Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Call of the Heart ❯ The Demon of Autozam ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
STUDIO X PRESENTS

MAGIC KNIGHT RAYEARTH:
CALL OF THE HEART

A Story by Miyu, Vampire Princess



Episode Eleven - The Demon of Autozam




The only sound that heralded the coming of the Master Mage was the clank of his metal staff against the hard floor of the castle. He moved slowly through the hallways -- more so than usual -- careful not to arouse the unsuspecting. His thoughts were as keenly focused as his eyes.

The time had come.

There was no turning back.

The small man stopped in mid-stride, sucking in a deep breath. He was very healthy for a man his age. Walking from one side of the castle to the other would be no problem for an ordinary man. But his body was still small, a curse he had come to accept ages ago. It needed some rest, even if he didn't.

He paused in the center of the hallway, slowly moving towards the wall on the left. He allowed his small frame to lean against the hard surface, drawing strength and comfort in its support. Meanwhile his eyes focused across the hallway.

The right wall was lined with windows, large mirrors with glistening blue glass. Cephiro still looked peaceful, Clef wondered. It amazed him how different the world outside and the world inside appeared to be.

Ever since the battle with the Pharuks, he had been haunted by terrible dreams. Another premonition of war? He certainly hoped not. Especially since the mashins had been put to sleep and the Knights had suddenly taken ill....

Mathis had not been studying under him at the time. He was brought to the castle months after the Pharuks' final assault. But since then Clef had felt a disturbance, unexplainable to the last. He had taken the young man under his wing without hesitation.

So why was he hesitating now?

If he were so inclined, Clef would say he were not hesitating but merely allowing his body to rest. Although that would be true enough, he still harbored doubts. Mathis had been a clumsy student at first. But now, after many years of training, the young man was clearly able to hold his own against the Master Mage. He had proven that in their training session just the day before.

Clef had been very surprised by Mathis that day. The young man had learned much and was putting his knowledge to use. Good or bad Clef could not discern. There was a lot of talent there, talent that Clef had feared would be wasted at first.

Now, he was certain.

A small burst of power caught his attention, drawing him from his thoughts. Clef turned his eyes from the windows and looked down the hallway. There was something moving within the shadows. It moved slowly with a lithe grace. At first Clef believed it to be a spirit, a figment of his imagination. But once it moved into the light, Clef pushed himself away from the wall, using his staff for support.

"Were you looking for me?"

Clef's eyes narrowed sharply. "I was."

Mathis smiled, stepping completely from the shadows to face the Master Mage. His short dark hair was tussled, his eyes showing signs from lack of sleep. But the smile on his face was just plain creepy. "I suppose you've finally figured it out."

"Not completely," Clef admitted with a frown. "But I will soon enough."

"Then let me help you," Mathis said, raising one hand into the air with the palm facing upward. His hand glowed an eerie red. The energy emmitting from his palm formed a small orb. The orb hardened to glass, pure and crystal clear. Using a bit of his own magic, Mathis pushed the ball from his hand to float towards the Master Mage.

Clef tried not to show the startled expression he knew was threatening to appear. He had thought Mathis would attack him directly. Perhaps the boy had more sense than he gave him credit for. Or perhaps his demise was not in the plan.

At any rate, the smaller magician stood his ground, watching the orb carefully as it approached. It stopped several feet from him, glowing again. This time it held a blue aura as a white mist swirled inside.

"What is this," Clef asked, his voice even.

"It is a story," Mathis said, his smile growing. "You want to know the truth, old wizard. Well, here it is...."


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


Emera blinked sleepily. Her head was tilted funny, causing it to hurt when she moved it. She tried to rearrange herself in her seat, but just couldn't get comfortable.

Wait a minute! Seat?!

Her eyes widened in shock, white light filling her vision. She panicked for a moment until the light began to fade. Her vision returned and she took in her new surroundings.

She was indeed sitting, but the chair was invisible. In fact, much of what she could sense around her was invisible. She reached out with a tentative hand, her fingertips glowing light red. Amazingly, they came into contact with something solid. There was a flicker of light, then a small computer-like panel appeared. She allowed one finger to touch it light, caressing the panel as if to feel what it were made of. The feel was soft, non-metallic. Yet, it looked like any other computer she'd seen before.

There were more flickers of light and several more screens popped up. Above her, beside her, in front of her, the screens appeared to be everywhere. She blinked, uncertain of what was happening. But when there appeared to be no threat, she relaxed herself.

"Whoa," she muttered in amazement, a small smile spreading across her lips. "What is this?"

The panels disappeared for the time being, allowing Emera to see the outside world through her invisible bubble. There seemed to be nothing there but earth and rock. The walls on both sides were made from hardened lava. The ceiling was only inches above her head, small stalactites pointing downward.

And in front of her...in front of her was the most welcome sight she'd seen in a while.

"Zan! Neiven! Aarn!"




"Is this really Rayearth?"

"Pu puuu...."

"It's not quite what I had imagined it to be."

"That's because you don't have much of an imagination, brother."

"Zan! Neiven! Aarn!"

Zan jumped as the beast began to speak. One hand on his sword and crouched low to the ground, he waited to hear the demands of the monster. How did it know their names?

Aarn did the same thing he took two steps backward, drawing his sword. He held the hilt in both hands, straight out in front of him. The tip of the sword gleamed in the dim light. The boy watched carefully as the beast spoke.

But it was Neiven who truly understood.

"Emera?" she asked with a smile. She took a step closer to the metallic monster, Mokona following at her heels. "Is that you?"

"Yup."

Zan and Aarn both breathed a sigh of relief. It was Emera. They'd found her. Finally. They stood down their arms, Zan standing and Aarn replacing his sword in its sheath.

"What are you doing in...that?" Zan asked, still uncertain if the metallic creature before them was really the machine of legend.

"I had this really strange dream...then I ended up here," the girl replied, her voice echoing in the cavern. So loudly that tiny bits of rock began to fall from above. She moved to cover her mouth with one hand, the machine doing as she did. The movement caused more rock to fall.

Zan, Aarn, Neiven and Mokona had to back away from the machine, avoiding several stray stones as they fell to the floor. They gasped, some crying out as the ceiling appeared to be caving in around them.

"Sorry," Emera said from inside Rayearth. She tried to calm herself down so as not to agitate the Rune God. She let her arms rest by her sides, and calmed her breathing. "I'm still a bit unsure as to how this works."

"You'll get used to it," Neiven assured.

"With a little practice you'll be a pro," Aarn added with a lopsided grin. "Gosh, I still can't believe it. We've found all three Rune Gods."

"And their items," Zan stated with a nod. That was the most important. Without the items, they would not be able to help Clef find a cure for the Magic Knights.

"Puu pu! Puu pu!" Mokona called, happily bouncing around the cavern like a rubber ball. He bounced over towards Rayearth, the creature's eyes lighting up only briefly in acknowledgement.

"I think he wants you to come down," Neiven told Emera.

"Give me a second," she replied, looking around the cockpit area. She could see the outside clearly. But there was no door, no eject button. How did she get down?

The window around Emera went blank, turning black. The girl was frightened at first, yet willed herself to be calm. She closed her eyes, could feel herself becoming weightless, falling. She landed on something solid with a thud and groan. When her eyes opened, she was sitting on the ground, a good hundred feet away from the Rune God.

"Pu puu!"

Mokona bounced over to Emera, leaping into her lap happily. The girl lost her balance and started to fall backward, catching Mokona as she went. She held the creature at arms' length, smiling up at him.

"I'm so glad you're okay," she told the creature.

"Hey, what about the rest of us?"

Emera tilted her head to the right to see Aarn, Zan and Neiven standing only a few feet away. They looked as relieved as she did...not to mention worn out. Just what had they run into in the valley while she was away?

Aarn, with his lopsided grin, offered Emera hand to stand up. She accepted, holding Mokona in her other arm as she reached up to grab Aarn's hand. The young man hauled her to her feet, or close to. She began to lose her footing and started to stumble backward. But Zan was there, grabbing her other elbow and helping her to regain her footing.

"Do you have it?" Zan asked curiously.

Emera blinked, then smiled. "Yes."

Once standing, she reached into a pouch on her belt. She didn't remember it being there before, or how she even knew to look there. Instinct, perhaps? But when she pulled her hand out of the pouch, she held a brilliant yellow-gold crystal. It was shaped like a small orb, nothing at all like Aarn's or Neiven's items. Yet one could tell, just be looking at it, that it was indeed the third key.

"Cool," Aarn said, leaning over to get a better look.

"Mine's prettier," Neiven muttered, but even she was enthralled by the little globe.

"Now that we have all three items, we must return to the castle," Zan stated. "And quickly."

"No argument there," Emera said. Ever since she'd spoken with Rayearth, she'd felt...better. Not only with herself, but also with her feelings for her mother as well. Now she couldn't figure out why she had ever doubted the woman, or herself. "Perhaps we should contact Clef and let him know we've gotten the last key."

"We can do that once we're outside the valley," Zan replied. "The castle shouldn't be but two days travel from here."

"It feels like we've traveled a lot further than that," Aarn said, running the back of his hand across his forehead. He sighed, searching for the entrance where they had come in. "But what's two more days?"

"Plenty if we don't get these items back to Master Mage Clef," Emera said grimly. "My mother's life depends on it."

"And mine," Zan said. His voice was both sad and angry.

"Then what are we standing around here for?" Neiven asked. She grabbed Zan's arm and pulled him away from Emera and Aarn, towards the nearest exit. "Let's get going!"

Zan merely sighed to himself, allowing her to pull him along. He'd wanted to shout at her, but knew it would do no good. Besides, she had a point. There was no time to waste.

"But what about that dragon?" Aarn asked as he jogged to catch up with them. He glanced over his right shoulder where Emera was trailing him. "The one that brought you to the mountain."

"I don't think we'll have to worry about him, or any other dragon until we leave the valley," Emera assured him with a pat on his shoulder. "What's important now is that we hurry back to the castle." She looked ahead to Neiven and Zan and nodded. "Right?"

"Right," all three answered in unison.

"Pu puu pu!" Mokona added.


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


"My cousin's death stunned the entire nation of Autozam. It also set in motion a chain of events, which are crucial to my being here. I did not...as you believe...come here in good faith or on my own terms.

"I was only four years old when my cousin died. I didn't know the meaning of death, so it meant very little to me. But my parents...it only got worse for them.

"When the news of Eagle's death reached the homeworld, life on Autozam had simply...come to a halt. But the morning period did not last very long. The people, realizing their freedom, began to rise up. The royal family was forced out of their homes. The palace was burned to the ground...." Mathis paused, spitting on the ground in disgust. "My mother along with it."

Clef shuddered. He knew that Autozam had gone through a rough period after Eagle's death, but he did not know the extent. The scenes of suffering and carnage he'd seen in the orb caused him to close his eyes briefly. He could almost smell the stench of the dead. How horrid.

If what Mathis said was true, then the smaller wizard did pity the younger man. Losing a mother was something a child should never have to endure. And Clef had seen too many children without parents since the fall of the pillar system in Cephiro.

"But the royals regained control," Clef stated, recomposing himself.

Mathis snarled at the interruption. His young features distorted into something older, more hideous. He waved a hand in the air in dismissal of the smaller magician, caught up in his own storytelling.

"Yes," he admitted. "We regained control. But by then we had already lost the palace. Half of the capitol was already in flames. When the smoke cleared and the dust settled, most of Autozam wasn't worth salvaging.

"Oh, they tried," he assured Clef. The Master Mage looked at him incredulously, scenes of the construction and the burying of the dead appearing inside the orb. "Many of the cities were rebuilt, but the revolution that was short-lived had already taken much from the people, and the planet. We had barely recovered when the Pharuks came to us for a trade treaty. We heartily agreed."

During his story, Mathis had backed away from Clef and began pacing in front of him. The smaller man was still pinned to the wall however. He would have to be quick to move past Mathis. But he was compelled to stay. He wanted to hear the reasoning behind the madness, for he couldn't comprehend it just yet. Sighing, Clef showed some signs of relaxing, but he remained weary of Mathis' next move.

"A council was born, comprised mostly of royal and few high ranking nobles from the larger cities," the younger magician continued. "Unanimously they decided that a new heir had to be made. Not found...but MADE. The new heir to Autozam's thrown would be the one who could bring the pillar system back from Cephiro. That's what my father had told me. Over and over he'd pound those words into my head." Mathis cackled insanely for a moment before composing himself.

"One year after that decree, I begun to practice magic. It was my father's idea really, that I learn magic. He believed it would be the easiest way to get me into Cephiro. He wanted me to be the next heir, you see. Greedy bastard, but I can't condemn him for wanting what's best for me, right?

"You, my dear teacher, were contacted when my father was certain I could pass off as a magician. Besides, I'm sure he thought that having a wizard rule Autozam would be an asset. I've learned my lessons well, don't you think?"

Clef eyed Mathis cautiously. The young man was drawing closer and he was even more hysterical than before. But there was one question that remained unanswered.

"Why the Knights?" Clef asked. His voice was neutral although his heart was pounded harshly inside his chest. He didn't even realize he was holding his breath until Mathis answered.

"To get them out of the way of course," Mathis admitted with a devious grin. He stepped net to the orb and bent over to look Clef in the eye. "It was so easy, too. They were weak after the mashins had gone into hiding. Oh yes, I knew that the mashins were not truly gone, just...sleeping. But they were useless, giving their remaining energy so that the Knights could survive the Pharuks final attack."

Mathis sniffed as if about to cry, but no tears came to his eyes. His smile grew wider instead. "It was very tragic, I must admit. And they're good girls, those Knights. Even I admire their skill. But I couldn't let a little thing like that stop me now could I?"

Clef sighed, closing his eyes. The pieces were starting to fit together. There were still pieces missing, like how Emera had been called to Cephiro in the first place, but perhaps the answer to that would reveal itself in time as well.

"So you used the Knights' weakness against them," Clef stated, reopening his eyes and glaring at Mathis. He lifted his chin a bit haughtily. "Their bodies had been repaired, but you did something, didn't you?"

"It started with a few drops of acetine in their drinks. You know, the one they were to take with the pills you had prescribed for them," Mathis replied.

"Acetine is poisonous!" Clef nearly shouted, eyes wide.

"Not when given in small amounts, or at least that's what my father told me," Mathis answered, shaking his head. "He gave me a vile to use during my first year here. He had hoped that that was all I needed." His smile faded. "But those damn women refused to be put down. And you!"

Clef stepped backward, his back meeting the hardness of the wall once again. Mathis had stepped closer this time, his face only inches from Clef's. He jabbed his finger roughly into the smaller magician's stomach. Clef winced only once at the sudden sharpness of pain. Mathis and energized his finger before poking him, causing a burning sensation.

"You had to try and save them, didn't you? Well, you could've done that anyway, if I wouldn't have been forced to continue with my father's plan. But even I pleaded to him. Telling him that the pillar system is gone. That it wasn't anywhere in Cephiro any longer.

"But then I realized something." Mathis stepped back, standing and pacing the room once again. Clef breathed a sigh of relief. "The pillar system may not have physically existed, but it still did exist."

"Not possible," Clef answered with a shake of his head. "The pillar system of Cephiro is gone, destroyed."

"No, it is where it has always been," Mathis stated, unable to be swayed. He stopped behind he orb, placing a tentative hand over it. A cloud of mist swirled within it, a picture forming only in the young man's mind.

"Impossible," was all Clef could answer. There was something inside him that told him that Mathis could be right. Was the pillar system still alive? But that debate would have to take place later. Whether it was true or not, the Magic Knights had to be saved.

"You must be stopped," Clef declared loudly, rushing Mathis.

Mathis lifted a hand away from the orb. With his palm open and his fingers spread, he shot a blast of energy from his body towards the Master Mage. One after another he fired until the small wizard collapsed to one knee, his shield failed.

Clef clutched at his staff, hoping to steady himself. He raised a hand in his defense once again, but he was not quick enough. The spell was only half completed before Mathis' attack struck. The wizard fell to one knee, gasping for air.

"Now do you see," Mathis shouted across the hallway to Master Mage. "I will take the pillar system. And at the same time, I will exact my vengeance on you...and the Magic Knights!"


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


The sun was just beginning to set beneath the horizon when Zan, Neiven, Emera and Aarn left the valley. What a relief it was to feel the cool evening air on their skin. The sky was turning a darker shade of blue, much prettier than the violet and red of the valley. It was the end of yet another day.

And nearly the end of their journey.

All they needed to do now was get home.

"I think we should camp here for the night," Neiven said. The girl had been clinging to Zan's arm since they left the mountain. But she was hanging on to him now for support. Her legs were straining with the effort of walking, muscles arguing with each step.

Aarn was also showing signs of tiring, although he would not admit it. The burns he had received while in the valley, though healing, were bothering him. Plus with all the walking and climbing they'd done earlier that day to find Emera, his energy was running low. His steps slowed, forcing him to trail the rest of the group.

It seemed that only Zan and Emera had the abundance of energy needed to travel. Of course, they were the ones with the most to gain, or lose, by making it back to Cephiro Castle. Emera now lead the group, Mokona bouncing beside her down the trail, as Zan helped a weary Neiven.

"For once, I must agree with my sister," Aarn spoke up. He huffed as he walked, trying to hurry his pace to keep up with the others.

"It's only another hour to town," Emera said, turning to face the others. She'd been caught up in her own thoughts since leaving the valley. Now that she had come to terms with how she felt about her mother's disappearance, she was doubly determined to make it back to the castle to save her. The next town wasn't far away. From there, it would only be a day's journey back to the castle.

But, she realized upon seeing her friends, perhaps her mother would have to wait a little while longer. The brother and sister looked very much tired. Neiven would probably fall asleep - albeit very happily - in Zan's arms. He was practically carrying her already. And Aarn looked about ready to collapse.

"But maybe you're right," she added a little sadly.

"No, no," Neiven said, one of her arms waving wildly in the air, motioning ahead on the trail. "Let's go to Revellee. I know I'm tired, but I'm not sleeping in another forest. I want a comfortable bed and a warm bath."

"Pu pu puu pu," Mokona said.

Neiven sighed, her head tilting to rest on Zan's shoulder. "What did he say?"

Emera opened her arms wide and Mokona bounced into her embrace. "He said he could make us another hut like he did before."

Neiven's eyes fluttered closed and she smiled slightly. "That would be lovely, Mokona." With that, her legs gave way and she began to fall.

Zan, surprised, had to wrap both arms around the girl to keep her from falling to the ground. She had been so weary that she'd fallen asleep right then and there. Aarn rushed up to help the young boy with his sister, grabbing one of her arms and throwing it over his shoulders as well.

Zan badly wanted to make it to Revellee. Emera was right. It wasn't all that far. And they would be a lot closer to home. Home, he thought. He'd always thought of ways to get away from the castle. Though now, the word sounded so good to him.

"Can you help me carry her," Zan asked Aarn. He knew the other boy was tired as well. There was no point in pushing on if they were going to lose two of the group to sleep. He looked at Aarn insistently for an answer.

The other boy nodded. He wasn't tired enough to give in to drowsiness. Moving his sisters arm tighter around his shoulder he replied, "It's only a little further, right. I think I can make it."

"I'm not sure it's such a good idea," Emera said, still uncertain about what she wanted to do. Sleep sounded very nice. But she did want to get home. Home? Yes, like it or not, Cephiro had become her home. When this was over, would she even want to return to Tokyo?

"We can handle it," Aarn assured her with a lopsided grin. He nodded again to Zan. "Ready?"

"Are you all right?" Zan asked Emera. The girl obviously felt as he did, but she also was beginning to wear out.

"Pu puu?" Mokona asked as well.

"I'll be fine," she said with a bright smile, hugging Mokona to her tightly. Town wasn't much further, and it was still early in the evening. "Let's go."


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


Clef huffed a few more times. Clutching his staff for support, he rose to his feet. He hadn't felt this weak since his battle with Zagato. But then he had not been weak, simply useless. Now though, he was pushing his limits. It was a few moments before he was ready to fight again. This had been going on for too long. It was a waste of time. He glared at Mathis angrily.

"I will stop you," Clef said between gasps. "And if I cannot stop you, then the children will."

Mathis laughed openly, the sound echoing through the castle halls and out into the garden. It was evil, to be certain, and Clef winced.

"You think those kids are going to stop me," he said, still laughing. "Even with all three keys, those kids cannot defeat me! For I...I am all powerful!"

The laughter faded, the smile on his face growing wider. The orb in his hands began to glow again. The light from the orb was blinding, pouring out through the windows and coursing down the hallways.

Using his powers, Mathis summoned a demon. A cold creature that was as big as a mountain and stronger than three armies...no, four! It's skin gleamed in the dimming sunlight, showing it's sleek form and musculature.

"This is Autozam's mashin...its demon." Mathis smiled wickedly, his expression highlighted by the glow of the orb. He inched closer to Clef, looming over the smaller man maliciously. "This is what all my hard work and training have led to. Cephiro will suffer as Autozam suffered!"

"You're wrong," Clef said. He did not move although he fixed a glare on his young pupil. "The people here worked hard for their way of life these many years. Life on Cephiro is no easier than life any where else."

"Then why did Eagle seek out the pillar system, if not to rule Autozam," Mathis asked, not really expecting an answer. The young man was beyond sanity now, his growing powers taking over his mind. "You were afraid he'd conquer Cephiro, you killed him!"

"Eagel's death was at the hands of the pillar system," Clef stated angrily, his voice rising to a deep baritone as he shouted. "He gave his life! It was not taken! You're people have suffered because of their own faults, not others."

"Liar!" Mathis was screaming now. Every word, every laugh, echoed through the halls of Cephiro castle. "Cephiro has oppressed us long enough."

There was a bright flash of light. Clef used one hand to cover his eyes, still trying to remain focused on Mathis. The young man was laughing hysterically. One look at the orb told the Master Mage the reason why.

The new mashin...the Demon of Autozam...began to move. It moved from the forest where it had materialized and into a plain. Clef immediately recognized the area. It was just south of the castle, moving down the hills.

And straight to the nearest town.

Revellee.

"You must stop," Clef said. He stepped closer to Mathis, reaching out to him with his free hand. But the younger man stepped closer to him, almost pouncing on the small wizard. Clef stumbled backwards, caught off guard by Mathis' sudden move. The other man had backed the smaller magician into the wall.

Before he could react, Clef was surrounded by a yellowish glow. Lines of energy formed both up and down and side to side. They encompassed the smaller magician, closing in on him as he struggled to free himself. Clef knew that he was caught, if only temporarily.

"Now watch," Mathis told Clef coldly. He held the glowing babble in front of Clef's face, daring him to close his eyes to the glare. When Clef did not, he smiled. "Watch and learn how weak your mashins...your 'children'...truly are."




Zan, Neiven, Emera and Aarn made it to the next town with little incident. The innkeeper greeted them happily as they entered. After counting what was left of their money, Zan secured two rooms. Aarn and Emera helped a sleeping Neiven up to the girls' room, while Zan paid the innkeeper. Mokona bounced after them up the stairs.

Once he was certain his sister was safely in bed, Aarn took off for the boys' room, just across the hallway. With a tired smile, he bid Emera good night. She replied in kind, closing the door behind him. She turned, staring at nothing in particular in the dimly lit room.

Neiven had awoken when they reached the top of the stairs. She simply looked around, allowing Emera and Aarn to hoist her into one of the beds in the girls' room. She had fallen back to sleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

Mokona had already claimed a pillow on the remaining bed. Emera smiled at the small creature. She was certain he was already asleep as well.

Quietly, she reopened the door and stepped backwards out of the room. She closed the door quietly, the latch catching with a soft click. Sighing, she turned, taking a step down the hallway.

"Can't sleep?"

Emera jumped, placing a hand over her mouth to stifle a scream. She whirled around, her heart racing. Zan was leaving the boys' room as quietly as she had left the girls'. Aarn must've fallen fast asleep like his sister.

'I hate it when he does that,' she thought, calming herself. After a few deep breaths she answered truthfully, "Not really. You?"

Zan shook his head. "I want to get back to the castle. I'm too anxious to sleep." He turned to face Emera, standing directly across from her. He felt awkward standing so close to the girl, especially since they were alone. He had hoped to spend some time on his own.

Emera clasped her hands behind her back, fidgeting with her fingers. She felt awkward as well. She'd always felt awkward around Zan. But, there was something different to him now. He didn't seem as cold as before. Still, she had no idea what to expect.

"Well, I was going to have a cup of tea downstairs," she said. She almost invited him to go with her when she remembered that she had wanted to be alone. She offered him a small smile, then quickly turned to walk down the hallway. "I'll see you in the morning."

"I'll...I'll join you," Zan replied.

Emera had taken three steps then stopped. When she looked up Zan was standing beside her. Was it her imagination or had he grown taller? She sighed, giving him a shrug.

"Sure, why not?"

"If you'd rather be alone...." Zan said quietly.

Emera shook her head. "No...not really. I just...." She really wasn't sure what to say. She sighed again, continuing to walk down the hallway. "Well, let's go."

Zan blinked, obviously confused. Was it just women that were this confusing, he wondered. But he didn't argue and followed her down the stairs. He was still amazed and boggled by the girl. Something in that cave changed her. She wasn't the frightened little girl he remembered meeting in the woods. Not anymore. She...grew up.

The innkeeper allowed them access to the kitchen. It was already late and the cook had gone home for the evening. Quite expertly, Emera boiled some water while Zan watched from the tiny kitchen table in the center of the room.

"Do you think our mothers are all right?"

Zan looked up, curious as to where that question had come from. "I'm not sure. That's why I want to get back to the castle as quickly as possible."

Emera nodded, her back to the boy. She said nothing else as the water began to boil. She grabbed the tea bags that the innkeeper had taken down for them, setting them closer as she removed the boiling water from the stovetop.

"Do you think its odd," Emera said, her back still turned. "That we haven't heard from Master Mage Clef, I mean?"

Zan only nodded. "I'm sure he's aware of the situation. He's probably trying to help our mothers as we speak."

Emera sighed. "Still, I wish he'd call us and tell us what to do with the keys."

She poured a cup of hot water for herself, watching as the tea leaves swirled in the cup. She began to pour water into the second cup when she saw something baffling in the first. Ripples of water, very tiny ripples of water, moved outward from the center of the cup. She watched this very closely, the ripples fading and then growing larger when they appeared again.

"Zan?"

But the young man didn't answer. He'd grown very still, as if feeling the disturbance from where he was sitting. Vibrations shook the floor, slightly at first. Zan stood quickly as the vibrations grew, shaking the entire room. His hands clutched the table as he tried to assess what was happening.

"An earthquake," he nearly screamed. It seemed impossible. There were hardly any earthquakes in Cephiro.

Emera sat the pot of hot water back on the stove, only to have to jump backward to avoid it when it fell to the floor. Her nerves were jumping wildly inside her and her hands were shaking. She'd never been through an earthquake before. But something...something inside her told her that this was no ordinary earthquake.

"I don't think so," she yelled in reply to Zan.

The young man moved across the room quickly, the vibrations continuing to grow. He stumbled twice, catching himself just before falling. He nearly fell onto Emera as he made it to her, both of them clutching at the counter for support.

"What?" he asked.

"This is no ordinary earthquake," she told him.

"How can you tell?"

Emera shrugged. "I just...feel it."

Zan looked her over closely. Had she hit her head or something? He tried to examine her when a bright glow caught his attention. Emera's pocket was glowing. No, no, it wasn't that. The key, Rayearth's key, was glowing.

"We need to get to Neiven and Aarn," he told her, wrapping one arm around her shoulders and pulling her with him towards the doorway.

But they didn't make it any further, bumping into the innkeeper. The old man look frightened, like he'd seen a ghost. His jaw shook like the rest of him as he tried to speak.

"It's a d-d-emon-n. A demon!" he told them, pushing his way past them and making his way further into the darkened hallway. Emera reached out to stop him, but Zan continued to pull her along.

"Zan! Look!"

They both stopped in front of a window. The lights outside had turned off, probably from the quake. They could hear screaming as villagers ran screaming from their homes in search of shelter. Zan couldn't figure out what Emera had seen that made her stop.

Then he did.

In the light of the two full moons stood a figure. It was tall, large and muscular. Too tall to be human and too shiny to be an animal. At first he thought it was the dragon that had taken Emera away back in the valley. But then his mind reminded him that that was very unlikely. The dragon that had carried Emera off had actually been Rayearth.

And this was not Rayearth.

"What is it?" Emera whispered in awe.

"Whatever it is," Zan replied seriously. His eyes narrowed, attempting to get a better look in the darkness as the monster approached. It wasn't far from town now. It would certainly start trampling buildings...and people...any minute. "We have to stop it."




~~TO BE CONTINUED~~