InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ With Time Comes Change ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer - Inuyasha © Rumiko Takahashi
 
 
 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Prologue
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
 
 
It had been on and off again for the past five years, some periods lasting longer than others. To some it was a childish game that they played, with the utter disregard for the hearts that lay broken in their path of “war.” But to them, it really wasn't like that, it wasn't a game. It was love.
 
 
 
From the moment they had been introduced to one another it had been “Kagome and Sesshoumaru.” While Sesshoumaru might not have vocalized it as much as Kagome did, there was an instant connection, an attraction; they were a compliment to each other. The slip of a girl had won him over.
 
 
 
In a sense, they grew up together. That is, a person changes a lot in five years. They had seen each other both at their best and worst of times.
 
 
 
They had met in college, in Kagome's case anyway. She was enrolled in school and was working on her internship. Sesshoumaru, on the other hand was busy working his way up the corporate ladder. He was quite successful at a young age, mind you. It was obvious that he would definitely be going places in his life. Their paths crossed where their social circles overlapped. He was the brother of a friend, of a friend, of a friend.
 
 
 
Sure, he seemed cold an emotionally detached from society at first glance, but Kagome saw through that and saw the side of him that she knew he could be.
 
 
 
Of course, they each had their own faults, no one is perfect, nor is any relationship absolutely perfect. Somewhere along the way started a vicious cycle: they would date, fight, break up, see other people, see each other again, decide that they needed to be with each other, and then make up---repeat cycle times four.
 
 
 
Hell, during the third “off” period, Sesshoumaru had went off and gotten engaged to someone else. Kagome found out and she was devastated; he never had made that kind of commitment to her. After receiving the crushing news, she thought that there would be no more next time. She to evaluate herself and had wondered for the longest time what exactly was wrong with her. She also realized that it was time to move on.
 
 
 
Later that year, she found her self comfortable with being happy with her new beau, Tai. They had even moved in together, something Sesshoumaru and her had never done. Tai was an up and coming photographer in his late twenties who had a brilliant eye when it came to taking pictures. Kagome had noticed that brilliance when she met him at the PR firm she worked for, PR being public relations. She wasn't his PR manager, due to the invisible professional/personal line that is supposed to uphold itself in the business world, but she did make sure that he was seen at all of the right places to get him noticed. After all, it's all about networking: who you know and who they know.
 
 
 
With the aid of Tai's PR agent and Kagome, he had achieved “getting noticed” in a short period of time.
 
 
 
One benefit of being in public relations is that many doors are open to you. People want to get their product into the right hands. That was how Kagome had scored an ever elusive “key” that was needed to get in to Drink., the newest hotspot for trendsetters. This bar was basically members only and catered primarily to the cities twenty and thirty somethings; it was so exclusive that one needed a key to even get in. Of course you could always try your luck by waiting in line, but nothing was guaranteed without a key. On that night, Tai and Kagome were “in.”
 
 
 
And so on that last night of celebration for Drink.'s grand opening, he was there—he being Sesshoumaru. He had brought along his fiancée whom Kagome and friends had regarded as “idiot stick figure without a soul.” Kagome didn't know that Sesshoumaru would be there. With so many openings and premiers that went on during any given Saturday night, what were the odds of running into an old flame? She certainly didn't plan on seeing him there. But Sesshoumaru had seen Kagome almost instantaneously. He saw her laughing and giggling with that other man, doting all over him like he was the greatest thing that there ever was, and Sesshoumaru couldn't stand it.
 
 
 
The more he looked at his fiancée, the more he saw how much she could never be Kagome.
 
 
 
Kagome, on the other hand, thought that she was happy with Tai. He made her laugh, he was sweet, gentle, and kind—everything that a girl should want in a guy.
 
 
 
Sesshoumaru had approached Kagome with Lilia in tow, he said a few suave remarks aimed towards Kagome which tied Kagome's tongue and had her blubbering like an idiot.
 
 
 
By seeing that unspoken passion in his eyes when he spoke to her, and knowing that the emotion that his eyes allowed to escape was for her and her alone, she knew her heart still ached for Sesshoumaru. But did he still yearn for her?
 
 
 
Later that night, or in the earliest hours of morning, however one wants to look at it, Sesshoumaru had called Kagome and told her to meet him at the Four Seasons so they could talk privately. He told her that things weren't working out, he was getting out of his engagement, and that he wanted her. Kagome refused several times, pushing and slapping him away when he tried to kiss her, telling him that he was engaged, but eventually she gave away and thus, their love affair had begun once again.
 
 
 
Sure, it broke their respective other's hearts when they found out, one in a worse way than the other. The next day Kagome had told Tai that she couldn't be with him anymore, that she still loved someone else. Lilia, on the other hand, had walked in on Kagome and Sesshoumaru that same day after the party during the newly reconciled couple's afternoon tryst.
 
 
 
And that's how it went, four times to be exact. Well, four big break ups, and four big reconciliations throughout five years. So far they had always found their way back to one another…So far anyway.
 
 
 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 
 
2/15/05