InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We can never be ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

*Inuyasha*

I remember the first time I met Kagome. I thought she was Kikyo. It hurt so much to look at her, or even feel her presence. Yet without me knowing she seemed to creep into my heart, leaving a hole every time she left me. I never will admit it, but I am in love with her. Not like I was with Kikyo, for no one could ever take Kikyos place, but it seems that she is a part of my soul. Though she is a reincarnation of my first love, she is different. No heavy past, nor jewel to hang around her like a shadow. Her smile is like sunshine and yet it is dark with the weight of responsibility. As we gather the shards one by one I cannot help thinking, We can never be.

*Kagome*

When Inuyasha stares' at me I have a feeling he is looking right through me. He has already promised his life to Kikyo, so why should I care? I've known from the very beginning that Inuyasha was still very much in love with Kikyo. I guess I never knew until the day I saw them together. Kikyo has come back from the dead and still tries to claim Inuyasha's life. Why must she feel so much hate toward him? It was Naraku, not Inuyasha, who killed Kikyo.

I want Inuyasha to live. I want him to forget about Kikyo, but that can never be. He is stuck between the 2 of us. Yet I realize now he isn't stuck at all. He has made his choice, I just don't want to admit it. Yet I made my choice too. I will stay and help defeat Naraku. I can only hope that Inuyasha will live, even if he isn't with me.

*Inuyasha*

Kagome I search the night sky for answers but the only answer that I need comes from you. I have given my life to Kikyo and I can't go back. I can tell this hurts you, but Kikyo died to kill me, so I must return the favor. We come from 2 different worlds anyway. I could never ask you to become my mate, it would rip you apart. You don't belong with me Kagome, so why do I suffer so? To many times I have told myself these same words, yet I see you and my whole world changes. I can't keep you, but I can't bere to lose you. Yet Kagome every day you give me the same look. The pleading, begging look. Yet I am prepared to go down in hell with Kikyo if that's what it takes. I will no longer hide from my disicion. Kagome I am sorry I can no longer see you anymore. Will I ever be able to say those words? I ask myself this question as I remind myself over and over, we will never be.

*Kagome*

Ohhh Inuyasha. My heart is filled with sorrow. I love you, I realize that now. I can't stand the thought of Kikyo taking you away from me. I wish that witch had never brought her back to life. I wish Kikyo was dead!!!!

But wait!!! Have I become that cold a person? Is this what love does? No, I admit this is out of the ordinary. Yet so is my love for you Inuyasha. You have always protected me, and I have always stayed loyal to you. As hard as your heart was at first, I soften it for you. I think you did the same for me. Though I know we cannot be together I still hope that you will see I will always be by your side. I am always with you.

*Inuyasha*

Kagome I watch you as you sleep. It's the only time I can look at you and see who you really are. You are Kagome, and you will never be Kikyo. You will never have her gracefulness or her trouble fitting in, yet in your own way you have grabbed my heart. I never want to see you hurt, yet everyday I hurt you. I sense your pain and it angers me. Why have you chosen to stay with me? I want you to, but your pain is my pain. I continue to watch silently trying to send you messages. You deserve better than me. I am already promised away, my life has been sold. You could go away and forget this place, forget about my foolish mistakes and heartless way of thinking. Selfishly I feel happy you stayed with me, willing to help me. Yet as I repeat over and over, We can never be.