InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Windows on the West ❯ Jealousy ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Jealousy

Disclaimer:  I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

-sSs-

Sesshoumaru sat on the backside of the same hill the rest of the group was on with a fire flaring in the breeze, and brooded.  

The dirt miko had finally died again – but instead of taking it in stride, the entire group was grieving.

His brother, he could see.  After all, the fool had been in love with the woman.  But the monk, and the slayer?  And even more incomprehensible...

Kagome?

Why should she grieve for a woman that had tried so many times to kill her?

Granted, the woman had, after being thrown out of the group, appeared to have had a change of heart, and had, in the end, done her best to strike against Naraku, while protecting the others.  For that, he would give her credit.

However... that didn't negate her previous actions.  At least, not in his eyes, and he could find no real compassion in him for the former miko's loss of her half-life.  

He was also not too happy with the presence of the wolf prince, either.  The fool did not seem to understand pack boundaries.  Kagome was his pack – and the wolf was not.  He should not be putting his hands all over the miko without his express permission.

The wolf had not even asked, he had simply moved in on the female alpha of Sesshoumaru's pack, and started calling her things he should not have.

Were he anyone else, the wolf would be dead.  However, Sesshoumaru prided himself on his control, and he had managed to leave things as they were – but only because it was obvious that the foolish male, now that he had lost his shards, would be leaving soon.  For a little longer, he could ignore the insult.

But if the wolf ever tried to cross him again...

He sat there for the remainder of the night, thoughts and irritations seething through his mind, though his expression remained closed.   After listening to the wolf's words, his intimations that he was leaving Kagome with Inuyasha to keep him in line, the next morning, though... he stood, and strode over the top of the hill to Kagome's side the moment the wolf prince dashed off.

Displeasure clear in his voice, he said,  “Come.  It is time to leave – we gain nothing by sitting here.”  He glanced at a subdued and unhappy Kagome.  “You will stay by my side, miko.  Now that the other one is gone, Naraku will be concentrating on you.”

He waited until she nodded solemnly, and then turned on his heel, completely ignoring his brother and the others.  As far as he was concerned, he'd given them enough leeway – especially as they were not even his pack.

For several hours as they all traveled, silence reigned, everyone lost in their thoughts, and Inuyasha in his grief.  

And then...

“Tell me, miko, why is it that you grieve for a woman who hated you, and tried so often to kill you?”  he asked curtly.

Kagome sighed, not really wanting to talk about it, but compelled to, nonetheless.  

“Kikyou was... she was not much older than me when Naraku took her life.  Of course I feel sorry for her – she didn't deserve what Naraku did to her.  But... to be honest, most of my upset isn't necessarily for her sake – it's for Inuyasha's.”  She scrunched her face, then shook her head wearily, tears still shimmering in her eyes.  “Twice, he's had to lose her.  He hasn't had much of a life, and most of the things that have been in it haven't been so nice.  I can't help but hurt for him.”

Sesshoumaru looked up ahead into the distance where his brother walked alone, considering her words.  So... she cries for him.  Hnn.  As though he has not caused her enough grief since she has known him.  Yet still...

He found himself suddenly angry with her.  How could she be so foolish as to try to take on the pain of every person she ever met?  It was ridiculous.  She needed to stop worrying about everyone else, and worry about herself, instead.

He told her so in no uncertain terms.

She narrowed her eyes at him.

“If I did that, I wouldn't be me.  I'd be you,”  she said sarcastically, beginning to get annoyed.  “And I'm perfectly content with being me, Sesshoumaru-sama.”  With that, she dropped back to walk with Rin and Ah-Uhn, ignoring him for the rest of the day.

It didn't escape anyones notice that her actions left the daiyoukai brooding and irritable, though no one said a word.  In fact, it appeared that he did not like it at all when Kagome was angry with him, though no one had the nerve to point that out.

But it was becoming evident that Kagome had more of an effect on Sesshoumaru than he probably realized – or would likely ever admit, even if he did realize...

At least willingly.

-sSs-

A/N:  Ah, the beginning stages of jealousy.   

As those who've seen the last season of Inuyasha can tell, I'm taking some of the episodes and tying them in here, though I'm changing them to suit my needs – ie, adding Sesshoumaru into the dynamics in a way he wasn't in the manga.  I will be doing that some more with further chapters, though most chapters of this story will be of my own devising entirely, and not incorporate the manga at all.

Creative license, baby!

Amber


Converting /tmp/phpgz9FYf to /dev/stdout