Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 22

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 22
 
As the family sat down to eat, Karin came in with Kenta and Kannon. She wanted to know how to handle what her daughter had just done. Yuriya was happy to have guests, and set out some plates for them. “Now, what is it that frightens you two?” asked Jean-Claude.
The two of them began to look at each other, not sure what to say. Finally, Sheila said, “Daddy, I'm just so afraid I might use it and hurt someone.”
“What do you mean kiddo?” asked Jean-Claude.
“Well, I mean, Jennifer is doing so much better now,” said Sheila, “but the girls are still mean to her, and it is not fair!”
“Why would they do something so horrible to such a sweet girl?” asked Yuriya.
“I don't know, mother,” answered Sheila, “Just because she's poor, and cannot afford nice things, some treat her like she is trash. She's a good girl, and she has such a big heart. She's never done anything wrong. They make me so mad that I want to hurt them, and then I remember what could happen.”
Jean-Claude sighed, and said, “I know how you feel. You have all these fantastic powers and abilities, and you feel that you could just solve everyone's problems, and you just want to lash out, don't you?”
“I kind of feel the same way,” added Mickey.
“Yes, that power is seductive isn't it?” asked Jean-Claude.
Mickey thought for a moment, and Sheila wondered why he hesitated. “Mickey,” Sheila interjected, “You've always been in more control of it. Why would you worry?”
“I can't say I've always been in that much control,” Mickey answered, “There are times when I have had to stop short of frying someone where they stood.”
“You sure handled it tonight,” said Karin.
“We were desperate,” said Sheila, “Daddy told us of things like this where we cannot avoid doing what we did.”
“And you did it right, Pumpkin,” said Yuriya, “That was exactly what we taught you, and you did well.”
“But, what if we get angry, and someone really pushes our buttons?” said Mickey.
“What have I always taught you?” asked Jean-Claude.
“We have to conquer ourselves,” answered Sheila.
“Well, let me fill you in on how to do that,” responded Jean-Claude, “Part of that is learning how to resolve doing things like that without having to rely on them. If you get into the habit of using your gifts too often, two things are going to happen. First, if there ever came a time where you had to resolve something and using your gifts would be out of the question, then you would be at a loss for what to do. Learning to think out your problems is better, because you may find that you really don't need your gifts all that much. Second, if you get into the gifts habit, the more you expose yourself to that power, the more arrogant you get. In other words, you begin to get cocky, thinking you can solve anyone's problems, and that is where the seduction lies. What will happen is you will feel that you should be solving everyone's problems, and that will lead to you trying to reshape people and situations to what you think they ought to be. When that happens, delusions of grandeur can set in. Many mortals have fallen into this trap, because they had access to all the power a nation had to offer and they began to feel that they should be in charge, wanting to reshape the world into the image they wanted. Millions have died because of this and every one of them pretty much was destroyed by the people that did not share his vision. Many of the millions died in the effort to stop them. Always know that, if you become like this, no matter how long it takes, sooner or later, someone or something is going to come along and beat you at your own game. Ultimately, you would answer to God, and I do not think he would allow you to usurp Him. By limiting the use of your gifts, you gain more of a respect for what they can do, because you have become so good in dealing with things without them. In other words, the less you use them, the more you will respect their power when you do, and you will insure that you will only use them if you absolutely have to. Mickey, I know that you have done that many times. Keep it up, and I know that you will have no problems. Part of being a leader is to know where your limitations lie, and respecting that. However, there is something else.”
Now everyone had a keen interest in what he had to say. He then said, “There was a fine lesson I learned not too long ago. I know that vampires are learning to coexist with humans. However, no matter how much we get along, there is always going to be a difference between us. This is unavoidable. We have gifts and powers far beyond them, and if we had the kinds of evil ambitions as those of the past, we could find ourselves trying to dominate them. We, collectively, shall always be more powerful than them. On the other hand, what they lack in power, they make up for in numbers. All it would take is for us to make a move like I just described, and it would be all over. They would annihilate us. This is why they also deserve our respect, because of how they could stop us despite our gifts. If you learn to love yourself and respect others, you will not be likely to abuse your gifts. If you also have great respect for your gifts, you would be reluctant to use them anyway. However, never lose that fear you spoke of, because it is that fear that will aid you in restraining yourselves. It's like I told you about guns. You know we own a few, and we are all adept at using them. Yet, remember what I taught you two at the firing range. The same respect for that weapon is the same kind of respect you must have for your gifts. Think of your gifts as if you were carrying firearms around. You know that you would only use that gun if you had no other way, and so it is with your gifts. Does that help?”
Mickey smiled, and said, “You know, when you put it like that, it doesn't seem so bad anymore.”
Sheila seemed to be catching on, and she said, “That makes me feel so much better, because I already know I can help people, and knowing I have what it takes to help them even more makes me feel good.”
“I think you two are getting it,” said Yuriya, “In other words, what you are saying is that all this gives you confidence, right?”
“Yeah, I think that is what it does!” reasoned Mickey.
“This was the philosophy of one of the greatest presidents this country has ever had,” said Jean-Claude, “His name was Teddy Roosevelt. When he was an up-and-coming politician, he was on safari in Africa. One of the native chiefs knew that he had ambitions of becoming the “chief” of his own “tribe” one day, and that chief thought it his responsibility to dispense his wisdom to aid him in his quest. He told Teddy, `Here is the best thing that you can learn as a chief—speak softly and carry a big stick, and you'll go far.'
Roosevelt took that to heart when he became president. He knew that he had the power of the free world at his fingertips, and knew how to use it in the right areas. He always made sure to have the right reasons to act before he did, and when he did, it was always the right thing, no matter what people thought. He was a humble but confident man, and yet never let the power get to him. Your `big stick' is your gifts. Remember that at all times. If you stay close to God, and listen to your conscious, you will know what to do when, and you always have me and your mother to help you.”
Karin then chimed in, and said, “So, what do I do with Kannon. She is acting like these two when they were her age.”
Jean-Claude thought, and said, “First of all, remember what I said tonight, and teach her this from a young age. Second, you have to keep Kannon around the twins as much as possible, because they can teach her as peers. She will have an advantage they never did, because they did not have peers like them. However they held themselves strongly and they now can teach her. They can teach her how to control things. It's a good thing that she did not release too much, though, because she could have stopped Ai's heart. Don't scold her for the use of gifts, but always know to praise good acts, and scold bad ones. Make her understand from an early age that she is not wrong or odd for having these gifts, but that it is a part of her, and she should never be ashamed of that. However, remember what you heard and use it.”
Karin then held Kannon and gave her a kiss. Kenta joined in this, and Kannon lightened up, giving kiss after kiss to her daddy. “Easy, baby!” said Kenta, but Kannon said, “Daddy ith handthome!”
Karin laughed, and said, “You cannot knock her taste in men!”
 
The Rugby team had swept the state, and stood undefeated. They went to the Division Two championships and won. As a result, they were invited to Boston for the Division One tournament for the national championship. At the same time, there was the New England Candlepin Championship being held the Saturday evening of the tournament. Because of the priority, the men's team had been able to acquire the only two vans the school had to offer for club activities. This meant the bowlers would have to make their own way there. By this point, all those of age had driver's licenses, and Anjou managed to get one of the limos for the girls. However, she also promised that she would be there for the games. Jean-Claude looked askance at this, but Anjou assured him she had her ways. She told him that the weather was going to be cloudy all through the weekend, and although she could not tolerate cloudy days as well as she used to, if she covered her body, and used her parasol as she stood in shade, all would be well. There were some preliminaries for her that Friday, and she had to be out anyway, so it would be well. However, she insured that everyone left after sunset, and she said that she would follow the vans, not having as great a knowledge of New England as others. Thus, off they went. Since Veteran's Day fell on a Friday, Yuriya and the kids were free to go, as well as the Usui clan, taking their own car to see the family play for all the marbles, so to speak. However, that Thursday evening was about to be interesting for two freshmen on the Rugby team, and they were going to learn a lesson that they never would forget.
 
Somewhere in Massachusetts, just 40 miles outside of Boston proper, the men decided that they wanted to take a bit of a break, and stopped at a pub that they knew of along the highway. Everyone went in that was legal, or who could sneak in, but only certain ones were going to wet their whistles. Since some had to drive, they were not going to partake. Since Jean-Claude was not a drinker, he decided to go into the gas station to grab a soda. His twins had been riding with him, and he and Yuriya had been alternating in taking them. At that moment, they were asleep in the back, and he figured that it would be okay to leave them there. Besides, he knew that if anyone wanted to do anything with them, they were in for a big surprise! Some of the girls on the bowling team decided to go in as well, and it was just a good break all around. However, as the Makkas were conversing, two of the boys on the Rugby team told McQueeny that they needed to get something from the van, and they wanted the keys. Not thinking anything of it, he gave over the keys, and they went out. However, these two boys had been drinking the beer that someone had brought, and they were past the legal limit if they had been of age. However, they should not have been drinking at all, but they were not so far gone that their inebriation could be noticed. In fact, no one had known that they had been drinking. They had been sneaking the beers when they could, and were no longer rational. They hopped in one of the two vans and gunned up the motor. That caught the attention of all those standing outside, as they watched the van pull away. However, it happened to be the van that was holding the twins, and both parents shouted, “NO!”
They were flying down the road now, and he wondered what could happen next. Like a shot, Jean-Claude charged into the club, and found McQueeny. “They took the van—those two punks took the van! The twins are in there!”
Almost as one, everyone was on their feet and heading out. Quickly, those that were in the missing van were spread amongst the two cars, and Jean-Claude took the wheel of the car that Yuriya had taken. However, this was the first time that he saw what she had been driving, and he realized that it was a Trans Am. He looked at his wife and said, “God bless you for getting this car, but, how did you get this?”
“It was all that the Brownlicks had ready,” she said.
He kissed his wife, and said, “I love you!”
“I know,” she smiled back.
He stuck his head out, and said, “Anjou, call the police, and tell them that a black, unmarked Trans Am will be in pursuit. Tell them why!”
With that, he peeled out with Turlo and McQueeny in the back, (set in a position to counterbalance the weight in the car.) The other two vehicles pulled out, and the van was having a hard time keeping up, but the limo was flying. Anjou was at the wheel, using the car phone to call the police. Once the learned of the danger, they said they would be right on it. They also said to her, “But tell the Trans Am to hold back. There's no need for any of that.”
“It's too late for that, he's already gone,” she said.
The dispatcher sighed, and said, “Okay, but I hope he's ready for a big fine.”
“With his twins in there,” Anjou responded, “I don't think he would be all that concerned.”
She hung up and was chasing the Trans Am. Turlo was in with some of the other boys, and he was worried that she could not handle things. He shouted to her, “Say, um, do you think that maybe one of us should…” but he was thrown to the side and on the floor in back as she was dodging the traffic, diving like she was Mario Andretti. If she were that at that moment, Jean-Claude was Richard Petty. It was a stick shift that he was driving, and he was popping gears as if it were a NASCAR race. The van did not even bother trying to keep up, figuring that they would eventually catch up to them. All they would have to look for was the fleet of police cars called to handle the mess.
 
Sure enough, they were being joined by the state troopers that had been called in to handle things. They were driving hemis, so they could keep up. One of them pulled alongside him, and signaled for them to put down the window. Jean-Claude shouted over the wind and engines, “I see them: they're up ahead!”
“Slow down: we have it!” shouted the trooper in return, “Don't add to it!”
“You're high!” Jean-Claude shouted back, “They have my kids!”
“Then don't endanger them!” the trooper called out, “Get out of the chase!”
However, as they were talking, their pace slowed, and Anjou shot by. The trooper cursed, and said, “Just don't do anything stupid!” as he went for the limo. However, Jean-Claude, who had been in fourth gear the whole time, (all he thought he needed to catch the van,) dropped it into fifth and took off like shot through a gun. By this point, there were at least five trooper cars following them. Along with the limo and the Trans Am, the police cars were moving in to try to corral the van and slow them down. However, those in the van were aware of the chase, and the driver was from that area, so he knew the places to go. Without warning, he cut over and found an off ramp. Just as fast, Jean-Claude and Anjou were in hot pursuit. This was followed by about two trooper cars that were able to compensate for the quick change, and now they were glad that they had the other two cars there, because it would make it easier to keep tabs on the van, which could have slipped into the neighborhoods to get away. Cream Cheese was driving the other van, and was able to see the chase off in the distance, and the two sets of lights going onto the off ramp. He followed up, in hopes of not losing the others. Meanwhile, Boston's finest were already preparing, as they were clearing out roads and alleys in an attempt to allow the pursuit to be safer. Yet, as the pursuit went on, there was going to be a surprise for the thieves. The van took a risky turn as the driver slipped down an alley, and they nearly spilled. Jean-Claude and Anjou took the next road as one trooper went to the one before it in case the van managed to get past them, and the last managed to catch the alley. However, the sharp turn awoke the twins, who both looked over the top of the seat to see no one in there save the two boys. Sheila was about to say something, but Mickey thought surprise would be better. Instead, they managed to crawl close to the front, and Mickey reached out mentally and pulled all the spark plugs. The engine came to a stop as they coasted. The boys could not figure out what was happening as they coasted to a stop. Then the twins, to get the point across, both vamped out and came from behind, saying in a scary voice, “You awoke us, and you two are very tasty!”
The boys both looked around and saw them, and they both screamed like women. They both stumbled over each other trying to get out, and they ran back down the alley, only to see the approaching police car. They dug in their heels, and did an about face. However, a limo and a Trans Am blocked the alley going the other way. Out hopped Anjou and Jean-Claude, both out of sight of the others, but both vamped out. They screamed again, but they could not get away this time. Both Anjou and Jean-Claude picked up the boys and made their way down the alley. The police were almost at the van when the two boys came out of the dark, followed by Jean-Claude screaming, “Hook `em, book `em, cook `em!”
However, the police were not as sympathetic to the other two, as they were also told to put their hands up. They were temporarily cuffed as a precaution for their pursuit, but it was determined that they would both receive sizeable fines. The sergeant scolded them both, but Jean-Claude said, “They were my kids! What would you have done?”
Jean-Claude really did not care, considering they were both a drop in the bucket due to Jean-Claude's now vast fortune. By this point, the other van had caught up, and statements were being taken. It was decided that there was no one responsible but the two boys, and that everyone could go on, despite the large tickets that Anjou and Jean-Claude had received. Yet, the two boys were screaming, “They're monsters! Their freakin' vampires! Get us out of here!”
However, the smell of the liquor on their breaths was not garnishing much in the way of sympathy. Because they were so gone, the police wrote it off to their drunken state, and gave it no mind. They would be charged with grand theft auto, kidnapping, (of which Jean-Claude and Yuriya were more than happy to press charges,) driving while intoxicated, drinking underage, and reckless driving. Needless to say, they would not be seeing outside the borders of Massachusetts for a long time! Jean-Claude placed a call back to Richard before it built to a head back home, and he understood what had happened. Therefore, no actions would be taken against the remaining students, save the two, who would be expelled, and face charges from the school as well. At that point, Yuriya was hugging the twins like someone was about to take them away again, and Mickey told his dad to check the spark plugs on the van. When he saw they were all detached, and when he learned what the twins had done, he told them, “Now that's the way to shake your big sticks!”
With that, they went off to Boston for their competitions.
 
 
 
5