Lupin III Fan Fiction ❯ The Zenigata Inheritence ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Inheritance: A tale of Zenigata

“Inspector Zenigata, Inspector!” the brown haired young man panted as he ran to catch up with her, his blue and black police gear slightly wrinkled.

Katrine Zenigata smiled at him little apologetically, the taller woman’s trenchcoat flapping around her as she slowed a bit. “Sorry Officer Watson,” she said as she pushed her short brown hair back, “I was a bit preoccupied.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Officer John Watson said, falling into step beside her as they went into the Paris, France offices of Interpol. “Why do you think they called us in?” he asked, reflexedly grabbing the old fashioned door.

“I don’t know,” Zenigata admitted, “that lecher Lupin IV has been quiet, his gang has seemingly disbanded....”

“Really?” Watson sounded surprised.

“Most of his gang are women and this Lupin is a even greater letch than his dad. They got tired of it and left,” Zenigata revealed, “according to my sources.”

“Somehow I’m not surprised,” Watson admitted as they both showed their badges to the officers at reception.

“Anyway, the mobs are up to their usual crap, nothing we can’t handle, but there are rumors of exceptional thieves out there,” Zenigata mused.

“Like Mouse,” Watson admitted glumly.

They passed through another security gate, both checking their weapons in to the officer there then continuing on as Zenigata said thoughtfully, “Her, the Joan of Arc thief, Saint Tail, that crazy old pervert Happosai....”

Watson blinked, “Isn’t he dead yet?”

“I figure he’s just too damn evil to die,” Zenigata joked, getting a quiet laugh from her companion. “Add to those the gentleman thief called Twenty Masks and we have plenty to keep us busy,” she concluded

“Yes, ma’am,” he agreed. Watson scratched at his chin nervously, “Ah, did you get that message I left on your desk from your mother Toshiko?”

“Yes, I got it,” Zenigata sighed, suddenly looking less like a police officer and more just a put upon young woman. “And I’ll call her then she’ll lecture me about being a cop like my no good grandfather then encourage me to settle down with some nice young man....” she trailed off in frustration.

They reached the end of a hall as Watson asked, “She doesn’t know you’re gay?”

“It hasn’t come up,” Zenigata said as she rapped on the door with her knuckles, “she isn’t that good a detective.”

“Come in,” the voice called.

When Zenigata had first met Commander Sam Vimes of London she had frankly wondered where they dug him up from. Self described as a collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, he was a thin, brown haired man of unremarkable looks or character. However, he was possessed of a surprisingly astute mind, once they dried him out.

“What took you?” Vimes asked, a unlit stub of a cigar in his mouth as the lanky brown haired man scowled at them.

Officer Watson paled at his tone, but Zenigata wasn’t bothered, she knew he was always like that. “We took the scenic route,” Zenigata replied.

“Sit down, I hate it when people loom,” Vimes waved them towards the chairs in front of his messy desk. The older man looked through the files a moment as he said, “Thanks for bringing in Faye Valentine, by the way.”

“The local cops sure didn’t manage to hold her for very long,” Zenigata said with some amusement, her lips quirking up in a smile.

“The lady does have the vava-voom factor going for her,” Vimes agreed cheerfully.

“So what did she do to get out?” Watson asked with amusement.

“First she showed her breasts to a officer,” Vimes found the folder that he was looking for as he said, “that distracted him long enough to get his gun away from him and she left him tied up in the squad car.”

“Oh,” Watson blushed.

Zenigata hid a smile. “What’s up, sir?”

“Holmes down in forensics filed a complaint on you about interfering with his work,” Vimes noted, “care to explain?”

“Old Sherlock himself?” Zenigata smiled. “Holmes was with us when we were investigating the Bomber incident in Cairo,” she explained calmly, “he got annoyed when I yanked him off a crime scene so that the bomb squad could defuse the device.”
Vimes actually looked surprised, “Seriously?”

“By Holmes’ calculations the bomb would have gone off in ten minutes,” Zenigata sighed, “plenty of time for evidence collection.”

“I see,” Sam took the complaint and tossed it to the floor.

As far as Zenigata could tell everything ON his desk was his ‘in’ box, while everything on the floor by his desk was the ‘out’ box. Chaotic, but it seemed to work. Their Commander’s aversion to computers was a well known piece of his reputation, determined to rely on what he called old fashioned police work.

“Would you mind if we borrowed Watson to keep an eye on Mr. Holmes?” Vimes said. He scowled, “Holmes tends to alienate any other officer we assign to him.”

“It’s up to John,” Zenigata passed that on.

“As long as it isn’t permanent,” Watson said with a sigh.

“Hmm?” Vimes raised a eyebrow.

“Holmes tries to play the violin when he thinks,” Watson explained, “if you used that sound in interrogations they’d crack in minutes.”

“Ouch,” Zenigata made a face.

“I’m keeping you on unusual crimes in Japan,” Vimes said briskly, “you’ve had a hell of a conviction rate there.”

“Sadly none of them have been my main quarry,” Zenigata sighed.

“Maybe, but....” Vimes shrugged eloquently. Vimes took his lighter out, nearly lit the cigar then stopped with a scowl. “Sybil wants me to quit,” he explained as he tucked the brass lighter away again.

“I can get close, but...” Zenigata gave him a wry look.

“Well, I have no intention of taking you off unless you ask me to,” Vimes said firmly. He sorted his desk, “Oh, this came in for you.”

Zenigata took the envelope with a blink, “Thank you, sir.” She opened the envelope then froze before cursing loudly.

“Ma’am?” Watson asked worriedly.

“It’s one of that damn Lupin’s calling cards,” Zenigata tossed it to the desk, “he dares send one here?!” She jumped to her feet, “Watson, let’s go!”

“But we’re in a meeting,” Watson started to say.

“Never mind that,” Zenigata snatched Watson from his seat, “THIS time that damn Lupin is not getting away!” With that they bolted out of the room at high speed.

“Just like her grandfather,” Vimes murmured, smiling.

End

Notes: Katrine Zenigata is the granddaughter of Koichi Zenigata by his rarely mentioned daughter, Toshiko. The version of Interpol she works at is staffed by figures from various novels including: John Watson and Holmes of Sherlock Holmes and Sam Vimes of the Discworld. Anime series mentioned Include Mouse, Saint Tail, Man of Twenty faces and Ranma ½.