Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Kingdom of Hearts: Noble Nobody ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Final Chapter: Epilogue
 
Leo lay on the cold floor of the Gummi ship's cargo bay contemplating his past. He had no right to live; right now he could still feel the darkness of his heart still in his chest. The only difference was that now there was light as well. The light had now exposed the darkness within his heart and Leo could do no more than cry for both him and his brother. “What kind of monster would do that to his own flesh and blood? All for power?” Leo felt sick and in so much pain he was sure that he was dying right now. The emotions flowed through him and his body and he was so overwhelmed he thought that he would literally die.
 
Suddenly the door to the cargo bay opened and Leo could hear through all the pain the sound of Yuffie's voice calling out to him. With her voice came another wave of emotion that Leo was still adjusting to, he didn't know why but he didn't want Yuffie to find him right now. He was ashamed of himself, how could he face someone he cared about so much with all that he did? What if he hurt her too?
 
Yuffie continued calling out to him her voice becoming more and more panicky with each call since Leo was not responding. Leo felt the emotion continue to build within him and he suddenly gasped out loud, this drew the attention of Yuffie. The young ninja leapt over a few crates of material within the ship and ran over to Leo. “You ok?” said Yuffie as she frantically search his body for life threatening wounds or bruises. Leo just shook his head the horror of his life still silencing him even now. Yuffie then went to check his head and for the first time their two eyes met and held. As Yuffie gazed into Leo's eyes she saw a well of emotion unlike any that she had ever seen before. Save for one person.
 
“Leo, what happened?” said Yuffie as she gripped the side of his head wiping some of the tears away from his cheek. As Leo saw the worry in the young ninja's face he felt another pain rip through him but this seemed to open up the wound that had been growing inside of him. Sitting up Leo grabbed Yuffie in a tight hug and let loose sobbing and crying for all he was worth. Yuffie startled returned the hug and felt herself wanting to cry as well. It's my fault that he is like this if I never asked him to do this…thought the young ninja. “Leo,” said Yuffie softly causing the flow of tears from the young man to stop momentarily, “tell me what happened.” Leo sighed and began the story of what he saw and what he learned.
 
~A little while later
 
Yuffie and Leo entered the cockpit of the Gummi ship. Cid turned back to them, “So what took so long in there?” questioned the pilot gruffly. That was until he saw the look on Leo's face and the pity and sorrow in the usually flamboyant Yuffie. Jeez, never mind thought Cid as he returned to piloting the ship. The two sat down in their seats reflecting on what had transpired earlier in the cargo hold.
 
~Flashback
“The last thing I remember is blacking out just when the heart beat had seemed to grow unbearable,” said Leo. Yuffie nodded but she still couldn't quite understand one thing, “how is it that you were able to obtain a second heart?” asked the ninja. Leo shook his head ruffling his gray hair further, “I don't know all I remember was thinking about you right before I died and then suddenly I had a strange feeling in my chest.” Yuffie upon hearing that blushed but tried to hide it from Leo. “But the other me is still in here,” said Leo as he placed a hand over his chest and causing Yuffie to look sadly at the young man.
 
“How, how can I accept what I've done? My sins are much too great for me to just simply let them go and I can't make it up to my brother for what I have done to him. There is no forgiveness for what I've done and,” said Leo sadly looking at Yuffie, “I don't know if I can ever get rid of my darkness, what if I hurt you too?” At this poignant question Leo bunched his legs under his chin and stared sadly out at the wall of the cargo ship as if looking for an answer in the metal surface.
 
Yuffie sighed and said out loud, “you sound just like him.” Leo looked up in question, “Who?” asked the young man. “Cloud,” said Yuffie, “you sound exactly like him. He was always going on about his own darkness as well; you two would get along great.” Yuffie then sighed and got up and walked around for a bit, “I can't help you with your darkness Leo but maybe Cloud can help you along the way.” “This guy can help me?” asked Leo, “Maybe,” said Yuffie as she helped Leo to his feet an annoyed look on her face, “if we can find the jerk that is.”
 
~at Hollow Bastion
 
A lone figure walked up to the Burrow's door, the man's spiky blonde hair seemed to glow from the reflective light cast by the gigantic sword on his back. The sun shined down on the figure as he knocked on the door. A light voice could be heard inside, “I'm coming hold your horses,” said Aerith's voice as she opened the door. She then stood holding the door in shock, “Cloud,” she breathed.
 
The Gummi ship came to a stand still as the engine switched to hover mode and landed upon the surface that was the Burrow's heli-pad. The engines hissed as they slowly cooled off, the landing ramp for the ship opened up and the three strode down. Yuffie stretched and yawned, “I am tired,” said the young ninja. “I find that hard to believe,” said Cid as he flicked the spent cigarette upon the ground, “Ow,” cried Cid as Yuffie karate chopped him. Leo snorted at the sight causing the two of them to look at him, “what?” questioned the young man. “And here I thought you were a mute now,” said Cid “you haven't said a single word on the ride back.”
 
“That's just because he didn't have anything to say to you,” said Yuffie crossly, “but I am glad you can laugh,” said Yuffie as she looked over at Leo. “So when are we going to see this Cloud guy?” asked Leo of the young ninja. Cid's eyebrows went into his hair, “Cloud? Why would you want to see Cloud?” asked Cid. “It's personal so mind your own business,” said Yuffie with a stifled yawn. “We will look for Cloud tomorrow ok Leo? I'm just too tired, I think I'll go say hi to Aerith and Leon and then head to bed.”
 
Leo nodded, “I'm not tired but you can go on ahead,” Leo then turned and headed down the steps and went on his way. Cid lit up another cigarette, “so where is that kid going?” asked the pilot. “I think I know,” said Yuffie as she reflected back on that day where she gave Leo his first ice cream.
 
Yuffie came down the steps and saw Aerith as she was walking down the corridor, “Hey Aerith where is Leon?” questioned the young ninja. “Probably sulking,” said Aerith with a sigh, “he came to visit today.” Yuffie just stopped she knew exactly who he was. “Cloud? He's here?” questioned the young ninja. “He just dropped by on his way out,” said Aerith, “he was just visiting us and that he really had to go but I managed to convince him to stay for dinner and wait for you and Cid to get back.”
 
“Where is he?” asked the young ninja, Aerith gestured out the door, “he said he was going to go take a walk.” Yuffie then ran out the door causing Aerith to shake her head, “always on the run, speaking of which I guess I need to find Leon.” Said Aerith as she walked up to the warrior's locked bedroom door and knocked. “Leon, are you in there?”
 
~Outside
 
Leo walked to the usual vista and sat down on the small wall looking out over the scene, he saw the view and for the first time he felt he understood a little better. The beautiful view, the memories with the others…with Yuffie, it all came back to him. Except this time there was something more, there was happiness and sorrow. “How can I call this place home? How can I deserve such a thing, what if I it happens again?” Leo sighed and looked to the horizon, “how can we know what will happen until it happens?” asked a voice behind Leo.
 
Turning the gray-headed teen saw a blonde man with bright green eyes and a large sword on his back. Leo sighed, “The past tends to repeat itself doesn't it?” he asked plaintively of the man. The solemn figure of the blonde man made his way closer to the teen, “only if he lets it,” said the man. Leo blinked and looked to the horizon, “how would you know?” asked Leo dismissively.
 
“Because like you I have that darkness in my heart as well,” said the man as he gazed out into the horizon with sad eyes. Leo gazed up at the man as a dawning realization came upon him as well, “he is…like me.” Suddenly a light voice was heard causing the two to look behind them at say at the same time, “Yuffie?” The ninja arrived panting as the both the teen and the man looked at each other questioningly. Yuffie sighed and stood up walking between them, “man,” she commented as she looked at both of them, “you even sound alike. Leo, that's Cloud.” Said the ninja as she introduced the two.
 
Leo then understood, it was exactly as Yuffie had said, finding a newfound respect Leo held his hand up, “hey Cloud,” the blonde man gave a small half-smile and returned the handshake, “hey Leo.”
 
~Inside
 
Aerith watched as the door open as Leon stood on the other side. “What? Don't you want to spend some time with Cloud?” Aerith sighed, “Of course but not the way you make it out to be.” “And how am I making it out to be?” asked Leon a little harshly, “you just about fell all over the place the moment he walked in.” “That's because I haven't seen him in so long I would do the same if you disappeared on me for a year and a half!” exclaimed Aerith a little angrily. Leon grunted, “Maybe I should,” said the man as he walked back into the room.
 
Aerith sighed as she followed after him, men can be such children! Thought the young woman. She saw as Leon went over to his chair and sit down his back to her, Aerith came over and lay her hand on his shoulder. “I can't say that I'm not happy to see Cloud,” said Aerith causing Leon to slouch a little in his chair, “but he isn't the one I'm talking to now is he?” Leon looked up into her smiling face, “I may have felt something for Cloud a long time ago but ultimately it wasn't to be. I accepted that, but I don't want to lose you just because you are a little bit jealous.” “I'm not jealous,” said Leon turning away causing Aerith to laugh a little at his child-like behavior. “Well, maybe a little,” muttered Leon as he turned back around he grabbed her hand on his shoulder.
 
“I'll be here,” said Aerith as she leaned forward and rest her head on his hand, “because I do love you.” “I know,” said Leon as he looked into her eyes and smiled. “Come on, I think I hear the others calling,” said Aerith as she moved to the door. “You coming,” she asked Leon. “I'll be down for dinner soon enough,” said Leon with a sigh. Aerith smiled as she went down to help out with the food.
 
~a little while later
Leon stood up and made a toast to congratulate their success on regaining Leo's heart. “I'll be sure to tell King Mickey the good news when he contacts us.” “Now dig in everyone!” cried Aerith as everyone went to eating.
 
The meal was soon finished but before everyone could go to their rooms to sleep off the effects of the meal Leo stood up. “Actually there is a little bit more,” said Leo causing everyone to look over at him. Yuffie grabbed his hand to offer some support, Leo mouthed a, “thank you,” and continued on with his story of what had taken place on the World that Never Was.
 
The others all seemed to have different expressions on their face; Cid seemed to have gone through a whole pack of cigarettes and was now wearing an expression of utmost concentration on his face. Merlin seemed to have even more scrutiny in his gaze upon Leo than normal. Aerith and Leon seemed unable to even look at him their eyes off to the side. Cloud however was standing off in a corner his eyes closed and his head tilted to the floor as if in meditation. Leo finished telling his story and there seemed to be a collective sigh throughout the house. “So that explains why the seals were being removed,” said Leon with a sigh as he scratched his head. “But what about this partner your dark heart mentioned?” asked Cloud from the other side of the room, “Did he happen to mention a name, like Sephiroth?”
 
At the pronouncement of the name almost everyone in the house besides Leo seemed to go on edge. Leo however just shook his head, “he didn't say who he was working with.” “Besides,” said Leo looking down at the ground, “my dark heart isn't really gone, I can still feel him and sometimes I can hear him talking to me. I'm not sure if I'm really safe with any of you,” said Leo as he turned to face Yuffie. “I think I need to leave,” said Leo as he headed toward the door. “I don't think that's such a good idea kid,” said Cid causing Leo to stop and everyone to look at the pilot.
 
Sighing Cid was about to light his cigarette but then decided against it, “If what you told us is true what stopped your other self was that new heart of yours right?” Leo nodded, “well then,” said Cid as he crossed his arms, “the only way you got that new heart of yours was because you found something that was able to give you your heart. You were able to find friends and a home. So the last thing you need to do is leave that all behind and make your way out there alone. That might mean you would end up like you were before hand wouldn't it?” By now everyone was looking at Cid as if for the first time in their lives, even Cloud was staring at the pilot. “What?” asked the pilot, “that was either the nicest or weirdest thing I have ever seen,” said Yuffie. “Yea Cid when did you go all deep on us?” said Aerith as she continued to stare at the pilot.
 
“I'm deep,” said Cid angrily as he reached for his cigarette, “it's just that none of you bother to listen to me is all.”
 
Leo just shook his head, “thank you Cid,” said the young teen as the pilot just grunted. “But that doesn't change the fact that I've lost all my strength, I can't use my swords and I'm incapable of even summoning my dark side's keyblade. I would just be a pain to all of you should we ever get attacked, or if worse my other side takes control and I attack all of you.”
 
Cloud then looked up from his side of the room, “so you are worried about being a burden on those around you?” “Yea,” said Leo, “that and I'm afraid that I can't be able to help or protect those I care about. I just don't want to end up like I did on Destiny Island, never again.” Cloud for the first time all night smiled a true smile causing everyone in the room to stare at him in shock now. “I can be able to help you there,” said Cloud as he walked over and kneeled down and placed his hands on Leo's shoulders. “I can teach you how to fight that darkness within you, and I can help you learn how to protect the ones you love. But it won't be easy and you will probably won't make it unless you are willing to commit yourself to it fully. So I ask you are you ready?”
 
Leo looked at Cloud and past him to all the others in the Burrow, “Yea,” said the young gray headed teen with fire in his eyes. “Good,” said Cloud standing up, “then we will leave in the morning, if that's ok with the girl's that is?” Questioned the blonde as he looked over at Yuffie and Aerith. The girls blushed a little and agreed, “Get some sleep tonight,” said Cloud to Leo. “It's probably going to be the last for awhile.”
 
~3 months later
 
A gray headed man walked down the narrow streets of Hollow Bastion. His dark uniform was baggy on him, but then again Cloud's old uniform still managed to fit the young man pretty well. Leo was now about an inch or two taller and his new muscles rippled under the uniform, his hair had grown out a little and instead being in its spiked form it hung down across his face giving him an even closer appearance to his twin brother. A claymore wrapped in bandages was hanging form his back and it was almost the size of the boy's body yet he knew he could wield it as if it were light as a feather. The two months had been hell but he was stronger than he ever was before.
 
“Leo! Finally back I see you bum,” said a familiar voice causing Leo to smile, “I was wondering when you were going to announce yourself!” called up Leo to the young ninja who just stepped from behind a sign on top of the nearby building. “I know you couldn't hear me,” said Yuffie as she leaned against the sign. “I've gotten better,” said Leo with a chuckle, “and besides I could feel your heart even if you were a mile away right here,” said Leo as he placed his hand over his own heart. Yuffie blushed at that statement but then regained her composure.
 
“You owe me a spar Leo,” she said as she un-slung her giant shuriken, “Yea I know,” said Leo with a grin as he grabbed the handle of his sword as the bandages fell away to reveal the large sword. “Come on then!” cried Yuffie as she threw her shuriken, Leo stepped back as the blade cut a line in the ground in front of him. Yuffie then caught the blade as it whirled back to her, “that all you've got?” asked Yuffie. Suddenly a light flashed and she had to jump to dodge the attack that made the roof beneath her explode. When she looked down she understood: Leo had used the bandages to throw his blade into the roof. “Keep your eyes on your enemy!” cried Leo, suddenly he grasped the bandages and flexed his powerful muscles, the embedded blade didn't move but Leo had launched himself into the air using the bandages as a bungee cord to launch himself to Yuffie. The girl watched in shock as he came right toward her. His force pulled the sword from its embedding and into his hand.
 
The two warriors were now flying straight at each other; Yuffie's eyes were wide as the sword came into Leo's hand. Brining it forward Leo was flying directly at her they were but a few yards from each other. Yuffie grabbed two small shuriken and threw them at him. Leo deflected the blades by using the broad side of his blade, thinking that this was her chance Yuffie was now upon him. She brought her large windmill shuriken down upon his blade, using this lift she brought her foot up and tried to bring it down upon his head. Leo used his arm to block the kick and then turning in mid-air he made a horizontal slash which collided with her shuriken and knocking the two of them apart. Yuffie fell to the ground digging her feet into the building across from the one they were above during the clash in an effort to slow her. Leo just crashed into the ceiling of the building they were fighting above before hand using his strength to take the force.
 
Leo stood up from the fall, cracks in the cement roof all around where he had landed. Turning he walked over to the side of the roof, “you ok?” he asked Yuffie. “Yea, I'm fine,” said Yuffie as she stood up on the ground panting, he's strong but he fights exactly like Cloud thought the young ninja to bad I know Cloud's style, I can win this fight. “Well then let's keep going!” said Leo. Yuffie then charged at him and started running up the building. Leo then came down the side of the 10 story building, “Guess it's time to pull out all the stops,” thought Leo as he saw Yuffie coming at him fast. Suddenly the blade in his hand glowed and shifted, Yuffie's eyes went wide just as the two hit causing a massive explosion.
 
Suddenly two bodies fell to the ground, Leo and Yuffie landed on their feet panting. In Leo's hands was a black katana, suddenly two pieces of metal fell to the ground. The windmill shuriken had been cut in two and it was now laying embedded in the ground. Yuffie stood there and understood what had happened. If he had kept that large blade it would have locked with my windmill shuriken, instead his blade became a lot smaller which allowed him to swing it with more power and speed and allow him to cleave my blade in two. “And here I thought you fought like Cloud!” said Yuffie with a smile, Leo stood up fully as the blade changed back to its large form, twisting it the blade was re-wrapped in its bandages and Leo slung it over his back.
 
“You assumed and I used that to my advantage,” said Leo calmly. Yuffie sighed and closed her eyes, he talks like Cloud though. When she opened her eyes again she suddenly found herself staring into Leo's deep brown eyes. “Cloud taught me how to fight for what I believe in but he and I are different,” said Leo with a smile. Yuffie blushed and was about to speak when Leo suddenly leaned forward and kissed her. The young ninja started for a bit but slowly returned the kiss. No, he isn't like Cloud at all, thought Yuffie with a smile Leo couldn't see.
 
Leon and Aerith looked at the young couple from the Burrow and smiled; Leon draped his arm around Aerith's waist and held her close to him. Cid snorted, “Geez, kid's these days. I'm going to go back to my ship designs.” He turned around and stuck his hands in his pockets and headed to his room, “Ah, young love,” said the sagely Merlin as he gazed upon the two from his room in the attic of the Burrow. Adjusting his glasses and giving a benevolent smile he returned to his experiments.
 
Leo and Yuffie broke from their embrace, “the others are waiting for you,” said the young ninja. “Ok,” said Leo, “but I'm a little tired, Cloud hasn't let me sleep well for about 3 months now.” “I'm sure you'll be…” said Yuffie as Leo suddenly slumped fast asleep on her shoulder. Sighing Yuffie muttered, “Boys,” blushing she shifted her weight to sling the young man on her shoulder and take him back home and to his bed.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
Endnotes: This is the end of my fic. Thanks for the reviews kngdmhrts15 I appreciate it. I am planning on making a continuation on this fic that is going to be like a Kingdom of Hearts 3 fan fiction, it's going to center around Sora and Riku but of course Leo and the others are going to make an appearance. So those of you, who liked this one, check in the future for my next Kingdom of Hearts fan fiction. By the way sorry it took so long to bring this one out I've been on vacation and couldn't use the computer.