InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unordinary Silver ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: Um...duh. I don’t own it. If I did I wouldn’t be writing fanfiction. Lol.


Chapter Two


(I)


“Ugh, it’s so good to be home,” Kagome groaned aloud as she dropped her shoes at the doorway of her small apartment. She looked around and frowned at the silence, the absence of noise abnormal as she closed the door and shouted her brother’s name. “Souta,” she called while she searched the apartment’s tiny two bedrooms. “Souta, are you here?” She knocked on the bathroom door and sighed, figuring her brother to either still be at school or at their mom’s house.


Kagome sighed again and dropped her purse onto the coffee table, the depression she normally left on her doorstep when she left home now resting on her shoulders as she sat down in a nearby armchair and looked around her. The entire apartment was furnished with knicknacks and oddities from their grandfather’s shed and though they could have been sleeping on the floor, the lumpy mattresses and malfunctioning appliances were an embarrassment to herself and her brother.


‘We can’t afford anything else though,’ Kagome said to herself as she pushed out of the chair and grabbed her purse. ‘Everything I make goes to Souta’s college fund. I can understand him not wanting to bring his friends here. I wouldn’t want to bring anyone new here either.’ Kagome and Sango had been friends since their kindergarten days and Kagome was still embarrassed to have her best friend walk into the meager apartment.


Kagome reached for her purse, an “Oh crap!” escaping her lips as her fingertips overshot it and knocked the small leather satchel over. It’s contents spilled all over the table and onto the floor, and Kagome muttered a few chosen words as she crawled around the coffee table to pick everything up. She returned everything back to her purse and picked it up, then stood up and made her way to her bedroom. She hung her purse on her doorknob and turned back around, this time heading toward the bathroom when her foot kicked something solid.


“Hey, what’s this?” she asked aloud as she picked up the small glass jar. “Oh yeah, this is the stuff Kouga had earlier. I must have forgotten to give it to him.” She closed the bathroom door behind her, turned on the water and waited for their ancient hot water heater to kick on while she looked over the jar.


Little about it, or the pinkish goo inside it, had changed since the first time she saw it and once again Kagome found herself wondering what it was exactly before a sudden idea came to her. “Maybe it’s some sort of facial mask,” she determined as she unscrewed the lid. She took a delicate sniff and was surprised to find that it smelled a lot like orchids and water lilies. She sniffed it again then took her finger and swirled it around the goo’s surface. The liquid was cool to the touch and silky, like talcum powder. To her, it felt nothing like what it looked and once again Kagome wondered what it was supposed to be.


“I’m not going to keep messing with it,” she said to herself as she sat the jar onto the side of the tub and washed her hands. “If it’s some sort of beauty product, then maybe the lab’s not ready to try it on human subjects yet. No use getting a rash or anything.” Kagome ran her hand underneath the tub’s faucet and sighed happily, the water finally at the right temperature, before stopping up the tub and reaching for a nearby bottle of bubble bath. Soon Kagome was soaking the day away, a blissful smile on her lips and the little jar forgotten as she closed her eyes and placed her diskman’s headphone’s into her ears.

She raised one foot onto the side of the tub, unaware of the little jar as it slipped down from it’s perch on the tub’s ledge and sank underneath the fragrant bubbles. Kagome hummed happily, her eyes still closed, as the water around her turned a gentle pink. The bubbles happily sparkled under the pink glow and it wasn’t long until Kagome was fast asleep.


(II)


“Hold up,” Inuyasha interrupted as he glared a hole into the doctor. “Say that again, and this time in straight Japanese.”


The doctor stammered at the request, tiny beads of sweat forming on his bald brow as he shuffled nervously underneath Inuyasha’s piercing stare. “We-we don’t know what’s w-wrong with him.”


“And just why the fuck not!” Inuyasha demanded hotly. “Just what do you numbunts do all day, stand around with your fingers in each other’s asses?!” He groaned when they did nothing but fidget, their eyes shifting from one to the other before he threw up his hands and stormed down the hallway toward Sesshoumaru’s room. The hospital staff avoided him like the walking plague, the startled fear shone on their faces as they quickly merged toward the wall out of his way. Inuyasha mumbled the entire way down, his complaints and curses trailing behind him like the remnants of a thunderstorm as he flung open the door to Sesshoumaru’s private suite and plunked down in one of the room’s many chairs.


“Incompetent asses,” he growled and dug his nails into the chair’s hardwood arms. “I can’t believe them! ‘We can’t wake him up,’ they said! ‘We don’t know what’s wrong with him,’ they said! Useless!” He sighed and closed his eyes, the blaring florescent bulbs above his head painful to his smarting orbs before fishing a pair of shades out of his suit jacket pocket. He scooted closer to Sesshoumaru’s bedside and looked down at his older brother. He shook his head at how weak he seemed, how pale his countenance appeared to be as he lay there sleeping. Tiny blue veins crisscrossed their way underneath the paper thin skin of Sesshoumaru’s hands and eyelids. His nails were clean, short and well taken care of, and they glimmered like glass in the harsh light.


Inuyasha looked up and winced, the force of the light blinding him immediately. He snapped his eyes shut and frantically searched for his shades, a merciful sigh escaping his lips as he slipped the dark lenses over his sensitive lids. “What the hell...” he wondered, and for a moment thought to bring his sudden sensitivity to the attention of the hospital staff before huffing in disgust.


“Yeah right,” Inuyasha mumbled and leaned back in his chair. “Like they’d know what to look for. It’s obvious they’re having trouble as it is.” He sighed again, this one weary and worried as he glanced toward his silent brother and frowned. “You’ve got to wake up Sesshoumaru,” he whispered softly, his eyes downcast and sad. “I’ve gotta get you out of here, but I can’t if you don’t wake up.” He watched, waiting for some sign, then sighed and stared up at the ceiling. He stared into space, his thoughts a million miles away, and jumped at the sharp, barking cough that suddenly filled the room.


Inuyasha glanced down and grinned as Sesshoumaru continued to cough, his eyes squeezed shut and one of his pristine hands covering his open mouth. “Ewww,” Inuyasha grimaced and reached over to help Sesshoumaru sit up. “Damn, germ, spread your disease somewhere else.”


Sesshoumaru’s coughing fit finally subsided, his scrunched up features relaxing as his lungs greedily sucked in the air previously robbed from them. “Get away from me,” he hoarsely groaned and tried his best to shove Inuyasha away. He drank deeply from the glass of water in Inuyasha’s hand then shoved that away too. “Go torture someone else brat. Did you even shower this morning?”


“Yeah, I did for your information,” Inuyasha countered and returned the glass to the bed’s sidetable. “But that was this morning. It’s got to be at least eight or nine o’ clock in the evening.”


Sesshoumaru’s brow wrinkled in surprised and attempted to open his eyes. He winced and shrank back from the light, his pale arm coming up to shield his sensitive eyes. “What’s going on Inuyasha? Why are my eyes so sensitive?”


“You’ve got me,” Inuyasha answered as he rushed to turn the overhead lights off. He fumbled around in the dark for the table lamp beside the bed, but jerked back when it came on without him. He watched as Sesshoumaru’s fingers fluttered away from the lamp’s switch, the sparse light glittering off of his fingernails. ‘Hey, his eyes hurt too,’ Inuyasha noted as Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and pressed his index and middle fingers to the center of his forehead. ‘And what’s the deal with his nails? Were they that long before?’


“Where are we?”


“Wha?” Inuyasha stammered, surprised at Sesshoumaru’s groaned intrusion into his thoughts. “Oh, right. We’re in a hospital.”


“Wha-“ Sesshoumaru paused, an earsplitting yawn interrupting his train of thought before he could go on. “What happened?”


“Well,” Inuyasha began as he returned to the chair at Sesshoumaru’s bedside. “What do you remember?”


Sesshoumaru sniffed again, his nose wrinkling as if offended, then said, “I remember the plane to the Amazon, our guides and our porters. I remember the temple and ...”


“And falling into that weird glowing purple crap, right?” Inuyasha guessed.


Sesshoumaru nodded.


“Guess what?” Inuyasha replied. “That’s all I remember too. Well, not exactly. I remember you falling in, then me trying to get those bastards to help me fish you out. They ran like cowards-“


“Then it is good we did not pay them their entire fee,” Sesshoumaru interrupted. Inuyasha smirked mischievously. “Yeah, I know. Anyway, from what I was told, they found us at least fifteen miles up stream. Some tribe found us and plucked us out of the river. By the time our porters found us we’d been unconscious for at least a week.


“The tribe told the porters, who told the doctors, who told me when I woke up last week, that we were found with this weird purple powder all over us. The tribe’s shaman spend days trying to wash the stuff off and we glowed for a least a full day after it was all gone.”


“Glowed?” Sesshoumaru repeated, his voice distant and fogged. “Why?”


“The hell if you or I know,” Inuyasha grumbled. “The doctors in Brazil don’t know what’s wrong and the doctors here can’t tell me what’s wrong. Here’s the kicker Sesshoumaru...in all, we’ve been out of it for almost five weeks.”


“Work?” was Sesshoumaru’s first question and Inuyasha smirked in response. “Work is fine. Kagome has everything under control, as always.”


A short, tired laugh was Sesshoumaru’s response while he rolled over, a small smile on his normally passive face as his conscious slipped farther away. He mumbled something, what Inuyasha could have only guessed, and softly exhaled.


“Hey Sesshoumaru?”


“Wha...”


“ ;Um...are you feeling alright?” Inuyasha placed a concerned hand on Sesshoumaru’s shoulder and was surprised when Sesshoumaru struck out. His hand was lightening quick, almost too quick to be seen, and knocked Inuyasha’s hand away.


“Yeah, I’d take that as a yes,” Inuyasha growled distantly. Something dark winked at him from Sesshoumaru’s pillow, and he pocketed his shades to see what it was. He reached down, chocolate orbs warily watching for any movements from his sleeping brother, and plucked the darkness free.


‘It’s...hair,’ Inuyasha discovered as he lifted the onyx strands closer. He looked down again when Sesshoumaru shifted and reached down again. He quickly ran his hand through Sesshoumaru’s shoulder length hair and gaped when he pulled free a handful of his brother’s normally healthy hair.


“What the hell...” he said to himself, his eyes widened in horror. He dropped the hair, his concern for his brother only heightening when Sesshoumaru huffed in his sleep. “Why is this happening? What the hell’s going on?” Inuyasha whispered aloud, then frowned in determination. “I done with these people,” he said as he quit the room. “I’m signing him out of here. It’s time to go home.”


(III)


“So,” he said to himself as he stepped off of the plane. “This is Japan...ah, much has changed since my last visit.”


“Konban wa sir.” He turned and smiled at a nearby customs agent as she bowed in greeting. “How are you this evening?”


“I’m fine,” he answered, then repeated his answer in Japanese. The attendant smiled again and nodded. “Is this trip for business or pleasure?”


He sighed, his golden eyes distant as he stared out into the city beyond.


“Hopefully, my dear,” he finally answered with a casual grin. “It will be more pleasure and less business.”



(End Chapter)


Little Muse: SF-chan?


SF: Yeah? What is it?


Little Muse: pointing to Shippou and Rin We’d like to know if we’re in the story.


SF: Um...I’m really sorry kids, but you’re not. No young dudes aloud.


Shippou: Awww, that sucks!


Inu-chan: pushing Shippou aside Yeah it does don’t it? Say, what’s the big idea with me bein’ all brotherly and crap with Sesshoumaru? You know I hate the guy.


SF: red tail swishing angrily Yeah, I know but it’s important to the story that you two sorta get along. Trust me, you guys are gonna really get down later on in the story. For right now you’re too sick to do any real damage to each other.


Kagome: Who’s the new guy?


Miroku: What new guy?


Kagome: The man that’s arrived by plane. Who’s he?


SF: Ah, who is he indeed. flicks red ponytail back You guys will just have to see-


Inu cast: Awwww

SF: Now, now. Trust me, I’ve got everything planned. There’s lots to be done with this story, so just stay patient and bear with me. Oh, and the preview for the next chapter is below.


Chapter Three: Souta finds his sister in a dangerous position, the Endo brothers notice further changes in their appearance and the unknown visitor gets closer to his destination.