Labyrinth Fan Fiction ❯ Thirteen Hours ❯ (untitled) ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Seven:



The group stood still for a few moments; each member was trying to assess the situation.

The stone walkway ended quite abruptly. Water lapped at the edge. The water was a dark blue, even with the sun reflecting off the liquid surface. It stretched to the left and right much like a large lake with a shore on each side. Fortunately, it wasn’t too far across, thirty feet at most. Even though, rather than going around the lake and finding the correct path through the puzzling maze--which was surrounded by hedges or stone ends--they wanted to find any other means to get to the other side.

Danyelle couldn’t see the bottom nor any bridges or anything that was useful to help them. She certainly didn’t feel like swimming across. “So what now?” she asked aloud.

“It’s obvious we can’t go around, even inching our way would be hard. And we can’t go back lest it takes us longer and I don’t think that we have that kind of time.” Stephanie frowned at her frozen watch once more.

“Nor any other way than to swim across.” Davrin put in. He stood next to Danyelle, who smiled. “Unless I fly and carry both of you over,”

“Unfortunately, if you’re traveling through my Labyrinth on a quest, that is, since you’ve accepted on their journey, flight is out of the question.” the Goblin King said behind them, startling the group. He was leaning on a stone wall, his arms folded. “Unless you do decide to take an alternative--”

“So we swim across?” Danyelle frowned at the seemingly growing lake.

“No.” Jareth said, surprising the group. “You walk.”

“Taking the longer road then,” Danyelle nodded and was ready to turn around.

“No.” Jareth repeated.

“Walk on water?” Stephanie raised her eyebrows.

“Yes.” an amused smile.

“Right.” Stephanie said skeptically. “Jareth, we really don’t have time for your games. You of all people should know that.” she rubbed her forehead. “But let’s say that is possible--”

“Of course it is,” Jareth interrupted, almost mischievously.
“Yes, right.” Stephanie continued, disregarding one of her pet peeves. “Even if it is, how do you propose we walk on water?”

“Watch.” Jareth grinned, too deep in his own mind game.

Stephanie sighed exasperated; first the bird, now the Goblin King. She almost rolled her eyes and was ready to call it quits right there and then.

Jareth moved to the edge of the stone shore, around the center of the isolated body of water. He took a step forward. Amazingly enough, he stood atop the water. From what all of them could see, his boots was slightly beneath the surface, not quite walking on water. They could see no visible walkway. Perhaps it was done with some pane of glass. Stephanie was next, followed by Danyelle and finally by Davrin. The “glass” held their weight and there were no sound of straining or cracking.

‘Things aren’t what they seem,’ Stephanie reminded herself about the strength, gravity and appearance in the Labyrinth realm. She knew she expected too much again, she was trying to catch herself about it more.

“Do not wander too close to the edges.” Jareth informed of the drop off, stepping to the sides a way and indicating with a boot by splashing the water lightly. There was enough room for two people to walk side by side, but they remained going in a single file. Stephanie frowned at her slowly soaking socks. With every step she took, water splashed onto her sandals, also it didn’t help that Jareth’s long strides made the water rush around their feet; Danyelle had better luck with her running shoes. She could already feel her pajama pants slowly soaking up the warm water.

“So why are you helping us?” asked Danyelle.

“Well, I have been watching your progress and I thought that you might have encountered some difficulties.” Jareth replied, looking over his shoulder.

“Isn’t that against the rules?” Stephanie said.

“Yes. But I am able to bend the rules for certain exceptions.” he cleared his throat.

“Ah.” Stephanie replied. “But that doesn’t explain why you’re ‘actually’ helping us instead of just telling us how.”

The Goblin King seemed to stop at this remark with an intrigued sound in his throat. He opened his mouth to say something but then closed it again. He took a few steps forward and then pointed to Stephanie. “Spending too many misadventures has gotten me used to ‘joining’ in the expedition.” With that, he turned around and continued down the path. “I’m only helping you until the halfway point--just to inform you--to get you used to the unseen path.”

“Right.” Stephanie nudged Danyelle. Her cousin giggled softly.

“At any rate,” the Goblin King continued. “you should be grateful that I’m helping you out at all.”

“Please,” Stephanie scoffed. “You’re worried that we won’t make it in time.”

Jareth muttered something under his breath and when the girl asked what he had said, he replied, “Nothing.”

“In any case, we appreciate it.” Davrin mentioned and encouraged the girls to join. Jareth nodded.
“Thanks.” said Danyelle.

“Yes.” Stephanie said. “And I’m sorry.” She was right but it was unnecessary to make a thing out of it.

They continued in silence. The only sound came from the lazy stirring of the water around their feet. Luckily, the water was warm and the sun helped, but wet socks were still wet socks. Stephanie was tempted to remove socks and sandals to continue barefooted; but what good will that do to her pajama pants? She wasn’t going to complain--at least not aloud. She scrunched up her nose comically.

As they walked, Davrin flexed his wings to see if the injured wing was just as good as the other. It felt like he had bruised it but other than that, he seemed satisfied. He smiled when he felt Danyelle’s gaze upon him. “Your feet are not getting too wet are they?” he asked.

“No, I’m good.”

“Well, I’m certain you get the idea. The only way is forward.” Jareth said, stopping a few feet ahead of the girls and the Sherpa. “I should return to my other duties.” He nodded to them and started walking again, in a moment he would vanish, as he often did. However, that didn’t happen.

“Uh, Jareth, you’re still--” Stephanie started.

“Yes I know!” the Goblin King snapped, he kept his pace and didn’t turn around. His shoulders had slumped in annoyance, and perhaps embarrassment.

“As long as you know,” Danyelle said. Both cousins held in laughter of the mishap that the poor Goblin King was now facing. Even Davrin had difficulty keeping a smile from appearing. The group had to start running to catch up to Jareth, for he had been making progress across the invisible path in his silent fury. Now that the Goblin King was stranded with them, they had more chance of making it in time and not worry about the consequences.

“This is ridiculous!” Jareth was muttering to himself. “There shouldn’t be a way for me to be trapped here with them. It’s my bloody kingdom!” he spun around so quickly that he made Stephanie back away, his finger inches from her face. “This is all your doing!” he pointed to Stephanie. “And you--” he turned to Danyelle. He made a sound in his throat, a mix between a growl and a frustrated sigh. He was half-angry with himself trying to find someone to blame over something he had no control over after all.

“If you’re so annoyed with us, why don’t you fly home?” Stephanie suggested when he had started to pace.

“Believe me I would have. I cannot.” he countered. “I do not have my ability to teleport nor to transform into my other form. However, I still have my powers.”

“Well then, you’ll just have to put up with us now, don’t you?”

“Hmph”
“Anyway,” started Danyelle. “We can stand here all day and bitch, or we can get to the castle; your choice.”

“Very well.” Jareth replied and uncrossed his arms. After all, the girl was right. The sun continued to shine brightly upon the extended group.

“Hey Jare?” Stephanie approached the Goblin King.

“Yes?”

“I don’t understand why you can’t get back to the castle and why you’re not able to use your powers to their extent, it’s not because of this wish is it? Because I thought you had taken precautions since the past two takeovers.”

“Apparently, I had thought the same. All for naught.” he waved his hand slightly. “I have more pressing matters than to have another trek through my Labyrinth.” he grumbled.

“So it’s a conspiracy against our poor Goblin King.” the nineteen-year old smirked.

“It would appear to be so,” he replied. “So much in fact that--” It looked like that the Goblin King had tripped, but in reality, there was nothing to put his next step as though the platform had simply vanished ahead. He lost his balance in the unexpected circumstances; he twisted so that he started to fall backwards before Stephanie felt a tug on her shirt at her waist.

“Eh?” was all Stephanie uttered before falling sideways over the invisible platform with the Goblin King.

Splash!

Danyelle and Davrin quickly rushed over, wary of the hidden drop off.

Two coughing figures broke through the surface. Water dripped from their hair, Jareth’s was already spiky to begin with and remained almost unperturbed. His face was expressionless but quite readable at this point; the day couldn’t get any worse, but indeed it can and he knew it. He wondered if he shouldn’t even bother getting out of the water.

Stephanie was next to him. She burped softly, having swallowed the water. “Was it really necessary to grab me in the process?” she asked; her white socks felt strange in her sandals as she kicked her feet. Her long dark hair clung to her neck and face.

“It was purely reflexes,” Jareth replied as he continued to wade above the water; the sound of tiny waves rushed with every movement they made.

“Oh! Like that’s a good reason.” she snorted. “Didn’t you say once that you were more agile than that?” she pushed her bangs slightly from her eyes, and turned to him now that she was no longer blind.

“I do not recall saying anything in that particular sense.” he shot back.

“Steph, are you okay?” her cousin asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Stephanie turned around to look up. She made her way, hands out to make sure she wouldn’t bump into the platform. Danyelle offered her hand to help her up, Davrin grabbed her other hand. Her clothes dripped upon the watery floor. She wringed out her hair as Davrin and Danyelle helped the Goblin King onto the platform as well.

“I believe our pathway is gone.” Davrin informed, he had knelt to search around in the water. Jareth agreed.

“So what now?” Stephanie crossed her arms, she was shivering slightly. “We just go back and pick another way?”

“We cannot go back,” Jareth said. Droplets of water continued to run down his face and into his high-collared coat.

“You’re not serious!” Danyelle exclaimed.

“As you can see, I am quite serious.” he gestured with a hand to the surroundings. Davrin confirmed the King’s statement. They were stranded on a platform no larger than a small dock.

“Well that’s just f--”

“Dani!” Stephanie interrupted. Danyelle snorted for not having completing her profanity. “Well, some suggestions would be nice,” said Stephanie, turning to the group. “Other than swimming across, I see no other way.”

The group was silent, thinking for any kind of solution. Jareth had started to pace to draw out his thoughts, but complaints about the water rushing around ankles made him stop.

“Isn’t there always a way out of these things?” Stephanie stated. “Solving a riddle, or some way to create an exit or to find one?” With the past two adventures she had, in order to get out a tight spot or to continue was to solve a puzzle or by riddles or by any other means.

“Yes.” The Goblin King agreed. “However I cannot keep track of all the puzzles and their solutions within my Labyrinth. It is difficult to remember hundred of years worth of puzzles, perhaps even overlapping each other.” He shook his head. “As I’ve mentioned before, the Labyrinth is perpetually changing.” He paused and studied the platform. “Give me a moment to refreshen my memory.” He placed a hand under his chin in thought, the other arm held up his elbow.

“I think that’s why we had trouble with the last brainteaser we were boxed in; the overlapping of puzzles.” Stephanie mused. Danyelle nodded.

At one point, Jareth tilted his head to one side. He searched the sides of the platform and inspected almost every inch of it until he seemed satisfied before directing the group to each of the corners. “There are dials, one of each side of the corners.” He said. “I will instruct you individually in which direction they need to be facing in order for us to raise the walkway.” He paused. “Not to insult you, still, I’d rather take precautions and for us to take our time.” He said to the girls’ raised eyebrows.

Danyelle had already stuck her hand into the water, feeling to one side for the dials. She peered over the edge, she squinted through the surface but wasn’t able to see them. Her fingers brushed against something. It was smooth and cool beneath her touch. It felt a little like glass, it would explain why it was almost invisible, blending seamlessly with the water surface. She continued to feel the dial; it was shaped in an odd symbol, much like a six or a nine--whichever way it was pointing. Upon further inspection, she discovered that there were intricate bumps along the odd dial, they followed its shape; there was also a second dial within the circle of the six shape. Before Danyelle could ask what they were for, Jareth knelt to her, having finished with his corner that was across from her.

“Now, what I need you to do is to tell me what direction the dial is pointing,” he indicated the one she was inspecting. Danyelle informed him that it was facing downwards. “All right,” Jareth said. He instructed Danyelle to turn the dial to face the desired shore. Then on the other side of the platform, the dial would be turned to point to the next corner. He moved next to Davrin and instructed him to do the same as Danyelle before heading towards Stephanie. It wasn’t long before they were both arguing; mostly about Jareth kept ordering Stephanie even after she said that she understood what was needed to be done.

“For crying out loud!” Stephanie snapped. “I’m doing exactly as you’ve said, so back off Jare!”

Danyelle giggled at Stephanie’s attempt to shoo away the Goblin King. He finally resigned and left the girl finish.

Everyone waited for something to happen. No indication that something has occured. Before anyone could ask Jareth for explanation, he told everyone about the second dial situated inside the six symbol dial. “This one is to secure the walkway onto the platform.” He returned to his corner, reached into the water and fumbled with a lever--to which he then pulled.

The platform started to shake. Danyelle lost her balance but Davrin caught her before she would soak herself. A few birds from the shore flew off and disappeared in the distance. The rumbling continued along with the sound of gears whirring and then finally came to an abrupt stop with a loud clang.

They waited until the water had calmed around them before venturing a step onto the “new” walkway. Seeing Jareth’s dauntless pace made Danyelle stop worrying that the walkway would crumble or disappear from beneath their feet.

It would not take them long to reach the shore with the hedge section, (14) feet at most. Again, they walked in a single file but this was due to the walkway was narrower than the original. Stephanie wondered if there were only one walkway or several, and if they would have turned the dials differently, would they have followed a different path, one that coiled and if it would lead to another part of the vast maze. She considered asking the Goblin King, but concentrated on staying in the center of path; he didn’t need to be bothered by inane questions and ponderings--at least not for a while yet.

The water sloshed around their feet with their hurried pace; they wanted to be off the water and onto solid and dry land. Sand clung to the soles of their footwear and collected into small clumps under and between the treads, and onto the girls’ pants as they stepped onto the shore. There was a small path that led into the hedge section. There were more trees scattered about and the houses became more scarce.

It was not long before the trio followed the Goblin King, choosing pathways that the hedge maze offered. The green foliage walls were just as tall as the stone structures. Again, Jareth would lead them down the right path, but a few times he had actually stopped in his tracks as though confused or his surroundings. Had he really lost his senses or was it because the two realms continued to merge?

===============================

Note:

Well, I wanted to post this up once Dani reads it and adds things to it but I'm getting impatient. -le sigh- I hope she gets to read to read it soon and add her parts, cause chapter 8 is just getting longer and longer. She's moving soon, so can't say exactly when she'll even glance at the fanfiction. I'll try to remind her, maybe if she prints out the chapters we've worked on, she'll get some ideas. Sorry for the ramble, just letting you know that it will be a long while before chapter 7 is corrected and chapter 8 posted up.

Thank you for your patience.