InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ War's Shadow ❯ Motivation ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter 14 - Motivation

"You seriously didn't know, Inuyasha?" Shippou inquired incredulously, eyeing the half-demon who was seated beside him under the massive magnolia tree.

Inuyasha was in sulk mode, seated on his feet, arms shoved into his sleeves, and glowering at the ground in utter consternation. Early summer sunlight was beaming down on the back of his head, warming his ears, and making him madder by the second.

"Shut up! Are you saying you did?" he demanded, his head coming up to challenge Shippou's suggestion that he had been, quite likely, the last person to know about his own child. How could I not have noticed? he moaned internally.

"Of course!" Shippou insisted smugly.

"Then why didn't you say anything?!" Inuyasha snarled at him. In his mind, he imagined that all of Japan had successfully figured out what, apparently, had been under his own nose, and was collectively waiting for him to figure it out.

"You're always telling me to keep my mouth shut!" Shippou said defensively. "Besides, I didn't figure I'd have to tell you! Man, you get dumber every day---ow!" he screeched, clutching his head after Inuyasha took a moment to thump him.

"Better to hear it from you, than from him," Inuyasha hissed, the wicked gleam of evil intention shining in his eyes as he gleefully imagined Sesshoumaru meeting all manner of painful and sufficiently humiliating ends.

"Him?" Shippou mumbled around the lollipop he was sucking on, a cherry one that had been surreptitiously snatched from Kagome's backpack.

"My bastard brother. God dammit…no wonder he's been so smug lately," Inuyasha said feverishly, as though the very thought was making him ill.

"You heard it from Sesshoumaru? That's the worst."

"Nah, it's not even that decent. I heard it from Kagome who heard it from Sesshoumaru. I just wanna pull those pointy ears right off his head," Inuyasha grumbled, hunching over even further. "Gah … I can't even look at him."

Shippou shook his auburn head wonderingly, as though sizing up Inuyasha's potential. "I can't believe you're actually gonna be someone's Dad. I think that's the scariest thing I've ever heard. You're terrible with kids."

"I didn't warp you too much," Inuyasha reminded him, still smoldering over having been left so completely out of the loop.

"Yeah, but you're not my father. More like a jerk brother who just looks for opportunities to beat on me," Shippou said conversationally, watching as, in the distant field, Ashitera scampered around, her head barely visible above the tall grass.

"Heh! So? I've got one of those, too, and I turned out okay." Inuyasha exhaled a frustrated breath, thinking back to that unexpected conversation with Kagome. He could honestly say he had never been more astounded in his entire life…or more…what? Proud? And…afraid, he could admit to himself. His concern for Kagome's safety had now reached epic proportions of paranoia. He had a responsibility to more than one person now… "I knew something weird was going on with her, but I was…distracted," Inuyasha revealed in a less agitated voice. "I just wasn't paying enough attention. I was too busy working myself up over Sesshoumaru's problems becoming my problems."

"I think that's why Sango and Miroku suggested I come check on you. They know how you are," Shippou said. "You're not exactly the most observant guy, ya know." He caught the evil look Inuyasha sent his way and immediately raised his hands defensively, "Hey, how was I supposed to stay quiet about that forever?! It's not my fault you're an idiot---owwww!" Shippou gritted his teeth as Inuyasha whacked him upside the head once more. He rubbed furiously at the growing lump.

"So … is she coming back with me then?"

Some mode of self-preservation seemed to seize Inuyasha as he cast quick, panicked looks around to make sure Kagome wasn't in hearing distance. "Don't say that so loud! She's been sitting me constantly ever since she told me. Don't even go near that subject with her."

"Then she's staying with you?" Shippou asked uncertainly.

"Yeah … I don't really like it, but I don't have a lot of options," Inuyasha revealed, looking faintly worried. "No offense, but I don't trust her back in the village with you lot. I could stuff her down the well, but I'd have to seal the damn thing to keep her from coming right back through. She'll be safe with me. I've always taken care of her. Nothing's changed," his voice ended the statement with an upswing in bravado.

"You sound really sure of yourself there, Inuyasha."

"Shippou-chan, are you hungry?" Kagome's voice called brightly, and Inuyasha whirled instantly, guilt written across his face, as she emerged from the trees behind them carrying a small steaming pot of noodles.

"Ramen!" Shippou exclaimed, looking ravenous, eyeing the food with anticipation as Kagome knelt in the grass beside them. "It smells good, Kagome," he said, pausing to inhale the wafting scent. "Inuyasha's going to be a really immature father, but at least the kid won't starve."

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

"If you'll hold still I'll wash your hair," Rin offered the squirming Ashitera, who appeared to be much more interested in dunking under the stream's light current to look for water-polished rocks than in getting herself thoroughly clean. The sun was beating down on them from above, casting a glare off the water's surface and making the entire bathing process very warm and comfortable.

As Rin's words registered in her ears, the little girl's head popped up out of the water and she became the model of an obedient child. Rin reached for the bottle of hair-washing liquid Kagome had extracted from her backpack and began lathering up Ashitera's shiny black hair in massaging handfuls. The child seemed to enjoy the attention … until a very flowery scent filled the air. She then wasted no time in plugging her nose.

"It smells!"

"It smells nice, though, right?" Rin asked with a frown, pausing uncertainly at Ashitera's reaction.

The girl vehemently shook her head, squinting her eyes as though to hold off the offending odor, and made a desperate attempt to dunk herself back underwater.

"You don't like it at all?" Rin asked in surprise. She thought it was a lovely scent ….

"It's too strong for her nose. I can smell it over here," Sesshoumaru spoke with measured disinterest from where he was seated against a tree not far away, eyes cast away from the two girls. Despite Ashihei's death, Rin got the clear idea that he still did not trust her being alone near the water, which was evidenced by the fact that he had wordlessly appeared within moments of them having stepped into the relatively shallow stream. Weighing privacy against safety, she would gratefully accept him being nearby, but it was difficult overcoming her own modesty. But, at this point, it's not as though it is something he hasn't already seen….

"I'm sorry," Rin apologized sincerely to Ashitera and her offended nose. "I didn't even think about that," she explained, quickly scrubbing the long strands clean of the floral-scented soap.

Ashitera's head resurfaced with an inhalation of air. She reached for a handful of hair, sniffed it, made a horrible face, and promptly sunk back under the water again. This time she stayed under so long that Rin finally grasped her around the waist and pulled her back up. She surfaced with a shrill giggle, then turned her sopping head in Sesshoumaru's direction.

"Hey!" she called loudly, splashing her hands through the water in an effort to get his attention. Her violet eyes blinked at him when he made no effort to so much as turn his head in her direction. "Heeey!"

This time his head did turn and he leveled a cool amber stare on the child from where he was patiently seated. "Are you addressing me?" he inquired of her with frosty nobility.

She gave a few vigorous nods, watching him intently. His eyes turned to Rin.

"Teach her my name. I do not respond to 'Hey'," he informed her, eyebrows rising some when his request was met with a slow, amused grin.

"You should come swim!" Ashitera suggested, either not understanding the reprimand or ignoring it. Her attention was momentarily diverted when a frog scampered out of the water and began hopping madly toward the grass, as though pursued. Her eyes reverted to Sesshoumaru once more when he responded in that same measured tone.

"I don't swim."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not a child."

"Are you old?"

"Excessively."

Ashitera cocked her head, as though not buying his reasoning. "You don't look very old."

"I age well."

"Do you not know how? I can show you!" Ashitera offered, as though coming to the conclusion that no one with the capability would choose not to swim on such a lovely day.

"I am able to swim very well."

"Then why don't you?"

Rin watched Sesshoumaru as his frustration began to grow exponentially. She was very proud of him, actually. He was completely unaccustomed to being continuously challenged by someone, but he had been displaying sainted patience with Ashitera, who appeared to regard him as some great puzzle that needed to be dismantled and put back together in order for her to understand him.

Sesshoumaru was spared having to come up with a reply when Kanaye appeared from the woods. Ashitera reacted to his arrival with a look of slowly-building concern. Without warning, she lifted one small finger, pointed at him, and screamed an accusation of "Ogre!"

Kanaye's head swiveled in their direction and Rin instantly ducked under the water until it reached her neck. His eyes lit on Ashitera as though she was some filthy, smelly creature he hoped would not try to touch him. Rin gave him an apologetic look as she wrapped her arms modestly around herself, unsure of exactly how good his view was from that vantage point. "Inuyasha taught her that, not me," she explained.

"Do I look interested?" he replied coolly before turning his attention back to Sesshoumaru. He crouched down on his feet and said something quickly, words that seemed to catch Sesshoumaru's attention.

"Rin, go get your things. We're leaving," Sesshoumaru announced as soon as Kanaye had finished speaking and evaporated back into the forest.

Sesshoumaru waited as she quickly helped Ashitera out of the water and went about fully clothing herself. She tied her damp hair out of her face and wordlessly hurried back to their encampment. Unfortunately for him, she left the girl behind.

From where she was seated on the stream's sandy shore, Ashitera turned to look at him with great interest. He glanced away from her, intent on not encouraging her any further but she rose to her feet and began walking toward him, very somberly, as though aware that he'd rather she go away.

She smells like them, he thought distastefully. Eizan, Ashihei, Elif … and the lingering scent of that horrid flowery abomination Rin had been soaking her in. His eyes narrowed in annoyance.

She dropped down to her knees under the tree, just inches from him, her wet feet caked in brown sand. Her hair was tangled, but shiny and clean under the beaming sunlight that alighted on the unlikely pair. She watched him with wide-eyed silence for so long that he finally turned to look at her, wondering what it was she seemed hesitant to tell him.

"It smells bad," she commiserated, wrinkling her nose distastefully at the stubborn flowery smell.

"It will fade," he muttered. The skin on her hands was pruned from long exposure to the water, something he noticed when his sight locked onto her sly attempt at reaching toward the end of the furred pelt that lay over his shoulder. She seemed suddenly fascinated by it, fingers drawn to it, then without his having to reprimand her, she quickly pulled her hand back and smiled innocently at him.

You are such an odd little girl ….

She heaved a great, dramatic sigh then, as though it had taken exhausting restraint on her part to refrain from touching the pelt, and sat down fully, back against the tree, imitating his posture. There was utter quiet for several long, beautiful minutes, long enough for him to almost forget that she was there…

"Can I…?"

"No."

Another heaved dramatic sigh. It was amazing how very remote and detached she was one moment, and then the next made herself inordinately familiar with him. It was as though she was unsure whether she liked him or not. Not that he cared, he reminded himself. She was going to be gone as soon as he could feasibly arrange it.

There was another long silence and then her voice came again, this time definitely subdued, like an old soul in a small body. "I'm not supposed to be out tonight," she said very quietly, uncertainly.

"Because you will turn human," Sesshoumaru replied, glancing sideways at her. It was the smell of someone fading, shifting into someone else. It was a strange, disconcerting scent, one he recognized from having been around Inuyasha in the hours before his unfortunate reversion to human form.

She gaped at him in complete astonishment, leaning forward on her knees once more. "I'm not supposed to tell!"

"You would be surprised at what I know without you having to tell me anything," he said, prompting a questioning expression from her.

"I'm supposed to stay in my room tonight."

"You don't have a room any longer. There's no place for you to hide now," he answered, looking outward across the water as the movement of the overhanging clouds caused them to pass overhead, casting them into shadow, blocking the sun's heated rays.

The truth of his words seemed to strike her suddenly. She looked afraid, and Sesshoumaru wondered exactly what Ashihei had told her about turning human; likely some nightmarish story that would make her want to hide and free him of the visual embarrassment that was an illegitimate hanyou daughter in human form. "There's no reason for you to hide," he amended his statement in an attempt to hold off the barrage of fear that was about to be aimed his way, but he was too late.

"But … Ashihei-sama says that youkai eat hanyou when they turn human …."

"Ashihei was an…," he stopped and trailed off before the appropriately descriptive word left his lips. "You won't be eaten," he said with finality.

"How do you---?"

"Because I said so," he barked, a statement that oddly seemed to work when confronting her childish mind. And, as expected, it was enough.

She smiled shyly, eyes falling to the pelt once more, as though irrepressibly drawn to it now that her fears had been alleviated. Her fingers unclenched from fists and relaxed in her lap, as she eyed the soft, white fur, then met his forbidding stare.

"Can I---?"

"No."

------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------

Sesshoumaru wasn't exactly certain what it was that provoked the hanyou into what, a decade earlier, would have been a suicidal act. All he understood was that he had been in the process of turning to address a remark from the miko and had suddenly found the runt's fist connecting with his face. That had created problems on several levels, the first of which had been his utter astonishment that he had not expected it (truly, I am spending far too much time with these people…), the second of which was the look of pure satisfaction Inuyasha plastered across his face when he landed the unexpected blow (now that is simply unacceptable…), the third being the wretched screeching of the women, who called for them to stop while they began the repressed and long overdue process of trying to beat each other's skulls in (one thing at a time…).

It was like a volcano erupting, pent up force and pure aggression exploding in a flurry of swiping claws, swinging fists, and paternity-questioning insults that sent birds fleeing from treetops into the safety of the sky, and the small assemblage of on-lookers into open-mouthed awe.

"What the hell is that about?" Kanaye questioned, blinking interested amber eyes, as though not understanding why a fight was taking place without him. His head turned, sight locking onto a very pensive Kagome who was fixated on the altercation in front of them. "Or is it about you? It doesn't take much to work that brat up, does it?"

"They … were fine just a moment ago," Rin commented uncertainly, although, in retrospect, she supposed everything hadn't been as calm as she had initially thought. She had noticed Inuyasha eyeing Sesshoumaru with smoldering looks for most of the last several days. A relationship of backhanded insults and jeers had degenerated into a heavy silence, one that had apparently built into this display of aired grievances.

Sesshoumaru dodged another fist, making use of his speed advantage, then leapt out of the way of another claw attack. He had no idea of what Inuyasha was trying to accomplish here, since he had yet to draw his sword, but assumed it was an attempt to vent all of that building frustration. He had noticed that the hanyou had been purposefully avoiding him ever since the night he and Kagome had so loudly discussed her placement for the duration, and, honestly, had been glad of it. But, clearly, the half-breed had stewed himself into this meltdown, and Sesshoumaru was quickly growing weary of it.

"Is this the best you can do?" he taunted Inuyasha as he side-stepped another vicious claw swipe that went just past his left ear. "Because when you make such a serious error in judgment, you should back it up with enough force to prevent retaliation," Sesshoumaru snarled, Inuyasha's claws grazing across his arm as he reached to grab hold of one pointed, furred ear and dragged the hanyou to the ground. "Like this," Sesshoumaru hissed, preparing to shove a green-tinged fist into his brother's face.

Inuyasha's throat emitted a growl of pained rage as he wrapped a clawed hand around Sesshoumaru's wrist and dug in for all he was worth, then surged with sudden adrenaline and shoved enough weight off of him to get back to his feet. Sesshoumaru's blurred hand motion was missed by his eyes, however, and he was suddenly sent back to the earth with a ground-crushing impact.

He hauled himself back up and glared at Sesshoumaru, who watched him warily in return. Inuyasha wasn't exactly sure why he had done it … maybe it was the sheer audacity of Sesshoumaru inserting himself into such a private matter … maybe it was more because Sesshoumaru had stuck his nose in his business and then hadn't bothered to inform him of some rather important details. Maybe it was just because he didn't like that revolting, I-was-born-first-and-I'm-better-than-you attitude the jerk always had.

Or, Inuyasha decided, maybe it's just because he's a jackass that needs to be given a thorough beating and I'm the one volunteering.

"Stop wasting my time," Sesshoumaru demanded angrily, interrupting Inuyasha's pondering.

"Stay the hell out of my business!" Inuyasha yelled back at him, fingers itching to choke that superior expression off his face.

"You're angry that I knew something you didn't? And if I had said nothing at all, I wouldn't be seeing this same embarrassing display of temper?" Sesshoumaru inquired disdainfully.

"You should have told me, bastard."

"I don't like you, Inuyasha. I have no desire to speak with you or see you and, as you clearly share my sentiments, why is it that you continue to pester me? Take the woman, return to your village, and leave my sight. I informed her so that she could make use of the information on her own, not to provoke you into another of your thoughtless tantrums."

"You just wanted me gone, huh? There's easier ways to do that, moron. I don't even pretend to get you or why you do things, but you're getting weirder by the day," Inuyasha said seriously, his aggravation fading into sullen acceptance.

"I have not changed, nor has my contempt for you," Sesshoumaru returned maliciously.

"I think you're full of shit," Inuyasha challenged, fanging a wicked grin. "And you're also the meanest son of a bitch I know….damn, grabbing my ears. That was low, Sesshoumaru."

"You can blame your mother for them being so hideously prominent," Sesshoumaru smirked, inciting a gruff "Keh!" from Inuyasha.

Rin blinked in surprise at the sudden cessation in hostilities and glanced over at Kagome, who was frowning in what she guessed was a mirror of her own expression. "That was … a little strange," Rin commented. "Inuyasha must have heard something we didn't, because he doesn't look angry anymore."

Kagome shook her head at Inuyasha's sudden deflation in anger, then shrugged and smiled. "I think they've gotten to the point where they're starting to speak in code, because I missed it, too."

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -

They were heading toward the mountains, that much was obvious. With each passing step the looming stone visages appeared closer and closer, almost as if they were moving to meet them halfway. The jagged peaks stretched upward like clawed fingertips grazing the orange-shadowed clouds. Sunset was coming rapidly, and Rin could see that Ashitera was starting to slow down.

The girl had started out that morning with her usual high level of playfulness, but as the day had worn on, her energy had clearly begun to wane. Sesshoumaru had warned her that the girl was going to take on a human form that night, but Rin had never seen such a transformation take place before and so kept eyeing Ashitera pensively, especially as the two of them began lingering behind the others.

The child looked faintly nervous; her head kept swiveling back and forth to watch the heavy trees on either side, which intertwined to form an impenetrable, leafy wall … a shield for any potential danger that could come without warning.

"I can't smell my hair anymore," she murmured quietly, and Rin understood the fear that was meant to convey the loss of her senses. "Ashihei-sama will be very angry…."

"He isn't here, Ashi-chan," Rin consoled. "Sesshoumaru gave you permission to be out, right?" Rin tried, wondering if it was the rule-breaking that had her so off-kilter. "And he's the one in charge here. Ashihei can't say anything about it."

"He's in charge," the child repeated with a nod, casting an unreadable glance at Kanaye, who, as always, was walking alone off to the side and at a distance.

Pacing ahead of Rin and the hanyou girl, Inuyasha listened in to the conversation. Ashihei had been right to try to get the girl to be scarce on nights when she reverted to her human form; his questionable intentions aside, it was a good thing for the kid to learn. For him, he had always tried to maximize his safety as a child by learning to climb trees, staying out of the way, sleeping upwind, little tricks that managed to get him through that transformation, and he'd managed it each and every time until he'd really learned his attacks. This kid, though ….

He glanced back to eye the girl who was trailing further and further behind, her expression troubled. Rin's trying to be nice, but she's doing the wrong thing, trying to get the girl comfortable with turning human around a bunch of strangers ….

She didn't have any direct enemies, that was true, but hanyou were automatic targets for youkai. He hadn't had any real "enemies" as a child, either … even Sesshoumaru hadn't started causing problems with him until he'd been grown and never when he was human. But Inuyasha had had his share of run-ins with blood-thirsty, hanyou-craving youkai. He'd been lucky to reach adulthood, living on his own as he had.

With damage control in mind, Inuyasha fell back a few steps, arms folded as he walked beside Ashitera. "Hey, kid …."

She glanced up at him expectantly.

"Don't ever tell anyone else. No one needs to know. Ashihei was right to tell you not to run around when you're human."

"Inuyasha…," Rin began, but he went on.

"It's okay for these people to know, although he's questionable," Inuyasha drawled with bland spite as he glanced Kanaye's way, "but no one else. It'll just make your life difficult if a lot of people know."

He was stopped short when Rin grabbed a hold of his sleeve and held him back a few steps, "Inuyasha, don't scare her," she whispered.

His eyebrows rose. "She needs to be scared. I know that better than anyone, don't you think?" He was then distracted by a foreboding scent on the wind … blood, dogs, and the unmistakable stench of wolf….

----------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

She didn't want to be here, she didn't want to do this, but refusing to would have caused Eizan to lose faith in her, or worse, regard her with suspicion. It was a test, Zadi could sense it, an unavoidable one and one she would have to pass with Keito and his army lurking around her.

They were supposed to exterminate those pesky wolves, the ones who had been snooping about, keeping an eye on the border between the west's northern boundary and the north's southern boundary. Kouga, she believed the leader's name was. Zadi had no clear idea of exactly what his place and purpose in this conflict was, but apparently he had made himself enough of a nuisance for Eizan to request his death.

A cool evening wind blew around the mountain as Zadi's horse trekked a plodding pace at some distance behind Keito, kicking up small clouds of dust from the dry earth. She turned her head to peer over the side of the crevice that cascaded down that side of the mountain, a steeply sloping grade that cut off abruptly into a long dive. A frothing river snaked its way through the steep canyon, like liquid diamond rushing away from its source.

She returned her attention to the back of Keito's head. She had never actually seen him fight before, so did not know whether to be satisfied or concerned that he was leading them into this battle. Strategically speaking, she would have felt better about Kawahira heading this group, but, then again, Keito was dumber than his brother, so it would be better for her if she stayed as distant from Kawahira as possible.

She wasn't certain of precisely what her role was to be in this, since she had heard that the wolves used no true youkai weapons. But there were always inherited attacks and she supposed she was insurance against the possibility of Sesshoumaru and his group showing up. And then what? Try to kill one of them? It would certainly harm her hidden alliance, as Sesshoumaru and Kanaye likely would not greet her predicament with much sympathy ….

She had a sword this time, one she rarely wore but had brought with her from her home village. She was adequate enough with it, but not enough so to match up very well against a youkai opponent. Its heavy, unaccustomed weight hung against her leg, constantly reminding her of its presence. She hated using it …

With no warning to precede the action, Keito suddenly dismounted without even allowing his horse to come to a complete stop. Zadi watched as his eyes turned upward toward the higher cliffs as, behind him, his soldiers took his cue and dismounted as well.

"Wolf leader!" Keito called. "Enough with the sneaking about! Show yourself!"

Motion caused Zadi to turn her head and watch as a dark-haired youkai clothed informally in what looked to be wolf skin appeared overhead, looking down on the assemblage of enemies as though he was a lord about to issue orders.

"You accuse me of sneaking, mutt? You and your people have been creeping around these mountains for months. Care to tell why that is?"

"Come down here and we'll discuss it," Keito invited, drawing his weapon.

It was astounding how fast the wolf was; he was standing above them and, suddenly, within an instant, he was leveling Keito to the ground with a fist that evaded Keito's first wild swing. Zadi slowly dismounted, watching as the soldiers moved to circle the wolf and their leader. There was an unbelievable flurry of fists, feet, and sword swings, few of which connected or seemed to particularly hinder the wolf.

For a long moment, Zadi contented herself with the entertainment that was watching the cocky Keito being thoroughly beaten by a weaponless opponent, but then remembered that losing this fight really wasn't an option, especially without her making some kind of effort. She cast a glance at the soldier nearest her. "Shouldn't you be helping him?" she suggested with some authority, watching as the youkai snapped into action and headed in to separate Kouga from Keito.

But the soldiers never got near enough to grab hold of Kouga. Without warning, a noxious-smelling poison attack sliced through the air, dismembering the three soldiers who had been about to interfere with the fight. Zadi looked upward again and immediately felt a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. Honestly, you do have the worst timing, she sighed internally, watching as Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha leapt into the fray. And, naturally, Inuyasha did precisely what he should not have … he pulled Tessaiga.

Before she could make a decision as to what to do, Kanaye dropped down, blocking her field of vision, sword in hand. Her heart thumped oddly, but she could not place why, a mixture of fear … or anticipation … adrenaline … all three …? She felt terribly exposed suddenly, as one wrong word from any of them would exponentially increase the difficulty of her life … unless she was blessed by Keito's death, and the decimation of his army. And yet that would look incredibly suspicious, her being the only survivor ….

She smiled vaguely at Kanaye's cool expression as he stalked closer. "Let's make this look good, Kanaye," she said very quietly, drawing her own sword, her hand immediately adjusting its grasp as old training took over.

"That won't be a problem," he replied in a frosty voice that unnerved her.

"Please put away your weapon," she requested even more quietly, casting an uncertain look at the others around her. They were distracted certainly, but surely would notice if she did nothing ….

"Are you afraid?" he said with an evil smile, and swung at her with a merciless blow that sent reverberations down her arm when she moved to block it.

"Kanaye," she answered warningly, "don't test me. Not here."

"That's what this is, isn't it?" he said in a venomous whisper. "What will you do, Zadi? Where do your true loyalties lie? I wonder, since they cannot be questioned openly." He stepped back effortlessly as her blade swung just past his throat, then retaliated with a blow that shoved her backward several steps.

"You know …," she said cryptically, afraid to say very much. She inhaled a surprised breath as his sword sliced right past her eye, close enough so that she could feel the disturbance of the blade in the air.

Frustrated with him, she allowed her powers to seek out the sword's youki, and immediately the hilt began to heat up in his hand growing hotter and hotter, but he ignored it and swung at her again, his stare challenging, continuously assaulting like a vengeful, white god.

"Damn you," she hissed. "Why does my loyalty suddenly matter so much?" She blocked another of his swings, but he reversed and came back at her with that youkai speed and this time cold metal sliced right across her shoulder, splitting cloth and skin. She immediately hunched over and grabbed at the wound, allowing his sword one pulse of warning, one he took, because he cursed and threw it away where it exploded in a hail of shrapnel.

"You bitch," he complained, ducking out from under the flying metal and knocking her down in the process. A glance to her side found her entirely too close to the cliff's edge, small dislodged pieces of rock skittered their way down the steep incline behind her, hurtling down toward the river and, from the seething expression on his face, she got the feeling that Kanaye was seriously considering sending her to join them.

He's letting his anger get the best of him, she thought, watching the furious, strangely beautiful face that hovered over her. She blinked and could see the dark, silvery youki that swirled around him, hovering, that strange source of power he drew off of … the same one his anger would allow her to draw off of.

The wound in her arm was sending sharp jabs of pain down to her fingertips. His weight was pinning her down, making it difficult to breathe, and she saw each of them clearly for a moment, each one seeming locked in indecision as to what to do with the other. He raised his hand, claws turning venomously green, but he halted indecisively and she took that opportunity to seize onto his youki. His eyes darkened further at the sudden invasive feeling, like a rope slowly tightening around his neck….

"I don't want …" she breathed, recalling that first night when she had so mercilessly cut him down without provocation, without warning. She inhaled another breath and released him completely. One of them had to stand down, and she was confident it wouldn't be him. "I won't do it." He blinked at her, looking a mixture of vengeful and uncertain.

And then Inuyasha's Kaze no Kizu sliced through the air nearby, impacting harshly with the cliffside. Zadi felt the hard packed rock underneath her back give way to the trembling of the reverberating attack. She never knew if Kanaye simply did not react quickly enough to save himself the fall, or actually acted with the intent of helping her, but she felt his hands twine themselves around her forearms in a deathgrip as they shot downward with the cascade of spiraling, dislodged rock. A curtain of dust came with them, forcing her eyes closed.

One of his hands released her arm as he seemed to reach for some sort of handhold to stop their descent, but one hand, claws and all, was not enough to fully halt their forward momentum. His abused fingers finally grasped the very edge of an outcropping chunk of rock, but it left them dangling over the precipice. Below them, water roared from the river, and Kanaye found himself in a frustrating predicament, dangling awkwardly with no way to gain enough leverage to shove himself off of the side. Zadi hung below him, her wrist grasped in the hand he was now unable to use to pull himself back up. And it was then that he cursed his wretched nephew and that appallingly convenient ability to fly.

Let her go, came his first thought. Why bother? It'd certainly solve the problems she gives me. Without conscious command, his right hand tightened around her wrist and his left hand slid, claws digging into little more than packed sand.

"You'd better hope you're sturdier than you look," he said with grim humor, angling his head to eye the unforgiving drop that was left below them, "because this is going to be a bad fall."

"There's no reason for you to ….," she panted, looking up at him and coughing from the mouthful of falling dust she inhaled. If he would just release her, he'd likely be able to claw himself back up the side. Zadi was astounded that she was still there at all. Just moments earlier he'd been considering dispatching her permanently ….

"Heh … I'll be fine. I've done worse than this," he gruffly replied. "It's damned near impossible to kill me. You should know that better than anyone."

"Kanaye …"

"We've all got to do what we can. Someone's got to watch my girl. I know what I'm doing, so shut up."

What is he doing? she thought, panic surfacing for the first time. Now he chooses to be the nice guy? Completely disconcerted by his intent to fall with her, she reached up with her other hand and dug her fingernails into his wrist. "Don't be---!"

"Damn, you're the stupidest woman I know!" he roared at her, releasing his tenuous grasp on the cliffside. Air rushed past them once more, a violent whooshing sound that assaulted their ears. Kanaye hauled her upward, eyed the oncoming river, and then flipped their positions so that he impacted first, striking a wall of water that immediately degenerated into chaos.

----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

She had promised to stay back, as had Kagome, and both had yet to interfere in any way, since Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru, and Kouga all appeared to have matters well in hand, but out of the corner of her eye, she could see that Kagome was tensely clenching her bow in one hand, as though waiting for the moment when she might be forced to use it.

Rin was crouched on the ledge, looking out on the battle, the wolf at her elbow, one hand wrapped around Ashitera's arm, only half-listening to Jaken's raucous gloating whenever Sesshoumaru would dispatch one of the northern dogs. For a reason she did not understand, Kanaye seemed to be focusing all of his attention on Zadi, who appeared vaguely nervous, as though unsure of what to do about him.

She heard Inuyasha's voice call something and then looked on in a mixture of horror and amazement as Kaze no Kizu ripped through rock and earth, disintegrating a very large portion of the cliffside, forcing Sesshoumaru to leap backward as his opponent, the remains of Inuyasha's target, and Kanaye and Zadi disappeared in a rushing cloud of dislodged rock, dust, and confusion.

She blinked in an attempt to clear her sight so that she could locate everyone again, but with the clearing of dust came ominous shadows that descended on her without warning. Instinctively, she shoved Ashitera backward and reached for the hilt of her knife. The wolf snarled and leapt at the first of the assailants, lunging for its throat.

Rin cast one panicked look at Kagome, who was frowning intently, arrow in hand, and, within an instant, firing it off to purify another enemy. Rin sensed more than felt the youkai before his hand clasped roughly onto her and dragged her toward him, his other arm reaching around to get a hold of her neck.

Weak spot, Kanaye's voice echoed inside her skull and her body instantly reacted to this familiar assault. Rin took advantage of how closely the dog youkai was holding her and quickly shoved her knife's blade into his abdomen. It won't be fatal for a youkai, but I can promise it'll catch his attention, Kanaye's voice reverberated once more.

And catch his attention it did. Unfortunately for her, it caught him so off guard that he took a misstep and went back over the side, pulling Rin with him. The world spun crazily as they rolled down the steep incline, sharp rocks digging unforgivingly into her back and shoulders. He refused to release her, seeming intent on taking her with him the entire way. Rin instinctively tucked her head in as he did all the work of trying to halt their bruising descent.

Wait for a moment when he is off guard, vulnerable, then strike to kill him, not to wound, because he will kill you and gladly so …. Rin heeded Kanaye's words once more, reasserting her grip on her weapon as they slowed. She could hear the battle going on all around her, the sounds of Inuyasha swearing and swords clashing, but just as she had been taught, her face never left her opponent's.

She jerked the knife free of the wound she'd already inflicted and, without hesitation, shoved it cleanly through his throat. His hands fell from her immediately, but she had no time to experience even a moment of relief, because she was grasped from behind … and had disobeyed Kanaye's cardinal rule: never, ever release your weapon.

This grasp, however, was not painful, but protective. She was clutched in one arm, even as his body's fluid movement suggested he had just dismembered another opponent with his unoccupied hand. She experienced a frozen moment of utter relief as her eyes registered the very familiar sight of a red-and-white sleeve and the welcome discomfort of spiked armor poking into her shoulder.

Sesshoumaru backed toward the mountain's wall, shoved her behind him, and released his hold on her with a look that spoke of great exasperation, before turning his attention back to the remnants of Keito's army. Rin stayed where she was placed, seeing little save his back and the movements of his hands as he finished his bloody work.

She finally allowed herself to exhale a shaky breath when a silence, the kind of silence that only comes after death, descended across that entire side of the mountain. Sesshoumaru then turned and looked at her appraisingly, eyebrows raised as though in anticipation of her explanation.

The shock of the entire thing melted away from her and she stepped away from the mountain, trying to peer back up at the companions she had left behind. "Kagome! Ashitera!"

"They're fine," Sesshoumaru informed her calmly, his words verified a moment later by Kagome's voice echoing down from above. Rin turned back toward Sesshoumaru, watching as, in the distance, Inuyasha sheathed Tessaiga and leapt back up to Kagome's ledge. A scrabbling sound caused her to turn and watch as the wolf finished his awkward descent and joined her, panting loudly, a faint coating of tan dust covering his normally chocolate-colored fur.

"Are you?"

"Am I what?" she asked distractedly, turning to face Sesshoumaru's intent expression again. "Oh, yes, I'm all right," she claimed, looking over herself and finding that she had escaped the entire scuffle with little more than scraped hands.

She grinned then, "I'm not sure if Kanaye will be proud or disappointed that he improved my skills enough for me to do that."

He smiled faintly at her accomplishment, and then turned to look over at the partially collapsed cliff as Inuyasha leapt back down to their level with Kagome in tow. Jaken began screeching over being left behind again, his voice the only sound save for Kouga's approach.

Sesshoumaru moved to peer over the jagged remains of the cliffside and Rin joined him, somewhat concerned over how stable the remaining ground would prove to be. She looked over the edge, eyeing the long descent that broke off into a steep drop into the churning river far below.

"Do you think they … fell the entire way?" she questioned, but Sesshoumaru did not answer.

"I guess we'll need to go find him," Inuyasha complained grumpily, coming up behind them. "I doubt it killed him."

"Likely not," Sesshoumaru concurred, certain, though, that Zadi was lying in pieces at the bottom of the gorge. He did not care … save for the fact that now he had only one other place to put the hanyou girl at the end of this war. Elif had better behave herself because now I have definite motive to make certain she stays alive.

"You really think he could live through that?" Kagome asked in quiet awe, coming up alongside Inuyasha.

"He is a youkai," Sesshoumaru reminded her, "and, judging from the trail of claw marks, it doesn't look like he fell the entire way. At worst, he's probably very … irritable."

"All the more reason not to go find him," Inuyasha added.

Sesshoumaru looked up, eyeing the hanyou with obvious annoyance. "Interesting to hear that coming from you, as it was your wild attack that caused the avalanche. Perhaps one day you will actually learn to wield that sword without causing yourself embarrassment."

"And it was my "wild attack" that saved worthless wolfboy over there," Inuyasha growled, swiveling his head to glare at Kouga, who was standing slightly apart from them, arms crossed.

"Who needed your help, Dog Crap?" Kouga sneered. "You and your brother showed up when you weren't wanted or needed. I was doing fine on my own."

"And yet Keito managed to escape, the one opponent you were left to deal with," Sesshoumaru said disdainfully.

"What are you trying to say?" Kouga groused irritably.

Inuyasha found himself sincerely hoping that Kouga would start something with Sesshoumaru, a gleeful anticipation that he was sure was spreading across his face. The entertainment value in that would be nearly worth all the grief he'd gotten from his bastard brother lately, especially since Sesshoumaru was free to beat the living daylights out of Kouga without fear of an osuwari!. Unfortunately, as she was so frustratingly adept at doing, Kagome sensed the growing tension and intervened.

"Kouga-kun, we came to help, not to interfere. I'm sure you would have done the same for us," she offered diplomatically.

Instantly, Kouga's face softened and he quickly reached out to clasp her hands in his, completely dismissing Inuyasha, whose mouth fell open at the familiar display. "Ahh, Kagome," Kouga chided mournfully, "are you really still with him?"

"Take your hands off of her!" Inuyasha roared, certain that his head was in imminent danger of exploding. "She's pregnant!"

"Inuyasha!" Kagome shrieked at him in open-mouthed mortification at the manner in which he triumphantly crowed the news.

"Is it really his?" Kouga asked wonderingly, not releasing her hands. His eyes widened with amazement, as though completely unable to comprehend how such a thing could have been allowed to occur.

"Kouga-kun!" Kagome scolded again, her face falling into a frown of reprimand.

"You bastard, what are you trying to say?" Inuyasha growled, shoving his sleeves up and taking several purposeful steps toward Kouga.

"It doesn't matter, Kagome," Kouga promised with warm sincerity. "I'll outlive him. Maybe once he's gone you'll see a little more clearly."

"We'll both outlive her, moron!" Inuyasha exclaimed, shaking a threatening fist.

"Inuyasha, osuwari!"

Rin winced sympathetically as Inuyasha slammed face-first into the hard-packed ground, feeling a little unnerved at the shifting underfoot. Something warm nudged at her fingertips and she gasped in surprise, turning her head to find the wolf watching her intently, his thick, bushy tail thumping heavily against the earth.

Rin bit her lip against the stern words that wanted to voice themselves, instead recalling his defensive efforts against the northern soldiers that had scaled the ledge to attack them. Wordlessly, Rin reached out a hesitant hand and quickly scratched one of his ears before withdrawing again. "Thank you," she said quietly, but the wolf's ears perked up, letting her know he had heard her words.