white even without the comparison.
 
 
His hair was like heavy silk, and it surrounded his body like a curtain. His eyes were always stuck on her face, as if he would be looking for something, as if he was trying to see something inside her. She was getting nervous, which didn't happen very often.
 
 
Sometime between their exchange of words, Ethan had entered and lit the fire, which was now burning with a violent orange flame in the fireplace. At least it wasn't that cold anymore, and she could see him better. Which really didn't help settle her nervousness at all, truth be told!
 
 
“You must excuse me… Kagome, I cannot receive you for our meetings during the day. I am usually… otherwise engaged until the evening. I trust this will not be a source of discomfort for you.”
 
 
Kagome was fascinated by the dance of the fire's light on his face. He looked a little sinister, unmoving and lit by the fire like that, as shadows moved across his perfect features.
 
 
“Not at all, Sesshoumaru-sama. I'm some sort of a night creature, myself, and I usually don't sleep much. Just a few hours per night, and I go to bed late as it is. So I can really say this arrangement is for the best.” She sketched a smile, and thought she saw amusement in his look at her choice of words. Night creature.
 
 
“Working woman.” He said, and she felt amused. So, he could be funny too. She was beginning to think that he was completely bitter and cold. A sense of humor was always welcomed in anyone.
 
 
“I guess I am.” She responded, nodding once.
“You will find that your task of analyzing my company won't be an easy one, but I am at your disposal, and so is my personnel. You will be answered any question you may have concerning this matter.”
 
 
“Thank you, Sesshoumaru-sama. I hope our partnership will be a fruitful one indeed.” She smiled a little, but he only nodded once. She hoped he will not mind the personal questions too much. She wasn't gonna investigate about his life, but a few clues couldn't hurt. She just wanted to get to know him a bit.
 
 
Sesshoumaru was observing this woman sitting before him much as one would observe an exotic creature, misplaced in the environment. She seemed out of place, in this business woman's skin. He slightly narrowed his eyes and wondered why was she lying to him. Why didn't she say she was an investigation journalist also?
 
 
It wasn't like one would have difficulties in finding that particular piece of information. Especially someone like him. But, as long as his plan was going well, there was no need to distress her… yet. Time will come when this woman will be horrified from what she would find out, but this was not that time.
 
 
He still had much to learn about her, before he could reveal himself to her. He must make sure she would be somewhat prepared to accept it. One could never be entirely prepared to accept that there is an entire different world just next to you, that you are unaware of. But she was strong, she was skillful and adventurous.
 
 
His eyes didn't move from her face not even for a second, the entire evening. Either that she was talking about Higurashi Inc., the plan she had for writing the report, or herself as a person, Sesshoumaru never loosened his intense gaze. He knew it would come the time in which she would ask him some personal questions, it was the Japanese tradition to know your business partner personally, especially one as significant as he would become.
 
 
She was now talking about their expansion in The United States. Her lips moved somewhat too lose for a supposed business woman, and her body language wasn't quite right either. She was well mannered, that was for sure, but she wasn't a business woman. He found that her occasional grimacing was pleasant.
 
 
Also, he found somewhat amusing the fact that she was desperately trying to resist gesturing all the time. She was failing miserably, but he wished she wouldn't keep her true nature hidden like that. After all, her true nature was what he was hunting for. Her true nature was what he craved.
 
 
Kagome tried to feel at ease with this strange creature, but soon discovered that it was at the very least impossible. His attitude, although permissive and polite, still seemed somewhat constantly amused, slightly superior, as if he was above others, as if he knew more that most.
 
 
Maybe he did, after all he'd lived for so long, she was almost certain he himself didn't remember when he'd been born. He was bound to gain superior knowledge during that lifespan. She felt intimidated, having him listen to her so attentive. She cold feel his gold eyes watching every move she made, registering her every gesture.
 
 
She desperately tried to act composed, but she couldn't fully control her feelings, and her actions. She knew her image would have to suffer from this lack of composure. She wasn't acting like a business woman.
 
 
A knock on the door cut through the room, and Kagome's head turned to the direction of the sound. Ethan stood in the doorframe, with a slightly frightened look on his face. Kagome shot a glimpse at Sesshoumaru, and saw him rip his stare off her and move it to his employee.
 
 
“Yes?” Sesshoumaru's voice was mellow, but very deep. Ethan almost shivered. Kagome was looking from one to the other, a little confused. She'd thought Ethan as the type that never lets out emotion, by the look of him. It appeared that she was wrong.
 
 
“Lord Devonshire is here, and requests an immediate audience with your Lordship.” His voice was steady, but a little cloudy nonetheless. Kagome looked to Sesshoumaru, who frowned and seemed to think it over for a second, as his eyes rested on the thick carpet. He appeared to be deep in thought, but his decision was quickly took, and his eyes shot up at the young woman in front of him, making her almost jump from her seat.
 
 
His expression was considerably more serious, and he seemed a little worried, maybe. She couldn't really tell. She instantly got a curiosity sting, which so often happened to her every time she would stumble across something potentially interesting. She decided to find out who this mysterious Lord Devonshire was.
 
 
“You must excuse me for the evening, Kagome. This requests my immediate attention. I promise we will continue our discussion the evening to come, or later tonight, if you are still awake.” He stood up, and she absentmindedly did the same.
 
 
“Of course, Sesshoumaru-sama. There's no need for apology. Later tonight would be fine.” She tried to smile, but ended up slightly bowing at him. It was something in his air that kept her from smiling at him. He nodded to her, and with a swift and flowing movement, he turned to Ethan, asking where he'd lead Devonshire.
 
 
Ethan responded that in the library. Sesshoumaru passed his employee without further conversation, and Kagome found herself alone in the room.
 
 
“Do you need me to escort you back to your room, Miss Higurashi?” the man asked, still distressed, but Kagome knew the way. It wasn't like her to get lost anyway, she had perfect orientation skills, and she doubted she would get lost in this castle.
 
 
“No, that won't be necessary, thank you.” She said, a little out of it, and Ethan bowed as he exited the room and closed the massive door behind him. Kagome eyed the large window. The storm was rampaging outside, and she could hear the woods nearby moan and bend under the wind's powerful blows, and the rain's violent shower. It was going on for several hours now. Was this gonna last much longer?
 
 
Thunders could be heard every ten minutes or so, and the silence in between them, as well as the warmth inside the room made a strange contrast with the weather outside. Kagome wondered what could be so important that this mad had come here on this weather. It was truly intriguing, especially to somebody like her, who had spent most of her last five years nosing around everywhere she could.
 
 
She had no idea where the library was. But she'd heard the distant sound of a door closing, a few seconds after Sesshoumaru had left, so she assumed it was nearby. That is, if the door wasn't closed by Ethan, or anybody else that could be wandering across the hallways.
 
 
But she doubted that the personnel would go about the castle at this hour of the night, and without any proper lighting. They couldn't do their jobs accurately if they had no light! She slipped between the doors, and carefully closed them shut, without as much as a squeak. She took her shoes off and began walking slowly along the hallway, attentive to every sound she could catch.
 
 
The corridor had a view of the outside garden, through a few tall windows every here and there, and occasionally some doors o the same side. The other side was all stone walls and closed massive doors. She was periodically looking back, as she went forth, and sometimes she would look up at the tall ribs that held the ceiling. It was very poorly lit, and she couldn't see much in front of her.
 
 
Occasionally, a lightning would spear the sky, and she would wince, taking in a quick breath. It was as quiet as a grave, except for the storm outside, whose rage was muffled by the thick walls. Kagome's heart was pounding in her chest. If somebody was to catch her in the act, she would fly out of here faster that she could say Sesshoumaru-sama.
 
 
One of her hands was stretched in front of her, as she used the other one to feel the wall on the right. She was pulling on the handles of doors she passed by, and one opened. It seemed to be a reading room, with some bookshelves and many chairs around a large table. But there was nobody there. Se closed the door and continued.
 
 
The sound of Sesshoumaru's husky voice made her stop her slow walk. He seemed angry, but she couldn't make out the words. She continued to walk forth, and took a turn to the right. There was a door there. The sound of his voice had stopped.
 
 
She frowned and bent her head forward, concentrating her hearing to the door.
“You are breaking the rules, Sesshoumaru.” A voice hissed, and she attributed it to Devonshire.
 
 
“Don't you dare lecture me about the rules, Devonshire! This is my haven, these are my rules.” Sesshoumaru's voice was dripping with poison. She instinctively backed a little, but resumed listening to their conversation.
 
 
“Bringing kine here at this time will only complicate matters. We have The Masquerade to think of and she's…” the man's voice broke abruptly, and Kagome narrowed her eyes.
 
 
“A whelp like you shouldn't even look me in the eye. Be grateful I don't want any bloodshed tonight.” Sesshoumaru hissed, and his tone gave Kagome the shivers. She heard a thud, as if something heavy was just dropped to the floor, and someone coughed a few times.
 
 
“If the kine is not fit, you will suffer the consequences, Sesshoumaru, no matter how high up you think you are.”
 
 
She swore she heard a growl.
 
 
“The werewolves are out and crossing borders. There will be war again, this is not the time for a new fledgling here! How did the Prince allow this?”
 
 
“Stop calling her that. She's not quite kine.”
“She's mortal, and that's enough.” came the man's answer, cold and composed.
“She's my concern, not the Kindred's.”
“You are Kindred!”
“You'd best go, until I lose my patience.”
 
 
“Consider my advice, Sesshoumaru.”
Their voices were so calm now, you wouldn't have said they were at each other's throats a minute earlier. She took their words as her queue and left to find that open door. She slipped inside and left the door cracked open.
 
 
She saw Devonshire take another path out, and she thanked God he didn't pass by her. He wore a long, flowing, black cape. Before he pulled the hood over his head, she could see his dark red hair, almost the color of dried blood. He shot a glimpse on the hallway, and his eyes sparked an ill shade of green. She almost shut the door closed, but he disappeared in a second, and she took the opportunity to run back into her room.
 
 
She closed the door behind her and leaned against it, breathing heavily. She was shivering. In front of her was the window, with a view to the woods and hills. She couldn't make out more than that. Had she heard right? Werewolves? The prince? What prince? Werewolves?? And were they talking about her? Was she the one they referred at as kine?
 
 
 
Sesshoumaru had threatened with bloodshed, and Devonshire mentioned a war. Between whom and whom? …Werewolves??
 
 
“What have I gotten myself into?” she whispered to herself. Kagome couldn't stop shivering. She was in shock, she couldn't think straight. Maybe she'd heard wrong, maybe… But no, her attention was well focused, damn she'd listened at hundreds of doors in her life!
 
 
She'd heard him well. Werewolves. These people were mad. Maybe Devonshire was pure blooded too. Maybe the centuries of life had finally got to their brains. She grabbed her temples with her hands and pressed. She had to clear her mind. She had to think rationally. There was a perfectly good explanation for this. There had to be!
 
 
She walked to the window, and noticed that it was somewhat wider than it should have been. It had been modified, so that more light could enter the room. She absently eyed the storm outside, her eyes wandering about the woods. It was a dark, thick forest, which spread for a few good acres, from what she could see now.
 
 
It seemed that the storm had settled, rain was the only one that poured calmly on the trees and the paved alley that lead to the main entrance. She could see Sesshoumaru's tall, imposing figure step out in the rain, without so much as a flinch. He just stood there, the wind blowing his long hair about his stiff body. He wore a black cape much like Devonshire's, which fluttered with the wind's touch.
 
 
She hid behind the window's heavy curtains and looked at him wide eyed. He looked… magnificent, for lack of another word. Ethan brought him a tall, massive horse. It was completely raven, and it fit him, Kagome thought. He got on effortlessly, and took a glimpse over his shoulder, as if hesitating for a second.
 
 
She sunk back into the curtains. His eyes shot up at her window and she could catch his gold bullets darting towards her. She hoped he didn't see her, although why was that she didn't know. A second later he turned his horse to the paved alley. The beautiful beast rose on its back legs releasing a wild scream of delight, at its master touch.
 
 
Sesshoumaru settled it with a command, and patted it on the neck. Then, he leaned forward, and Kagome could swear he talked to the animal. Within seconds, they were both out of her sight, and she was left staring at the rain. Where could he go with this rain pouring?
 
 
A knock on the door made her jump. She parted from the window.
“Enter.” Again, that word that didn't seem to fit her. This place made her think differently. Ethan appeared in the doorframe, a little wet from the rain.
 
 
“His Lordship asks forgiveness from Miss Higurashi for not offering dinner and he invites you to feel free to order whatever you desire. The personnel will be at your disposal until 10 pm, Miss Higurashi.” He bowed, and waited. Kagome couldn't believe it. She wasn't really that hungry. She'd actually forgotten all about dinner.
 
 
“That's quite fine, Ethan, I won't be having dinner this evening. I'm used to cooking myself, anyway.”
`Shit! A business woman shouldn't have the time to do that!'
“… When I have the time, that is. It relaxes me.” She hoped her mistake would pass by unnoticed. She gave him a smile, but the man remained petrified.
 
 
“Regardless, the kitchen is located downstairs. After you descend the main stairway you take the right corridor, then a left turn, and the first door will lead you to the kitchen. You may order any dish to the cook, and the butler will direct you to the dining room.” He seemed to wait for some kind of sign she understood.
 
 
Kagome nodded.
“O-Okay. Thank you…” she didn't know what else to say. What was it about this place that blocked her like this? She felt imprisoned, affected somehow.
 
“Would you like me to light the fire, Miss Higurashi?”
Kagome took an involuntary look at the small fireplace. She'd completely forgotten about that…too. What was with her? Werewolves!! Good answer!
 
“Uhm… yes, thank you. It's a little bit chilly.”
The man excused himself, and returned a few minutes later with whatever he needed in order to light the fire. Instantly, Kagome felt better, now that she realized that the cold had made her feel uncomfortable without her even realizing it. She stared at the dancing orange flames shooting shadows across the room.
 
 
Ethan seemed a little disorientated by her attitude. He almost shrugged, but bowed instead, wished her “Good evening.”, and closed the door behind him.
 
 
Kagome went to her laptop. Fortunately, she'd charged the battery, and kept it turned off since then. She opened it and placed it on the bed, climbing into the huge sleeping space. It was a little hard, certainly harder than her own bed back home, but the sheets were silky, under the thick exterior covers. They were all colored in dark shades of red, which made her think about blood stains.
 
 
She smiled, touching the fine fabric. She momentarily looked at herself and noticed she was still wearing that beautiful dress. She certainly didn't want it ruined, so she went to the closet and took a look inside. She found a long, flowing negligee, with matching robe. It was peach colored and silky.
 
 
She disregarded it, but found that there was nothing else she could sleep in. She didn't normally wear this sort of stuff, she found them too pretentious! The closet was hiding twelve such pieces, and she began to think that there was really no other option.
 
 
“Didn't they put a T-shirt in here? That's all I really need, anyway! Geez…” But there were mostly expensive clothing, and all for daytime use, so Kagome had no choice but to put on that annoyingly perfect negligee.
 
`Well, at least it's long!” She put on the robe too, covering her arms. The silky fabric touched her skin like a caress. It was beginning to get warmer, from the fire, and Kagome took a deep breath, trying not to think about werewolves. Could she have been mistaken? Could she have heard wrong? Maybe she was too tired.
 
 
She crossed her legs under her, pulling the dress up her thighs, and she began writing.
 
Even by storm, the entrance in Sesshoumaru-sama's magnificent estate leaves you with the distinct impression of an ancient corner of the world, almost untouched by the plagues of daily human kind. Lightning guided me to this secluded and wild part of The United Kingdom, as my arrival was marked by a rampaging thunderstorm. And what better welcome from such a wild miracle as Muncaster?
 
 
The master received me in the usual manner of long extinct noblemen, the kind that populate legends, bravery stories and the romantic dreams of young women…
 
 
Her fingers were moving rapidly on the keyboard, and her thoughts poured out in the usual, flowing manner. She rarely reedited her articles. They usually came out in the final form. Her talent was remarkable, and she'd been told that several times, without it actually sticking to her head and making her feel that important. She just liked what she did. Writing and traveling, what more could she ask for?
 
 
However, she conveniently left out the werewolves part, and decided to write it down as a side note, a personal note, as it were.
 
 
After a few hours of intensive writing in which she had described what she could catch from this place and Sesshoumaru himself, Kagome felt or better said didn't feel her legs. They were numb, from the lack of position shifting. She stretched them in front of her and her arms above her head. She closed her laptop and climbed out from the bed. The clock on the wall said it was 23 minutes past midnight.
 
 
She widened her eyes a few times, to detense her face muscles. She'd been frowning while writing. A rumble in her stomach caught her attention, and she decided to take on another wild quest. This time to the kitchen.
 
 
“Now, if only I could find a candle…” She started to do through the drawers, until she found a thick, white candle, on a wrought iron holder. Pleased, she lit it from the fire still burning in the fireplace.
 
 
She took a look at the flames and stirred them a little with the fire hook. Ashes was lifted into the air, but quickly settled back, as the fire took life. She exited the room, barefoot, not minding the cold. There were thick carpets on the floors anyway. She walked along the quiet, dark corridor, taking a look outside every once in a while. The rain was softer now, and the wind mellower.
 
 
The candle was throwing long, dancing shadows across the walls, and her silent footsteps weren't disturbing the corridor's graveyard stance. Kagome's violet eyes were wide open while she was taking in all the light she could. She reached the staircase and stopped to look at the angel painted on the glass. The sight of this beautiful creature was waking something inside her.
 
 
Those wings, the way they were protecting his wounded body, the way his face seemed to ask for something higher that life itself, is drove a shiver through her body. She pulled her eyes away from him and she headed to the kitchen. She found it easily enough, and went straight to the refrigerator, but found that there wasn't enough light.
 
 
So she stumbled across all the chairs and tables in the room trying to light the other candles. Probably the ones the personnel had been using tonight. Kagome figured there must have been frequent power outs in this place, because there were an awful lot of candles everywhere. Even in her room.
 
 
 
She finally got the room lit enough that she could see what she ate. Thankfully, the cooker wasn't electric. She just wanted an omlette and some cheese, with whatever vegetables she could find. Carrots or cucumbers would have been nice, though. Her taste in food was beginning to freak out even Inuyasha. And he wasn't really the frightful type.
 
 
She was very happy when she found everything she wanted in the large kitchen. After half an hour of frantic search, but she'd found it. `Those candles sure burn slow…' she thought for a moment, and then forgot all about them as she began eating. Halfway through her dish, she heard a muffled sound from the main entrance.
 
 
She swallowed, attentive. Silent footsteps were heading towards her. A cold claw grabbed her chest, and she froze with the fork in her hand.
 
 
Sesshoumaru passed by the main corridor, and stopped when he saw light from the kitchen. Tilting his head, he narrowed his eyes and gave the large door a push. It fell open, and he found himself looking at Kagome, who was just placing her fork on the plate. He could feel her unease. That wild scent she had was mixed with the raw emotion of anxiety. Yet, she just looked surprised.
 
 
“Kagome.” He said, a little louder than he'd intended. His tall, shadowy figure was blocking the door, and the dim light gave him an even darker appearance. The long black cape was dripping wet and strands of his wet hair were hanging limply over his face. His eyes still burnt though, and Kagome felt her heartbeat accelerate. He was beautiful, but the kind of beauty that scares humans.
 
 
The kind of untamed, feral beauty, much like a mysterious rainforest or a furious river wildly venturing through rocky cliffs. She was staring. He was a bit surprised himself, she could tell. His tongue rapidly went over his teeth (actually, his fangs, Kagome noticed, not without a flinch. What did she expect, he was a pure blooded! He did have claws and fangs.)
 
 
He began walking towards her, and Kagome just stared up at him.
“What are you doing her at this time of night?” his voice was husky, deliberately sinuous. It was crawling up her spine. Why was he trying to intimidate her? `Sick person…' she thought, wondering where he'd been for there past two hours.
 
 
 
“Uhm… Eating?” she responded, a little annoyed by his constant efforts to daunt her. She tried to smile. Again, she found that his eyes just didn't allow such a thing. They were stuck on her face like the eyes of a predator. Well, by all accounts he was a predator!
 
 
Sesshoumaru leaned forward a little, just enough for her eyes to raise a bit. His face was lit upwards from the candle, which gave him an eerie look. He noticed her violet eyes, wide open and unmoving from his; her soft, full lips slightly parted and shallowly taking breaths, her tanned skin and high cheekbones. Raven hair cascaded over her shoulders, and a few strands rested on her silk covered breasts.
 
 
It had only taken half a second, and then his eyes returned to hers. A few drops of water fell on the table as he put his clawed hands on the edge to lean forward.
 
 
He smelled like rain and wind. He smelled like the autumn, and she was frozen inside his eyes.
 
 
“We'll be seeing each other tomorrow evening, Miss Higurashi. Good night.” In what seemed to be just a second, he turned and exited. Kagome fell on the back of her chair, feeling as if she could breathe again.
 
 
His swift inspection had left her airless. Those eyes were like a microscope. She felt exposed under his look. Damn, this was too disturbing. How was she to last a month with this man?
 
`Oops, there's the thing. He's not a man.'
She closed her eyes and suddenly wanted to sleep, but the werewolves weren't allowing her to rest her brain.
 
 
“Damn it all to hell! I'm gonna pull through this and I'll be damned if I let a youkai scare me! There.” She whispered to herself. Her resolve wasn't helping much, though, as she recalled his husky voice and those eyes.