InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Windows on the West ❯ Youkai, Not Ningen ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Youkai... Not Ningen

Disclaimer:  I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

-oOo-

“What is this place?”  Kagome asked, voice low, almost awed.

For a long moment, Sesshoumaru didn't answer, giving her time to consider what was before her.  They were standing on a small hill – one that led up to an approach to what could pass as a small mountain.  Atop it, were ruins – large, grand ruins, of what had obviously been a huge palace at one time... long ago.  

Even ruined, it was awesome.

Finally, the daiyoukai answered.  “This was my father's shiro.”

Kagome's eyes widened, and she stared at the remains, even more fascinated.  “But... what happened to it?”  she finally asked.

“It was destroyed the same night he died, the same way that Inuyasha's mother's family shiro also was.  By fire.”

“Oh,”  she said in a small voice.  It was clear that there was something about this place that drew him – but not in a good way.  She glanced at Jaken, wondering if the toad would say anything, but he didn't, staying back quietly.  Deciding that she would be better served with silence of her own, she found a soft patch of grass, and sat down, folding her hands neatly in her lap.  Rin was also subdued in her manner – she knew when it was time for quiet.

They stayed that way for some time, the stoic Lord doing nothing more than standing where he had been, staring at the ruins with an enigmatic look on his face.  It was decidedly odd... at least, from Kagome's perspective.

If that was his father's palace, why didn't he rebuild it?  I mean... he's the Lord of the West... so why is that place still a ruin?

At that moment, Sesshoumaru glanced at her from the corner of one eye.  “You wish to know why I did not rebuild it, do you not?”  he asked, leaving Kagome to wonder, rather uncomfortably, if he could read minds.  

She nodded, though.

Silver hair swirling around him as he turned his back on the damaged shiro, he moved to sit near the small fire Jaken had started, and stared into it for a time.

Then he spoke.

“This one may walk as a ningen, but he is not one.  Inuyoukai males do not normally live in palaces.  We are spirits of nature, and of the land.”

Her brow furrowed, Kagome asked,  “But then why did your father..?”

“This palace was built for him to live in with his ningen mistress – Izayoi.  She was a hime, unsuited for a life lived off the land.  She could not exist without her ningen comforts,” he said, a cold nothingness in his voice.

“I see,”  Kagome said, a bit sadly.  “So... where did you live?”

He flicked her a quick glance her way.  “When still a pup?  I lived in the palace of my mother.  Inuyoukai bitches are more like ningens – they prefer to live easy.  When I became older, I traveled the lands... just as I do now.”

“Eh, not all ningens are afraid of living outside, ya know,”  she said, almost peevishly.  “Sure, some of the comforts of home are nice,”  she sighed,  “but... I've found that whenever I am home, I miss this place.  Of course, I do like to be in out of the weather...”  she trailed off thoughtfully.

A cocked brow and questioning glance was sent her direction.  “And you think that I do not?  When the weather changes, I have dens that I retreat to – there are several scattered about my lands.”

Dens?  Kagome giggled softly to herself.  How... appropriate.  But then a dark look entered the daiyoukai's eyes, even as he turned them back to the fire.  It left her confused.

“So... why do you come here?”  she asked, not sure he would actually answer her.

He didn't, for a while, staring into the flames as though he'd forgotten the presence of anyone besides himself.  She figured he had... because he was looking into the distant past.

Then... “This place stands as a testament to folly – that is why I have not destroyed it,”  he said finally.

She shook her head at him and sighed.  “Love is never wrong, Sesshoumaru – nor is it folly.”

Golden eyes reflected the firelight as he flicked his gaze up to meet hers.

“It is not that which this one calls folly, miko – it is that he tried to change himself to accommodate another.  For if one has to change who they are merely to achieve such an emotion, it is not worth it – nor is it real.”

Kagome's eyes widened as she took in his words... and suddenly, she understood a lot more about the quiet, controlled Lord.  It wasn't that he didn't have emotions, or the capacity to love... it was that he refused to change who and what he was to gain such emotions from anyone.

They would either take him as he was... or they weren't worth his time.  And that situation with his father was why he viewed love as a weakness.

He's right... a person shouldn't have to change who they are – for any reason.

Clasping her hands together, Kagome nodded.

“I understand.”

He eyed her for a moment, then once more looked away.

“Then you are the first.”

Kagome could only reflect on that statement... and how sad it truly was.

Has no one ever tried to get to know him?  Maybe I really can be the first, then.  

She glanced across the fire at the curled up ball that was Rin and Ah-Uhn.

Well, okay... maybe the second.  

And she smiled as she decided that she could.



Converting /tmp/phpybKq8P to /dev/stdout