Jem Fan Fiction ❯ "Ulimate Holograms" ❯ The Birth ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“Jem”, related characters, related things, and related places are copyright 1984-2010 by Hasbro Inc & Sunbrow Studios. All rights reserved.
 
 
“Ultimate Holograms”
A “Jem” Fan-Fiction
Issue #1: “The Birth”
By Dr. Thinker
 
 
Jerrica Benton had got back from finishing up her college education in business. She had almost completed everything last year—but that November just before the Thanksgiving break, her father, Emmett Benton died. She finally completed her college business course—but an airline strike slowed down her return to Los Angles until late middle May—and it least she was back before her next birthday. She was heading to pick up her suitcase from the baggage claim area of airport, when she caught something out of the one of her eyes.
 
It was a poster. It also had the Starlight Music's logo: a white star on it. A yellow poster with a picture of a new wave fan's nightmare of a green-haired singer dress in something that a gothic girl would not be caught dead in even it was black as a Count Dracula's tuxedo. In white block letters read the following: “Coming June 2 - The first annual Starlight Music Battle of the Band.”
 
She walked off—with the promise to getting control of Starlight Music from Eric Raymond. He may act like C.E.O. of a giant company, he just own half of the company. She picked up her suitcase at the baggage claim--meet her biological sister Kimber outside of the airport, who had used the Starlight Express van of Starlight House to pick her up. Kimber was too quiet for Jerrica—and she wanted to get her mind off of that stupid poster.
 
Jerrica asked, “What are our sisters are doing?”
 
Jerrica is biological sister is Kimber, but she had two adopted sisters: Aja Leith, & Shana Elmsford.
 
Kimber said, “Shana shopping for a new vacuum cleaner—the old one is ancient history, Rio fall on the vacuum cleaner's bag. Aja's been updating her lab-top with more virus killing item that called for. Rio's fine—but I just wished we have enough money to fix up Starlight House. ”
 
Starlight House is a home for orphans and kids from trouble homes started by their Jerrica's parents: Jacqui and Emmett Benton. In Emmett's will, Jerrica revealed Starlight Foundation and half of Starlight Music. Eric got the other half. She was a little nervous being around Eric. She had a feeling Eric is up to no good—but she had no proof. Kimber turned on the radio—and out poor a hideous song that would make a DEVO fan commits suicide. The song was an out-of-control war in which one was winning between the instruments: a drum, a guitar, a keyboard, and a saxophone. The lead voice person was like nails on a chalkboard. She bet anything it could be a rich person's spoiled daughter. She could imagine what kind of group could make this. The spoiled brat must be leading a jazz saxophone, a new wave keyboardist, a silly guitar that could not read music notes if she wanted to save her life and a pop drummer. The song lasted about 2 minutes that Jerrica wanted back.

The radio disc-jockeys talked about the song. It turned out the song was “Honesty Is Dead” by the Misfits. It turns out that it's seems the Misfits have been getting backing from the Starlight Music. It's seems that both DJ had pick is that Misfits to win—but one think to see some proofs that Eric is up to no good—the posters for the Battle of the Bands had Pizzazz's pictures—it was a regular contest—it just a regular poster similar to the old ones when Emmett Benton was in charge having a stereotype groups from covering all the music types—but mostly only Pizzazz's mug had been on the posters. DJ jokes that she has been thinking like a 1980s cartoon character. Despite the next day was her 21st birthday, Jerrica vow to escape her birthday party and try to rein in the out-of control Eric.
 
+J+
 
It was tough for Jerrica to escape Kimber, Aja, Shana—and her boyfriend, Rio and his cousin, Raya—but she was able to get keys for Rio's truck and drove to Starlight Music—and discovered that a few people had been fired by Eric Raymond. She was now heading to Emmett Benton's old office. She discovered that his female assistant was sleeping—and she open up…to see Eric Raymond talking to someone.
 
A female voiced asked, “Who is that moron?”
 
Eric said, “Carol, I told you to take a nap…” At his point, Eric said, “You! How did you get in this room?”
 
Jerrica replied, “I walked in, Eric.”
 
The female appeared to look like she crawled out of a cyberpunk film. Her neon orange hair was the weirdest color Jerrica saw on a human hair--hands down. She was dressed in a black T-shirt reading “The Misfits” on it—and sliver skirt. Her sneakers looked like-- painted by the nasty painter in the entire world. Her red eyes had a demonic-glee to them. Her awful green lip-stick make Jerrica's stomach do flips.
 
Eric said, “This is Jerrica Benton, Clash. Jerrica, Constance `Clash' Disc. She's the Misfits' manager.”
 
Clash growled, “Don't give me that usually fake politeness—it's just a bunch of hot air.”
 
Eric asked, “So what do you crawl out of the rock you need hiding under?”
 
Before Jerrica could answer that—a weird noise that sound like a gang of motorcycle appeared.

Clash joked, “I think you love the Misfits: Pizzazz, Roxy, Jetta and Stormer!!”
 
The nightmare from the poster at the airport appeared leading similar looking humans on ride on a strange motorcycle that was shape like a guitar—they four of them. Pizzazz was mostly like the one from the poster.
 
Pizzazz asked, “Hey, Clash. How you like our new toys?”
 
Clash said, “That will work great in my next video! That knock my cousin, Video, around--big time!”
 
Jerrica was getting steamed and yelled, “Get those jerk-o-cycles out of there!”
 
Pizzazz asked, “Who are you?”
 
Jerrica said, “I'm Jerrica Benton, and I owned half of his company.”
 
Pizzazz retorted, “Stay out of our way or else?”

Jerrica asked, “Or else what?”
 
Pizzazz, Roxy, Jetta and Stormer revealed the bikes had places to hide their music instruments. Roxy had a drum, Jetta had saxophone, Stormer had a keytar—a half-guitar/half-keyboard, and Pizzazz had a guitar. The song they song was “Out Of My Way”—it was less like a war—but more like a heavy metal meets new wave. The song was about Pizzazz on the move to attack anyone in her way. This was most annoying away of getting attack in Jerrica's not so humble opinion. When they were finished, Clash and Eric started clapping their hands.
 
Jerrica shouted, “You guys could give a DEVO fan a NIGHTMARE!”

Pizzazz yelled, “That group is my heroes! I won't be insult rejects from a young romance comic book!”
 
Clash remarked, “Save the energy for the Battle of the Bands tomorrow, Pizzazz.”
 
Pizzazz said, “Hey, Eric. You didn't tell us where it's taking place at.”
 
Eric replied, “Sorry. I was going to tell Clash that—but this kid put her two cents in.” He stopped to point at Jerrica, “The Battle of the Band is Pluto Park. You are going to win!”
 
Roxy said, “And we mostly sure that we are. Eric had rigged the contest. The other bands are going to so lousy that will win. We didn't mean to win this way—but as Clash common line is: `Honesty is dead'—but we are the best—hands down—right, Stormer?”
 
Stormer said, “Yes.”
 
Jerrica replied, “Honesty isn't dead—just a little injured.”
 
Eric said, “I thought that line died with Emmett—and beside—you are a kid. Honesty never works in the arts any why. Any why, there is nothing you can't do….”
 
Jerrica yelled, “I won't be too sure of that, Eric!”
 
+J+
 
Jerrica was attacked by May Malone, the Starlight Police Chief, and Christy Marx, Starlight Music's lawyer, before he was able to get to the elevator and out of Eric's hair. She was taken to Christy Marx's room. Inside, she saw another person, Jo Anna, the booker.
 
Christy said, “Relax. Don't worry, we lucky that Emmett died before he could get the cameras for my or May's office. All three of us hate Eric Raymond. May here wished that Rio got half of Starlight Music. If we make Eric mad enough—he make a mistake, and we can get the police on his backside—but we there is a problem. We can't find a singer or a band to outplay the Misfits. The Misfits are one of the scariest bands in the universe. I can't do anything musically—and May's decent singer—but he's not as good as you.”
 
Jerrica asked, “But what if Eric about conflict of interest?”
 
May said, “Told you she will chicken out, Jo Anna.”
 
Jerrica said, “I hate Eric has much as you do—but Eric has the right to toss conflict of interest at me—and get full control of Starlight Music—and then throw your group out on to the street.”
 
Jo Anna said, “Well, if you can get a singer or band with some backbones—give them to them. It's `Permission to Perform' slip—give it the judges, they had been told to allow anyone that signs things are free to sing whatever they want. Christy got lucky—after 2 months, you won't have worry if you win—because Eric's chances of getting a C.O.I. on you are about as much as seeing pigs eating bacon.”
 
May asked, “Jerrica, what about a wig or hair-dye?”
 
Jerrica said, “May. I'm allergic to wigs-and really get a bad rash if any hair dye touches me.”
 
+J+
 
 
Back at “Starlight House”, Jerrica confronted her sisters again in her room. She was sitting by her mirror.
 
Shana said, “What can do by tomorrow?”
 
Aja said, “Looks like this is end of Starlight Music.”
 
Shana replied, “Not yet.”
 
Kimber said, “Oh, before I get called a brainless doll by you, big sis—this box come for your today. One of Kimber's fingers pointed to the one on the mirrored desk.”
 
Jerrica picked up the box—and open it up. Inside was a pair of earrings. The earrings were two red-star shaped pair that had a pink letter J on them.
 
Shana said, “Nice earrings—some had good taste.”
 
Aja said, “Must have been from Rio.”
 
Jerrica took off her blue orb-like earrings—and put on the star-shape on. They were pretty light. Before anyone could say anymore, they was a sound of the wind—which made Aja and Shana shut the window on the same side as the mirror desk. But then, a mysterious woman surprised them. The woman was a dark purple skin with dark purple hair, wearing a blue shirt and a blue skirt.
 
The women commanded, “Jessica Eris Maria Benton, you have been summoned. You will find directions in the earrings' box. Follow them.” The woman faded out of sight like a ghost.
 
+J+
 
In the 1950s, the Starlight Drive-In was the best drive-in theater in Los Angeles—but present time, it's was a waste of space. The Starlight Van pulled into the old drive-in—and up to the drive-in's huge movie screen.
 
Shana said, “This is the weirdest thing we ever done!”
 
The blue-skinned women appeared again, “Welcome, Jerrica. Please drive forward. Nothing is what is what it seems.”
 
Aja said, “Driving thought a wall! I'm crazy—but not that crazy.”

Jerrica remarked, “Go on—I have hunch.”
 
The car drive thought a wall. Inside, they saw modern metal over the walls that and a huge computer about size of medieval organ—but the parts looked like someone had broken many pianos in creating it. In the green center of the half-computer/half-piano, the face of the purple-skin woman was looking out of.
 
Aja said, “It's an illusion!”
 
Jerrica asked, “What are you?”

The woman replied, “I'm a Synergy. I'm a holographic computer created by Emmett Benton.”
 
Jerrica asked, “Father made you?”
 
Synergy replied, “Yes. I know I belong to you. I can realistic holograms.” Synergy paused to make an illusion of Jerrica herself. “And I change your appearances.”

Synergy showed this off by putting an illusion of Aja over Kimber.
 
The real Aja said, “You never look better, Kimber.”
 
Synergy then put an illusion of Shana over Aja
 
Kimber's Aja joked, “Now that's an improvement!”
 
Synergy followed that one up with putting an illusion of Kimber over Shana.
 
Kimber's Aja remarked, “That's even better!”
 
Jerrica asked, “How did you show up in my room?”
 
Synergy replied, “Though my mini-holographic projectors.”

Jerrica remarked, “The earrings!”
 
Synergy added, “Though them, I can produce any holograms you want.”
 
The illusions disappeared as fast as they come—and Synergy said, “Your father left you other gifts as well—turn around.”
 
A smaller illusion wall disappeared revealing a collection of clothing that an entire Hollywood studio would die for. Sheena being into fashion—checked this out for while—before starting: “They're real!”
Another smaller illusion wall disappear revealing music instruments. Kimber rushed into and looked at all the drums, keyboards, guitars, and amps—and soon returned and said the following: “Outrageous! There's enough gear here to start a dozen bands!”
 
Synergy said, “And now for your father's final gift.”
 
Just then girls heard saw an illusion of the floor disappear—and a saw that a strange pink and green car has appeared out of thin air. The girls were floored by this surprise.

Jerrica said, “All of this stuff—and dad kept it a secret. I know how to stop Mr. Eric Raymond”
 
Kimber asked, “How?”
 
-M-
 
In the Misfits van, Stormer was putting up her keytar for the day—and having a worry thought that she can't get off of her mind. This happens—and annoys Pizzazz a lot—but the way Pizzazz treated Jerrica—Stormer thought it equal payback
 
Stormer said, “I'm worried.”
 
Pizzazz asked with a growl, “About what?”

Stormer replied, “Two things: Eric's greed and Jerrica's angriness.”
 
Clash remarked, “Don't worry, Stormer. If Eric's greed gets the better of him, we just have Pizzazz's father take Starlight Music away from him.

Pizzazz added, “Not a bad idea, Clash! And we mostly like won't see that reject from a Sliver Age young romantic comic book for the rest of our life! So let's turn our thoughts to anything in---got `Making Mischief' ready for perform today—just in case we have to wake up the audience.”
 
Stormer said, “Roxy's been bruised badly by Jerrica. She's sleeping it off. But she does know the lyrics to `WINNING IS EVERYTHING!' Decent, but no Grammy winner—despite what Eric thinks.”
 
+J+
 
Jerrica had a problem with her solid illusion of her rock-star. The pink-hair rock star was dressed in a pink blouse/skirt combo with a white cloth tired around her waist. The rock star had pink sandals on it.
 
Jerrica muttered, “What is wrong with here--thee solid illusion walks, jumps, grabs, and dances—but why can't see…
Synergy said, “I have no clue. Emmett Benton told me my illusions are fine.”
 
A motorcycle suited person entered, “Why can't your solid illusion talk--that's easy. Emmett Benton discovered one of the flaws of Synergy is that solid illusions can't voice any actions.”
 
Synergy said, “Raya, I wonder when you were going to make appearance. Thank you for delivering the earrings for me.”
 
The motorcycle is removed her helmet to reveal that Synergy was correct. It was Raya.
 
Kimber said, “Wrong R, Aja.”
 
Jerrica asked, “How do you know Synergy, Raya?”
 
Raya replied, “I brought the parts need to made Synergy when I discovered Emmett was hanging around the Starlight Drive-In a lot. I got an idea—but I only put in action if you allow me to the drummer of the band.”

Jerrica replied, “Sure. In fact, Aja and Sheena had decided on being the guitarists—and Kimber is going to be the songwriter and keyboardist.”

Jerrica saw that Raya quickly open up Synergy's earning files-and added the solid program to it—and saw that she's puts in two lines: “Showtime, Synergy” & “Show's over, Synergy”-as the possible of just touching the earrings with out using the line.
 
Raya said, “I think I solved our problem—but Jerrica you have to our band's singer.”
 
Aja said, “But she can't use her name.”

Raya saw the car and asked, “Where's is their just a J, an E, and an M on the car, when Jerrica's initials are a J and B?”
 
Jerrica said, “My full name is Jerrica Eris Maria Benton.”
 
Raya said, “I had an idea--let us called the rock singer: Jem.”
 
Kimber added, “Totally Outrageous! Let's make the band name: Jem and the Holograms!”
Aja replied, “Sounds good!”
 
Jerrica said, “Let's see if it's works! First off: Showtime, Synergy!”

A flash of pink light from the earrings covered Jerrica up for a while—then Jem shows up. Jem said, “Looks fine--Show's over, Synergy!” Jem flashed pink for a while—then Jerrica returned to her original look.

Kimber said, “I can't wait to see what Misfits' face look like when we show them up!”
 
-M-
 
Pluto Park was named not for Mickey Mouse's animated dog or the rock that got recently got the `planet' sign removed from it, but for Mr. Patrick Pluto. He loved park so much that he created one not to far from where Starlight Music was headquartered.
 
Stormer asked, “Roxy, how are you feeling?”
 
Roxy said, “Depends on rather or not we lose today. Any sign of so-called half-owner?”
 
Stormer smiled, Roxy was back to normal for “The Misfits”.
 
Jetta replied, “Nothing but bunch of bloody awful to mediocre bands, two bloody annoying hangovers and hired judges that want their bloody paychecks. The only weird thing is that seems to group of female police officers off-duty. By the way, Clash tells us that we play last—in order to wake up the sleepy heads.”
 
Stormer was surprised! Eric did find bands were so band that so awful she wouldn't dare throw a rotten tomato at them, but dumping rotten tomato juice was a mischief of a different type. Of course, it was time for them to play. They played “Outta of My Way”.
 
Just then, one of judge said, “Eric. We got a late entry.”
 
Eric remarked, “Denied their entry.”
 
The judge replied, “Can't--their Permission to Perform are signed.”

Eric remarked, “Tell them that Christy Marx didn't sign the form.”
 
The judge replied, “She did. Looks a bit dated— I had to let them go on—otherwise, I'm going to be grilled to death by Christy, Jo and May.”
 
Just then, on stage, was a group that surprised the Misfits. The band was a group of woman dressed in a white blouses and blue jeans. An Asian-America and Africa-American were playing guitars. A Latin-American was drumming something up. The red-hair girl was playing keyboard was playing. Out walked, a pink-haired girl dressed from head to toe in a pink outfit. Her voice was smooth as she said, “I'm going to sing my song first—then I'm going to tell you my name and my backup's name. Our song titled `Only the Beginning'—and it's a real winner.”
 
A couple of the fans growled, “Like we haven't heard that one a zillion times today!”
 
The pink-hair signer said, “Like a Hasbro toy line, I'm more then meet the eye. Let's show these people how to really rock!”
 
The girl's pals shouted in the world, “Ready!”
 
-SONG BREAK-
 
“Only the Beginning”
By Jem and the Holograms
 
 
There's music in the air
News is in the makin'
Music in the air
Somethin' big is breakin'
Wow, look around at the sight and sound
Did we take you by surprise?
Bet you can't believe your eyes
(oh) Whoa!
Well this is only the beginning,
Only the beginning!
(Now!) Now's the time when our star's on the climb
Watch us try for the prize
We're already on the rise
(The rise! Surprise! Oh!)
Well this is only the beginning,
Only the beginning, Only the beginning!
Only the beginning, Only the beginning!
Wow, look around at the sight and sound
Did we take you by surprise?
Bet you can't believe your eyes
(oh) Whoa!
Well this is only the beginning,
Only the beginning!
(Now!) Now's the time when our star's on the climb
Watch us try for the prize
We're already on the rise
(The rise! Surprise! Oh!)
Well this is only the beginning,
Only the beginning, Only the beginning!
Only the beginning, Only the beginning!
 
-SONG BREAK OVER-
 
Eric sweated like pig. During the sing, the audience was dancing around the pink-hair and her back-up band. The song got enough clapping that it made the Misfits look a group of stupid villains from a 1980 cartoon.
 
The pink hair girl said, “I'm Jem.” She paused for moment to point, “And my band is called The Holograms.”
 
Speaking of stupid, he's going to get--as Jetta might say—a bloody earful from Clash—and she was running up—and yelling at the top of her lungs: “ERIC! HOW DID YOU LET THEM PLAY HERE! YOU MADE US LOOK LIKE VILLIANS FROM A 1980 CARTOON!”
 
The keyboardist looked up—and Eric recognized her as Kimber Benton, Jerrica's younger sister. Kimber quacked, “Speak for yourself—in my not so humble opinion, your and your band look you can hang around original Megatron and Cobra Commander with looking out of the place.”
 
Stormer started gigging like a school girl. She was a big fan of 1980's cartoons. While Clash and her follow Misfits work to get her back out her to Misfits' abnormal state, he can have a few words with Jem.
 
Eric said, “What's your job?”

Jem answered, “I'm a rock star.”

Eric asked, “Why did you show up?”
 
Jem replied, “A little bird asked me to show. Like her, I really hate dishonesty in contests.”
 
Eric asked, “Who's the little bird?”
 
Jem pointed away from the stage—Eric turned to see a familiar face walked into the location, Eric recognized her as Jerrica Benton. He saw Jem still on the stage. Jerrica walked on the stage—and Eric growled the following: “Jerrica, I won't tolerate this kind of interference!!”
 
Jerrica remarked, “And I won't tolerate rigged contests.”
 
Jem added, “That's go double for me.”
 
Eric was going to use the threat of Conflict of Interest, but Jerrica and Jem were both together. They can't be the same person they were both appeared at the same place and time, but he needs to do something to stop them from getting their hands on Starlight Music—but he couldn't figure out what's need to been done.
 
Pizzazz said, “Hey, rejects from pop factory, I want something from you.”
 
Being a little closer to the Holograms then he was—he recognized the rest of the Holograms as Aja, Raya, & Shana.
 
Aja asked, “What do you want to know?”
 
Pizzazz asked, “How you know Jem, Jerrica?”
 
Jerrica replied, “I'm one of her old friends from grade school.”
 
Jem said, “I won't be here—but a few years ago, my home town got wrecked. I walked across the Americas to get back here—and meet Jerrica before she left college a few years ago.
 
Jetta said, “That's sounds like a bloody impossible—you look a little too healthily too me. Where's the bloody ID card you need to work and live here.”
 
Jem said, “My home town was completed drestory with any records with expectation of money from the bank's safe vault—the door was damaged—and I was able to use the money to get me here. Jerrica offer to help me out—by getting me some ID and a new social security number. ”
 
The audience started crying—heck, even Stormer was crying, until Roxy elbowed her. Eric looked a little ill. Why, did he think of this before—offer his half if she tells the truth.

Eric said, “I give you my half, if you tell me the truth.”
 
Jerrica said, “You are a creep, Eric.”

Jem said, “And we are telling you the truth. Truth is sometime stranger then fiction.”

Eric run off like a chicken with its head cut off. The Misfits soon followed suit. The judges announced the winner of the Battle of Bands as “Jem and the Holograms”.
 
*J*
 
Jem smiled. The light illusion of her other identity worked like a charm. But they were still the problems of getting that half of Starlight Music away from Eric Raymond. The fans disappeared after the Misfits took off. Not soon, after the press and judges left. Jem hoped in the “mini-limo” as Kimber called it—rolled up its' tinted window. Getting Starlight Music away from Eric is her main goal in mind.
 
Jem said, “Show's over, Synergy”-and become Jerrica Benton. She was glad when the Holograms promised that would not even tell Rio her other identity. She had two vows she made—one was public to the other Holograms—to stop Eric Raymond from ruing her father's company with dishonestly. The other was private to her: to tell Rio that she's Jem.
 
Kimber said, “I feel like I'm a roller coaster.”
 
Jerrica remarked, “Let's hope that we have more ups then downs.”
 
-TBC-
 
As original Jem sung during an adventure, we can change it—or in this case, I. This of course, is my updated version of “Jem and the Holograms”. I recall prefer The Misfits' pranks to Stingers' plots, so they are going to staying the bad girls for as long as possible. Clash is the manager of the Misfits—I also give her the last of Disc—which makes her initials as in Compact Disc—C.D. You meet Lin-Z, Anthony Julian, Howard Sands, Countess Danielle, and Video in the next chapter—and get to see Rio's re-actions to Jem. But will Jem tell her identity to him? It's even bet either way.
 
Catch you later,
Dr. Thinker