Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Call of the Heart ❯ The Journey Begins Again ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
STUDIO X PRESENTS

MAGIC KNIGHT RAYEARTH:
CALL OF THE HEART

A Story by Miyu, Vampire Princess



Episode Two - A New Journey Begins




'Oh, dear kami. Am I dead?'

When Emera Hououji opened her eyes, all she could see was white. And it was moving upwards at a very quick rate. Before long all she could see was white above her, blue around her.

And mountains below her.

Emera screamed, closing her eyes and hugging her arms around herself. But closing her eyes only made the feeling of falling worse. She was certain she was going to die once she hit those mountains. That was if her heart didn't give out first.

Then the feeling of falling stopped, and she hit something unusually soft. Slowly Emera felt around with her hands. The ground, or whatever it was she hit, was semi-soft. And scaly. She opened her eyes one at a time, placing both hands down to steady her.

The white was still above her, clouds she didn't recognize. She was still surrounded by blue, but there was also a translucent fluttering about her. And the mountains, she noticed, turning her head, were still below her.

She felt around with her hands, slowly rolling onto her stomach. The ground beneath her wasn't ground at all. White and scaly like a snake, with translucent prongs sticking up everywhere. But even though it looked scaly it felt soft and warm, and colorful. Looking ahead she could see an eye. It blinked, looking back at her.

She was still flying all right.

And on a fish no less.

"Tell me, I'm dreaming," she muttered closing her eyes again.

"Wheemee."

Taking a deep breath, Emera slowly moved into a sitting position. She was unsure it was safe, but she was getting sick lying on her stomach. Once she was sitting, she took another deep breath. Patting the fish gently she tried to smile in greeting.

"Umm...hello," Emera said to the giant fish.

"Wheemee," the fish responded.

Emera frowned, not understanding the flying fish. "I guess you're from around here, aren't you?"

The fish nodded its head, moving its entire body with it.

"Whoa!" Emera began to fall again, clasping onto one of the wings to steady herself. The fish squirmed some more, seemingly in complaint at Emera's grip on its wing.

"PHEWEEP," the fish whined.

Emera immediately let go, steadying herself on the fishes back again with her hands. "Oh, I'm so terribly sorry. That hurt, didn't it?"

"Wheemeeme," the fish said.

Sighing, Emera took another look at the ground below her. The landscape was very unfamiliar, yet she'd felt as if she'd seen it in a dream once. They were moving away from the mountains, flying over some large cliffs and towards what appeared to be a large forest. It was nothing but a sea of green, yellow and red from her perspective. She had never seen trees bloom as such. Just ahead of them were green plains and fields, flowered with many different colors. She smiled from the sheer beauty of it.

Well, she wasn't in Japan anymore that was certain. She sighed again. But then, where was she?

She sat back on the fish. She was certain she had never been there, but couldn't shake the feeling of déjà vu. 'What is this place?' she wondered. A story her mother had once told her came to mind, but she shook it out of her thoughts.

'Don't think of your mother now, Emera, concentrate.'

"Wheemee," the fish said, trying to get Emera's attention.

"I wish I could understand you better," the girl said. She thought a moment before asking, "Are you taking me somewhere?"

The fish nodded again, although not as enthusiastically.

'Okay, that's a start,' Emera told herself. "Is it a long trip?"

"Wheemeeme."

"I'll take that as a 'yes'," Emera said, biting her bottom lip. She was thirsty. She placed a hand over her stomach. And hungry too. She had missed lunch with her friends back at the tower. Her eyes widened in thought.

Her friends?! Did they know she was missing? Would they look for her? Could they even find her?

And just where was Mokona?!

Sighing she pushed thought to the back of her mind, focusing on the situation at hand. She needed to figure out where she was, and then she could find a way home. She patted her now growling stomach. But first thing was first.

"I need a drink," she told the fish. "Is there somewhere I can get some water?"

"Wheemee," the fish said happily.

"Whoa," Emera said as they started to move downward.

The fish floated just above the treetops until they reached a clearing. It lowered itself into the clearing, hovering just above the ground. It's wings continued to flap as it motioned for Emera to get down.

The girl slipped down, careful to avoid the wings. She slid down easily, landing softly on her feet. There was a pond not too far from where they had landed. Emera smiled, patting the fish lightly on its side.

"Thank you," she said. "I'll be right back."

"Wheemee," the fish said, still smiling.

Emera waved to the fish as she approached the pond. She knelt on the bank, staring into the water. It was clear enough she could see to the bottom, but opaque enough she could see her reflection.

'Kami, I'm a mess,' she told herself, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

Tentatively she reached into the water, her fingertips caressing the top of the pond. The water was cool, ripples spreading from everywhere her fingertips touched. She cupped her hands together under the water and brought the makeshift cup to her mouth. The water was just as cold in her mouth, making her teeth chatter.

'That's much better,' she told herself. She looked back to the fish, then again at her surroundings. 'I wonder if there's something I can hold water in.'

As she moved away from the pond and closer to the woods, she heard the fish crying out. Quickly she turned. The fish was fluttering quickly, whining at something. But it looked unharmed.

'What could possibly be the trouble?'

"GRRRRRRRR."

Emera stood frozen as a loud growl came from the woods behind her. The fish was fluttering even more, lifting itself further off the ground. Slowly Emera turned around. Her first glimpse out of the corner of her eye showed her nothing but brown fur. And a lot of it! Finally she managed to turn halfway around, her eyes roaming from the ground upward.

She'd never seen another creature like it. It closely resembled a bear, but it was twice the size at least. The snarl was hideous, red eyes staring back at her. It was obviously hungry, drool dripping from its mouth. It stood on hind legs, long, knife-like claws raised as it growled again.

"GRRRAWWWWW!"

Not knowing what else to do, Emera screamed.

Turning to run she waved to the fish. "Go," she said. She waved her arms frantically, willing the creature to leave. The fish whined in complaint but did as the girl asked. It could come back for her, Emera reasoned, as long as it didn't get hurt.

She broke into a sprint, running across the clearing and into the far end of the woods. She wasn't sure how far she had run. A mile, maybe two. But she had to stop to catch her breath. She could still hear the creature behind her. Trying to catch a second wind, Emera leapt from behind a tree.

But the creature beat her to it. It stared down at her with leering red eyes, drool still dripping from its mouth. It stalked closer, moving slowly.

"Uh...nice bear," she said, her voice a high-pitched squeal. She started backing away slowly, only to run into a tree. The creature raised its claws again, ready to strike. With a scream lodged in her throat, Emera closed her eyes, waiting for the creature to attack.

"HHAAAAA!"

At the sound of another human cry, Emera opened her eyes. At least, she assumed it was human. When she looked the creature lay on the ground, face down. It had been cut from the back, right down the middle. Thinking it dead, she approached it.

"No, wait!"

Emera stopped at the warning. The creature stirred. It wasn't dead. Eyes wide she moved back against the tree.

"Don't move."

For the first time, Emera noticed someone standing on the other side of the creature. Its attacker, she thought. He -- yes it was a he -- stood, sword at the ready, already dripping with blood. Emera blinked. He couldn't have been any older than she. His clothes were unlike any she had seen before, all black with a white trim. He wore a cape as well. It blew behind him in a stream of red. His eyes were keenly trained on the creature as it started to get up.

Emera put a hand over her mouth to keep from screaming and drawing attention to herself.

The boy held his ground as the creature stalked towards him. It raised its claws swiping the air in front of it. But the young man appeared undaunted by the creature's show of strength. He charged the creature, sword at the ready. The creature swiped at him again with its large claws. The boy was scratched on the shoulder, but not before piercing the creature with his sword.

The creature howled in pain, eyes rolling to the back of its head until nothing but white showed. It dropped to its knees as the boy pulled his sword out of its chest. There was a loud crash as the creature finally fell to the ground in defeat.

Looking at the creature, the boy stepped up to it, poking his foot at its head. Satisfied he had defeated the monster, he pulled a cloth from his belt and began cleaning his sword. As he started to walk away, he remembered the girl. She was still standing against the tree, eyes closed.

"You can open your eyes now," he told her. He replaced the cloth back in his belt and lowered his sword. "It's dead."

Emera opened her eyes and took a deep breath at the same time. She hadn't realized she was holding it. Eyes wide, one hand to her aching chest, she stepped towards the beast. After two steps, she saw the blood and stopped. It was definitely dead this time.

"Thank you," Emera managed to say, her eyes still glued on the dead creature. "What...what was that thing?"

"A Gawloch," the boy replied. "They're not very common to these woods. But things have been...changing...lately." He grabbed a small cloth from his belt, using it to clean his sword. When he was finished he examined it, checking the blade for inconsistencies. "What is your name, milady?"

'Milady?' Emera stifled a giggle. She'd never been called that before. "My name's Emera. And you are?"

"Zan," he replied with a small bow. "I'm a knight of this land."

"You dress...oddly for a knight," Emera commented. She was used to knights wearing metal armor and other strange garments. But then, what he wore did seem strange to her.

"I am not dressed for battle," Zan stated. He turned, starting off in the direction of the clearing. He raised his sword, using it to hack away limbs and vines in his way. "I was merely hunting when I heard your scream."

"Oh," Emera replied, following him through the woods. "So, how do we get out of here, Zan? The woods, I mean."

"You are not familiar with this place?" Zan asked, eyeing her oddly.

"No," Emera said. "I had stopped in the clearing for some water when...." Her breath caught as she crawled over a large tree stump. "When the creature attacked me."

"Were you traveling with a party?" Zan asked.

"No," Emera replied, trying to keep up. He was moving faster than she could. "I'm alone."

"You shouldn't go to places you are not familiar with," he told her matter-of-factly, walking on without turning around.

"Thanks, I'll remember that," Emera replied, stepping carefully over a group of rocks that looked very unsteady. She slid, falling into a mud puddle. "Yuck."

Zan stopped, turning around. "You should be more careful."

"Yes, well," Emera said standing. She brushed off as much dirt and muck as she could, then shook her hands as clean as possible. She started walking again, finally catching up to him. "Easier said than done."

"You are a strange girl," he said, eyeing her oddly. Emera fidgeted under his stare, but said nothing. Then he turned, walking again.

"I prefer young lady," she said to his back, frowning. "But you're not so normal yourself, you know."

"I am perfectly normal," Zan replied with a huff. "And I know of several young ladies with better grace and posture than you."

'Now he's insulting me,' Emera thought. 'Just great.'

"Look, Zan, can you just tell me how to get out of these awful woods so I can be on my way?"

"And where are you off to?"

Emera blinked. Where indeed. She wasn't even sure where she was.

"Just...somewhere," Emera stated.

"Trying to escape your family?" Zan asked.

Emera blinked. He made it sound like a common occurrence. "No," she replied. "No...ummm...I'm not."

"You're certainly not nobility," Zan commented. "So you must be running from something, or someone."

Emera sighed, steeping over some downed tree branches. She swore under her breath, ripping one of her socks. She noticed several other cuts and bruises as well. She looked up at Zan, wishing that the day would just be over, that she was dreaming everything and that she'd wake up soon.

But nothing changed.

"Are you going to help me or not?" Emera finally asked.

Zan smirked. Who did she think she was? And what did he look like, a mercenary? He smiled to himself. She was tired, clearly. And lost. He could've used it to his advantage, but the voice of his mother in the back of his mind stopped him. It was wrong. And he was a knight of the realm after all. Still, he couldn't resist annoying her further.

"And what would you do if I helped you?" Zan asked with a smirk Emera couldn't see.

But she heard it in his voice.

"What more do you want?" Emera asked angrily, tossing a branch out of her way as she walked. "I've thanked you for your help before." She sighed, stopping. "What is it you want? Money?"

Zan shook his head. "No," he said flatly, insulted. "Knights don't accept money for payment."

'That's good, because I don't have any,' Emera thought. Pleadingly she asked, "Can you at least tell me where I am so I can find my own way?"

Zan stopped, turning his head to look back at her. "You're not from around here are you?"

"Yeah, you could say that," Emera said with a small nod.

Zan fully turned around, replacing his sword back in its scythe. He regarded her again, noting her strange outfit. It looked vaguely familiar, but he knew it wasn't normal. "And your clothes, they look different from anything I've ever seen."

"My uniform?" She looked down at her soiled blouse and mud stained skirt. Her aunt was going to KILL her. Then she regarded the boy. His clothes were different from hers, although not by much. She sighed again her hands on her hips. Besides, she didn't like being stared at. "I have my own personal tailor," she lied with a frown.

Zan narrowed his eyes as the girl examined him quickly. He didn't like being stared at either. He turned around, pulling out his sword and continuing his trek forward.

"Your accent is atrocious," he said with a frown of his own.

"My accent?" Emera asked, confused. "What's wrong with the way I talk?"

"You're not from around here," Zan stated.

"I think we've established that already," Emera said, starting to walk again. "But where exactly is here?"

"Lien County, capital of Cephiro."

Emera stopped. Too quickly. The tip of her foot caught on a rock and she began to fall. She cried out, raising her hands in front of her to help stop the fall. But there was nothing to grab onto. Once again she fell into a puddle of muddy water.

Zan rolled his eyes. What was it with this girl, he asked himself again. She must have cobwebs for brains. Either that or she just wasn't very graceful. He sighed to himself, stepping forward and offering her a hand in aide.

Emera frowned, sighing. She couldn't possibly get any dirtier. She stared at Zan's hand for a moment before accepting it. She was hauled to her feet quickly.

"Cephiro? You mean the place of fantasy, the place of magic, home of the Magic Knights?" she asked hurriedly as he helped her to stand.

Zan eyed her wearily, grasping her wrist and pulling her up. For a stranger she knew far too much. Just who WAS she?!

"How do you know about the Magic Knights?" he asked, his grip tightening on her wrist.

"My mother used to tell me bedtime stories...ow!" she said as his grip locked on her wrist and he began dragging her forward. "Wait a sec!" she cried, trying not to trip over another rock. "Did I say something wrong?"

Zan stopped suddenly, turning to face her quickly. Emera didn't have time to stop before running into him. She jumped back, looking up at him oddly. His frown had gotten bigger and he didn't look happy.

"What is it?" she asked, concerned. "What's wrong?"

"I must take you to see the Master Mage immediately."

"Okay," Emera agreed. "I won't argue with that. But, can I ask you something else?"

"What?"

"The magic knights," she paused trying to find the right words. "I know they disappeared some time ago." She bit her bottom lip, afraid to ask her question. "Have they ever...reappeared?"

"That is none of your concern," Zan replied, turning again.

"Wait. Yes it is." Emera stumbled again, trying to catch up with Zan as he took off. He knew something and she had to find out what. "Please, I know it sounds strange, but can you please answer my question."

"If you really want to know," he told her as they entered a clearing. "You can ask the Master Mage yourself."

"But why...can't...you.... Whoa."

Ahead of them in the clearing were rolling green hills of grass and flowers. It was a beautiful sight. Emera smiled, glad to be out of the woods.

"That's...the castle?"

Beyond the hills stood a large structure. As they crested the first hill, Emera could see it more clearly. A mansion...no, a castle...stood amidst a clearing of flowers and water. It was huge -- two giant spires on either side and three larger ones in the center. It sparkled in the sunlight as it peaked through the clouds, as if it were made of glass.

Zan nodded in answer to her question, stopping to take a look for himself. "It's beautiful this time of year, when the flowers are in bloom." Then he frowned. "But they may not be for much longer."

"Why not?" Emera asked. "It looks like spring-time. Hasn't there been a lot of rain?"

"Actually, it is summer here," Zan replied, covering his eyes to block out the sun. He looked at his travel companion oddly out of the corner of his eye. "And what's rain?"

"Rain? You've never...oh, never mind," Emera said. She turned to take another look, admiring the castle. Then something dawned on her.

It was a long way off.

Emera sighed, wishing the fish had returned. She had run too hard for too long, and walking through the woods hadn't been much better. Her legs ached and her feet hurt. Her school shoes were not meant for running, or walking long distances. She closed her eyes, sighing. When she opened them, she realized the Zan had started again ahead of her.

"Hey! Zan! Wait up!"




Emera followed Zan through the castle. He was determined to get her to the Master Mage, whoever he or she was. As they walked, she tried to take in as much of the castle as possible. It was stunningly beautiful inside, as well as out. The halls were lined with what looked like crystal.

She hurried on her way as Zan stopped in front of a set of double doors. They were at least 20 feet high and equally wide. Beautifully adorned with golden and blue trim, the doors seemed almost formidable. She was so drawn into the décor that she almost ran into Zan again.

"Wow!"

Zan placed a finger over his lips.

"Hush," he told her. "We're about to enter the Great Hall."

Emera nodded.

"Just let me do the talking," he added. "Only spoke when spoken to."

"Great," Emera muttered with an indignant frown. "I've stepped back into the 12th Century."

Zan motioned for her to be quiet, opening the doors to the Great Hall.

The room beyond was larger than Emera expected. There was little to now decoration in the room, save for a small table to the one side and a small grouping of chairs on the other. Along the back wall in the center was raised platform. In its center was a tall chair, its back stretching into a fan at the top. There was a small man sitting there, eyes closed.

"Zan, I wasn't expecting you back for some time. Your lessons don't begin for another hour."

"Forgive me Master Mage, but I ran into some...trouble," Zan replied. He stopped and bowed, one arm crossed in front of him.

"Who are you calling trouble?" Emera muttered, still frowning.

"I met this girl while hunting in the woods," Zan continued, eyeing Emera wearily. He stood, looking back at the Master Mage. "She was attacked by a Gawloch, and appears to be lost. I thought it best to bring her to you right away."

Master Mage Clef opened his eyes from his meditation. It had been required of him to meditate so many times a day. He had found it frustrating at first, but now he welcomed it. Between taking care of Cephiro and teaching his three new pupils, it was a welcome reprieve.

Standing from his chair, he eyed the children in front of him. Zan looked no worse for wear. But the girl, she looked like she'd taken a mud bath. He stepped from the chair, walking down a small flight of stairs until he stood level with the children. He couldn't help but sense something familiar about the girl, even though they'd never met before.

"What is your name, lady?" Clef asked, stopping in front of her.

Emera had to recover from her shock first. The way Zan had talked, he sounded like a large and powerful man. The Master Mage was much shorter than she expected. His staff towered at least another two feet above him, clanking on the floor as he walked. Large, wild white hair stood on end under a headpiece of some sort. Blue eyes gazed at her as he talked. The little man looked so familiar to her, yet she couldn't remember from where. Then it dawned on her. A story her mother had told her a long time ago, about a tiny magician. Was he it? So many of her mother's stories appeared to be true.

She swallowed hard; quickly trying to straighten her already rumpled outfit. She knew she looked a fright, quickly running a hand through her hair. She curtsied, introducing herself.

"Hououji Emera."

Clef blinked, trying not to let his surprise show. "Hououji?"

"Yes, sir," Emera replied, worried.

"You look...distressed," Clef said curiously.

"I know I must look quite a sight," Emera muttered, blushing in embarrassment.

Clef nodded, a brief smile forming on his lips. "That you do." He turned to Zan. "Please have one of the courtiers inform your mother that we have a guest. I'm sure she'll take care of everything."

"She's staying at the castle?" Zan asked, surprised.

"See to your task," Clef answered sternly. "We will meet for lessons shortly."

Zan looked at Emera oddly, eyes narrowing, before bowing. "Yes, Master Mage."

Without another word he left.

The young girl watched the young knight leave, the large doors closing behind him. Now Emera felt truly uncomfortable. Not that she was comfortable before. But even still, she was scared. And excited. She was really in Cephiro. She had really made it.

But how?

"I am Master Mage Clef," Clef announced formally. "I am honored to meet you Miss Hououji."

Clef watched the young girl closely. Hououji, he said in his mind. So this is Fuu's daughter. He smiled to himself. She's every bit her mother, with a touch of her father on the side, he thought. Then he noticed her uneasiness.

"You have nothing to fear," Clef told her. "You are safe here."

'Yeah, right,' Emera thought, shivering involuntarily. It didn't help that she was half soaked to the bone. Crossing her arms over her middle she replied with a smile, "Nice place you got here."

Clef smiled inwardly again. The comment sounded more like Umi than Fuu. "The castle is the symbol of peace for this land, built by the wills and hearts of the people."

He paused, letting his explanation sink in. There were so many questions on his mind. Did she know where she was? Did she know him? How did she get to Cephiro in the first place? He shoved them all aside, remembering how flustered Hikaru and the others had been when they first arrived. Help the girl feel more at ease first, he told himself.

"What brings you to our castle, Miss Hououji?"

"Well, I wasn't planning on coming to the castle...I don't think," Emera said. Nervous, she wrung her hands in front of her. "I seem to be a bit...lost."

Clef smiled. She was much calmer than he remembered Hikaru or Umi being when they first realized they weren't in Japan anymore. Hiding his amusement he asked, "Lost?"

Emera nodded. "I'm not from around here. And I got attacked by a strange creature and ran into Zan and...." When she realized she was rambling Emera covered her mouth with her hand. "Sorry, you already know about all that."

Clef nodded. She sounded much like Hikaru as well. What a strange child.

"But I do have one question for you, Master Mage."

Clef tilted his head. He suspected what question was on her mind. And she would have her answer soon enough, he thought.

"What would you like to know?" he asked anyway.

"It's about the Magic Knights," Emera started. But before she could continue, the doors to the chamber started to open. There was some scrambling noise before voices could be heard.

"Pu puu pu puu!"

Emera's eyes widened, a smile forming on her lips. "Mokona!"

The small white creature bounced into the room and right into Emera's arms. She hugged him tightly.

"I see you've already met Mokona," Clef said.

"Puu pu!" Mokona exclaimed.

"It's so good to see you too, Mokona," Emera said. She held the creature at arm's length. "But how'd you get here?"

"Clef! Umi and I came as quickly as we could," a woman called out, entering the great hall. No older than perhaps 30, she was dressed in what appeared to be regal robes, and rather cumbersome. Her red hair was tied back in several knots, forming a straight line down the back of her head.

Emera slowly turned around at the sound of the new voice. It sounded strangely familiar. Mokona jumped excitedly in Emera's hands; she had to pull him to her to keep him from falling. She watched, shocked, as the woman entered the hall. Someone followed behind her.

"Yes, we came as soon as we heard," another woman responded. She too was about the same age, and dressed royally in flowing blue and white. Her blue hair was also tied back in a knot, the tail swinging as she ran. "Is there trouble?"

Both women stopped when they saw Emera.

"Hikaru, Umi, it's all right," Clef assured both women with a small smile. "There is nothing to be worried about." He turned to Emera, still smiling. "I believe this answers your question."

Emera could only stare back at the two women, barely hearing a word Clef had said. Without a doubt they looked familiar. And their names. Clef had called them by their names. But it was impossible. They looked just the same as when they had disappeared eleven years ago.

Still...could it be?

"Aunt Hikaru?" Emera asked, her voice barely above a whisper. She took one tentative step, then another. "Aunt Umi?"

"Oh my stars," Hikaru said.

"Emera, dear," Umi said.

Time seemed frozen for mere moments as the women recognized the girl. Mokona bounced happily in her arms. As suddenly as it stopped, time started again, both women running to the young girl. Mokona escaped as they enveloped her in a group hug, crushing the breath from her. Emera could only smile and cry as the women hugged her.

"Just look at you," Umi said, holding her at arm's length. Tears fell silently down her cheeks.

Hikaru was crying as well. "You're all grown up," she said, also standing at arm's length. Then she noticed the condition of the girl's clothes. "And muddy," she added with a smile.

Emera opened her mouth to speak but no sound came out. She looked from Hikaru to Umi in wonder. They were alive. Really alive. Then that meant...!

"Oh, you are a sight," Umi said, finally realizing the mess the girl was in.

"My mother," Emera finally managed to sputter. She was so happy to see her aunt's again that she almost forgot!

Umi placed an arm around her shoulders. "Let's get you cleaned up first."

"But...." Emera began to argue.

"No arguments," Hikaru said with a smile. "Do you really want to greet your mother in those clothes?"

"Pu puu pu?" Mokona asked, frowning.

Emera looked down at herself and sighed. Embarrassed she looked up at Hikaru. "Well, a bath would be nice."

"And you can tell us how you've been," Umi said, ushering her away. Hikaru trailing behind them.

Clef watched as Hikaru and Umi led the young girl from the chamber, Mokona trailing behind. She'd been struck dumb by what had transpired. But then, Hikaru and Umi had been the same way when they first arrived in Cephiro. As had Fuu. He smiled sadly. It would do Fuu good to see her daughter, and Ferio too. But there were questions that remained in his mind, unanswered.

Why was she here, in Cephiro?

And how did she get here?




~~TO BE CONTINUED~~