Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ The Ramarian Crisis ❯ Chapter 2: Alternate Plans ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Ramarian Crisis

By DarkHorse

Chapter 2: Alternate Plans

Present Day on the Starship Weret, Thousands of Light Years Outside the Solar System

Standing alongside Supreme Commander Drak, the scientist Higon stared out of the command center's view screen into a star cluster. One of those stars represented the sun of the solar system that was their destination. The view screen was panoramic so that when he turned to his left and right, he could see both flanks of the starship. There were two battle ships on the left and three on the right. What were not shown were the hundreds of similar battle ships, attack cruisers and star destroyers that trailed the lead starship Higon himself was in.

There were 513 of these space vessels in all, representing just a little over 10 million Ramarians. This was what was left of the eleven-planet system called Ramar. Over 56 billion of his kind, he was sure, were annihilated when their star died. There were probably those who were able to escape since star travel was never a restriction but Higon knew they would only prolong the inevitable. Without the resources that this battle group had the sense to bring along for the journey, the others would not survive the cold of space. Should they stumble upon a planet, they would also not have the resources to make it habitable.

56 billion. It was fortunate that as a race, Ramarians were extremely practical and thus, none shed a tear for those who lost their bio-electronically enhanced lives. It was also fortunate that he was able to convince Supreme Commander Drak of the urgency to finally leave Ramar.

A charismatic leader, he was able to lead an uprising, which resulted in the ousting of Fram and his supporters in the council. That, in itself, was a bloody affair resulting in the deaths of thousands. In the end, Drak, now head of the council, began plans for escaping. That it took forty iatas before the departure was actually effected was, now, of little consequence.

Only two things grated on Higon: first, of the 40-man team he had, all of which he knew would be needed on this expedition, only 20 were allowed to join. These 20, including him, were supposed to attend to the medical and technological needs of the entire contingent! Granted, there were robots that can do most of the work that were deemed menial, but still…

The second thing that grated on him was that he had actually miscalculated the length of time it would take to reach their destination. The bloody revolution that accompanied Drak's ascension to power also resulted in the loss of most of their faster space vessels. As such, they had to make do with the older models, which naturally could only travel so fast. At their current pace, it would take another 35 iatas before they reach the solar system, which was their destination.

Higon wasn't sure whether he would even survive to see this Promised Land of a solar system. He was, after all, already 211 iatas old[1]. Nevertheless, he was determined. In his mind, he above all, will be able to save his race from extinction. As it is, he is working round the proverbial clock training up new technicians out of the mostly warrior-class population. What a fool Drak is, Higon thought darkly. Warriors do not create civilizations, scientists like myself do!

"Scientist," Drak said in that imperial tone of his, breaking Higon out of his reverie. "There is an urgent message for you." Higon raised an eyebrow in reply. The message could only come from Rogo but he was not yet scheduled to send a report for days.

Higon took the portable terminal from Drak and read the message. It was only a two-word message and yet, he had to read and re-read it just to make sure he was not imagining what it said.

"Wormholes are a thing of fiction, scientist."

My name is Higon, you fool! Must these military-types be so superior? Higon glanced at Drak darkly. "Rogo is no fool."

"So you say," was Drak's only retort.

Rogo, of course, was handpicked by Higon to speed ahead to Earth to do reconnaissance. His military background and his aptitude in technical matters made him uniquely qualified for this mission. Taking the computer with him, Higon turned away from the front view screen. "If you will excuse me, Drak, I need to do some research." Without waiting for Drak's acknowledgement, he left the command center towards his own laboratory inside the starship.

Only when the Higon was completely out of the command center did Drak look back towards the direction the head scientist took. It grated on him that someone who was only a scientist should address him simply as "Drak". He will need to put him in his place one of these days.

* * * * *

Inside his laboratory, facing an impressive array of computers, Higon brought himself up-to-date on the research of wormholes. Strides have apparently been made towards this direction, some of which Higon, himself, was not aware of until now. However, what Drak said was still true: it was impossible to create wormholes, at least not with current and available technology. This was primarily due to the tremendous amount of energy and power that would be needed to create them. Energy and power of this magnitude was something they could not generate even when Ramar was still in existence, much less now.

So if Rogo truly discovered the existence of a wormhole…on Earth!? That was impossible! Rogo made it abundantly clear by providing detail upon comprehensive detail of the kinds of technology that was currently available on that planet. Surely, the earthlings could not have created their very own wormhole.

Rogo was no fool. Of this he would stake his remaining iatas. He leaned back on his chair. Patience was a virtue he had learned a long time ago. All will be revealed in due time. Of that he was certain.

* * * * *

From the bottom of Tokyo Tower, Rogo and his team could hear the screams of women. The fact that the sounds were actually coming from several stories up is a small testament to the sensitivity of their hearing brought about by bio-electronic implants.

The team raced upwards, taking the stairs three, sometimes four at a time, in speeds unheard of for a normal human being. Rogo and his teammates were, of course, not human. By the time they reached the 23rd floor, Crata, barely winded, paused to scan the surroundings. "This is the floor."

"Where?"

"That way," Crata replied pointing towards the direction of the female restroom. They all ran at top speed towards it, barely noticing three young girls leaving the room. So intent on actually seeing a live wormhole that they did not immediately realize that the last three people to leave the restroom were those very same they ignored as they broke through the restroom door.

Rogo and Crata were the first inside. After a few seconds of scanning, it was clear that the portal was no longer there. Even though both were disappointed, they did not bother to show it. "The portal was definitely here." Crata moved along the far wall of the restroom and stopped. She put up the computer against the wall and slowly nodded. "This is it alright. The portal was right against this wall. The computer can still detect the power signature."

"Interesting. Any new information?"

Crata shook her head. "Nothing we didn't already have about this phenomenon."

Rogo walked out the restroom. He had to step on what used to be the door, making a lot of noise in the process. Already people around the Tower were looking at him. Rogo scanned the entire area. Of the many people looking at him, one of them caught his attention. It was that of a little girl with red hair. There was something about her…

Grat, noting the look on his leader's face, also glanced at the direction Rogo was looking at. "She's cute for an earthling." That earned Grat a dangerous glare from Dasma.

Crata, ever the observant one, also looked at the direction of the red-haired girl. "I could be mistaken, but that looks like one of the three that last left this room."

Rogo looked at Crata. "Are you sure?"

In response, Crata squinted her eyes and focused on the redhead, now accompanied by a taller blue-haired girl and a shorthaired blonde. "I'm sure."

"They are nothing but girls." Rogo continued to stare at the redhead girl who surprisingly was returning his stare unflinchingly. "Could it be…?"

* * * * *

"I can't believe you did that Hikaru!" Umi fumed once again. "You consider the ladies' room private?"

"Well, Miss Umi, at least we cleared the room for our own use, didn't we?" Fuu smiled her disarmingly engaging smile but Umi was clearly not falling for it and she promptly harrumphed at her.

Hikaru, on the other hand, was totally unresponsive and once again lagged behind her two best friends as they made their way to the elevators. Just as Umi and Fuu were about to enter the elevator, out of instinct, they turned to make sure their leader was with them. True enough, she wasn't. Umi stomped out of the elevator, clearly peeved. "I wonder what it is this time."

Both Knights found her just outside the hallway that led to the elevators. She was staring fixedly ahead.

"Hey you guys…see that strange man?" Hikaru said in a low voice, her eyes never leaving the "strange man" in question. What was amazing to both Umi and Fuu was that Hikaru was able to sense their presence even without turning.

"What are you talking about? I see a bunch of strange men around." Umi said. When Hikaru didn't respond, she decided to look at the direction of her eyes. What she saw was an impressive specimen of a man but he was, by her definition, not strange at all. Just your average gaijin. And yet the man seemed to be staring back at Hikaru.

"It appears that that man is looking at us. As if he knows something." Fuu had her hand, slightly closed as in a fist, up by her chest, which she does when she's nervous or unsure.

Umi and Fuu both heard the sharp intake of breath from Hikaru. When they looked back at the man she was locking eyes with, they understood. Not only were there four of them now staring at them, they were walking briskly towards them!

"Oooh, I have a bad feeling about this," Umi said as she tugged at Hikaru's sleeve. "Shouldn't we go already?"

"Miss Hikaru, Miss Umi, I think it is truly best that we leave right now," Fuu pleaded, slowly backing away.

Despite her trepidation, Hikaru stood her ground. "Wait."

The taller girls exchange looks. They could not and would not abandon their leader so Umi went to Hikaru's right side, while Fuu took the other and waited. They didn't have to wait long. In just a few seconds, the four were already in front of them. The tall guy who Hikaru had been staring at had a smile on his face.

"Hello there," the tall guy said to Hikaru in accented Japanese.

"Hello," Hikaru responded, looking up (as always) to the tall man. She then glanced at the other three that accompanied him.

"I'm sorry but I'm sure you don't get approached very often, but you have the most amazing red hair I've seen," the man said amiably.

Oh puhleeeease, Umi rolled her eyes. She turned to Hikaru. She couldn't be buying that line, could she?

"Thank you," Hikaru responded flatly, her face revealing nothing.

"My name is Roger Simmons. I'm a photographer," said "Roger" as he presented his business card in the proper Japanese way, with two hands and a slight bow. Hikaru looked down briefly enough just to receive the card. "I'd really like to photograph you, if you are interested."

Hikaru nodded slowly, and then looked down to examine the business card she held in her two hands more closely. Looking up once more, she said: "I'll have to think about it."

"Very well," Roger said, smiling his smile that was calculated to dazzle any female. "May I have the pleasure of your name?"

Umi and Fuu were already expecting that Hikaru would blurt out her name just like she always does. But Hikaru completely surprised them.

"I'm sorry but I don't think it is wise to give you my name at this time." Hikaru said evenly. "Perhaps after I consider your offer."

The man who called himself Roger Simmons didn't seem surprised. "Very well. In that case, I shall eagerly await your call." Roger Simmons bowed once more than turned to leave. His companions followed suit except a raven-haired woman who looked down at Hikaru for a second before turning to leave as well.

The three Magic Knights stared at the retreating backs of the foursome. Only when the four were finally swallowed up by the crowd did both Umi and Fuu turn and address their First Knight.

"What was that all about?" Umi asked as she reached out to touch Hikaru's arm.

"Are you alright, Miss Hikaru? You don't look very well." Fuu said with concern etched on her face.

"That man…" Hikaru began, her eyes were still focused forward as if she was still seeing him in the distance. "There is something definitely not right about him."

"I'll say," said Umi, indignantly. "Why he's old enough to be your father!"

"Why Miss Umi, if I didn't know you better, I'd think you're peeved because he noticed Miss Hikaru instead of you," Fuu teased.

"Why I never…" Umi stared incredulously at the blonde girl. Her comment broke the spell and Hikaru had to smile at her indignant friend.

"You really are funny sometimes, Umi," Hikaru said grinning widely. "But seriously, something tells me we haven't seen the last of Mr. Simmons."

"Do you think we need to do something about it?" Fuu asked, concerned.

"Yeah, watch your back." With that Hikaru turned towards the elevators, with the Water Knight and Wind Knight in tow.

* * * * *

Seated beside Grat inside the van, Rogo watched as the three girls walked away. He was about to turn to Grat and issue a command when he noticed that the red-haired girl stopped to look directly at him. Rogo tensed and visibly relaxed a millisecond later after remembering that the windshield was heavily tinted. And yet…and yet, the girl was looking straight at him. To say that it was unnerving was an understatement. Rogo grew up in a civilization where everything could be explained by science and yet here was something totally inexplicable. After a few seconds of staring, the girl walked on.

"Do you think she saw us?" Grat asked, equally unnerved as his leader.

Rogo was grateful for the comment because it broke the spell he seemed to be under. "I don't think it's possible, especially without special equipment."

"Equipment or no equipment, those three girls were definitely exuding some serious energies." Both Rogo and Grat turned to focus on Crat.

"What do you mean?" Rogo asked, his eyebrows raised. Something told him he wasn't going to like the answer.

In response to the question, Crata gave Rogo her portable computer scanner. "When we approached those girls, I left the scanner on hoping to get some sort of reading. If you will notice here," Crata pointed to some statistical information on the tiny holographic display. "These are energy readings that were picked up. And here," Crata pointed to an image outline of the three girls. "There were no signs of any equipment on them that were technological in nature."

"Hey, are you saying the energy levels shown here are coming from their bodies?" Grat had a look on his face that was akin to fear.

"I'm not saying that, Grat. I'm merely showing you what the computer analyzed."

"Is it normal for human beings to exude energy at these levels?" Grat persisted.

Crata shook her head slowly. "No. At least not that I know of."

Rogo fell silent, his mind busy trying glue together pieces of the information he had just received but for some reason, they were not sticking. It was rare that he showed emotion but at this stage, it couldn't be helped. Both Grat and Crata saw Rogo's eyebrows furrow in displeasure.

"We will have to watch those girls."

* * * * *

It was dark and quiet in the research center aboard the starship Weret save for the light emanating from Higon's personal work area. Higon was reclining on his form-contouring seat, looking up at the sturdy paneling that made up the ceiling in his particular part of the laboratory. He had just finished reading all the data sent to him by Rogo two days ago. It was seventh time he had done so.

An energy source powerful enough to fold space/time continuum and punch a hole large enough to travel in, was information one doesn't swallow very easily. Even more so after discovering that the source of that tremendous power resides in human beings. Even more so after discovering that the source were three young females. For the umpteenth time, Higon's brows furrowed in deep concentration.

As a race, for several millennia past, they have perfected the science of enhancing biological life forms with mechanical and electronic implants. It was technology that he was sure the sentients on Earth would sure to want desperately. From what he has understood so far based on Rogo's periodic reports, human beings are so easily afflicted with physical maladies ranging from simple myopia to the debilitating cancer. To be sure, Ramarians have had those diseases too but they were things of ancient past as attested by the fact that the Higon, a powerhouse of stored knowledge, had to look "myopia" up in the Ramarian archives. But for all their biotechnological advancements, Ramarians do not possess "internal energies". And certainly not in the amounts that the Rogo's data indicated.

He had to agree with Rogo's recommendation. The situation bears further scrutiny. The situation also requires an alteration of plans. Drak would be a problem, Higon decided. As soon as that imbecile of a Supreme Commander got Rogo's report describing the military capabilities of Earth's most powerful country, Drak has ordered a "full speed ahead" towards Earth. So eager was he to conquer this "weak" world. Just like the bully that he is. Until Higon, got this latest report, he was in total agreement with Drak's course of action. After all, they have been traveling for too many iatas already. Their food resources were dwindling. Despite constant war games aboard most of the battleships, the people were becoming extremely restless. Their hyperspace capacitors have been breaking down every so often further impeding their progress. The sooner they got their collective feet on solid planetary ground and begin the work of reestablishing their civilization, the better for all of them.

But, and a big "but" it is, if such a source does exist, it would be dangerous to continue on their present path. They were after all, the last of their kind. The situation does bear further scrutiny. The next question is, how to convince Drak. Presenting him with the data would be useless. He wouldn't be able to understand, not with that tiny brain of his, technological enhancement notwithstanding.

After a few more minutes of contemplation, Higon leaned forward to face the console. He didn't even have to utter a single command. The computers they had were sensitive to the neural implants each Ramarian had. Within a few seconds, the face of Drak appeared on his screen.

"There is a development," was all Higon had to say.

"Very well," was the only reply.

From the iatas of association Higon and Drak had with each other because of this odyssey, they both understood that the word "development" always meant they had to meet. Higon stood and picked up his hand terminal before finally leaving the laboratory.



[1] Normal Ramarian lifespan is 175 iatas or almost 200 Earth years.


NEXT:

Chapter 3 - Secrets and Suspicions


AUTHOR'S NOTES:

C&C are very welcome. Please e-mail them to darkhrse0714@yahoo.com


DISCLAIMER:

Magic Knight Rayearth and all the characters in that anime/manga are properties of CLAMP. These are used here without permission.