Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Call of the Heart ❯ Key of Knowledge ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
STUDIO X PRESENTS

MAGIC KNIGHT RAYEARTH:
CALL OF THE HEART

A Story by Miyu, Vampire Princess



Episode Five - The Key of Knowledge




Falling.

That's what it felt like. Falling.

Emera Hououji opened her eyes, hoping to awake from a bad dream. But it was not a dream. She was actually falling. She was surrounded by broken earth on both sides. She looked up, hoping that one of the others had managed to avoid the mess. Alas, all she saw were dark vines covering the spot where she had fallen through.

Instinctively her hands tried to clutch onto something...anything. She managed to grab several small, thin vines on her way downward, but they all snapped under the gravity of her fall. They did slow her down however, breaking her fall. She landed on the ground half as hard as she expected, slamming into something semi-sold.

"Umph!"

Zan barely had time to think as he hit the ground hard. His eyes slowly lifted open, staring into nothingness. His vision was hazy, mostly white. His head was pounding thanks to a small concussion. His body ached, but he could still feel his limbs.

That was, until something landed on top of him. Tingling sensations stretched through his arms and legs, making his fingers and toes prickle painfully. He groaned loudly, unsure of what had fallen on top of him. It was pretty solid whatever it was.

And it weighed a ton.

"Gomen nasai," a small voice quickly apologized.

Zan's intake of breath was sharp. His vision went from white to black then back to white. He blinked, his vision slowly recovering. He could feel whatever landed on him breathing heavily, groaning in pain itself. After a moment he realized what had happened, the voice correlating to information in his brain. His arms moved of their own accord, latching onto the thing on top of him.

"Emera, get off of me," he stated calmly, although it took some doing. "You weigh a ton."

"You're not exactly a soft, feather down-pillow yourself," Emera muttered.

The shock of the fall was slowly wearing off. With Zan's help she moved aside so that she lay on her back next to him. She stared upwards, the hole where they had fallen seemingly miles away and closed over by dirt and vines. There were only tiny cracks, allowing just a little bit of light so that they could see each other.

"Where are we?" Emera asked.

"Somewhere underground. Probably a cavern of some kind," Zan replied. His vision was returning, but the semi-darkness was not helping. His head still pounded and he grimaced as a migraine passed. He groaned, trying to push himself into a sitting position.

"Here, let me help you," Emera said. She had already managed to crawl to her knees. Reaching out with both hands, she placed one on each shoulder and tried to pull him forward.

He gave no argument as she assisted him in sitting up. The pounding in his head seemed to subside a bit, allowing him to open his eyes. Indeed they were inside a cavern. But how far beneath the surface he couldn't tell.

Slowly his eyes focused, until he was able to see Emera in the dim light. She was less battered and bruised than he, tiny scratches littering her face. Her hair was disheveled, coming loose from its tie behind her head. The sleeves of her shirt were torn in several places, revealing bruised skin beneath. The left knee of her pants also sported a dirt stain from her landing. Her eyes showed nothing but concern for him, which he quickly tried to ignore. But there was nowhere he could go to get away from her, so he focused his own eyes on their surroundings, trying to assess their situation.

"We're stuck," she stated simply.

And that pretty much said it all.

Zan sighed. There had to be a way out. Slowly he pushed himself to his knees, eventually standing. Emera stood with him. She didn't reach out this time to help, but was there just in case. He wouldn't admit it at the time, but he was grateful.

"It looks that way," Zan muttered, narrowing his eyes to get a better look around. To their left was nothing but shadows. The their right appeared to be a tunnel of some kind.

What a second, Zan's mind screamed. That wasn't there a minute ago!

The shadows moved to a point revealing a dirt floor and stone walls. There was no telling how long the tunnel was. For all they knew, the shadows could've been hiding a wall. But a small bead of light traveled along the wall, lighting the way until it disappeared around a corner.

"W-what was that?" Emera asked, noticing the speck of light.

Zan blinked. Emera's voice had startled him out of his thoughts. He had almost forgotten that she was standing there.

Almost.

"Our way out," he told her. Cautiously he took a step forward, then another. Once he was sure of his footing he reached behind him, offering Emera his hand. "Let's go."

Emera stared at his hand for a moment. Zan was a very complex young man. One minute he's insulting her, then the next he's being a perfect gentlemen. Far be it for the girl to complain, especially trapped inside a dark cave. She tentatively reached out and took his hand, lightly entwining her fingers with his. Then she took a step forward, following him into the darkness.



ELSEWHERE DEEP INSIDE THE VALLEY OF THE FORGOTTEN. . . .


"Aarn *umph* get off of me!"

Aarn blushed a deep shade of red as he realized he was lying on top of his sister. He moved quickly to get off of her, elbowing her in the stomach and receiving a punch on his shoulder for his efforts.

"Ow! Neiven watch your knees," he complained as his sister started to move as well.

"You deserve it you big ox," she muttered, moving out from underneath Aarn. She frowned at her luck. She had been hoping it was Zan lying on top of her. Of course with the dim light it was hard to see. She suddenly felt sick when she realized it was her brother and not her would-be suitor.

Why in the world didn't she get stuck underground with Zan? It would've been so much better safely wrapped in Zan's protective arms. She frowned deeper. Of course, he'd never hugged her like that before, but she was certain that given the right opportunity he'd see things her way. He was just shy. Yeah, that was it.

But instead he was stuck with Miss Tokyo. She sighed, eyes sparking fire in the darkness. She was certain he was having a bad time, wishing she were near. But the fates were being cruel. She shook her head. Luck was not with them today.

"Neiven?"

The girl turned around on her hands and knees, glaring darts at her brother. "Nani?"

Aarn pointed to the far side of the hole they were buried in, totally oblivious to his sister's despair.

Well, hole might not have been the correct term.

They had fallen several hundred feet to where they were now, with only a few cuts, scrapes and bruises to show for it. And despite the fact that they should've been covered in dirt from where the earth had caved in, there was very little lying around. There should've been a whole in the ceiling as well, but it looked like the vines had covered it over. Only a little bit of sunlight peeked through. And there was no other light to speak of.

"I don't see anything," Neiven said, standing up. She brushed off her pants, stained with dirt. No amount of washing was going to get them out either, she thought with a frown.

After making sure she was in one piece, she looked to where Aarn had been pointing to a small mound of dirt, barely visible in the poor lighting. Neiven had to squint to see it. "It's just dirt," she replied shaking her head.

Then the mound of dirt moved a foot to the left.

Wide eyed, it was Neiven's turn to point. "It moved!"

Aarn sighed, rolling his eyes. "That's what I was trying to tell you," he said. "But what is it?"

"How should I know," the girl replied, hands on her hips. She stepped carefully to the side as Aarn stood, hiding herself behind him. "I'm not a creature expert."

"Stay behind me," Aarn said, slowly drawing a dagger from his boot. He held it in his hand tentatively, ready to strike if necessary. The mound of dirt moved again, closer this time. It continued to move, hoping around like a rabbit. Finally it was less than five feet from the two teens.

"Gotcha!" Aarn screamed, moving forward to attack the mound. At the same time something jumped at him from the floor. It hit him on the head, causing the young man to stagger back a step. "Ow!"

"Pu pu puu."

Neiven blinked, watching as Mokona flopped to the floor, his ears folded over his eyes. She wasn't sure if the creature was crying or injured. Her brother did have a hard after all.

Aarn glanced down at the fallen creatures, smiling in apology. He ran a hand through his messy hair, embarrassed. "Sorry, Mokona. I didn't know it was you."

"Puu pu," the creature said, uncovering its eyes. Mokona smiled up at Aarn, a small red bruise on his forehead. It matched the jewel on his head perfectly.

"Aarn, look at this."

Neiven, relieved that the mound of dirt was merely Mokona, had taken off several feet from her brother. It was darker the further she walked away, but there was a tiny bead of light floating against the wall. It flittered away as the girl drew nearer, following the wall and rounding the corner.

"A tunnel?" Aarn said, hurrying to catch up with his sister. He was half-afraid she'd disappear in the dark. Mokona hurried behind him.

"It looks that way," she said. "But it's too dark to see anything. I could swear I saw something moving...."

"Me, too," Aarn said with a nod. "Perhaps we should follow it. It may lead us out of here."

"Or it may lead us deeper into the planet," Neiven said, unsure.

"Well there's only one way to be sure," her brother replied with a small smile.

"Pu puu pu pu," Mokona said. The jewel on his forehead began to glow. Streams of light shown forth like a miner's hat light. Convinced he had done well, Mokona hopped up and down a few times before heading after the speck of light.

"That's nifty," Aarn said, amazed.

"Hey, hey!" Neiven called after the creature. She grabbed her brother by the wrist and pulled him along behind her. "Wait up!"


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


Walking for what felt like hours and seemingly getting nowhere, Zan and Emera stopped and the third junction they came to. Emera slumped against one wall, exhausted. Zan leaned against the wall opposite her, his eyes closed in thought.

"I think we've been walking in circles," Emera said, taking a deep breath.

Zan opened one eye. "How can you tell?"

"That's just it," Emera said with a sigh. "It's still too dark, so I can't."

Zan nodded. "I think you may be right." He sighed as well, sliding down the wall until he sat on the floor. "But we've gone both ways and we still end up in the same place." He paused once again deep in thought. "We must be missing something."

Emera pulled her knees up to her chin, resting it on top. "Like a hidden door or something. Like in the movie 'Labyrinth'."

"What is this...'Labyrinth'?" Zan asked curiously.

"A movie," Emera said simply. "This girl has to get through this maze - thus the title - to get to her little brother before the clock strikes midnight. But it's very tricky, with all kinds of hidden passages, doorways and trap doors."

"Ah," Zan replied. He had no idea what a movie was, but the maze sounded very familiar to him. "We have a similar story here on Cephiro."

Emera blinked. "Really?"

"Aa. It's said to be hidden within the planet." He shrugged. "No one's ever come back alive."

"Hidden within the planet, huh?" Emera asked, frowning. "I think we found it."

"Aa," was all Zan said in reply. He was lost in his own thoughts again.

Emera shivered, more out of fear than cold. Why did she always have to think the worst in these types of situations? Well, her mind answered, when was the last time you were trapped underground with a handsome young man?

Handsome young man? She was certain her mind had gone nuts.

But it was right about one thing. She had never been trapped underground. Missing a homework assignment was one thing. It was another to be in a life threatening position.

"Are you cold?"

Emera looked up at Zan. His face wore its usual mask of indifference, but there was a hint of concern in his voice. Perhaps she was still daydreaming.

"No," she lied, looking back down at the floor. She hugged her knees closer to her, suppressing another shiver.

Zan watched Emera carefully. She was still a new variable to him. His mother had assured him that she was no threat, but something in him wasn't so sure. Oh, he didn't believe she'd attack him or anything. The girl couldn't even handle a Growleth! He was uncertain as to her role in finding the keys with them, but he wasn't going to question the Master Mage.

Besides, he was grateful for the company. At least she wasn't hanging all over him like Neiven, he thought with a smirk. That was one plus going for her.

"We should keep moving," Zan suggested. He'd seen her shiver again, although she tried to hide it. Carefully he stood, using the wall for support. He looked both ways up and down the hallway. "Which way should we go?"

Emera shrugged, standing herself. "Let's try the left this time. Maybe we'll find a hidden door or something."

Zan nodded, leading the way. Sure enough, after a few feet, the speck of light reappeared. It floated close to the ceiling, lighting a small trail for them to follow.

"Come on," Zan called, taking off at a run.

"Hey, wait," Emera called after him, also breaking into a run.

They followed the light for what felt like hours. Finally it disappeared inside the rock walls, or it fizzled out, leaving the two children in the dark once more. The trail had also ended, leading them to a stone wall.

"A dead end," Emera muttered on a sigh.

Zan sighed as well. "This makes no sense."

"Tell me about it," Emera said, leaning against the stone wall in front of them. She was still trying to catch her breath. She suddenly remembered why she didn't try out for the track team in school. Using both hands to support her, she leaned forward as if pushing against the wall.

And it moved.

With lightening speed, Zan stopped Emera from falling forward, one arm wrapped around her waist. But rather than standing there in embarrassment, the two gawked at the moving wall. It slid backwards slowly, revealing a second passageway. This one was better lit, with tiny torches lining the walls.

"Well, we found that secret passage," Emera said with a smile. She took a step forward then stopped. Something hit her, as if trying to push her backward. The girl blinked, surprised. While she wasn't physically moved, she could still feel it pushing. Like a strong wind blowing in a storm.

But there was no wind.

"What is it?" Zan asked as Emera stopped.

"Do you...feel it?" Emera asked, uncertain of how to describe the feeling.

Zan stepped next to Emera. Immediately an overwhelming feeling of magic hit him. His eyes widened. Were they close to the first article?

"What is it?" Emera asked.

"Magic," Zan stated. He looked down at the girl beside him. "I'm surprised you can feel it."

"I think it's something Clef did," Emera replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

Zan nodded, remembering the strange glow he had seen around her in the courtyard the day before. Indeed, she had some magical ability. Clef had merely awakened it. He wondered briefly what else the Master Mage bestowed upon the girl, then turned his thoughts back to the matters at hand.

"We must be close to the key." With a hand on her back, he ushered Emera to walk with him into the new passage. "Let's go."

The girl didn't argue. They walked side by side for nearly a mile before they came to a rotunda of sorts. There were three additional passages, all leading somewhere unknown.

"To the right," Emera stated, one hand over her chest.

Zan nodded in agreement. The strongest feeling of magic was coming from the right. They followed that passage until it ended in a small cavern. The walls were mad eof smoothed rock, the floor of fine dust and dirt. In the center of the room was a small stone pillar, no taller than three feet perhaps.

As they approached, the pillar began to grow, moving upward out of the ground. The room rumbled as it did so, staggering the two companions as they tried to approach it again. Finally the top of the pillar hit the ceiling and it stopped.

"Zan, look."

The young man followed Emera's glance to the pillar. While it had grown, he had failed to notice that there was a gaping hole in its center. Inside the hole, floating in mid-air and glowing with a faint red glow was the object of their efforts.

The Key of Knowledge.

"Wait here," Zan said. He stepped further into the room, approaching the pillar. He stopped at its base, looking upward. The hole was nearly a whole six feet higher than he could reach. He tried jumping, but even with the help of his magic he couldn't quite reach.

"Here," Emera said, walking up behind him. "Cup your hands like this and give me a boost up there. Maybe I can reach it."

Zan did as requested, lifting her up by her foot. He managed to lift her foot up to his chest, and she did a good job of balancing. The pillar helped them both of course, supporting them as they worked. Emera wasn't as heavy as Zan had anticipated, but it was difficult to hold her up for an extended period of time.

Emera groaned, stretching her arms and trying to reach. While her hands could reach the edge of the hole, they couldn't reach inside. She tried stretching the upper part of her body, but it only gained her an inch. She was still too short.

"I can't reach it. I need to go higher," she told Zan.

Zan lowered her to the ground. His arms ached with his recent efforts and he sagged against the pillar, resting. His chest ached as well, and his head began to pound again. He winced at the start of a headache but quickly tried to push it aside.

"Are you all right?" Emera asked, concerned. She had forgotten about his previous injuries.

"Let's try something else," he said, kneeling on the ground. For an instant Emera was afraid he was going to pass out, but then he instructed for her to step onto his back. "Get on my shoulders," he told her.

"You mean stand on your shoulders?" Emera asked, unsure. And there was the reason she never tried out for the pep squad. She wasn't thrilled at the prospect of being tossed into the air let alone stand on someone's shoulders.

'What can be so hard about it,' her mind asked. 'Just do it.'

Taking a deep breath Emera did as instructed. Tentatively she stepped onto his shoulders, one foot at a time. She placed her hands on the pillar, to help them both keep their balance as Zan stood.

"Can you reach it?" Zan asked, grimacing again as his knees began to buckle. She was heavier this way, but it had to be done. "Emera?"

"I think so," she said, stretching her arms out once again. Blindly she grasped for anything, finally finding the object of their first quest. She smiled happily, clutching it in her hand while using the other to support herself against the pillar. "I got it."

"Good," Zan replied. "Step off my shoulders. I'll catch you."

Emera did so, the sickening feeling of falling settling in the pit of her stomach until her feet hit solid ground. Zan was able to grab her around the waist, slowing her descent and helping her to land safely. When he looked up at her, she was smiling at him.

"Here," she said, holding out her hand to him.

In the palm of her hand lay a key. It glowed an almost blinding red. The object appeared to be surrounded by magic, but it wasn't harmful. At least not yet. He took the key from Emera, laying it in the palm of his hand. It continued to glow red, the glow fading slightly as he took it from Emera.

"So what do we need to do to turn it on?"

Zan blinked at Emera's question. Clef had neglected to tell them that. And they had met with little resistance in getting the key. Were there no guardians around? Or were the Rune Gods unconcerned about who obtained the treasure?

"This was too easy," Zan stated, turning the key over in his hands in examination.

"Oh come on. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth," Emera told him, grabbing his arm and pulling him along.

"Gift horse?" Zan questions curiously. "Is there such a thing?"

Emera sighed. "It's an old expression where I come from. It means not to question your luck. Now, let's get out of here.... Just in case."




"We are SO lost!"

Aarn smiled lightly at his sister's frustration. But then, he couldn't argue with her. They had been walking for a long time, and in circles it seemed. Even Mokona, who was once bouncing happily at the head of the threesome, moved sluggishly with a frown on his face.

"It's a big cave," Aarn reminded.

"But I'm certain we passed that tree root before," Neiven said, eyeing the dark bark through squinted eyes.

"How can you be certain?" Aarn asked, shrugging. "Everything looks alike in the dark. Right, Mokona?"

"Puu puu," the creature answered with a nod.

"But I'm certain...." Neiven's voice trailed off as the tree root began to move. "Aarn!"

"Nani?" he asked, turning back to look at his sister. She was cowering away from the wall, a dark vine moving towards her. "Neiven, move."

Backed up against the opposite wall now, Neiven smiled nervously. A second vine came out of the opposite wall and moved toward the young woman. Followed by a third, a fourth and fifth. Three vines emerged from the wall Neiven was leaning against, causing her to scream loudly. Unfortunately her voice wasn't enough to deter the roots from chasing after her.

"Aarn, what's happening?" she screamed, running over to join her brother.

"I don't know," Aarn said, placing a protective arm in front of his sister. "But I sense magic."

"Magic?" Neiven stared at him as if he'd gone mad. "How could there be magic here?"

"There's magic all over Cephiro," Aarn told her. He started backing away from the oncoming roots, forcing Neiven to step backwards as well. "At least that's what the Master Mage claims."

"Well I'm not saying Clef's wrong," Neiven said biting her bottom lip. She clutched onto her brother's shoulder moving backwards with him. "But why here?"

Aarn paused. It was a very good question. "Perhaps we're near the first item Clef wanted us to find."

Neiven nodded. It was as good an explanation as any. "Can you locate using your magic?"

Aarn shook his head. "Nope. You?"

"I can't sense anything out of the ordinary," Neiven admitted with a frown.

"Pu pu pu puu!" Mokona said, bouncing up and down.

Brother stared at sister as sister stared back. Then they both looked at Mokona, confused.

"What did he just say?" Aarn asked.

"You're asking the wrong person," Neiven replied.

"Puu pu! Puu pu!" Mokona said. Then he bounced off towards the shadows behind them.

"Mokona!" Neiven called. She tapped her brother on the shoulder. "I think we should follow him."

"We followed him before and look where it's gotten us," Aarn said with a frown. He drew his sword as more vines joined the others. They continued moving forward slowly.

"Now is not the time to question," Neiven said in an imitation of Clef. She grabbed a hold of one arm and pulled him. "Let's go!"

"Puu pu!" Mokona called from the shadows.

Aarn nodded, keeping his sword drawn in case the vines decided to make hot pursuit. He allowed Neiven to drag him backwards, before turning and running with her. They found Mokona not too far ahead of them. He was heading towards an adjoining passageway.

'That wasn't there before,' Aarn thought.

Once they reached the new passageway, Neiven let go of Aarn's arm and continued walking ahead of him. She glanced back over her shoulder...and gasped. Aarn eyed her worriedly and turned to look with her.

The vines had disappeared.

"Magic," they both muttered, sighing in relief.

"Pu pu puu," Mokona said. He waited for them to catch up before bouncing off again.

"Where do you think we are now?" Aarn asked.

"How should I know?" Neiven responded, frustrated. "I just want to get out of this place."

Aarn nodded understandably. "I agree."

They followed the passage until they came to a circular cave. There were three other passages to take from that point. One looked no different than another. They looked at each then back at their choices.

Neiven stared down at Mokona. "So which way do we go?"

Mokona stared at each passage in turn. He bounced once towards the first passage, then shook his head. He bounced over to the second passage and shook his head again. With a final bounce he landed in front of the third passage. He stared at it longer than the other two, then his ears perked up.

A strange light was shown inside the third passage, moving closer.

"Puu!" Mokona said with a smile. He bounced up and down happily then off into the passage.

"I guess we go that way," Aarn said with a small smile. He took several steps before he noticed the shadows moving inside the passage. He held out an arm to halt Neiven.

"What's wrong?" she asked, looking into the passage. "If Mokona thinks it's okay...."

"There's something in that passage," Aarn stated seriously.

THUD! THUD!

Neiven and Aarn looked at each before moving closer to the passage. When they reached the entrance they discovered the source of the noise. Mokona bounced up and down happily on top of a pile of dirt. After a moment did they realize that the pile of dirt was actually Emera and Zan.

"Ow. Mokona stop that!" Emera nearly shouted.

"Are you guys all right?" Aarn asked, immediately moving to help Emera.

"We're fine," Zan stated, standing. "We were just surprised by Mokona is all."

"I'm so glad you're okay!" Neiven sprung forward, jumping onto Zan and wrapping her arms around his neck in a choke hold hug. The young man barely had time to respond, both of them falling to the floor.

Emera accepted Aarn's hand in aide gratefully. Once Mokona stopped bouncing on her, she stood with the young man's help. She smiled, happy to see that both brother and sister were okay.

"We found the key," she stated happily.

Neiven looked up from the floor, dumbfounded. "The key?" She looked down at Zan, who was squirming beneath her. "Really?"

"Yes," he grunted, managing to push Neiven off of him. He took several deep breaths then reached into one of the pouches on his belt. "I have it right here."

Aarn walked over to them, kneeling down to get a good look at the object in Zan's hand. It looked just as its name, a key. Gold in color, it glowed a faint red. Aarn blinked, curious.

"What does it do?" he asked.

Zan looked at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

"It's a key, stupid," Neiven said, standing. She dusted off her pants before placing her hands on her hips. "It's supposed to open a door, of course."

"Not necessarily," Emera commented. "It could open a box." She paused, frowning. "Or it may not open anything at all."

"That's silly," Neiven said, waving a dismissing hand. "Of course it opens SOMETHING." She paused too, brow furrowing in thought. "But what?"

"I suppose we'll find out once we get it back to the Master Mage," Zan said, staring at the key. He clutched it in his hand, placing it back into the pouch. "First thing's first. We have to get out of here."

"Sunlight would be nice." Neiven nodded in agreement.

"But how do we get out of here?" Emera asked.

"Puu puu pu."

All four children looked down at Mokona. He was bouncing up and down happily, trying to get their attention.

"Pu puu!"

Aarn looked at Emera, eyebrows raised questioningly. "What did he just say?"

Emera blinked. "He knows the way out...I think."

"You think?" Neiven asked.

"Mokona talk is not an exact science," Emera muttered, frowning. Then she smiled. "But he's pretty sure of himself."

Zan looked skeptical. "How can you tell?"

"Usually by how excited he gets," Emera replied with a shrug.

"Well," Neiven said, looking down at the creature with a small smile. "He seems pretty excited."

"Pu puu pu," Mokona said. He stopped bouncing and was nodding vigorously, his whole body moving with the effort.

"What are we standing around for then?" Aarn asked, his lips forming a smile of his. "Let's get out of this place." He placed a hand over his stomach. "I'm starving!"

Emera giggled. Zan and Neiven just rolled their eyes.


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


As they emerged from underground, the sun was setting below the mountains in the west. They breathed deeply, taking in the fresh air of the valley -- even if it did smell like smoke.

The fog that had dissipated that morning was now beginning to thicken. Shadows grew longer as the sun continued its descent. Using what little light was left, the children headed west towards the mountains.

"I am SO hungry," Aarn said, trudging along in the back of the pack.

Zan looked back over his shoulder at the young man. "Don't you have any more of your rations?"

"In case you hadn't noticed," Neiven said sourly. She hugged her arms around herself as a cool breeze settled into the valley. "We've all lost our bags. They're probably somewhere in this valley, hidden beneath a pile of dirt."

Zan blinked. He'd been so caught up in the moment that he hadn't thought about their provisions. They were all missing their bags, save for the packs around his waist and the small pouch Aarn carried on his belt. He grimaced inwardly. How were they supposed to survive the night in the valley without food...and weapons? Aarn and Zan still had their swords. But the girls had nothing.

Except magic.

Emera sighed. "Sleeping arrangements shouldn't be a problem." She looked down at Mokona, now nestled warmly in the circle of her arms. "Ne, Mokona?"

The creature nodded.

"But what about food?" Aarn whined.

Neiven rolled her eyes. "It's not like you're going to waste away to nothing you big ox," she said, slapping her brother on his shoulder. "Wait till we reach the end of the valley. We'll figure it out then."

"But I'm hungry now," Aarn said, holding his stomach with both hands.

The ground under their feet began to rumble again. They stopped, unsure of what was to happen next. Was the ground going to cave in again?

"I hope that was your stomach, Aarn," Neiven replied, eyes wide.

THUMP THUMP! THUMP THUMP! THUD!

Emera hugged Mokona closer to her. Her eyes searched around her, but the fog had grown dense. Visibility was close to zero. The thumping noises continued, until she finally realized what they were.

Footsteps.

"Guys," Emera said nervously. "I think something's coming."

Zan looked through the fog at Emera. He could barely make out the young girl although she was standing only three feet away. "But what?"

THUMP THUMP! "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr."

All four teens stopped breathing as the growl grew louder.

"I can't see through the fog," Neiven said, scared. She took several steps back, bumping into something behind her. She sighed in relief. "Aarn, are you all right?"

"Of course," Aarn replied. He stared at his sister through the fog. He could barely make out her silhouette. "Why wouldn't I be?" He continued to stare into the fog, trying to keep tabs on his sister. Then something else came into view. "Umm...Neiven?"

"Did you suddenly grow taller?" Neiven asked, one hand reaching behind her. She had hoped to grasp one of Aarn's hands, only to come in contact with something solid and furry. She blinked swallowing hard. Slowly she took one step forward. "Aarn, there's something behind me."

Aarn nodded, although his sister could not see the movement. "I know," he said. "Keep walking forward slowly."

"I can't see anything," Emera said.

THUMP THUMP! "Grrrrrrrr."

"But I can hear it," Zan said. He drew his sword from his back, holding it at the ready. "Aarn? Neiven?"

Neiven couldn't hold it in anymore. She screamed loudly without turning around. She had hoped that it would scare the monster away.

But it only served to make the monster angry.

It howled into the wind. The sound sent chills down Neiven's spine. Her next instinct was to run. But it was already too late. Something came at her through the fog. She stopped screaming as it hit her, sending her flying into Zan's back some ten feet away. They both fell to the ground surprised.

Zan dropped his sword, catching himself with his hands. The impact had sent another sliver of pain up his spine. It faded quickly, even though the pounding in his head only got stronger. He stumbled to his feet, not realizing that one of the pouches around his waist had opened. The Key of Knowledge fell to the ground, unnoticed. It continued to emanate a strange red glow, the light barely cutting through the fog.

"Neiven?" Aarn called, drawing his sword as well. "Emera? Zan? What's going on?"

"Something, hit me," Neiven managed to say, crawling to her knees with one hand over her chest.

Before Aarn could say another word, something came at him through the fog. He had enough time to step backwards, avoiding the blow. He saw a furry claw as it swung by him again and heard the beast growl in anger. The size of the claw that swung at him indicated that they weren't dealing with an average monster. It easily matched Aarn's height, and moved just as fast.

Aarn continued to step backwards through the fog the beast following him. Finally, with a loud cry, Aarn charged the beast with his sword.

Only to get clobbered by the beast.

Zan saw this and exclaimed, "Aarn wait!" But it had been too late. A claw reached out to grab him as well, but he backed away, bumping into Emera and nearly stepping on Neiven as she was trying to stand.

"Aarn?" Neiven called, worried.

"This fog is only making things worse," Zan commented, regaining his own balance before charging the beast. He dodged the claw as it swung at him a second time, slicing the air with his sword.

It hit nothing.

Zan blinked, confused. "What matter of creature is this?"

"Puu pu puu," Mokona muttered, shivering in Emera's arms.

"What did he say?" Neiven asked.

"I'm not sure," Emera said. "I think Mokona's too scared to think straight."

"That makes two of us," Neiven muttered in reply, looking around frantically for any sign of her brother. "Aarn, are you all right? Talk to me, brother!"

Aarn had hit the ground. Hard. He landed on his back, sending light tingly sensations throughout his limbs. When the sensation subsided he moved, bending his knees and trying to sit up. His arms were shaky, a sick feeling falling into the pit of his empty stomach. Blinking rapidly, he tried to rid himself of his double vision.

"I'm all right," he said aloud. 'I think.' He kept that thought in the back of his head as he sat up. His hand brushed against something on the ground. Instinctively he grabbed it, opening his hand close to his face so he was certain to make out what it was.

Suddenly light encompassed him. He opened his mouth to speak but no sound came out. Eyes wide, he stared at the object in his hand. He stood quickly, not sure if it was under his own power or the objects. He closed his eyes as images caressed his mind. He couldn't see them clearly, but then a voice began to speak to him through his thoughts.

//I have found you.//

Emera blinked, unsure if it was her head swimming or the fog playing tricks on her. Something moved out of the corner of her eye. A red light shown through the fog. She thought that perhaps it had been her imagination. But as she turned, she could see the red glow clearly now.

"Aarn?" she muttered.

"Puu pu?" Mokona asked. He looked up at Emera, then in the direction she was looking. His eyes widened and he smiled happily. He jumped from Emera's arms to the ground, bouncing up and down happily. "Pu pu! Pu pu!"

Neiven also looked at Emera, then ahead to where a bright flash of red light caught her eye. She blinked, clearing her vision. Through the fog, inside the light, she could make out a shadow. It looked strangely like her brother, but she couldn't be sure.

"Zan, look," she told the young man.

Zan managed to block the latest swing from the monster, his sword still cutting through thin air. He dared a glance at Neiven, then beyond her at a strange glowing light. He blinked in surprise, trying to assess what it was. Finally it dawned on him. He stood to his full height, lowering his sword slightly.

"The key," Zan said, eyes wide. "Aarn has activated the key."




~~TO BE CONTINUED~~