InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Are You? ❯ Chapter Twenty-Six: Twins ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Twenty-Six
Twins
 
Towards the end of my pregnancy, I was beginning to feel like I was deathly ill and bedridden—the way the servants and Chiyouta never left my side and wouldn't let me do much of anything by myself. To say that they trusted me to so much as breathe properly would be a stretch of the truth. It seemed as though they had made it their life's purpose to annoy me in any way possible with over-kindness and playing at being nurse maids. It was irritating and unwelcome.
I just wanted them to leave me alone. Was that so much to ask? I certainly didn't think so, but I could be wrong to think that. Hell if I know. It was hard to say what I knew and didn't know right now, unless it was factual. In terms of opinions, my mind was clearly warped. My moods shifted randomly throughout the day and without cause or reason. I often found myself wondering about stupid things—like what the children would be like, what they would look like. Sometimes, I wondered about how things could have been, how they should have been. Just things I ordinarily did not put too much thought in to.
What are you? But it was only a memory of a memory. The voice had left me, never to return. I wondered if it was pleased that I was pregnant, and if it would return afterwards. That was paranoia speaking, though, and nothing more.
I wanted to eat all the time. Sometimes, I wanted it raw, sometimes roasted, fried, in a soup, or on rice, among other things. And if I didn't get it soon, I would get angry and things would get broken.
Chiyouta kept me sedated to keep me in bed. She said that if I was running around, I would damage the child. For a while, I had listened to her and was easy on myself, but then I started to get moody and, I suppose the term would be, rebellious.
My power was being used to protect the children, as was most of my body heat, it seemed. I was always cold, always hungry, and pathetically weak. Needless to say, I was not in the least bit satisfied with the state of my current life.
If Chiyouata hadn't kept me sedated, though, I probably would have killed the twins. When I had a whim, I wanted to go hunting down the demons nearby, or attack a neighboring human village to vent my pointless rage. Not the best things to do in my weakened condition, to be honest. Not that it ever occurred to me until after I had returned home and was being lectured by the old healer. She was really just concerned, though, for my well-being as well as the children's, so she was forgiven the lectures at least.
So, basically, my pregnant life was spent by and large in bed, asleep, or eating like I had survived a ten-year famine. How did women do this?
If I had been born a man, this never would have happened. I would be happier with my life, maybe my father wouldn't hate me, and I wouldn't be generally considered a freak. Damn, I wouldn't be pregnant, sleeping my life away, or eating as if I were getting ready to hibernate either. (Except maybe in the twisted minds of certain fanfiction writers. Hehe.Anyways…) And dogs don't hibernate.
There was something seriously disturbing about pregnancy, I decided. It just wasn't right that something should be growing inside of your stomach. It also didn't seem right that this thing made me act abnormal, as if it controlled me. I determined that an unborn baby was much like a parasite. It latched itself on inside, controlled me, fed off of me, and grew stronger until it either no longer needed me or died.
And why is it that when you are pregnant, people always want to touch your stomach? It was sick, and sickening. What was so great about it? There was a thing growing inside of me like a strengthening parasite, twisting my body to accommodate its own selfish needs and feeding off of me and making me weak.
But at the same time… It was mine. It was like… a piece of me becoming something else—something new.
I just wanted this damn thing out of me—and soon, before I went crazy.
 
*****
My world had become a swirling torrent of pain and misery. My vision was blurry, tears stung my eyes, and I twisted from side to side, back arching as a scream sought to escape my lips. I willed it down, my eyes turning red. I snarled.
“She's going to transform!” I heard one of the servants cry. It sounded distant—far beyond my world of pain. It was like hearing someone shouting over the expanse of an empty desert—a voice carried by the wind, with no definite source.
“Give this to her and she won't,” a familiar, calm voice said. This late into my pregnancy, and now of all times, that would be disastrous.
The pain. It was coming from something inside of me. Get it out! “She's going to hurt herself!”
I felt someone part my lips. It was so distant. Beyond the pain, it was like there was nothing. Something cool ran down my throat. I choked and swallowed, coughing. Finally, the scream pushed its way out. I howled.
I hoped this would be over soon. How long had it been already? I felt something disgusting and I screamed again, feeling the bones inside being forced apart. I gasped, panting and growling. I felt hands holding me down to keep me from thrashing. I heard another scream join my own and I froze. The baby? The red haze cleared and I craned my neck to look, but the pains of labor seized me again.
But I knew what to brace for this time, and with the second birth, I didn't scream. I growled, thrashed, and ground my teeth a lot, but I never once screamed.
I forced myself upwards. The pups? I looked to Chiyuota. She had the firstborn. She gave the child to me. “It's a boy,” she told me. I looked at him. He opened his eyes. They were red—like Naraku's, but he had my smooth, silver hair. It was actually a very lovely combination.
A servant gave me the other one. “This one is a girl.” I peered at the younger of the two. She was his opposite—Naraku's tangled mass of black hair, and my golden eyes.
Perfect. I sighed in relief. I just wanted to go to sleep now. The twins were of like mind, it seemed, because they were asleep in my arms before I joined them.