Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Call of the Heart ❯ Upon the Valley of Dragons ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
STUDIO X PRESENTS

MAGIC KNIGHT RAYEARTH:
CALL OF THE HEART

A Story by Miyu, Vampire Princess



Episode Nine - Upon the Valley of Dragons




The morning after their battle with the water demons, Mokona woke each of the children up early. Well it wasn't all that early. If they had been at the castle they'd have missed breakfast. Not that any of them would've minded. The battle the night before had exhausted them, especially Zan and Neiven who hadn't fully recovered from the pond water.

But Mokona's insistence was undeniable. Zan was the first to get out of bed and make his way towards the nearest shower. The little hut had two. One for the girls and one for the boys, Zan supposed, even though there were no signs on the doors.

Emera followed him out into the small living area. She blinked when she heard a door close, only to realize someone was in one of the bathrooms. Glad she wasn't the only one awake, the young girl trudged over to a chair and plopped down into it. She stretched her arms over her head and yawned.

Neiven appeared next. Her eyes were barely open as she left her room. She ran one hand through her hair as another patted her stomach. She didn't get to eat anything before going to bed and she was starving now. She blinked sleepily, heading for the second bathroom.

Aarn was the last to appear. His blonde hair stuck up in all directions.
He looked more awake than the rest of them. Apparently he'd gotten the most sleep, if not the best. Smiling he left his room and walked over to join Emera in the living area.

Everyone was ready to go before lunchtime. They left the hut quickly, knowing that it would disappear as soon as they were done. Mokona smiled happily, glad he could be of help. He bounced along behind the group as they continued through the Forest of Hope.

Zan led the group for a while. Neiven, Aarn and Emera took turns as well. The walk through the woods was less than eventful. They paused twice to take shelter from the sweltering sunlight. They refilled their water pouches and snacked. During the second stop, Mokona revealed the location of the third item.

Dragon Mountain.

"What's Dragon Mountain?" Emera asked.

"A large volcano on the southern most tip of the country," Zan tried to explain, pointing to its location on the holographic map Mokona projected. "If we keep heading south, we'll be able to cross the Valley of Magic to get there."

"What about the canyon?" Aarn asked. "We might fair better if we...."

"If we went that way it would take us another day to reach the volcano," Neiven interrupted her brother. She wrinkled her nose and shook her head. "We don't have that much time."

"Then we'd best keep going," Emera stated.

Before long, they reached another town. It was just as big as the first town they'd been to if not bigger. The plaque on the city gate read "Guedendor".

"Guedendor?" Aarn scratched his head. "I didn't think we were that close to dragon country."

"We're not," Zan corrected. "This village was named after the dragon slayer. He was said to be born here."

"Oh," Aarn replied with a nod in understanding.

"Anou...There are dragons in Cephiro?" Emera asked.

Neiven nodded. "The southern part of the country is laiden with them." She glanced at Emera curiously. "You're mother never told you about them?"

"I don't think mother ever met one," Emera replied, trailing the group as they walked through the city gates. "At least, not before I was born."

"Are there no dragons in Tokyo?" Aarn asked curiously.

"There used to be," Emera said. "A long time ago, I think." She shook her head. "But not any more."

"It's probably a good thing," Zan said. "They're not always the friendliest of creatures."

"Pu pu," Mokona agreed.

The teenagers located a tavern not far from the center of town. It didn't appear to be busy, but then it was very late in the afternoon. The late crowd probably had not shown up yet. Many people were still at work.

They took a table in a far corner. A barmaid came to take their orders. She was a tall woman, with long black hair and green eyes. She smiled in welcome to the four, asking what they'd like to eat.

"The biggest piece of pork steak you can spare," Aarn's stomach said, but his mouth said something quite different. "A small portion of pork steak if you please, with a large helping of mashings."

His stomach grumbled in protest but there was little it could do. It was all he could afford.

Zan order the same. He really had no appetite to speak of, but he knew he had to eat. Since he'd talked to Emera that night at the inn, he'd been worried about his mother. Not that she would leave and go back to Tokyo, but rather that her illness would get worse, as Fuu's had. He was anxious to find the third key and get back to the castle. But rushing would only get them into trouble.

Emera's stomach turned at the thought of a meal. She'd had no breakfast that morning, although she did snack on the trail. She was worried about her mother as well. They'd had no contact from Clef since last night. She was hoping for a bit of good news. But then she realized that no news was just as good. Her mother may be sick, but she wasn't a goner yet either. She ordered a small salad from the tiny menu, hoping it wouldn't upset her stomach further. She also ordered a cup or fruit for Mokona.

Neiven took the opportunity to be a pig. She ordered a salad, as well as a large helping of eggs and mashings, not to mention a custard pie for dessert. The waitress seemed surprised the girl was ordering so much, but kept her curiosity to herself.

When the waitress left, Zan addressed the group. "How are we on provisions?"

"I've still got most of my things," Neiven said with a shrug. "I could use a new outfit though."

"You've got plenty of clothes," Aarn stated with a frown. He turned to Zan, sitting across from him. "I've got half of my original sack as well. I think we should be good until we have to return home."

"What about you, Emera?" Neiven asked.

"I should be all right. Most of my food provisions are still good." She looked thoughtfully across at Zan. "What about you?"

"I'm fine," he said with a nod. "But I'm thinking we should pick up some extra gear for the valley. Just in case."

Aarn nodded. "That may be a good idea. We may run into some dragons."

Neiven's eyes widened. "Don't say that too loudly," she scolded her brother. "One of them might hear you."

"We're not that close to dragon country," Zan replied. "Besides, it would not do us any good if we got corned by a dragon."

"What would happen then," Emera asked curiously.

"Puu pu pu," Mokona said sadly.

Neiven looked at Mokona and frowned. "I think I understood that."

"Me, too," Aarn added.

Emera blinked. "Okay, so bad things would happen," she said, still uncertain. "That doesn't answer my question."

"Specifics shouldn't be necessary," Zan said, lowering his voice. "It really depends on the dragon."

"We may suffer a very quick death," Aarn said, looking thoughtful. "Or we could writhe in pain for days." He shrugged. "It just really depends on the dragon."

Emera had never read much about dragons. They were large, nasty creatures, the lot of them. But that didn't make them evil or bad. Still, she had to take her friends' word for it. The thought of meeting up with a dragon frightened her very much.

The barmaid returned with their food. She smiled at them again, placing the bill on the edge of the table before walking away. The children stared at their food, the previous conversation gone.

"Let's eat," Aarn said, his fork poised over the pork steak.


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


It was just after sundown. Activity in Cephiro castle had ceased less than an hour ago. Most of the servants had settled in for the night to come. The air was still and quiet.

'Almost too quiet,' thought the Master Mage.

Clef paced the floor of the Great Hall. He'd been doing so for well over an hour. While he'd sensed the drop in activity in the castle signaling evening's approach, he paid little mind to it. His thoughts were focused on something else.

Or rather, someone else.

As predicted, Umi had fallen ill that morning. Clef theorized that it had something to do with the Key of Nobility being taken from its resting place. The same had happened to Fuu after Windam's key had been found. He was almost certain Hikaru would befall the same fate. It was only a matter of time.

Of course, Clef blamed himself. For all of his preparation and hard work, this had still come to pass. Hopefully, once the children returned with the keys, he would be able to change that.

Clef stopped pacing, sighing audibly. His thoughts kept turning to Umi. The two were very close friends. They had even shared a few intimate moments. But as a Master Mage, Clef was not allowed much in the way of personal emotion. He was the same Emeraude, Umi had once told him. Only the consequences of his falling in love would not be as devastating, or so he had hoped.

Sitting in his chair, a small babble floated in the air towards him. He halted its movement by raising a hand. The ball stopped just a few feet away. A light flickered from within, asking the Master Mage a question. He nodded in response.

The babble glistened with white light. It appeared foggy on the inside, but once the fog cleared, one could see a very clear picture indeed. Clef glanced into it, watching as Hikaru crossed Fuu's bed to check on Umi. Ferio was there as well, holding Fuu's hand and praying silently for her to get well.

The two Magic Knights had been moved to a medical facility inside the castle. Granted it wasn't as comfortable as their own quarters, but Clef wanted to be able to monitor them both easily. Fuu's condition had not worsened since the second key was located. That was a good sign at least.

But it still worried the Master Mage that the removal of the keys would be such an intolerable thing. The Knights had always been connected to the Rune Gods. From the moment they first donned the armor and charged into battle, they were linked to the mashins in a way most people could not fathom.

It was the reason, Clef speculated, that the Knights had gotten ill after the final battle. The power of the Rune Gods was diminishing, and it was having a causal effect on the Knights themselves. He had been able to slow the process until recently. Something was still interfering with his powers. Another form of magic. And he knew now that that magic was coming from within the walls of Cephiro castle. He would not have fathomed it before, but after his confrontation with Mathis the previous day, it was all too apparent.

Mathis had come to Cephiro castle ten years after the battle with the Pharuks ended. Autozam, his homeworld, had been hit harder than any of the other worlds. While Autozam had many defenses, it had little in the way of magic. Clef was more than happy to teach a student. It had felt like ages since he had done so.

Mathis was chosen for two reasons. First he was the cousin of Prince Eagle, and third in line to inherit the throne. Secondly, he was the only one among the royals of Autozam that showed a remote interest in magic, let alone talent.

Clef was skeptical at first, although he figured it had been because he'd been without students for so long. But Mathis was a diligent student, even more so than Zan at times. Only now did Clef realize why.

'Don't jump to conclusions,' Clef told himself. 'Mathis arrived several years after the illness struck the Knights. It is not his fault that they are ill.'

But it was his fault that they were not getting better.

With another sigh, Clef waved the floating babble away. Perhaps it was time to put his thoughts to rest. Mathis would be appearing for lessons shortly. Although he would not ask directly, Clef would find out whether or not Mathis was behind this disturbance.

For Umi's sake.


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


The children rose bright and early the next morning. The Guedendor Inn was not the cleanest place in the city, but it was a comfortable bed and a hot shower. Provisions replenished and fully rested, they began their journey for the Valley of Dragons.

According to Mokona's map, it was at least a day's walk. Aarn had suggested purchasing some horses. There were some fine steeds in town, and for a good price. But after their stay at the inn, they didn't have enough money.

So on foot it was. They journeyed south of town and into the Green Sea. Emera was surprised to discover that the Green Sea was indeed green, but it was not a sea -- at least in the true sense of the word. Fields of green and brown covered a vast area, rolling onward until they reached the Hills of Victory.

"Why are they called the 'Hills of Victory'?" Emera asked.

"The battle with the Pharuks ended in this part of the country," Zan explained. He was leading the group, eyes carefully focused on the trail ahead. "The last of their warriors was said to fall in these hills."

"The Pharuks must've been a very fierce people," Emera commented. "They seemed to do a lot of damage at any rate."

"The Pharuks were actually a very peaceful people," Neiven said, walking closely beside Zan. For once she was not trying to hang all over him. There had been some subtle changes in her since she acquired the Key of Nobility. Apparently for the better.

"So what drove them to war?" Emera asked.

"The will to survive," Aarn replied. He trailed the group, keeping a watch on their backs. "Their planet was dying, and with Autozam's treaty with Cephiro, they felt threatened."

"Greed played a big part as well," Zan added. "Knowing that Cephiro was so rich with life, and that their own world was slowly dwindling, the Pharuks wanted in on the deal."

"I must say, they went about it in the wrong way," Emera said, frowning.

"You got that right," Neiven said. "At first the battle had been between the Pharuks and Autozam. But it quickly grew into a war that involved all four countries. Nasty fight it was too. That's why the Magic Knights were called back to Cephiro."

And Emera knew what happened after that. Well, not all of the details, but enough. She sighed audibly, kicking at a stone as she walked.

The rest of the trip was relatively quiet. They stopped once, just a few hours from the valley, to rest and eat. Mokona conjured up a delightful meal of pork buns and fruit. Once done, they continued their trek reaching the Valley of dragons just as the sun was falling towards the horizon.

The valley itself was huge, carved with stone cliffs, dark caves and sandy trails. There were no trees, no other sign of plant life. But the most prominent feature was the large volcano. It looked taller than a mountain, the summit covered in white.

All four gawked at their new surroundings.

"This is it?" Aarn said, a bit disappointed. "Where are all the dragons?"

"Aarn, there aren't many dragons left here, remember," Neiven said. "Master Mage Clef told us so."

"He did?" The young man scratched his head, confused.

Zan shook his head. "He did. There are only a handful of dragons still surviving in this area." He looked at the group pointedly. "And we don't want to wake a single one."

"Right." The others nodded in agreement.

"Pu pu puu," Mokona said, nodding as well.

The clouds seemed to gather and darken as they entered the valley. The bright sunny day was now littered with dark, threatening clouds. It was all part of the magic of the valley, Zan had warned. A way of frightening away unwanted guests.

Without warning, it started to rain.

"UGH! Why me?" Neiven whined. She had donned a new outfit that day, one that she had purchased in Guedendor.

Zan rolled his eyes. "It's only rain, Neiven. You'll dry."

"Puu pu!" Mokona bounced up and down happily, playing in the rain.

Emera lifted her face to the pouring rain. The cool water felt good on her skin. She'd gotten quite the sunburn over the past two days. She smiled closing her eyes and letting the rain cool her off.

Aarn raised a hand over his face. It did little to protect him from the falling rain, and like Emera, he was basking in its coolness. He smiled, not caring if his clothes got soaked or not. He had a change of clothes in his bag.

The rain started to fall impossibly harder. No longer cool to the touch, the water had gotten warmer. It stung the skin where it landed, causing the four teens to cry out.

Zan's eyes quickly searched for shelter. He scanned the ridge and nearby cliffs. Mokona bounced away towards a nearby ridge, disappearing inside a cave. Intentional or not, the creature had helped them out again. He pointed to it shouting over the downpour.

"There's a cave. Come on!"

Running as fast as possible, the four headed for the cave. The rain continued to pour down hard, chipping at the sandy earth beneath it. Breathless, the teens leaned against the walls of the cave, staring out into the rain.

"I've never heard of a hot rain before," Aarn said, standing. He walked to the cave entrance, looking out into the valley. They could see the volcano from the cave. And it looked much closer than before.

"Me either," Zan said. He stared at the ground, watching as the rain crashed into it. He was silent for a moment before continuing. "We'll stay here until the rain stops."

"Fine by me," Neiven said with a frown. She was glad to out of the searing downpour, but her clothes were still wet. "It'll take me a while to dry out."

"Me too," Emera commented. She was thoroughly soaked from head to toe. Her skin burned where the warm rain had seared it. Thankfully her arms were not bare, like Aarn's. Otherwise they would've been burnt much worse.

"You're burnt," Zan told Aarn, nodding to the red pockmarks on the other man's forearms and shoulders.

"I'll live," Aarn said. "I think I still have some salve. I can use that if it gets worse. But they should be all right by morning."

"Assuming you don't have to run through another hot rain," Emera said.

"Yeah," Aarn said with a small smile. "That too."

"It's starting to slow," Zan stated. "We won't have to wait long."

"Well I'm going to change my clothes," Neiven said, walking further into the cave. "I can trust you guys not to look, right?"

Zan and Emera nodded. Aarn simply smirked.

"Why would I want to look?" Aarn asked sarcastically.

"Jerk," Neiven said, stepping into the shadows. She was about to take her shirt off when she felt a gush of air rush past her. She stepped from the shadows, glaring accusingly at her brother. "That's not funny, you big oaf."

Aarn blinked, looking at his sister. "What?"

"Using the key to cause a wind surge. Don't think I didn't notice."

"Neiven, Aarn hasn't used the key at all today," Zan said. "It must be your imagination."

The girl blinked. Aarn looked innocent enough. Besides, he wouldn't be so foolish as to waste Windam's powers just to tease her. Perhaps she had been mistaken.

"Well, all right," she said stepping into the shadows again. She kneeled down to her bag, opening it when another gust of wind passed. She stood up, stepping out of the shadows again. "There it was again. Are you sure you're not doing it unintentionally, Aarn?"

"Positive, the boy said with a nod. He looked back at his sister strangely.
"Why would I want to...do...some...oh, by the Master Mage," Aarn muttered.

"Pu puu." Mokona shivered in Emera's arms.

"Umm, Neiven...." Emera began, but words failed to form in her mind.

Neiven pouted her hands on her hips. She looked at Emera and Zan, both staring at her with wide eyes. Then she looked at her brother curiously. He was staring at her as if she were about to get eaten by some ugly monster. She rolled her eyes.

"What," she asked them. "What is it?"

"Neiven, don't move," Zan warned.

"Oh come on, why not?" she asked, turning around. Her eyes went wide, her bottom lip trembling as she realized what her friends were staring at.

Then she screamed.


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


"Where are they, the little brats?"

Mathis had been less than pleased with his lessons today. Not only was the Master Mage rough on him verbally, but he showed no mercy with his magic either. Their previous display seemed but mere child's play compared to the show of power he received from Clef earlier that afternoon.

The Master Mage had not been in a good mood. Perhaps he was beginning to unravel the mystery Mathis so desperately needed as cover. Or perhaps he was just upset over Umi.

In either case, Mathis knew that he had to work quickly now to finish his task.

Standing in the garden, trying to forget his encounter with the Master Mage, Mathis stared into one of the fountains. He was eager to see what the other four were up to. They had found the second key, of that he was sure. But had they been able to locate the third one?

The pool at the bottom of the fountain swirled innocently within its concrete confinement. The clear blue water churned, spinning until the clear water was replaced with a moving picture. The four children were still together, Aarn and Neiven glowing with the light from their keys. They were walking through a darkened valley when it started to rain. They hurried their steps seeking shelter in a nearby cave.

Mathis sighed. They were close to the third key. He could feel it in his stomach. It was both a blessing and a curse. It meant that his little charade would have to come to an end. That is, if Clef hadn't uncovered him already. But what concerned Mathis was to whom the last key would be entrusted.

Would it be Zan or Emera?

Or would it be neither of them?

In either case, he would have to report his findings and hurry his mission along. The Rune Gods had to be found and the Magic Knights put out of the way. Otherwise, all would be for naught.

"Is there something in the water?"

Mathis blinked, surprised to see Hikaru's reflection in the water beside his. He snapped his head to left to look at her. Had she seen? Did she know? She was smiling happily, a sign that she had not seen what he had. He sighed in relief, offering her a smile in return.

"Good afternoon, Lady Hikaru," he said with a small bow. "I trust you are felling well today."

"As well as possible," she replied with a polite nod. She appeared to be her usual cheerful self, despite her illness and the chaos ensuing around her. "Why were you staring at the water? It seems very strange."

"I find the fountain very relaxing," Mathis said. It was not totally a lie, but he could not tell her the truth.

"How were lessons today?" Hikaru asked.

"Very tough, I must say," Mathis replied. "I'm afraid that the Master Mage is getting tough in his training."

"But that is as it should be. How else would you learn?"

"Very true, lady, very true." Mathis glanced beyond Hikaru, sensing the presence of another. In the shade of the trees, Lantis lounged against a cement pillar. While the other man looked uninterested in their conversation, Mathis knew he was watching.

"Please excuse me," Mathis said, bowing again. "I wish to clean up and rest before supper."

Hikaru nodded, watching the young man as he walked back into the castle. Her smile faded slightly as he disappeared through a doorway. She had sensed him using magic. That is what drew her to him. But as soon as she arrived the magic had disappeared.

It was unlike her to be suspicious, especially of Mathis. The boy had always been quiet and obedient to the Master Mage. And yet, there was something inside her -- a gnawing feeling in the pit of her stomach that said he was trouble. She started to frown as Lantis approached her from behind.

"Is something troubling you?" he asked.

Hikaru nodded. "Yes, there is." She turned to look at her husband, smiling as usual. "My stomach wishes to be fed."

Lantis cocked an eyebrow. He knew that something as simple as her stomach would not bother her. It was something entirely different. But he also knew enough to leave her alone. She would tell him in due time, even if he would have to force it out of her.

Besides, he told himself with an inward sigh, she may not have much time left.

She was growing weaker seemingly by the minute. The children were approaching the third and final item, he knew. Soon, she would be with her friends in the infirmary. He could not bear to see her sick. Like Ferio, he would go mad.

"Don't frown so, Lantis. You know I don't like that."

The man blinked, unaware that he had slipped from reality for a second. Looking down at his wife, he offered her a small smile.

"Let us go feed your stomach," he said, holding out his arm for her. "Then we will go visit Umi and Fuu."

"Hai," Hikaru answered happily.


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


Neiven screamed at the dragon.

And the dragon screamed back.

All four children fell to the floor, hoping to avoid the blast of fire breath the dragon had spewed. Mokona cowered under Emera, shivering from fear. The girl was not much better, shaking like a leaf. But then, so were her friends.

What was once safe haven was now a danger zone. The gust of wind Neiven had felt while trying to change was apparently the warm breath of a sleeping dragon. And their chatter woke him up.

Well, at least Neiven thought it was a male, but it was difficult to be sure.

"Now look what you've done," she yelled at her brother.

Aarn looked up from the cover of his arms. "Me! You're the one that woke him up!"

"Save it for later," Zan told them. "We have to get out of here."

As if on cue, all four rose and started running. They paused only briefly at the entrance, then ran faster as another ball of flame headed towards them. None of them realized that the rain had stopped. Nor did they notice the dragon crawling from the cave after them.

A good distance away they stopped. Emera and Neiven were breathing hard, panting. Aarn was nearly out of breath as well. Zan breathed heavily but hardly showed any sign of weakness. He turned around, eyes wide.

"By the Master Mage," he muttered.

The others turned to look as well. Slithering from the cave, with red and gold scales, was the head of the dragon. Soon after, the body emerged. It seemed impossible that it would fit through the cave entrance since it stood nearly twice as tall and three times as wide. The ground shook as it began to move forward, its claws digging into the sand and rock. Lastly the tail emerged from the cave. It whipped around behind the beast in a steady rhythm.

"He's huge," Emera commented in awe.

"He's ugly," Neiven said in disgust.

"He's going to eat us," Aarn added, his voice tinged with fear.

The dragon stared at the children as it walked forward. His large yellow eyes danced from one to another and back again. His tongue slithered from his mouth, hissing at them as well as licking his lips. He flashed them a toothy grin, bearing his teeth for them to see.

Zan put his hand on the hilt of his sword. But he did not draw. He did not want to anger the creature anymore than they already had. So he waited for the right moment, when the dragon wanted to strike.

But the dragon was faster. He charged at them with a speed and agility one would not suspect from such a large creature. The four children immediately spilt up, running away as quickly as they could.

But the dragon's target had already been chosen.

"Emera! Look out!"

Emera turned to look as Zan called her name. She saw the beast running for her. She tried to run faster, but the dragon was moving too fast. Emera's hand rested on the hilt of her mother's sword, but she had no time to remove it from her belt. Frozen in place, the only thing she could do was raise her arms over her face as if to protect herself.

Eyes closed, Emera felt something snake around her, grabbing her, holding her tightly. In the next instant she felt weightless, her stomach dropping out from under her. Her mind tried to calculate a number of possibilities. Was she dying? Was she harmed in any way?

Slowly she managed to open her eyes. The first thing she noticed was that she was still alive. The second was that she was being held captive in the claw of a dragon. She could see her friends below, fighting to free her.

The last thing she noticed was that she was several hundred feet in the air.

"Emera!"

"Help!"

The girl struggled to free herself from the dragon's grasp. She knew it was futile, but a small part of her didn't care. There was always the possibility the dragon would let go. With that thought, she stopped struggling. If it let go now, she would fall several hundred feet to the ground. And there was no flying fish to catch her this time.

"Winds of...!"

"No," Zan screamed at Aarn. "If the dragon falls, he'll drag Emera with him."

"I suppose that means I can't use my key either," Neiven said with a frown. "Besides the rain's dried up and there's not enough water in the valley."

With a loud roar, the beast jumped into the air, wings beating furiously in the air as it took off. The ground suddenly seemed farther away as the dragon flew off towards the volcano.

"Emera!" Zan screamed one last time, watching helplessly as the dragon disappeared into the gray clouds overhead. But he did know where they were going.

Aarn clutched his chest, which ached from both the strain of running and the rush of adrenaline pumping through his body. His eyes followed the dragon as well. He grimaced as the heat from the valley pierced his previous burns, making them burn worse.

"Where do you think he's taking her?" Neiven asked. She was breathing heavily, tired and worn out.

"The only place he can take her," Zan stated, staring off into the distance. "Dragon Mountain."




~~TO BE CONTNIUED~~