InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Love and Death Embrace ❯ Like a Kid With a Cookie Jar ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Inuyasha reached down and hauled Kagome and her monster backpack out of the well. After taking a quick peek around the clearing he decided it was safe to sneak in one more kiss before heading to the village.
 
“You do know that if you keep doing that we won't make it back to the village any time soon.” Kagome muttered between kisses, “Not that I'm complaining.”
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha responded, “I have four years to make up for.”
 
“Four years, huh?” Kagome giggled, “I thought that you hated me for the first little while.”
 
“No, I tried to kiss you once before, but you went and shoved me down a hill.”
 
Kagome blushed, “I thought you were doing that because you thought I was Kikyo.”
 
“Pfft, like I would have even been allowed.”
 
Kagome's left eyebrow rose in disbelief. “So you're saying you never kissed her when she was alive.”
 
“I, n-no, what I mean is,” Inuyasha flushed a dark red, “that's beside the point wench!”
 
“No it's not,” Kagome insisted, “now tell me the truth.”
 
“How about a kiss instead?”
 
“Inuyasha.” Kagome's tone told him that if it weren't for the fact that he had his arms wrapped around her, he would have been eating dirt.
 
“Like I told you, I like kissing you!” He insisted.
 
“But what are you comparing it to?” Kagome demanded.
 
“Fine!” Inuyasha growled, “I kissed her once or twice when she was alive! Every other time that we've kissed she's been in the form she is now and she's the one who's been doing the kissing!”
 
“Did you enjoy it?”
 
“Obviously not if I'm kissing you.”
 
“You two have been kissing?” Miroku's voice interrupted them, “I was beginning to wonder what was taking you two so long to return when Shippou said almost half an hour ago that he smelt your return.”
 
“Damn it!” Inuyasha snarled before leaping off into the trees.
 
“Thanks Miroku,” Kagome snapped, “Tell Kaede and Sango I'll be there soon, I want to collect some herbs first.”
 
Kagome stormed past him to the field where the garden lay. She didn't know what she was angrier at, Inuyasha admitting to kissing Kikyo or the fact that he had looked so ashamed when Miroku had spoken.
 
She began furiously yanking on the poor plants when she felt a chill run up her spine accompanied by the familiar feeling of a miko's power.
 
Kagome looked at Kikyo over her shoulder. “If you're looking for Inuyasha, he's not here.”
 
“I actually wish to speak with you, Kagome.”
 
“Um, alright.”
 
The two women sat down in the grass together, the tension between them thick enough that each girl had sparks shooting off from time to time as her aura tried to ease it.
 
“I suppose you know that Kaede is not long for this world.”
 
Kagome nodded, “Inuyasha told me he smelt sickness in her. We've been discussing the possibility of approaching Kaede about me becoming the village miko.”
 
“You cannot take on the position.” Kikyo snapped.
 
“Why because of Inuyasha?” Kagome asked, “You were the village miko once and wanted to be with him.”
 
“Inuyasha was going to turn human so that we could be together; you have not asked him to do so.” Kikyo hissed.
 
“Because he's fine the way he is!” Kagome shouted a little louder then she meant to. “All you people believe is that someone can't be pure unless they are human, female and a virgin. Well I hate to break it to you, purity isn't about being male or female, human, Hanyou or Youkai, virgin or not. I've met people who are everything you claim to need to be pure and they are horrible people. Purity is about emotions and the way someone lives their life!”
 
Kikyo glared at Kagome for a moment, “Either way, the reason you cannot be a village miko is because you do not have enough training.”
 
“So then what you are suggesting is that you come and be our village miko?” Kagome said sarcastically.
 
“No.” Inuyasha's growl interrupted.
 
“Inuyasha it would make sense.” Kikyo said softly, her tone different now that she knew the Hanyou was there.
 
“Fuck no!” Kagome winced at the use of the word he had learned from Souta.
 
Kikyo looked confused over the word but continued. “This is my village Inuyasha, I am a trained miko, and it is my sister that is dying. Perhaps she would wish for me to take over.”
 
“It was your village but you died and if you had stayed that way we'd still be stuck trying to find a new miko. And if Kaede wants anyone to assume the position it isn't someone who has no compassion!” Inuyasha held out his hand to Kagome, “Come on wench, let's go.”
 
Kagome stared at him, completely bewildered by his words and actions. “I will talk to Kaede and see what she says.”
 
She yelped in shock when Inuyasha growled and hauled her to her feet, gripping her hand tightly. “Now Kagome!”
 
Once they were away from Kikyo, Kagome loosened his iron grip and moved away from him. Every time he moved closer, she moved farther away.
 
“Oi, what's wrong with you!” Inuyasha demanded when she moved away again.
 
“We're almost near the village, I figured since the way you reacted to Miroku catching us, you wanted to pretend like nothing was different between us.”
 
“Where did you get a stupid idea like that?”
 
Kagome growled, “I dunno, maybe the fact that you looked ashamed of yourself and then took off!”
 
Inuyasha's face turned a bright pink, “Because I was embarrassed!”
 
“Yeah right.”
 
Inuyasha growled and grabbed her shoulders gently, making her look at him. “I'm not ashamed of anything; it's just that this is how I wanted everyone to find out about us.”
 
Kagome sighed and snuggled into him, catching him off guard, “I suppose the whole village is going to know now aren't they?”
 
“Well if you hadn't taken your sweet time molesting me in the well Miroku wouldn't have come looking for us.” Inuyasha teased.
 
“Excuse me,” Kagome said, pulling away so she could flick his ear, “you were the one who kept pulling me off the vines when I was trying to climb out.”
 
“That was hardly my fault,” Inuyasha insisted, nibbling on Kagome's ear lobe, “It's your skirts, if it wasn't so short…”
 
Inuyasha sighed when he heard her breath catch in a non-sensual way and stepped back. He recognized the look on her face and braced himself.
 
~ * ~
 
“Inuyasha! Sit!” Kagome's scream echoed to the village.
 
Sango looked over at Miroku who had a large smirk on his face, “I wonder what that was all about.”
 
They watched as Kagome stormed past them, muttering something about perverted Hanyou's, making Miroku's smirk grow larger. “Maybe Inuyasha tried to kiss her.”
 
“Yeah right, the day that happens is the day you give up womanizing and I agree to be your wife.” Sango exclaimed as she followed Kagome inside.
 
“Looks like that will happen sooner then you think, dear Sango.” Miroku said softly as he wandered away to help Inuyasha out of the crater he was no doubt lying in.
 
~ * ~
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or the characters of Rumiko Takahashi. I do own the plot of this story along with any original characters that may make an appearance.