InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Now? ❯ A Month Ago ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: A Month Ago
 
Fifteen-year-old Kagome Higurashi laid on her twin-sized bed starring at the ceiling of her room at her family's shrine. While she was bodily in modern day Japan, her thoughts walked in the feudal era. Just a month had passed since she had had a helping hand in the final defeat of Naraku, and had returned to her home.
 
The day of the final battle did have a beautiful blue sky; that is until Naraku's evil aura turned it a shade of gray that belonged on no sky. The battle had been long and tiring, but finally, the evil demon breathed his last. When he was at last dead Kagome's shards and his joined together to form a complete Shikon Jewel that fell into an astonished Kagome's hands. Inuyasha slowly sheathed Tetsusaiga as Sango and Miroku hugged each other in happiness. Miroku even managed to plant one small kiss on her before Hiraikotsu came crashing down on his head.
 
Kirara stared up at the now clear sky while Shippo lay unconscious next to her; in a faraway wood, Kohaku collapsed in tears as long forgotten memories flooded back to inundate him. Kikyo too felt Naraku's defeat, and she knew it was time to go. She slipped away on the wind as dust to return to her grave.
Inuyasha's back stiffened, then relaxed as Kikyo's scent disappeared. He was able to turn to Kagome with a smile and say, “She's gone.”
 
“Huh,” Kagome looked up startled. “Who's gone?”
 
“Kikyo,” Inuyasha answered with a calm voice. “She's finally passed on.”
 
“So-o-o Inuyasha,” Miroku interrupted from his seat on the ground, “will you miss Kikyo?”
 
After gazing at the horizon for a minute, he answered, “No. I'm happy she finally rests. Now lets head back. That old hag Kaede will want to hear the news.” Then he bounded off in the direction of the village.
Before Inuyasha had gotten far, Kagome realized that Kirara could not possibly carry her, Sango, Miroku, and Shippo! It would be too much for the poor dear. Anyway, Sango and Miroku might want some time together to talk about things without interruptions from others, Kagome thought. Miroku's kiss and Sango's light swing of Hiraikotsu did not go unnoticed by her.
 
“Hey! Inuyasha! Wait up! I need a lift!” Kagome called out as she began to trot towards Inuyasha who was fifty yards away on the edge of the meadow.
 
“Aww, what for?” complained the stubborn half-demon. “Go catch a ride on Kirara!”
 
“No, I can't! She already has to take Shippo, Sango, and Miroku.”
 
“Well then,” said Inuyasha as he prepared to take off, “walk!”
 
“If you take one more step—“ Kagome began.
 
“You'll what?” Inuyasha retorted densely.
 
Kagome drew herself up as tall as she could, took a deep breath as her face went red with anger and screamed, “SIT BOY! SIT BOY! SIT BOY! SIT BOY! SIT BOY!” Inuyasha was immediately slammed into the ground because of Kagome's words.
 
Miroku sadly shook his head at seeing the depth that Inuyasha's stupidity could reach. However, since there was nothing he could do, he climbed aboard Kirara with Sango and the still unconscious Shippo. After Kagome promised to catch up to them as soon as possible, they were on their way.
 
After Kirara had become but a tiny speck above the tree tops, Kagome headed over to check on Inuyasha.
He was sitting up, mumbling something about a “stupid girl.” He saw not how near Kagome was to him while he mumbled.
 
“And WHAT are you mumbling about Inuyasha?” she demanded to know.
 
Inuyasha quickly drew back. “N-nothing,” he managed to say.
 
“Oh real—hey, what's that?” Kagome asked, pointing at a glint of gold around Inuyasha's neck. It looked oddly familiar.
 
“It's nothin'!” Inuyasha snapped as he hastily pulled on his kimono to hide the gold that he wore. He was to late though; Kagome had recognized what she had saw as the locket she had given him with their pictures in it.
 
“Isn't that—“ she began only to be cut off.
 
“I said it's nothin'! Now hop on. We need to head off back to the village.” Inuyasha said grumpily.
Kagome decided no to push the subject. Besides, she was happy knowing he wore the necklace.
 
Kagome climbed aboard Inuyasha before he went bounding off through the woods. After an hour's travel, Inuyasha and Kagome reached the rice fields of the village. There everyone stopped working in silent respect as two of those who had destroyed the wicked Naraku went by.
 
Those “two” quickly reached Kaede's home. There was a fire inside which Kirara and Shippo slept near. Sango and Miroku sat at far sides of the hut; Sango with a disgusted look on her face, and Miroku with a red handprint on one cheek.
 
“What'd ya do this time Miroku?” Inuyasha ask as he came in.
 
“Why, I'm hurt Inuyasha! That you would suggest that I have done any wrongdoing! Whatever gave you the idea?” Miroku said with an attempt at innocence.
 
“He got the idea,” Kagome said from her place by Sango, “from you FACE.”
 
“Ah, yes! That,” he said, raising a hand to the mark on his cheek. “I was simply trying to show Lady Sango my now Hell Hole free hand.”
 
“So,” Sango said in anger, “not only are you a lecherous monk, but a dishonest one too!”
 
“What ever d—“ began Miroku before Inuyasha interrupted him.
 
“Damn it Miroku! Just stinkin' apologize! I promise to give ya a bald if ya don't!” To emphasize his words, Inuyasha grabbed a handful of the monk's hair and gave it a slight tug.
 
“Okay, okay! Just please don't ruin my good looks!” he pleaded. Miroku quickly begged for Sango's forgiveness, “…and I offer you my sincerest apologies. Just keep this rude person from pulling out my hairrr!” he begged.
 
It was at this moment that Shippo choose to wake up. Looking around half-asleep, he saw Miroku actually apologizing for his…actions towards Sango; seeing that speedily snapped him into complete wakefulness.
“Oh, Shippo! You've woke up! How are you feeling?” asked a concerned Kagome.
 
“Wha-what's going on?”
 
“Oh, that!” seeing the direction of Shippo's stare. “Miroku's saying sorry for being lecherous to Sango! You'll never guess who made him do it.”
 
“Wh-who?” Shippo was so surprised he continued to stutter.
 
“Inuyasha!” shouted the time-traveling teenager. Shippo proceeded to faint from shock. It took several hours and some explaining to get him back to normal.
 
The next day Kagome and Inuyasha were at the well in Inuyasha's Forest. Miroku and
Sango had stayed behind; the battle had taken its toll on them both along with Kirara and Shippo. The walk to the well would have been too much for them.
 
When the half-demon and the girl from-another-time reached the well, she hesitated. Turning to Inuyasha she asked, “Well I suppose you want the Shikon Jewel now to turn into a full-demon, right?”
 
“You keep it Kagome,” he said. Then he pulled her into a quick embrace before setting her in the well.
“Good-bye,” he called before heading off to a favored tree to think
 
Back in modern day Japan, Kagome still lay wondering if Inuyasha wanted her to come back or not. She turned onto her side and fell asleep, dreaming of golden eyes and silver hair.
 
Back in the feudal era Inuyasha lay in a tree staring at the full moon. He was thinking of Kagome; he knew the feudal era was still dangerous for her, but he wanted to see her. But there was also the fact that frankly the Jewel was safer with her in the future.
 
“What should I do,” he wondered, missing the girl who had awoken him from a fifty year sleep.