InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where Silence Meant Everything ❯ Tama ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~Chapter 14~
Tama
 
Miroku grabbed Sango's hand roughly. He could feel that hateful jyaki entering and filling his senses. “Sango!”
 
At her worried look, he clenched his teeth. Sweat marred his brow and his body was set tight. “H-Houshi-sama!” She let him squeeze her wrist at an uncomfortable pressure. “Let go! I have to get your beads!”
 
He shook his head roughly. She noticed that he lacked the usual grace in which he carried himself. His movements were rushed and forced. Without words he pulled the string of beads from a deep fold in his robes and twisted it around his hand. “Sango, we need to go, and we have to be quick about it. Kazanna is back, and that can only mean Naraku has made his presence known.”
 
The two -Miroku leaning on Sango a bit for support- exited the hut and mounted Kiara. “Houshi, Kagome is creating a barrier!”
 
“Hai, there is no guarantee we will be able to pass through.”
 
Sango just nodded, realizing the best help she could offer her best friend was a prayer.
 
~*~
 
It was between light and dark. He couldn't move.
 
“InuYasha!” He could hear her calling his name, and yet there was not a thing he could do to reach her.
 
Naraku's miasma filled his nose and he nearly gagged. “InuYasha!”
 
Ka…gome… I'm coming… I…
 
“InuYasha!” Her cries were becoming frantic. He willed motion into his limbs, begged them to move.
 
He was caught in between life and the place where Kagome had been.
 
~*~
 
Sesshoumaru pulled Tokijin from his obi and still balanced, ready to strike at a moment's flicker of movement. “This Sesshoumaru will be responsible for your death as his brother was before.”
 
Naraku thick cackle was all the response the demon lord got. Sesshoumaru bared his fangs in response.
 
Kagome could do little more than stare at the two. She could feel the shouki burning her hands, but she refused to let go of the Shikon no Tama in her hands. It had been her who had allowed the jewel to become Naraku's residence. Somewhere after Kikyou dies, a piece of her soul had left also.
 
She held back a screamed. “InuYasha. Inu…Yasha!” His name became a mantra on her lips.
 
In sheltering the jewel, she'd inadvertently created a barrier around herself and Sesshoumaru. He seemed surprised when he turned a glance on her, but seeing her hunched over, her face concentrated to a tight line he turned back to the hanyou before him. “There will be no mercy.”
 
~*~
 
InuYasha finally willed his legs into working, and with that to propel him forwards, he was able to get further through the strange gateway.
 
“Kagome!”
 
He was able to call to her, yet unable to see her. His ear flicked around wildly, and the sense of the Shikon no Tama was heavier, still. He couldn't stay in this blinded state much longer.
 
“InuYasha!”
 
Her voice sent him crashing through the gateway, falling forward. He was dropped, unceremoniously, by the modern schoolgirl.
 
He was going to reach to hug her, to take her emaciated frame to his own body. He wanted to fulfill his promise. He wanted to protect her.
 
The jewel stopped him.
 
He watched her hands burn and blister and she still wouldn't let it go. He let his nose do its work and immediately he scented Naraku. He was standing behind a pile of dirt (grave-dirt was what InuYasha's nose was telling him) and bones.
 
“Kagome… Kagome, are you okay…?” Tears formed at the corners of her eyes as she nodded.
 
Sesshoumaru's voice rang out in the darkened clearing. “Enough. Stand up InuYasha. This Sesshoumaru will fight alongside you. Pull Tetsusaiga.”
 
Kagome held out the jewel. “We have to shatter it again. I can't purify it like Kikyou could…”
 
InuYasha pushed her hand back, reluctantly. He shook his head at her and turned back to his aniki. “Sesshoumaru!”
 
“Come here, if you wish to talk to this Sesshoumaru.” His cold eyes flashed a hint of anger as InuYasha leapt towards him.
 
“Okay, bastard. What's going on?” InuYasha threw Tesusaiga over his shoulder and sparred Naraku a small glance. “If you pull Tensaiga now, and if Kagome had arrows, we could finish this.”
“Finish?” Naraku asked, a mirth evident in his voice. InuYasha could almost feel the other hanyou's miasma lacing his voice. “Surely you jest! You could never finish me!”
Tentacles shot out from under the baboon pelt he had taken to wearing again. His stolen human body must now have been long gone. All at once the battle began.
The two Inu-youkai were dodging the tentacles, knowing that if they cut them, shouki would seep into the air. The human behind them would die.
Kagome, safe behind the two brothers began to look into the jewel. She could see the battle before her playing out inside of the darkened jewel. She gasped. `We're… in the jewel!'
“InuYasha! Did you try to steal the jewel before you got here!?” She had stood and was running to him. “Please!”
InuYasha stopped and allowed her to climb onto his back. Sesshoumaru growled and told him to `Watch your back!' “Kagome, it kept calling me, urging me.” She sighed slowly. “I'm sorry, I am.”
“No. No, thank you.” He was stunned into silence as her arms tightened around him. He kept dodging the flailing tentacles. “If you hadn't touched it when you did, you wouldn't have been here now. It drew you in to release Naraku.”
InuYasha's head sagged a bit. “Oh,” was all he offered.
A loud crash sounded above the small group and Kagome screamed. “Fuujin no Mai.”
Sesshoumaru's eyes grew impossibly wide and he turned. Kagura seemed resigned to what she was doing, but she wasn't enjoying it as she had back when she was more than a walking corpse .
It was short-live, however, as InuYasha knocked the blade away with his sword. “Sesshoumaru, I'll take Naraku, see if I can't weaken him. Go after her and the other.”
“Is that wise, brother?”
InuYasha nodded. “Kagome can purify the shouki and the jewel at the same time, so it will be easier for us to get through.”
Seeshoumaru dipped his head slightly, giving them an affirmative. Kagome immediately shifted the tama to one hand and let go of InuYasha's neck. “Don't let me fall.”
InuYasha rolled his eyes and grabbed her thighs tighter. “I never have!”
He leapt toward Naraku, Tesusaiga drawn and ready for the Koungosouha.
~*~
Author's Note: I mean, really, has he ever? So anyways. I'm posting this rather close to my last chapter, but I figure that I'll just wait extra long on the last chapter. Sound good to you guys?
 
 
It doesn't to me either. ^ ___ ^
Thank you again, InuGrrrl! Every time I read your reviews my face gets that goofy grin, and I know I'm probably getting annoying saying thank you every time, but I just want you to know that your reviews really mean something to me. A LOT of something!