InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wherever You Will Go ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wherever You Will Go

Summary- Inuyasha decides to go with Kikyo, and tells Kagome to go on with her life. She follows his instructions, and turns to the one that's always been there - Miroku.

Author's note- I know full well that Sango & Miroku are engaged in the manga. This occurs post-Kikyo- pre-Sango. So in this story, they are not engaged! (so you could say this is AU-ish)

Disclaimer- These characters do not belong to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

"Goodbye."

That was the last word she heard from Inuyasha, since that night. Naraku had been slain, Miroku's curse had been lifted, and Inuyasha had chosen Kikyo. Kagome felt heartbroken, although she knew that she couldn't keep something that didn't belong to her in the first place. Inuyasha's heart belonged to her incarnate.

But Miroku had stayed with Kagome, especially when the well had been sealed up, leaving her in the Sengoku Jidai forever.

"Kagome-sama, daijoubu?" Miroku's voice cut through her thoughts. Kagome looked up at the priest, and smiled softly.

"Daijoubu," She answered. Miroku sat next to her.

"It's about Inuyasha, isn't it?" He asked. Kagome looked at him, and nodded.

"Hai, it's about him, and my family," She answered. She took a deep breath, and felt tired. "Can I lay my head on your shoulder, Miroku-sama?"

Miroku's eyes widened when she did just that. Usually, she would be huddled in her sleeping bag, crying her eyes out until she fell asleep. But now?

"Of course, Kagome-sama," Miroku answered. He stiffened at the feel of her breath against his throat.

"Could you drop the sama?" Kagome asked. Miroku looked at her confusedly. "It's too formal for me." She gave him a lopsided grin, and all but curled up in his lap. Miroku had never seen Kagome like this before.

"Of course, Kagome-sa-- ano... Kagome," Miroku said.

"Why didn't you leave?" Kagome asked, out of the blue. "Everyone else did. Kaede's village moved away, due to Sesshoumaru's attacks. Shippou went with them. Inuyasha... well, you know where he went, but you... you stayed... why?"

"Because..." Miroku stopped. Why, exactly, did he stay with this girl from the future? "I didn't want you to be alone."

"Arigatou, Miroku," Kagome whispered. "Oyasumi nasai."

Miroku felt her go limp, and he put an arm around her waist. 'Inuyasha, you fool. Look at what you've given up...' was his last thought, before he fell asleep.

*~*~*

So lately, I've been wonderin'

Who will be there to take my place

When I'm gone, you'll need love

To light the shadows on your face...

*~*~*

A/n- Short, but this is the prologue. ^_^ Hope you like! (and if the storyline goes the way I want, I may even be able to add a lemon or a lime in.)