Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytales ❯ Yuuri's Love Letter ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

DISCLAIMER: Kyou Kara Maou belonged to Tomo Takabayashi. If it had been mine I would have had Yuri and Wolfram together a looong time ago. *sigh* Oh, well. And feedback is very welcome, people! ☺
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Actually, I'm a little too late for Valentine's Day but just in time for White Day. So, enjoy!
 
FAIRYTALES: YUURI'S LOVE LETTER
By Arayelle
 
Wolfram eyed the item in his hand critically, bringing it over to the sunlight which streamed through the windows. The item glinted under the light, any flaws were completely non-existent. “There, it's done!” he finally declared, cradling the item as if it was the most precious thing in the world.
 
It had taken him great pains and time to create it. Not to mention a lot of maryoku. But at last, all the effort, the patience was finally paid off. Looking at its smooth surface and beautiful glitter, he was sure that Yuuri would love it.
 
Humming a nameless tune to himself, Wolfram placed the item inside a small pink pouch. Staring at it for the thousandth time, he then pocketed the pouch inside his breast pocket, close to his heart. Then, looking at himself in the mirror, he adjusted his uniform and made his way towards the exit. Most likely to find his black haired, black eyed fiancé.
 
xxxXxx
 
“Here's the last of the bunch,” Gunter grunted, placing an armful of papers ready to be approved and signed. Yuuri took a glance at them before letting out a whine. “Gunter, can't we take a break?”
 
The silver-haired advisor gave him a sympathetic look. He was about to offer a profuse apology when Wolfram cut him off. “Hennachoko, you should be thankful that aniue has sorted out the more important papers for you to sign. You won't believe how many he has to approve for your sake.” The blond mazoku entered the room, with Conrad in tow.
 
“Don't call me that,” Yuuri protested, his eyes seeking for Conrad's support. He absent mindedly rubbed his tired hands. Seeing that, Wolfram walked up to his side and knelt before the maou. “Eh Wolfram, what are you doing?”
 
Wordlessly, the blonde took his sore hand in his left one. Then his right hand hovered over them, glowing green. Seconds later, the ache subsided. “There, better now?” his fiancé inquired, gently. He was reluctant to release Yuuri's hand so the black-haired did it for him.
 
Yuuri flexed his hand. “It is better,” he admitted. “Thanks, Wolfram.”
 
The blonde shrugged. “It's the least I could do.”
 
Conrad looked on, unwilling to break the rare tender moments the two have but Gunter seemed to have a better idea. “Heika, if you feel up to take a short break, perhaps you'd like to read your mails now.”
 
“Ooh… mails!” Yuuri brushed his hands together as the older mazoku placed a bunch of envelopes onto the table. As Yuuri started to sort through his mails, Conrad saw his little brother patted something in his breast pocket before shaking his head to himself. He watched with no apparent interest as Yuuri read through all his mails.
 
“Eh, what's this?” Yuuri questioned after pushing aside his 35th invitation to be RSVPed. The other three turned to see a red envelope with a little heart-shaped seal. Yuuri's name was written in a beautiful stroke. “I don't think this is another dinner invitation,” he said, glancing at them. “Could it be another fan letter?”
 
“Why, it's a love letter!” Gunter gushed, putting two and two together.
 
“What!” the letter was plucked out of Yuuri's grasp before he had the chance to open it. Wolfram broke the seal, huffing. “Nobody send my fiancé a love letter without my saying so,” he said. Yuuri bit his tongue from telling the blonde about all the other love letters he had been keeping in the secret compartment of his drawer. He watched as Wolfram took out the letter.
 
Suddenly, Wolfram coughed as a bit of white powder escaped the piece of paper as he unfolded it. He held the paper away from his nostrils as he tried to ease his irritated lungs. “What was your secret admirer thinking? Choking you to death?”
 
Yuuri decided to snatch the letter back. He caught a whiff of sweet scent coming from the letter. It was definitely a female admirer. “I don't know, Wolfram. The smell is not so bad,” he said as the blonde continued to cough out the particles he had inhaled.
 
The letter was snatched again, this time by Lady Celi whom none of them saw her enter. “My dearest Maou,” she read. “I hope this isn't too forward of me but I can't seemed to be able to forget you.”
 
“What!” Wolfram rasped, his face red from too much coughing. He turned to Yuuri sharply. “Have you been cheating on me?”
 
Before Yuuri could defend his innocence, Lady Celi continued. “No, we have not officially met, I assure you.” Yuuri gave Wolfram an indignant look. “I saw you at the Winter Ball last year and I think you're the most handsome man I've ever seen. I love your shiny black hair, the kindness in your ebony eyes, your smile. When I saw you walked around the ballroom, you took my breath away. I wanted to walk to you, touch you and hold you in my arms but I am sorry to say that courage fled my heart and I am left feeling desolate and empty.”
 
“My dearest Yuuri. I apologized if this letter found you in an inconvenience. I was informed of your engagement to Lord von Bielefeld. Such lucky man. If only things were different. Oh, I'm sorry if this displeased you. I'm trying to express my sincere feelings for you albeit too late. Please remember when you two finally tie the knots, you'll always have my love. Yours forever, Lady Elaine,” Lady Celi finished.
 
“Ooh… what a lovely letter,” Gunter said, clasping his hands together. “What a sad, sad girl. She must be feeling deeply disappointed to learn that Yuuri-heika is engaged to the lord…” he stopped himself from saying `brat' in time to say, “Lord von Bielefeld.” He turned to Yuuri. “I supposed a bouquet of flowers and an apology letter is the appropriate reply as usual?”
 
“What! You mean this happened before?” Wolfram exclaimed, looking at Yuuri and Gunter back and forth. Realizing his little slip, Gunter decided to keep his mouth shut while Yuuri rubbed his temple as a headache made its presence known.
 
Fortunately for him, Sangria appeared at the exact moment, announcing that lunch was ready. “Thank you, Sangria,” Yuuri said, meaning more than the lunch announcement. “Well, let's go before the food gets cold,” he said, effectively silencing Wolfram. He stood and walked around the desk to join Conrad, Gunter and Lady Celi at the door. Wolfram started to follow when suddenly he stumbled. He would have fallen embarrassingly face down on the floor if Yuuri had not caught him in time.
 
“Wolfram! Are you alright?” Concerned pair of black eyes regarded him.
 
He shook his spinning head, wondering why his feet felt like jelly. `I must've used a lot more maryoku than I thought,' he reflected to himself before looking up to his fiancé's handsome face. “I'm fine. I just tripped over the rug,” he lied, smiling sheepishly. Then noticing the close proximity of their faces, he blushed.
 
“Well… ahem… if you say so,” Yuuri said, releasing him immediately. He ignored the light of disappointment in Wolfram's eyes and continued, “If there's nothing else, we better get going. I'm starving.”
 
Wolfram watched Yuuri left with the others. Once he made sure that strength has returned to his legs, he made to follow them.
 
xxxXxxx
 
“I can't believe you let me missed breakfast like that,” Wolfram said, yawning into his hand. He struggled to catch up with Yuuri's long strides as they made their way towards the study.
 
“For the fifth and last time, it was not my fault,” Yuuri protested, quickening his pace. They were both late for the weekly meeting. “I've tried waking you up early this morning. Greta tried as well. But all you did was mumbling something and fell asleep some more. We thought you were tired so we decided to have our breakfast and bring something up for you. How was I supposed to know that it'll be this hard to wake you up today?”
 
“Yeah, by drenching me with my breakfast,” Wolfram retorted. “Do you know how hard it'll be to get rid of the stains?”
 
“I tripped, okay. I'm sorry,” Yuuri apologized, looking sheepish. “Besides, why should you be concern over something like that? It's not like you'll be the one to do the laundry, right?”
 
Hearing that, Wolfram halted in the middle of a huge yawn. He grinned mischievously. “Heh, you're right,” he agreed, considering this little incident as a chance to assert his long overdue revenge upon the blabbermouths they called royal maids.
 
“You know I am,” Yuuri responded, smiling as another yawn broke from the blonde's lips. He always thought that Wolfram looked cute when he was all sleepy-eyed and dazed. Like a little boy.
 
The grin faded from Wolfram's face as he stared at Yuuri. Then, looking down at his feet from the sudden feeling of bashfulness, he changed the subject. “Ne, Yuuri. If it isn't any trouble, would you like to have dinner with me tonight?” Before Yuuri could say that they always had dinner together, Wolfram quickly added, “Just the two of us?”
 
His request took Yuuri completely by surprise.
 
“Ahem…” a gruff voice interrupted their conversation. The two turned to see four pair of eyes staring at them patiently. It was then they realized that they were standing in front of the meeting room, with its door open!
 
Scratching the back of his head awkwardly, Yuuri made his way to the head of the table. Wolfram ignored the look the others were throwing at them as he sat himself beside Conrad. For a moment, Yuuri studied the faces of those in the room. Sitting on his right was Murata who was giving him a look akin to a smirk, next to him sat Gunter. The brothers were seated on his left with Gwendal nearest to him followed by Conrad and Wolfram. All of them made up as Yuuri's closest, most trusted advisors.
 
Gwendal cleared his throat, breaking the silence. “Now that Heika and Lord von Bielefeld have finally decided to grace us with their presence, perhaps we should get this meeting going,” he suggested, thinking of the piles and piles of report just waiting for him in his office.
 
Whoops! Gwendal had gone all formal. It could mean that he and Wolfram were in serious trouble. Yuuri cringed at the subtle chastise, giving Wolfram a look that could only be interpreted as `this is all your fault' in which, the blonde returned with a careless yawn.
 
“Now, would be good, Heika!” Gwendal barked, breaking the maou's thought to get him to begin the meeting.
 
“Hai!” Yuuri jumped in attention, just like Gwendal soldiers did, before remembering that he was the KING. Gulping, he tugged at the collar of his uniform before beginning with a “Good morning, everyone.”
 
xxxXxxx
 
Later that day, Yuuri found himself in his room, standing with his arms stretched wide as a middle-aged woman with a measuring tape, extending the tape across his shoulders, arms and around his body. Across the room, stood Lady Celi eyeing the process critically.
 
“Hahaue, I understand that Yuuri is in need of a new wardrobe and all but why am I being drag into this as well?” Wolfram's voice reminded Yuuri that he was also in there. A young woman was draping some materials onto the blonde's shoulders to determine which fabric went well with the blonde's fair complexion.
 
“Oh my dear Wolfram, you can't expect to be able to fit in your clothes from last year. Both you and Heika are growing boys. You need your supply of clothes changed every year,” Lady Celi explained, shaking her head at the fabric the young seamstress draped over Wolfram's shoulder. “Wrong shade of blue.” Then she shook her head. “In fact, I think my son has enough blue. I think something in green would be nice.” She nodded at her idea. “Yes, that would be perfect. He has not many of them.”
 
The seamstress glanced at the blonde, particularly his eyes. “Yes, maybe something jade or emerald green. Or a little turquoise.”
 
Wolfram sighed, shifting his tired feet. “Don't I have any say in this matter?”
 
“Or me?” Yuuri inserted, hoping to request something that is not black.
 
The three women chorused, “No!” Greta giggled at the look of disappointment in her fathers' faces.
 
“Though, Heika might have a point,” Lady Celi reconsidered. “Maybe we could throw in something colored so he could wear them when he's in disguise. What do you think?” she asked the older seamstress.
 
The old seamstress glanced at all the black fabrics she had brought with her then at the maou. “That would be wise, my lady,” she answered before signaling to Yuuri that she had finished her measurement.
 
“Great!” Lady Celi clapped her hands together. “And while we're at it, why don't we start planning for the wedding uniforms,” she suggested, drawing panicked glances from the two boys. Ignoring their expression, she continued, “I was thinking of something white. Heika never wears white… and I know my darling Wolfram would look great in white.”
 
“But my lady, this would be a royal wedding. The old constitution dictates that the couple should wear the royal color,” the older seamstress protested.
 
Lady Celi waved off the concern. “The constitution is made by the 13th maou. I'm sure we can get Heika to change it as he sees fit. Besides, I'm sure Yuuri-heika would look even better in white.”
 
“I agree, my lady,” said the younger seamstress. Being young, she was more than ready for a new change.
 
“Hahaue!” Wolfram successfully interrupted the women's planning, blushing uncontrollably. He and Yuuri had been trying to gain their attention and after the 17th try, the three women finally turned to him. “I think you're getting way ahead of yourself,” he said, quietly.
 
“That's right,” Yuuri supported. “Besides, there isn't going to be a wedding anytime soon. Especially not mine,” he added, missing the look of pain on Wolfram's face as he fully addressed the women.
 
Before they could protest any further, the door swung open to admit the other double black. “I see. This is how you spend your quality time with your fiancé and daughter, huh, Shibuya?”
 
“Shut up, Murata. And what brings you here?” Yuuri questioned, curiously. “I thought Gunter said I have the day off.”
 
“Relax, Shibuya. It's nothing like that,” Murata answered, smiling at the women. “These lovely ladies sent for me. Something about needing a new wardrobe.”
 
Yuuri groaned. “You too, huh?”
 
“Yup but there is another invitation as well,” he said. “You rang, Your Highness,” he continued, with an overly exaggerated bow at Greta. The little girl giggled before making her way towards the Great Sage, her arms behind her back.
 
She looked up at him, shyly. “Actually, I couldn't find you so I sent Dacascos after you.”
 
“And he has found me,” Murata said, kneeling before the little girl. “Is there something the matter?” he asked, though the light in eyes reflected that he already knew what this was all about.
 
“Nothing,” Greta answered, pulling her arms to the front. “I just wanted to give you this,” she said, opening both her palms to reveal a small box. “Happy White Day, Geika.”
 
Murata smiled. “Why thank you, Greta,” he said, wondering where to put this new addition after receiving plenty of them since that morning. Ever since the tradition of Valentine's Day was introduced by him a month earlier, the castle folks had been curious about the White Day tradition, thanks to Wolfram.
 
Suddenly, another wrapped box appeared on his vision. He looked up and trailed the arms back to a fair face with green eyes and golden hair. “This is my return gift,” Wolfram said, grudgingly. His face was turned away but the double black could tell that the blonde was blushing. “Now, we're even.”
 
“Thank you, Lord von Bielefeld,” he said, then smirked. “And that color looks good on you.”
 
Startled, Wolfram turned to see the fabric sample still draped on his shoulder. With an indignant huff, he quickly snatched it off him only to yelp in pain and dropped the cloth.
 
“Wolfram! What's wrong?” Yuuri was quick to act, seeing how his friend cradled his hand. Wolfram turned away from him, pushing the offended finger into his mouth and start sucking.
 
“Wolfram, let me look,” Yuuri insisted, pulling the finger free. He held it in his hand as a speck of red started to pour out from a tiny cut. “You're hurt.”
 
The blonde pulled his hand back. “Leave it alone. I just pricked on something from the cloth,” he explained, not wanting Yuuri or anyone's pity over something so trivial.
 
The young seamstress picked up the fabric and examined it. “My apology, Lord von Bielefeld. I accidentally left a pin here when I last work on it.”
 
“Well, make sure there won't be a repeat,” Wolfram mumbled, his finger back in his mouth.
 
Seeing the fatigue in his eyes, Yuuri turned to Lady Celi. “Are we done yet? We promised to go on a picnic with Greta,” he asked, as his adopted daughter gave the former maou her best pleading look.
 
“Oh, go on,” Lady Celi gave her permission. “I don't think my darling Wolfram is able to keep on his feet any longer.” She did even get to finish her sentence when Yuuri grabbed both Greta and Wolfram's arms and pulled them out of the room before the women decided to change their mind.
 
xxxXxxx
 
“Daddy Yuuri!” Greta called out, laughing as Yuuri tried unsuccessfully to catch her in his arms. She ducked and spun away to his left, leaving Yuuri stumbling onto a bed of wild flowers, just awakening from the early winter's thaw. Greta laughed, saying something that sounded like “Daddy's too slow,” in between her carefree giggles before running off again.
 
Yuuri sat up, watching his daughter running after some rabbits, also preparing early for spring. Her laughter was music to his ears and Yuuri thought nothing sounded sweeter than the sound of his daughter's laughter.
 
Then, he spared a glance at the figure which slumped under a tree and his smile faded a little. Barely half an hour after starting their little picnic, Wolfram had excused himself for a quick nap and that had been two hours ago. Now, the sun was already dropping low and the temperature was starting to drop telling them it was time to head back.
 
Yuuri wondered what Wolfram had been doing to be so easily tired out. He had seen how Wolfram unsuccessfully trying to hide the occasional yawn behind his hand throughout the day. He was also aware how Wolfram seemed to nod off a couple of times during the meeting that morning. Luckily, Conrad had been there to send a kick or two in his way so that Gwendal would not caught him.
 
Though Wolfram was one of the heaviest sleeper Yuuri had ever met, he also knew the blonde was one of the most alert, especially when he was awake. He would be among the first one, save Conrad and Gwendal, to detect if there was something amiss. And Wolfram had never ever fall asleep during their meetings. It was one of his only opportunity to show Gwendal his good quality. Besides, if there's anyone there who would usually nod off during a meeting, it would've been Yuuri himself.
 
A crash interrupted him from his reverie. Turning towards its direction, Yuuri saw an old woman and a child climbing down a tilted cart full of fruits. A basket lay tipped over, its contents rolling down the muddy road. Seeing that they were in trouble, Yuuri jogged over.
 
“Is there anything the matter?” he asked, as the old woman and boy examined their cart. They turned to him, recognizing him immediately.
 
“Oh, heika. My grandson and I were just on our way to the castle to deliver some food supply as requested. But our cart hit a big rock and now the wheel is pulled off its bolt,” the old women answered.
 
“Then, let's get it fix,” a voice from behind him drew their attention. Yuuri turned to see Wolfram shaking off his blue coat and handed it to Greta. He then walked over to the cart to examine the damage.
 
Yuuri pulled his arm to speak to him. “Are you sure you know what you're doing?” he whispered to his friend's ear. The blonde nodded. “Yeah, I've been fixing Gisela's cart since forever,” he answered, checking the damage. “And this is not so serious. All we need to do is unload the cart and you and I will need to lift the cart long enough for either Greta or the boy to slid the wheel back in,” he instructed, turning to the children. “Can I trust you to help?” The two nodded.
 
It was not as easy as Wolfram described. First they have to unload the fruits and then he and the blonde had to strain themselves lifting the rather heavy cart. Thank god for Mazoku's gifted strength. After Greta and the boy pushed the wheel back in, Wolfram and Yuuri had to knock a peg into a hole in the wood to keep the wheel in place. By the time they were finished, the sun was already down and they were all dirty and cold. So, they decided to ride on the cart together back to the castle.
 
Wolfram watched as Yuuri expertly guided the horse along the road. It amazed him how it had taken Yuuri just a year to fully master the art of riding so well. It made something inside him warm all of a sudden. Instinctively, his hand reached for the item inside his breast pocket, where it had being kept these past two days. Yuuri's name was just at the tip of his tongue when he shook his head, telling himself, `this is not the right time' for the twelfths time that day. He spared a glance at the three occupants sitting behind them, stifling another yawn. He did not know why but he been having trouble in keeping himself awake all day long. Was his maryoku that drained?
 
“Tired?” he heard Yuuri asked, watching him carefully.
 
Wolfram knew that he could no longer hide it. He even found his eyes drooping by the gentle lull of the cart moving. So he nodded. “It's been a long day,” he responded, resting his head against Yuuri's shoulder. He expected him to pull away and was a little surprise if not glad when Yuuri didn't. So, he allowed his thoughts to wander while keeping his hand close to his heart.
 
“Wolfram,” he jerked when he felt someone shook his shoulder. Blinking bewilderedly, he found that they were already inside the castle grounds. A little disoriented over his momentary lapse, Wolfram watched as Yuuri began to unload the cart with help from the three maids and Conrad, who had mysteriously appeared.
 
“Here, allow me,” he said, taking a basket from the old lady and followed Yuuri towards the kitchen door. They placed the baskets at a corner before returning to the cart and repeat the process a couple of times.
 
“You know it never fail to amaze me to learn how an apple in Shin Makoku could grow during the winter while everything is supposed to be dead during the season on Earth,” Yuuri said, eyeing an apple. `And not to mention its color too,' he added to himself, never seeing a blue apple before until his arrival in that world.
 
Wolfram watched him patiently. “Only in the southern region, Yuuri, where its warmer.” He leaned heavily against the wall.
 
Yuuri sighed. “I guess I should have Doria arranged for a temporary stay for the old woman and her grandson. It's much too late for them to be making their journey back.”
 
“Don't worry about that,” he said, wearily. “They always stayed the night here every time they made a delivery. It usually took them the whole day to reach the castle so they knew we'll always have a room prepared for them.”
 
“Great!” Yuuri threw the apple at Wolfram, who almost missed it due to his sudden sluggish reflex. “You look beat. You better get to the baths and then dress up for dinner. I'm thinking an early retirement tonight is good for you,” he said, taking a bite from the apple he just picked.
 
Wolfram regarded him as seriously as he could with his worn-out eyes. “You still haven't replied to my invitation,” he reminded Yuuri of their conversation earlier that day.
 
Yuuri gulped. There was definitely no way around the matter. When he had remembered that that day was White Day, he had prayed that Wolfram would not have planned anything for them. But when his friend asked him the question before entering the meeting room, his heart wanted to stop. And when they were interrupted and started to get busy the whole day he had thought that the blonde have forgotten about it and Yuuri was glad because he would not have to hurt his friend by refusing. He had prayed the entire day that Wolfram would not repeat his dinner invitation but now that it was mentioned, Yuuri knew that the day would not end as happily as he thought.
 
Taking a deep breath, he stared at the shorter male. “Look, Wolfram. You could barely even stand on your feet at this moment, let alone survive through dinner.” He cut him off when Wolfram began to protest. “I know you're going to say that you'd be willing to keep yourself awake for my sake but I don't want you to strain yourself any further.” He then turned around to join the old woman and her grandson to make sure that they received the best hospitality.
 
“This isn't about me being tired, isn't?” Wolfram's voice stopped him. “Tell me the truth, Yuuri. If I had been fine now, would you have said yes?” he asked, his eyes burning Yuuri's back.
 
Yuuri sighed, sparing a glance at Wolfram before turning away. “I'm sorry, Wolfram. I just don't see you that way.” He walked out.
 
Wolfram dropped the hand which had been clutching at his heart. He ignored the item which, at the moment, weighed heavily in his breast pocket. Succumbing at last to his exhaustion, he slumped against the wall, rattling the plates the maids had taken out and laid on the counter on his right. Staring at the apple in his hand, he took an angry bite.
 
xxxXxxx
 
Yuuri was all smiles when he joined Conrad, his guests and daughter outside. “Wolfram informed me that you'll be spending the night here as always,” he said, ruffling his daughter's hair affectionately.
 
“Yes, Heika,” the old woman answered.
 
“Lasagna already has a room prepared,” Doria answered as she and Sangria unload the last of the cargo. Their friend was already on her way back to the kitchen to oversee dinner.
 
“Thank you for your help, Heika,” the old woman said, gratefully. “And please thank Lord von Bielefeld for us.”
 
Before Yuuri could respond, there was a crashing sound coming from the kitchen. Turning, they saw Lasagna dropped her load and ran towards the kitchen. They heard her scream, “Lord von Bielefeld!”
 
Exchanging looks of apprehension with each other, Yuuri and Conrad ran back towards the kitchen. What they saw nearly stopped their heart.
 
On the floor, pieces of broken plate lay scattered all over.
 
On the floor, lay the prone figure of Lord Wolfram von Bielefeld.
 
Looking more dead than alive.
 
 
TO BE CONTINUED…
 
 
A/N: Eep! Did I just leave you guys with a cliffhanger. Ooh… how I hate when people do things like that. Ha… ha…
 
Anyway, wow, 14 reviews for just one chapter. This is too much! And for that, you guys deserved an update. Actually I wanted to update my other fic called `Wings of Destiny' but seeing how much you guys responded to this fic, I feel the need to update quickly. But seriously speaking, I need to get back to `Wings of Destiny' so fans of that fic would not hunt me down and have me hanged! But I guess plenty of reviews might just give me the extra motivation to speed things up *hint, hint*
 
I would like to take the opportunity to thank eclst, Yuuram88, Howl3, CrystalICE1, SilentKiller1, The Weebles, kage77, eirina, Lethe Albion, Midosaki and Lorean for their reviews.
 
For those who sent me anonymous reviews,
 
Pikeebo: Oh, yes! Wolfram will be avenged… mua…ha…ha…ha… *evil laugh* Handsome evil man? We'll see.
 
Priestessmykala: Thank you for reviewing. Hope this story will meet your expectations.
 
Miya: And I hope you'll continue reading too. Thanks for the review.