Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Maybe This Time ❯ Chapter Six - Run Away ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Previously On Chapter Five
 
“I went here to your room in search of you, Umi, and…” Fuu pulled out a magazine under her cushion and showed it to Umi. The Water Knight's eyes grew wide in surprise, it was the size of dinner plates and you can quite tell she was petrified in awe. She stopped dead in her tracks, as her body began to tremble, taking the magazine from Fuu's hand; her image printed on the cover.
 
“Fuu, I…”
 
---
 
[Maybe This Time]
Chapter 6: Run Away
 
“Maybe this time
It'll be lovin' they'll find
Maybe now they can be more than just friends
She's back in his life
And it feels so right
Maybe this time...
Maybe this time
Maybe this time love won't end”
 
-Maybe This Time, Michael Murphy”
 
---
 
She shook her head and placed a hand over Umi's. “Was this that's been bothering you these past few days?”
 
Umi nodded, “I thought I could keep this from you, well, until I find the right words to explain myself… but I guess you caught me.”
 
“I see,” Fuu tersely responded, looking at the photograph of Umi in the cover being held out a ring by a young bachelor in a party of sort.
 
“Yes. Remember the reunion I went to, with my parents? It was where it all started…” she bitterly said, brows frowning.
 
“I also got worried when we were to go back here. Actually, I was reluctant, knowing that I'd see Clef again. I refused him and Ascot. Though, Ascot you two already know- I only see him as a brother. But Clef, I just can't… I tried, but I failed. I failed miserably.”
 
They all sat there with their hearts heavy with grief, most especially Umi.
 
“My grandparent's, they arranged a fixed marriage for me; for the clan, for the sake of the Ryuuzaki businesses; for the sake of money.” Umi smirked, retorting on her own words, “I had seen that coming though; I always knew it would come about.”
 
Hikaru and Fuu looked at her worriedly and questioningly, the former speaking up first. “What do you mean, you've seen it coming?”
 
Umi smiled gravely, combing her hair through her fingers, “Being born in a rich, wealthy and well-up family isn't always as good as the media makes it looks like. So we have plush-carpeted floors, huge mansions, luxurious cars, all the things anyone could want materially in life…” she stop to take a deep breath and closed her eyes, “but all those, they are just there to satisfy what we lack in life. And that's freedom. We're unhappy, for most part. Our tangible wants and needs maybe be sufficed, but our hearts are always empty.”
 
The Fire Knight moved closer, “Oh Umi…” she hugged her friend close, cuddling on her soft blue hair.
 
“What about Clef? Are you…” Fuu asked sadly, looking in Umi's eyes that had the same sadness, as if trapped in her own dilemma.
 
---
 
The next morning, Hikaru and Fuu woke up an hour late for breakfast. They all stayed up late that night, or were it already morning at that time? Fuu was the first to get out of bed, brushing her soft curls back in place as Hikaru yawned herself to open the windows.
 
“Where's Umi?” Hikaru rubbed the sleep away from her eyes as she walked towards Fuu to look at herself in the mirror. Fuu simply shrugged her shoulders-
 
“She must've left for breakfast earlier, seeing that we've already missed it.” Fuu looked out the window and saw the morning sun shining brightly in the sky. She and Hikaru fixed themselves up in their own rooms and changed back into more appropriate clothing's as they ventured their way to the dinning hall.
 
“Good morning!” Hikaru chirped, running towards Lantis into a hug. Fuu greeted them after Hikaru did and settled herself to her seat; Ferio giving her a kiss as he cleared out of his place, and turned to leave.
 
Clef also rose from his seat and turned to Hikaru and Fuu, “Is Umi still asleep?” The two young ladies looked at each other in question.
 
“Eh, wasn't she here having breakfast with you?” Hikaru answered back with a question, “She wasn't in bed when Fuu and I woke up, so we thought…”
 
“You thought..?” Clef perched on the side of his chair, urging either Hikaru or Fuu to answer him.
 
Fuu's heart skipped beat, “We thought she was here with you guys…” she turned to Hikaru, who immediately rose from her seat and tagged along the appointments on her side of the table, making a crash on the floor as her plate shattered into pieces with the fork and knives clunk on the marble floor.
 
“Hikaru, are you alright?” Lantis moved to his side and saw Hikaru's distress in her eyes. Ferio rushed back in the dining hall when he heard the crash; there, he found Hikaru and Fuu exchanging looks of fear.
 
“Is something…” He began, but Clef's voice stood out more as he slightly roared out his question. “Hikaru, Fuu, what's wrong? And where is Umi..?”
 
The two could not break their shock, eyes worriedly asking each other.
 
“Umi,” Hikaru shakily shook her head towards Fuu, who seemed to have undermined her state of shock when she tugged on Hikaru in panic. “No, no- she can't, Hikaru…”
 
“Fuu, do you think…” Hikaru desperately grasped Fuu's hand, “What date is it now, in Tokyo?”
 
Fuu's gasped, “Oh no…”
 
With hands held together, they both scurried away from the hall and back to Umi's chambers. They're lack of input and explanation alarmed their friends and had them running behind them.
 
Hikaru stormed inside the room and searched Umi in the bathroom, while Fuu checked the closet. Upon finding the entire room empty, Hikaru and Fuu rejoined back in the bedroom where everyone confusedly looked at the two of them. The two Magic Knights were pale and in the brink of tears.
 
“Tell me, what's going on?!” Clef could no longer contain his frustration and walked heavily to them.
 
Fuu turned to him with tears in her eyes; Hikaru, dashing to Lantis where she cried her heart out.
 
“She left.” Green eyes, with all its honesty and sadness communicated with his; Clef didn't understand, what happened.
 
“Umi, she was having troubles. She didn't want to tell.” Hikaru's voice muffled against Lantis' chest plate, her sobs briefly ceasing her every word. “She left.”
 
“What?” Clef was more confused now than ever. Didn't she just tell him she loves him last night? Why did she leave, and without even telling him of her problems. “But, she was just here… last night…”
 
“Umi can't stay for long. She's to be…” Fuu couldn't bring herself to tell Clef the bad news, she knew he loves Umi very much; it would break him if he finds out. “No, I can't- it's…” She rushed out of the room, hands held to her face as she cried away from the crowd.
 
Clef then turned to Hikaru; “Fixed marriage…” the young lady slumped down on the floor, sporadically telling Umi's story the way she told them last night.
 
“She said she had no choice…”
 
---
 
…Umi suppressed a sob and turned to Fuu.
 
“I love him,” she said, her words reflecting in her eyes. It was obvious how much she loves him, and they could both see her almost breaking down at the thought of having to leave him behind. “But I have no choice,” she bit her lips in frustration, the tears fleeing away from her eyes, “even so; I'll love him like no other. He's my world, and I'll never forget him.”
 
---
 
Back in Tokyo, Umi returned to her parent's house, who as much as her, was devastated at the idea of a fixed marriage of their only child. They could see that sadness in her eyes, and the couple knew Umi left someone dear for his cause, and it tore their hearts into pieces. Their precious child was be wed to a man she barely knows; worst, she heed no feelings for the said man.
 
Mrs. Ryuuzaki turned to her husband, tears pouring down from her eyes; “Is there anything we can do?” she asked, clutching the fabric of his clothes as she pulled herself to him, crying.
 
“If there was a way, but you know him. Father is always strict when it comes to things like this, and I don't want Umi to be on the end of his temper.”
 
---
 
Clef stared out the sky that evening; it was dark and there were no stars. Everything was covered by the dark clouds in the horizon; the heaviness of the clouds was the same as his heart.
 
“Umi, I'll never forget…”
 
He whispered under his breath, missing his dear Umi as he looked down on the Water Knight's fountain, remembering the event that took place in the same spot, the fountain being the witness of his confession to her.
 
---
 
“Dear Diary,
 
I left Cephiro earlier today without telling them. It was so hard to leave them behind, but I just can't find the courage to bid them goodbye, especially Clef. It hurts, hurts so much. He loves me, and our love is yet to flourish, but fate is cruel to give us so little time to be with each other. Though, I have no regrets; I found out that my love, is after all, not unrequited. In fact, he loves me so much. I could feel it; feel it in his eyes, his words, his kisses, embrace- all of it! I know he loves me.
 
But now, I am here… waiting for my hairdresser and make-up artist to fix me up for my wedding. I simply can't put myself in this idea; I may be physically here, but my heart, mind and soul is in Cephiro; in him- Clef, oh how I love saying his name over and over. I'll never forget him. I won't cease to love him.
 
XoXo,
Ryuuzaki, Umi”
 
---
 
“Wow, you're such a beautiful bride, Umi!”
 
One of the hand maidens exclaimed; how dense was this so-called childhood friend of hers not to notice the sadness in her eyes. Umi was known for her shrewd, cold and snobby behavior, so for her to not actually speak a lot in front of these friends of hers, was quite normal. They never sought Umi as an affectionate person, and to them, this marriage really didn't bother her, knowing that all she cares for was to shop at New York and Paris for the latest trends and have coffee in exquisite hotels in Tokyo during break. But deep inside, Umi had discarded all those materiality of the Earthly needs; the only thing she wants now was to be free and go back to Cephiro, to be with Clef.
 
`To be with Clef…' she found herself mentally repeating over and over and had not noticed that it was just her and her mom left in the room.
 
“Umi,” Mrs. Ryuuzaki smiled at Umi wholeheartedly, holding her child close in her arms. “You're strong, opinionated and smart. I'm sure you'll know when a decision is right or wrong. I expect a lot from you.”
 
Umi couldn't make out what her mom meant, but still lingered in the embrace, suppressing the tears that were about to escape.
 
“Mom,” Umi called out lastly, before her mother exited the room; “Yes, Umi dear?” the startlingly beautiful lady turned to her, smiling sincerely despite the tears she's about to break.
 
“I love you,” she sighed, matting down the satin skirt of her gown. “You and dad, I love you; I'm sorry if I let you down… all of you…”
 
---
 
It had been months in Cephiro's timeline, and Clef was still depressed from Umi's sudden departure. Though he tries so hard to hide it from everyone, they know he's hurting within. One time, Lantis came to Clef's room only to find him sulking in one corner of his room, leaving his books astray on his desk; and when Lantis decided to leave, Clef stood right behind him as if nothing happened. The Knight knew he was posing, the tear marks says it so, but the Mage was stubborn and asked him to proceed right to business.
 
This all happened so quickly. Days turned into weeks, and weeks into months; Clef was certainly longing for Umi, and the pain was unbearable. He understood her situation when Hikaru and Fuu explained Umi's side of the story and her problem- but Clef couldn't get over the fact that she left; that's she's gone to marry another man in her world. He was crumbling, and the only cure was Umi.
 
And another night passed on with him mourning over a lost love. He was defeated in a battle he never knew was already at front. Umi, the love of his life chose to leave without breaking his heart directly; Clef knew why she did this, but he at least wanted to hold her for the last time. And yet, fate deprived him of that- of her.
 
---
 
Umi sat languidly in the back seat of her luxurious bridal car. The way the wedding was prepared, it could've been any girl or lady's dream wedding. A beautiful couture gown designed and made by a famous designer, a good looking groom, a fabulous entourage, the intricately adorned wedding hall and reception and all the things the bride could wish for; it was there. All laid out before her, waiting for everything to fall into place as Umi emerged out of the car. Everyone set eyes on her; and from the crowd, she could hear comments about how wonderful she looked, some of them discussing business and fortune that befalls the now to-be-wed “couple”, and the sort.
 
Her eyes began to wonder around her, as one of her friend's patted her shoulder and encouraged her not to be nervous. Umi didn't quite pay attention, but knew all too well what she was on about and thought-
 
`Clef, what have I done? You must be suffering there now, and I'm here… causing all this pain and heartache for you…'
 
The next thing she knew was something warm wrapping it's self around her. There, she found her mother hugging her, and her dear father soothing her back for comfort. In their eyes she found the same sorrow in hers. Umi felt glad; she didn't feel alone, knowing that her parents understood her feelings.
 
After the greetings and embraces given to her by family and guests, the music began to play in the background and Umi began to march down the aisle with both of her parents on her side. They were already halfway, and she saw the eagerness and desire of the man at the end and felt fear in her heart.
 
“Umi,” her father firmly spoke despite the choking in his voice, grasping her arm to feel, “it's not too late. You can back out, if you want to.”
 
Her eyes widened as she slightly tilted her head to look at her father. Umi felt her heart leap, was her ears deceiving her?
 
“Dear child, your father and I love you too. It's not too late.” Now, it was her mother speaking. They were now almost at the end, and the man she's about to marry stepped closer and reached his hand for her. Umi stood there and looked at his hand then to his face; she turned to both her parents as if seeking approval, and they nod their heads in response.
 
“Thank you.” She smiled sweetly, just like the Umi they knew.
 
With a step backward, Umi ripped the tiara off her head along with the long veil that came long with it. Her skirt swayed along her movement, as she spun and ran out of the hall, holding her gown away from her feet.
 
There were loud gasps of surprise and anger in the room. Everyone stood from their seats as she ran away, fleeing the ceremonies. The man almost flew from his feet to chase Umi, but was ceased by her father. Then a commotion began, as Umi's grandmother and grandfather shouted the explanation away from her parents.
 
While all these was going on, Umi continued to dash away, even if she was being chased close behind by the family guards to get her back to the wedding hall. But Umi was determined to flee, even with her stilettos on. And without knowing, she had run towards Tokyo Tower. The people on the streets looked at her curiously, what was a bride doing here running? Then the next events explained it to them, as men clad in black and white followed in pursuit of her; she was a run away bride.
 
Umi huffed and puffed when she reached the elevator, still in shock from the swift occurrences from the wedding.
 
“I ran away. I wasn't supposed to- but I did…” she said in between breaths, the people in the elevator looked at her dumbfounded as she began to laugh with her head turned down. `Thank you, mom… dad…'
 
At the top floor, the elevator bell rang and Umi stepped out quickly away from the crowd. She found the spot where she, Hikaru and Fuu stood the other day; willing that they return to Cephiro.
 
“Clef, I love you…”
 
Umi closed her eyes shut; she knew that the portal was closed, and that she can't go back. Her heart sank heavily on her chest; how she wanted to be with Clef now. If only she could return.
 
“Miss Umi!” a voice snapped her out from the distance; the guards had followed her back up Tokyo Tower, and she had no escape now.
 
Umi paced backwards and to the end of the observatory, hoping for escape. Sadly, she was cornered. The formed a semi-circle around her, ready to take her away and back to the wedding. She wouldn't let that happen. They have to go over her dead body before they could- her dead body.
 
Then it struck her; what was life without Clef anyway? She can't live a life on Earth, knowing that someone out there has his heart crushing because she left. She couldn't. Umi stepped further back, and had her self leaning upon the railing. She looked down on the busy street below; she was so high up, and there was no other way.
 
Again, she closed her eyes and sighed heavily. She smiled sadly at the guards, as she propped her hands to pick her up from the rail, as she let herself fall down her death. The guards grasped out to her aid, but were all too late. She began descending down fast, her hair and gown fluttering in the air.
 
“I'll never forget Clef...”
 
---
 
Clef stood watching Cephiro's daily activities out from the main balcony. Early that morning, he remembered what he said to her, which might have driven her away.
 
---
 
…“Clef, aren't you tired of this?” Umi asked, referring to him being the Master Mage of Cephiro. “I mean, you're over seven centuries old; and all those time, most, if not, all of it… you spend in service to Cephiro.” She looked into his eyes; welling up with emotions and need.
 
Clef nodded, “I know,” he held her even closer, inhaling her sweet frail scent. “That's why I want to be with you.” After that, he breathed a heavy sigh and looked down at her, fret and agony impending his gaze. “But I don't think Cephiro is ready for such a drastic change; especially for someone who has been around before they were even born.”
 
“Oh, I see…” was Umi's monotonous respond, whose face is now buried in her lover's chest…
 
---
 
“I'm so sorry…” he clenched his fist around his staff, his teeth gritting in self anger. He drove her away; from Cephiro, her friends- from him. How could he have been so dense that time, when just a few nights before, he was chanting to himself that he'd never let go- and that he'd do anything and everything to be with her? But now, she left. He broke his own promise to himself, he failed her; he failed himself. He was the only one to blame. If he had told her that he'd be more than willing to leave his post as the Master Mage; if only he had told her how much she really meant to her; if only…
 
“Fool; I'm such a fool…”
 
Hands crept around his body; and behind him, was something soft, warm and gentle. “You're not.” Then it spoke, softly. It was familiar; the feeling, the voice…
 
“Umi,”
 
Clef turned to face the source of the voice, and found her standing there, a luminous glow of love and happiness wrapping her. His breath was taken away, by her. He didn't know where to start, but she ceased him with her lips and kissed him briefly; but still remained covered in his embrace.
 
“Maybe this time, we can finally stay forever…” her voice fluttered in his ears like angels singing in the heavens, she was so beautiful in that dress; though she looked exhausted and paled, he wondered why.
 
Upon seeing that look in his face, she smiled “I ran away, `cause it wasn't him that I loved.” She reached her hands to his face and gently cupped his cheeks, as he leaned against it lovingly. “The man before me is the one who owns my heart. I can never be happier. Being here right now is enough to take my breath away.”
 
“Clef, I love you.” She said warmly, her face drawn close to his. “I love you too, Umi.”
 
As their lips met, everything fell right into place; she, with him and him, with her. It was perfect. They were in love, and the passion grew between them even more. It felt good to be with her and he couldn't get over that fact that she discarded her families will for him; something that he didn't do for her.
 
After a few more lasting moments, the cold began to course through him. Did she pull away from him? As he opened his eyes to look at her, she began to dissipate in his sight; happy, yet sad face looking right back at him. And with a smile, she raised a hand to him and waved-
 
“This was something I didn't get to do before. But now, not saying it would be my regret.”
 
Somehow, he felt a sharp pain in his heart. He was shivering, what was going on?
 
“Goodbye Clef. I'll never forget…”
 
Then she was gone. Was it just a dream? Is his mind playing games with him again? His eyes began to swell with tears.
 
“Umi…”
 
Somewhere outside the castle, was a voice shouting her name. It was Hikaru, mounting over everyone else's. “I wasn't dreaming!” he exclaimed, tapping his staff in a hurry to where Hikaru was.
 
Everyone was there, gathered around in a circle with surprise and shock in their eyes. Clef appeared behind them and walked to them as soon as he got there. But there was something wrong. There was crying and sobbing everywhere. Even the male population in the circle had tears in their eyes; then Fuu started to clench her fists onto Ferio's shirt and began to cry as hysterically as Hikaru. He walked closer to ask them, but the sight sprawled on the floor gave him the best answer anyone could.
 
“Umi…”
 
There she lay, in the pool of her own blood. Her white dress stained all over. Clef walked timidly over her, cradling her in his arms as he began to rock back and forth, not noticing the tears that began to stream down his cheeks. She was dead; her spirit appeared to him to say goodbye. And she died because of him. She gave her life for their love- something that he couldn't. He should've, in the first place just left with her. And they would've been happy.
 
“No, I can't take this!” Fuu cried away from the crowd and was followed by Hikaru who cried her heart out back to the castle.
 
The rest of the group remained watching Clef whisper things to Umi's dead body; as much as they'd want to cease him before he goes crazy, they instead decided to leave him. Knowing that of all time, this is the one he'd want to have his time alone with her; just her.
 
“Forgive me. I should've…”
 
With one last cry, he buried his face to her lifeless bosom. Her chest heaved no breath, and her heart ceased from beating. She was truly lost to her now.
 
---
 
“Why did she do it, Fuu? Why?” Hikaru began to madly break the plates in the kitchen, while Fuu sat in one of the chairs and cried in her hands. Ferio and Lantis found the two there in hysteria; Umi's death truly tore a piece of them. Just like everyone else. They would miss her; even if she had been gone from Cephiro for five years, she remained alive in their hearts; but now, even in dreams they cannot see her with life.
 
There was nothing but crying for the past half hour, until a ground shaking earthquake took their attention. There was a massive explosion of magic down the Castle's underground lagoon. And even with broken hearts, they rushed down there as much as their exhausted bodies could give.
 
First, they found Umi dead in the garden- now what- An enemy emerging from somewhere in the Castle? They had their fill of distress for the day and the days to come. Umi's funeral hadn't even arranged yet.
 
Down the lagoon, the tremor stopped. And there, they found water swirling beautifully up in the air, as music played serenely in the background.
 
“W-what's going on..?” Fuu asked, wiping the tears away from her eyes.
 
They all shrugged and wandered around the place; they never knew such a place existed in the palace, and apparently, Lantis and Lafarga were the only one's who knew this area.
 
“Clef..!”
 
Presea shrieked in fear, pointing to a nearby wall behind them. There, Clef sat with a dagger stabbed to his heart, with Umi sitting beside him; hand in hand, their fingers where entwined with each other.
 
They were all shocked; Clef committed suicide because of Umi's death. Now, there were two of them dead, and it was all so sudden too. First, they found out about them, and Umi left for reasons already enough said. Then Clef results in depression, but then Umi returned only to be found dead. Now this!
 
---
 
Maybe this time
 
“Clef,”
 
Their heads darted towards the lagoon, as they heard a familiar voice pronouncing the Master Mage's name.
 
…It'll be lovin' they'll find…
 
“I love you. And I'll never forget.”
 
Umi's face was bright and pleasant; she was full of life and it radiated around her. And to her, was Clef- he was holding her hands, as they together danced a waltz, happily smiling at each other.
 
…Maybe now they can be more than just friends…
 
“Umi,”
 
He gently pressed his lips over her forehead and sighed, smiling at her contentedly.
 
…She's back in his life…
 
“I love you too. And I'll never forget.”
 
Everyone watched this parade of love in front of them. How was this possible, when they were right behind them, both dead? Then they remembered, Cephiro was the land where Will was everything. Clef and Umi's love for each other hand surpassed even death. And there, they were able to be together- `till eternity.
 
And it feels so right…
 
The two lovers turned to their group of friends; they both had smiles on their faces, and love certainly painted their gazes. Umi walked to Clef's side to get a better view of her friends, her arms held to his chest.
 
“Thank you, everyone; Hikaru, Fuu- I wish you happiness. All of you.”
 
…Maybe this time, Maybe this time…
 
Clef smiled at them, and held Umi close. He had never looked happier; even in death, they were all glad the two were happy.
 
“Take care of Cephiro. Its good graces shall bless you with happiness and love. Be well, my friends.”
 
Then the two began to move again, as they danced over the water in a waltz of love they seemed to favor. Their dear friends watched as they faintly disappeared in the mist, their voices fluttering in the air.
 
---
 
To Be Continued…
 
---
 
Author's Note: Please read the finale, after this and don't forget to review! -Hugs-