Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Call of the Heart ❯ Tomorrow's Fantasy ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
STUDIO X PRESENTS

MAGIC KNIGHT RAYEARTH:
CALL OF THE HEART

A Story by Miyu, Vampire Princess



Episode Thirteen - Tomorrow's Fantasy




The sun shown on Cephiro Castle as if a whole new world had been born. Nature sung outside as color was once again brought upon the world from night. The air around the castle had lifted and everything seemed to be put to rights.

The Magic Knights awoke the day after the Demon of Autozam had been defeated. Ferio and Lantis had seen their children safely home to be welcomed by those that loved them most. The town was singing the praises of three courageous young heroes and the resurrected hope of the Rune Gods. It wasn't long before all of Cephiro was singing with them.

If they weren't busy with their studies, Zan, Neiven and Aarn were with their parents. Aarn and Neiven didn't have the work that Zan had taken on for himself, so they were able to spend more time with Emera as well.

Zan seemed to be content practicing his sword technique with his father and listening to his mother's stories over meals. Hikaru was pleasantly surprised when he asked about Tokyo and what it was like.

When he wasn't studying or working, he was often alone in the garden, barely managing to avoid Emera. He was only trying to in part. Avoid her that is. Ever since their return, he couldn't get her out of his head. And he knew that the inevitable would happen all too soon.

Emera spent the bulk of her time with her mother and father. Ferio's duties had increased with the suppression of the threat. He was traveling a little more to towns and villages close to the castle. Fuu and Emera would either attend with him, or spend time together in the castle with Hikaru and Umi. For two days it seemed like a dream, and to Emera, a dream that she didn't want to end.

It was that third morning that had Emera Hououji most unnerved. Clef had called her into his private study. There was no explanation, but Emera went willingly, curious as to what the Master Mage had to say.

He was just finishing up a lesson with Zan when she opened the door. The young man had his nose buried deep in a large text. Several objects floated above his head, trying to break his concentration. It was not broken, however, until Emera made her presence known.

"Good morning."

The object floating around Zan suddenly stopped. As the boy started, they fell to the ground one by one. With lightning speed he was able to catch two of the five object to keep them from breaking. He sighed heavily, sitting the objects on the desk in front of him and slammed the book shut.

Light laughter rose from the back of the room. Hidden from view by a small set of shelves, save for his staff, Master Mage Clef made his way towards Zan's desk. He cleaned up the mess left behind by his student, who immediately bowed his head in shame.

"It's always her fault," Zan muttered to himself, shaking his head.

Emera, noticing the exchange, covered her mouth with her hands. She'd managed to distract him once again. At least this time he wasn't in any danger of getting cut apart by a sword. She tried to stifle a giggle at the sight of him, embarrassed and mortified, but failed.

"I'm sorry," she said aloud, her laughter still evident in her voice. It was the most she'd spoken to Zan since they arrived home two days ago. He'd been so caught up in his studies and Emera with her mother, that they just didn't have the time to interact.

Of course, Neiven and Aarn had MADE the time....

"Don't be sorry, Emera," Clef said, smiling himself. He patted his young student on the shoulder. "What is it your father always says, Zan?"

Zan quoted his father effortlessly, his head still bowed and eyes on the ground. "'There will always be distractions and interruptions.'"

"You did well today, Zan. Go get cleaned up before your mother calls you for lunch."

Zan sighed, standing from his seat. He bowed politely. "Yes, Master Mage."

Emera watched him intently as he turned towards her and headed for the door. She was half afraid he'd scold her for interrupting him. Instead he flashed her a smile that belied the seriousness in his eyes. It was look common for evil villains vowing to take revenge. The look softened only a little as he opened the door and left the room.

"Come in, come in," Clef told the girl, turning away from the desk. With a sweep of his wand a magical chair formed, much like the one he'd offered her before. When he was certain she was comfortable, he began, "I believe I've finally come up with the answers to some questions I'd been pondering."

Emera looked at him with obvious curiosity. "Like what?"

"Well, for starters, your mother's illness." Emera suddenly looked stricken but calmed when Clef raised his hand. "Don't worry, it will not happen again. The source of the problem has been...removed."

"You mean, Mathis?" Emera questioned. She didn't know the full story, but Caldina had told her that Mathis had been sent back to Autozam. Apparently he'd learned all that Clef was willing to teach him.

Clef nodded. "And secondly, I've found out how it is you came to be here."

Emera leaned forward in the chair, listening intently. "How? Was I summoned like my mother was?"

"Yes, something like that," Clef replied. "Apparently your mother and aunts were thinking of you often. I don't think a day went by without a mention of your name in some conversation or other." He smiled. "At any rate, I believe it was through THEIR will power that you came to be here."

"Then...that does that mean...I'm stuck here?" she asked tentatively.

Clef chuckled. "No, no. You're not stuck here, Emera. I can send you home, with the help of the Magic Knights. Most importantly, YOU must have the will to return to Tokyo."

"Do I have to decide?" The question was asked before she could even process it herself. She bowed her head in embarrassment. "I'm sorry, that's a silly question. I...I know I have to choose."

"Don't think of it so much as choosing," Clef told her. He stepped closer, placing a hand on her knee. "It is a decision like any other. Only you can decide your future, Emera. Only you can decide."

"And my mother? What about her? Can she return home?"

Clef sighed. "I'll need her help, along with Umi and Hikaru to send you home...if, that is what you desire."

It was then that the door swung open again. Both of the room's occupants looked up upon Umi's entrance. She seemed surprised to see Emera in Clef's study, but said nothing of it.

"Lunch is almost ready," she told them with a smile.


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


After dinner, Emera sat in the garden near the spot where she and her parents had eaten lunch the day before. It had quickly become a favorite spot of hers. Encased by hanging vines, it served as the perfect hide-a-way. The view of the castle was stunning from that angle and the sound of the fountain nearby helped her to relax.

And right now she needed to think. The conversation with Clef earlier in the day did nothing to help settle her nerves. She knew the time would come when she'd have to go back to Tokyo. Her aunt was probably worried sick about her by now. Not to mention her classmates.

But Clef had told her she was welcome to stay. Her mother was there. And her father. She had made new friends in Neiven, Aarn and Zan. They had been through so much together and yet there was still so much she didn't know about them. She wanted to stay and get to know them better. Besides, Caldina had promised to teach her some magic. Why not stay in Cephiro?

It also occurred to her that she could try to talk her mother and aunts into returning with her. But Clef said it would require their help. They were the ones that called her there in the first place. Was it possible for them to return home with her?

Did they even want to?

Her mother and her father were very close. If Ferio couldn't set foot in Tokyo, Emera was certain her mother would not go back. He was her lifeline now. And who knew? Maybe if her mother stayed in Cephiro, she could end up a big sister...?

Hikaru had a son to consider, and a husband. Emera couldn't ask her aunt to leave them in favor of her. Not even for her brothers or Hikari. It nearly broke her heart, but it was true.

Umi didn't have any attachments, at least not as far as she'd seen. But she was happy in Cephiro. Was it right to ask her to give up her happiness to come back home?

'What am I going to do?'

"Emera?"

Jerking her head up in surprise, she saw Zan standing only a few feet away. He looked only a little different than before. Then she realized that he wasn't wearing his knightly get-up. Instead he was dressed comfortably in a pair of loose-fitting pants and matching top, both black as the impending night with flecks of red and gold embroidered onto the cloth. He looked like a handsome prince to Emera, and she shook her head to clear that thought.

"It's getting dark out. And cold. You really should go inside before--"

"I'm fine, Zan, really. I just...." She sighed, bowing her head. "I still need some time to think."

"About your talk with Clef?"

She nodded. Then she started. "How did you--?"

"I listened in," he admitted, a small blush forming on his cheeks.

Emera blushed as well. She bit her bottom lip, averting her eyes to the ground. Her thoughts returned to their previous track. "I see."

He seemed to be reading her mind. "What are you going to do?"

The girl sighed, shaking her head. "I don't know."

Moving closer, he sat opposite her on the ground. "You don't belong here you know."

Well, that was a fine thing to say! "I know that," Emera said, a bit angry.

"No, no. I didn't mean it in such a bad way." Zan shook his head, unsure of how to explain himself. "I just meant that...well...don't you have any OTHER family waiting for you in...in Tokyo?"

Blinking, Emera nodded. Her aunt was back there. Her grandparents. Hikaru's brothers. Hikari. Yurika and her classmates. They were all waiting for her in Tokyo.

"Yeah," she answered, her eyes misty with unshed tears. "I do."

He smiled at her sadly. "Do you miss them?"

Emera only nodded.

"Do you think they miss you?"

Tears started falling down her cheeks. She looked at him incredulously. "Of course!"

Zan reached forward, catching several of her tears with a finger and wiping them away. "Then you should go home. To Tokyo."

"Why--?" The question came forth before she could even think the word. Why? Did he not want her to stay? Was that it?

His smile tried to be reassuring. "It's for the best."

"But...Zan, I--"

She didn't have a chance to finish her sentence. Before she could blink, Zan had pulled away. There was a spark in his eye, something dancing there just beneath the surface. He didn't want her to leave. In fact, he very much wanted her to stay. But he was afraid she'd be unhappy if she stayed too long. What of her friends and family in Tokyo? No, having her leave was for the best. For both of them.

Emera tried to figure it out as he turned and walked away.

What was--? Did he--? His eyes--! A jumble of thoughts went through her head. She could've sworn she'd seen the sad, heart-wrenching look in his eyes, seen past that pleasant and reassuring smile. She watched him, blinking furiously as more tears threatened to fall. Reaching a hand out, she tried to stop him before he faded into the evening shadows.

"I don't want to leave," she whispered to the shadows where he'd disappeared. "I don't want to leave you, Zan."


**M*K*R** **M*K*R** **M*K*R**


The next morning was much brighter than the one before. Emera awoke at the crack of dawn, bathed and dressed in another of Caldina's proffered outfits then headed down to the main hall. She was surprised to see that Zan and his father were already awake and practicing their swordsmanship.

Knowing that she should hurry to Clef's study, she paused momentarily to watch.

The bout between these two men was much different from the match she'd seen between Zan and Aarn. It was much more intense. They were both so focused, concentrating on the other's movements. It almost looked like a choreographed dance for a play.

Transfixed by their movements, all Emera could think about were Zan's words to her the night before. 'It was for the best,' he'd told her. 'You should go back to Tokyo.' She was still hurt and confused by his words, but she knew he also spoke a partial truth.

And her decision had been made.

Both men caught movement out of the corner of their eyes, but it was Zan who was distracted. Again. Lantis used this to his advantage, forcing his son to disarm and kneel with a swordpoint directly at his throat.

Emera felt a twinge of guilt, continuing her journey down the hallway. The boy looked more ashamed now then he did in Clef's study just days ago. Part of her felt badly for being such a distraction. But another part of her was very glad for it.

The door to Clef's study opened before Emera reached it. She paused outside, waiting to see if Clef was leaving. When he didn't exit, she peeked around the corner cautiously. The room looked the same as it had yesterday morning, minus the mess Zan had made.

"Good morning, Emera."

The girls started, nearly jumping as she whirled around to see the Master Mage standing behind her.

"Ah, good morning, Master Clef," she stuttered politely.

"I take it you have made a decision," he said, walking past the shocked young girl and into his study.

"Yes," she said, more confidently than her previous statement. She followed him into the study. "Yes, I have."




That evening saw one of the largest gathering at the castle. Clef stood in the center of the Great Hall with Hikaru, Umi and Fuu. Ferio and Lantis stood to the side, along with Lafarga, Caldina, Neiven and Aarn. Many others from the castle had poured in, forming a circle around the Master Mage and the Magic Knights.

Emera Hououji was going back to Tokyo.

Emera smiled sadly as each of her aunts hugged her. 'It's not for the last time,' she had to keep telling herself. 'Clef said that they could summon me at any time. Even *I* could bring myself to Cephiro if my will was strong enough.'

When she was finished her good-byes with her aunts, she moved into the crowd, hugging Caldina and Neiven, and receiving a kiss on the hand from Aarn. She flushed prettily, looking for the one person who seemed to be missing.

Zan.

He stood by himself, separate from the congregation. Leaning against the wall with his eyes closed, he appeared to be sleeping. Emera approached him cautiously. She had not spoken to him all day, afraid of hat else he might say. Afraid he might change her mind.

He opened his eyes when she was only a few feet away. "You really leaving?" he asked.

She nodded. "It's for the best right?"

"Yes," he said with a sigh. "It is."

"I'll...I'll miss you," she muttered, bowing her head. She sighed when she felt soft lips pressed to her forehead. Her body jumped as it felt strong arms wrapping around her, felt herself crushed to what felt like a brick wall. Was Zan hugging her?

"We will see each other again," he whispered in her ear. "Believe in me."

Emera smiled, nodding at his declaration.

"Emera," Clef called to her from the circle of onlookers. "It's time."

She left Zan standing by the wall, hurrying over to her parents. She hugged her father tightly, wishing that she could bring him with her to Tokyo. But his duty was to Cephiro and its people. Very important work, she assured herself.

Next was her mother. Fuu enveloped her in a tight, warm embrace. Tears stung at her eyes as she hugged her daughter, felt her daughter's tears on her shoulder before they parted. She wished she could go back with her. Wanted to see her finish growing up. But her life was in Cephiro now, with Ferio. Perhaps her husband would not be against having another child now that he's met his daughter.

Per Clef's mental instructions, Emera placed herself in the center of it all. White light poured up from the floor and she could feel herself floating on air. She looked at her friends one last time, then at her parents. She couldn't stop the waterfall of tears from falling.

"I love you, mom. Dad."

"We love you, Emera," Fuu called to her daughter, just before she disappeared from sight. "We're watching over you. Always."




"Emera! Emera wake up?!"

The girl bolted awake, unsure of where she was or who was calling to her. Groggily she lifted her eyes to see the Yurika's face. She blinked several times allowing her friend's concerned eyes and happy smile to come into focus.

"You really had us scared you know," Yurika went on, enveloping her friend in a tight hug. "When you said you wanted to visit the souvenir stand, I didn't think you'd stop to take a nap, too."

Emera blinked, confused. "A nap? But I --"

Carefully, Emera removed herself from her friend's grasp and took a good look around. She was back at Tokyo Tower, on the observation deck where she had been before she disappeared. Several of her classmates, including her friend Yurika, were there, watching on with curious and concerned glances.

"Are you all right?"

"You really had us worried."

"Really, Emera, you should get more sleep."

"It's just not like you."

Emera allowed her friends to help her up as she briefly explained to them that she must've had a spell. From not eating. They immediately collected her things, handing her bookbag to her, and ushered her towards the elevator.

"Hey guys! Hold on --"

"You need to eat, Em," Yurika said, keeping a firm grasp on her arm. Then she smiled devilishly. "And I know where Jonah and his friends were sitting...."

Emera rolled her eyes. "Yuri!"

There was no arguing with her friends. Sighing, she allowed herself to be ushered away, pausing only once to look over her shoulder to the window. Smiling, she held her bookbag tightly to her chest. She had hoped that Mokona would've made it back with her, but perhaps he wasn't meant to. She missed his bouncy nature and cute smile already.

'Good-bye Mokona, Aunt Umi, Aunt Hikaru.' She sighed heavily. 'Mom and dad. Everyone.' She felt a light blush rise to her cheeks as she thought of Zan and their last encounter before her departure.

'"We will see each other again.' His voice echoed gently in her head. She sighed happily.

'I love you, and I'll miss you all.'

"Emera come on!" Yurika practically shouted in her ear.

Holding back the tears forming in her eyes, Emera joined her classmates on the elevator. There would be another opportunity. Clef had promised. All she had to do was believe.




On the opposite side of the Tower, a young man glanced out the observation window and down towards the ground. He'd wondered away from his schoolmates, who were quietly having lunch. His dark hair blended into the reflections of the window as his dark eyes scanned the ground. He could see the group of other classmates that had just left the observation deck. They were hard to make out, but their uniforms gave them away. He smiled happily, sighing in relief.

She was safe.

"Hey, Zan! Hurry up or lunch will be over!"

Zan turned towards his friends, waving his hand slightly. "Coming."

Turning back to the window, he watched as Emera and her friends disappeared from sight. He wanted, more than anything, to run downstairs and see her. Hold her. Tell her everything. But his time would come. He was staying with his uncles after all, and she had to come to collect Hikari....

"Come Mokona, we must leave now."

From behind a potted plant, a small marshmallow looking creature bounced happily. In a short burst of light he turned into a brown schoolbag and a boxed lunch. Zan smiled.

"Zan, come on, man. Don't dawdle."

"Gomen, Tsunami-kun," he apologized with a smile. Walking cautiously, he maneuvered over to his friends. "I was...distracted."



~END~

AUTHOR'S NOTES:
WAI! It's the end of the story! *does a happy dance* I can't believe it. I'm sure I'll get alot of..."what kind of ending it that!?" kind of inquiries. That's what happens when friends make me watch the entire Fushigi Yuugi anime, including the OVAs. *sigh* Trust me it was much more painful for me. I like Fushigi Yuugi, but there is just so much angst at times I want to throttle either Tomahome or Miaka. Besides, I had to leave this open for a sequel and kind of make a happy ending just incase I didn't write another story. In either case, I really hope you enjoyed the story. Thanks for reading! Arigato gozaimasu! *bows*