InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Welcome To The Machine ❯ Conversations With Death ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Welcome To The Machine

Chapter VII: The Oracle


"I know you want to, Inuyasha."

The soft tip of Kagome's nose gently caressed Inuyasha's cheek, moving up and down in small circles. The stupor of the drug was gradually wearing off but Inuyasha was still very confused as to how Kagome was here and why she looked so much older. This older Kagome was tempting him and enticing him for some reason. Her whispers echoed about the dark cave they were in, alone.

"What are you doing? Where are we, Kagome? What's goin' on?"

"Oh, questions, questions. So sorry, my love, but I have no answers for you. Come." She grabbed his hand and led him down a hazy granite corridor into a small pocket, like a room. A small fire burned brightly on the opposite side of the room, and sent some nervous, dancing reflections across the surface of a small pool of water. In the corner, he made out a bed on the floor, and his nervousness grew slightly.

"Sit."

Inuyasha flinched at first when he heard the word, forgetting how she had taken the rosary from around his neck herself. He did as told and sat on the cloths. His mysterious guide bent down toward him, her eyes dancing like moonlight, her eyes bent slightly, almost shyly downward. Then she kissed him.

The world was a polyphony of subterranean sounds, echoing around him, slurring into one another. Soon, the drip drip drip of moisture in the distance melted softly into the unidentifiable scrapes and rustlings that one might hear beneath the bosom of Nature.

The kiss was mostly one-sided at first, but as Kagome's soft body fell on his, pushing him down to the bed, Inuyasha's natural instinct as a part animal and, more importantly, as a man, took over. When he was mentally on the brink of total abandon, Inuyasha resecured control and pushed her off. He stood, somewhat shaken, and looked down at her. Could this really be his Kagome? The one he had a vague recollection of saying farewell to what seemed like only hours ago?

Kagome looked up at him with set eyes, staring right at him, her emotions tempered inside of her and under control. He glanced at her relaxed figure, realizing how much more mature she seemed. Then he looked forcefully into her eyes. There it was again. Kagome suddenly seemed very shy and her eyes turned downward.

"What's wrong with me?" She looked back up at him, but wouldn't look straight into his face.

"What do you mean?" His voice was somewhat annoyed/disconcerted, and that made her become quiet again. After a long pause, she restated her question.

"What's wrong with me? Why don't you want to be with me?" Inuyasha noticed a slight quiver in her voice, and that disturbed him.

"How can I know that it's really you?"

"I told you. I have no answers for you, but I expect them from you. So don't answer a question with a question."

"There's nothing...wrong with you, but I obviously don't know you . I know Kagome."

"But I am Kagome!" She looked as though about to cry, and looked, crestfallen, back to the floor. "I thought I was your Kagome."

"My Kagome is five hundred years in the future, never to return. I've said my goodbyes to her once, and I'll not say them again; so, whoever you are, you can't be her."

"You're right." She said, coming to a realization. "I can't be her. But I was her, seven years ago, until I came back here. Because of you, because of you!"

"I haven't asked, but you just answered a number of my questions." He turned to leave the cave.

"I'm sorry." She called after him. He stopped and turned to look at her. A pleading look spread across her features in the ruddy glow of the dying fire.

"For what?"

"This."

Suddenly, the world was black once again, and Emi and Kagome, master and former apprentice, stood over the prone body of the half-demon.

"Very nice acting job, love, I must say. Very convincing."

An unsure expression momentarily flashed across the girl's, now a woman's, face.

"Thank you, Emi."


***
Zatoichi was in a fair mood tonight. The beautiful sky above glittered down rains of moondust on his shoulder, and the enchanting Luna sat high upon her perch on this perfect night. There was something very different about this evening. There was a power that one could feel in the air all around. Something big was going to happen tonight.

Dust scraped under his feet while he walked along this lonely path back to his isolated home. Unfortunately, this path, being the only one, went by in sight of The Scar. As the tall reeds thinned along the trail and The Scar could be seen clearly, Ichi wondered what terrible things happened in that evil place on nights like tonight. Nights darker than the blackness in Emi's eyes. Light from the bonfire that almost perpetually burned in the rocky space outside the cave reached Zatoichi's eyes, and the Lonely One remembered something. Something from long ago.

It was seven or eight years ago, as he remembers, that a young girl came to Emi. Emi, or Malia, as she now calls herself, had agreed to take on the child as apprentice. To teach in the ways of the Circle. Soon after, he officially severed all ties with the Circle. It is only at this dark and forlorn place in his life that the old man remembers this fact. He had never gotten a chance to see the girl that had come a few days ago. If he had seen her, perhaps he could be sure of his sister's plans. There was something planned about all this, something...ancient. Just now, at this moment, upon this dusty incline, on this night, something long ago foreseen was set into play.

Zatoichi could not know if the old prophecies were true, but he knew that Emi believed them so. He also knew that his former friend would go to no end to fulfill her selfish desires.

Suzume could not help him at this exact moment, as she was in another village, but Zatoichi decided right then and right there his course of action.

He must destroy Emi.


******

All apologies for the very long delay, due to a combination of being very busy with a small dose of procrastination and a hint of forgetfulness. Any comments, complaints, tips, criticisms, etc. are well appreciated.